Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Elite Fan

Happy March everyone!

I loathe February. For the shortest month, it drags on, so I am happy it's March. I would be happier if it were May, but it feels like we are on our way to spring

Old 03-01-2016, 09:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

I can't wait for spring I am sick of snow
Old 03-02-2016, 05:14 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
Happy March everyone!

I loathe February. For the shortest month, it drags on, so I am happy it's March. I would be happier if it were May, but it feels like we are on our way to spring

February is always tough for me, too. I hate to wish away time, but I'm already looking forward to the end of March. We will have a spring break from school, and I am looking forward to the premiere of Switched at Birth.

Plus, I like that the sunlight stays with us a bit longer in the spring and summer.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Extreme Fan

Hi everyone!

I was just talking with my brother the other day about the cold. Both of us hate it. He wants to transfer to a college down south, and when I'm done with library school, I hope to move somewhere where I'll only see snow when I come home to visit for the holidays.

Quote:
Hi guys! Yeah I'm feeling almost 90% better thank goodness! The good news is I accidentally lost five pounds in a week and every tells me I look awesome, the bad news is that I really miss food but it's still terrible for me to eat. Other than that I seem to be mostly good besides a pesky cough!

Oh and I just discovered another place we should all go see! Kawah Ijen Volcano! There is so much sulfur there that the lava burns blue (from the sulfur on top). It's amazing looking!
I hope you're feeling better! That volcano sounds amazing!

Quote:
I'm not sure how long it lasts. It's supposed to be six months, which would be ending soon, but I might stay on longer. We shall see.
I'm so sorry your internship isn't what you expected! I hope it gets better soon! Sending you positive vibes.

Quote:
The MLIS is really a lot of fun, though. What courses have you taken/will take? I'm guessing they were different than mine since I was specialized in IA. Any reason why you're sticking with Public Libraries? Also did you make sure to join your local associations and coops? They should help you find jobs and will be a great resource later on!
Your library work sounds like so much fun! My favorite part of working the Youth Services desk is the questions I'll get, although I haven't gotten any really interesting ones, not like Adult services gets... Last summer, I took the intro course to the degree program. Last fall (aka the semester from hell) I took a cataloging class, a reference class, and a young adult literature class (that class was a TON of reading, like 4-6 books a week; so that plus the cataloging class meant I felt like I was drowning the whole semester, not fun). The semester, I'm taking a children's literature class, a reader's advisory class, and a collection management class. I'm sticking with public because I feel like academic libraries would be just helping students with research, and from what I hear about school libraries, they're so short-staffed that they have to do everything themselves, and I don't like that kind of stress haha. Plus I'm not much of a kid person. I didn't choose to work in Youth Services when I started as a page years ago. Not that I regret it, because it's a job and I'm learning a lot (including what I might not want to do after school). I haven't joined anything, but I need to get on it!

Quote:
Are you excited for GG to come back?
I am SO pumped! I don't want to know spoilers, like what actually happens, but I love seeing pictures that people have taken of the set. I cannot want to go back to Stars Hollow for a little visit. that show means so much to me. Are you excited to watch?

Did anyone watch the Oscars? I am so excited Inside Out won, and I cannot wait to see Room. From what I've seen, in clips and stuff, Brie Larson deserved her Oscar, and Jacob T. looks adorable! I loved the book, it was so dark and messed up, but so good.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Master Fan

Our middle school has had the same two librarians for the last 25 years, and they are both retiring this June. Right now, the administrators are interviewing people for the two new positions. It's going to be strange next year.

The new librarians will probably change a lot. Our librarians try to stay current, but there are a lot of creative things happening in the world of library science and so much technology to be integrated, and our librarians never quite embraced all of that in the way that someone younger probably will.

It will be interesting to see the future through their new vision.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:11 AM
Dedicated Fan

It really depends on the academic library (when I say academic I mean university level). We were pretty short staffed at all three libraries I worked in, but I was never overworked. We left that to our student workers and library assistants. lol. It was nice to have a lot of freedom actually. If we wanted to implement new things, we just ran it by the director and ran with it! Since we were small it was easier to get things done. Plus, students only come in right before the end of the term. Otherwise, I spent most of my time doing working on our web presence, the database, ILLs, answering emails, and checking out books. I did do a bit for some of the professors' research projects and that was interesting! I even got my hands on a copy of Winnie the Pooh in Latin for a professor. Overall, academic libraries were pretty interesting but pretty laid back. Start and end of semesters are really the only busy times! And during summer, it was pretty much nothing.

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!
Old 03-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Master Fan

Anyone doing anything special for St. Patrick's Day?
Old 03-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Extreme Fan

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Does anyone watch Downton Abbey? I cannot believe the series finale is tonight.

Your stint in an academic library sounds like fun! I like that I can move anywhere I want after I'm done with school in a year. I need a place with good public transportation because I don't drive (I don't need all the options Chicago has) and I'd like to move somewhere warm, as I said earlier. Anyone have any recommendations?

One of the restaurants in my town has a St. Patrick's Day shindig, which basically means they serve a ton of beer and their usual food, but it's always really crowded. Anyway, I might go to that with my mom and stepfather, we shall see. What does everyone else have planned?
Old 03-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Master Fan

I've never watched Downton Abbey. I can still remember Bay referencing it to Noah, and Noah being oblivious to her reference.

A season or two ago, I do remember reading some big spoiler about a man who was a woman or vice versa or something of that nature. It seemed like a big reveal and very interesting, but I never started watching.

At our school, we have four seventh grade teams. In November, one of the teams did a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner and served it during our planning time (which is 8:30 to 10 AM, but oh, well).

Then, another team hosted a Valentine's Day brunch during our planning.

So now, our team has volunteered to host a St. Patrick's Day brunch.

There's only four of us on our team, and the math teacher's wife is in the hospital with preeclampsia and may deliver her baby tomorrow at 25 and a half weeks pregnant, so very scary. He has missed the last two days of work to stay by his wife's side, and he will not be there tomorrow. Depending on what happens, he may miss many more days of school, so obviously, we don't want to burden him with this celebration.

That means, each of us need to choose three things to bring.

Any suggestions from this list, on which three things I should choose? I really need help choosing!

• I could do a beautiful fruit rainbow with whipped cream clouds and Rolo Gold
  • I could also do the mini-Reuben sandwiches. Those are easy.
  • I could buy a breakfast pizza and/or a quiche or two from Martins.
  • I could do veggies with spinach dip.
  • I could do corn chips with salsa and/or guacamole.
  • I could buy cabbage stuffed with ground beef, rice, and onions in a sweet and sour sauce at The Fresh Market.
  • I could buy a strawberry rhubarb or deep dish apple pie at The Fresh Market.
  • I could buy a dessert platter at The Fresh Market. They are surprisingly reasonable in price, especially the cupcake and the continental breakfast platters. Here's the selection:
  • Continental Breakfast Platter (Scones, Butter Croissants and Filled Croissants, finished with an assortment of fresh fruit)
  • Dessert Platter (Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, Cheesecake, Petit Fours, Strawberry Cakes, Tuxedo Cakes, Mini Cannolis and Cream Cheese Icing Brownies)
  • Tea Cookie Assortment (Italian Cookies, Pillow Cookies, Mini Brownies, Mini Macaroons and Raspberry Bites)
  • Cupcakes (Vanilla, Chocolate and Red Velvet Cupcakes iced with your favorite color and sprinkle)
  • Tea Cakes (Cranberry Orange Pound Cake, French Vanilla Pound Cake, Old Fashioned Banana Nut Bread, Zucchini Nut Bread and garnished with fresh Grapes and Berries)
  • Pure Indulgence Dessert Bars (Super Fudge Brownies, Triple Chocolate Brownies, Bourbon Pecan Bars and Lemon Bars, garnished with fresh fruit)
  • Raspberry Almond Take-and-Bake Brie
  • Also, I could buy a sandwich platter at The Fresh Market:
  • Wrap Sandwiches: Chicken Caesar, Italian Meat, Greek Salad, Buffalo Chicken, Turkey Apple Brie or Turkey & Swiss
  • Deli Pin Wheels: Virginia Ham and Swiss Cheese, Roast Beef and Wisconsin Cheddar and Smoked Turkey and Havarti
  • Mini Croissants and Rolls with Chicken Salad, Tuna Salad, and/or Seafood Salad.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:26 AM
Dedicated Fan

Veggies with spinach dip all the way! And I guess the continental breakfast platter and dessert platter.

@lavitaebella I don't recommend moving to warm places...lol I hate them. But there are a few okay places that have more temperate weather and okay transportation. Depending where you live, Atlanta has the Marta (subway system). It's not bad but really hot during the summer. Then I guess your only other real option is a city in California. Most cities (especially in the south) have terrible public transport. Florida is exceptionally bad.

I also watched DA. I was confused for a minute when you said that it was just ending. LOL I saw the ending back in January so I had forgotten people hadn't seen the ending yet since it hadn't aired in the US.

And on OT news, I've been so busy lately that I threw my hands in the air, left work early, and went to the movies today. I saw The Finest Hours. I really really loved it! It was a little slow at the start but amazing none the less. I recommend it!

Old 03-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Extreme Fan

I would also recommend veggies with spinach dip! I love cupcakes, so they have my vote. I also like the wrap sandwiches. Aaaand now I'm hungry...

Haha I do not like Florida at all! It's too hot and muggy for me, although that's probably because we normally go in the summer on vacation. But I'm thinking maybe North Carolina or the East Coast. I loved NYC when I visited, but it's so expensive to live there (and yeah, I know it depends on where you live). I'm also hesitant about California because I've heard it's really expensive to live there, too. I guess we'll see, I have about a year before I really have to start thinking about/applying for real librarian jobs.

That sounds like so much fun! I haven't been to the movies in awhile, it's so expensive! I'm glad to hear you had fun, though.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:25 AM
Dedicated Fan

Hahaha...I sadly never think of New York! It's automatically not on my list because I'm too loyal to Chicago. I guess there is a bus system in Raleigh (well Chapel Hill) around where my friend lives and she uses it sometimes so it can't be that terrible. It's also a lovely place to visit. And Florida is horrible year round. There is like one week where it's cool otherwise the temperature is pretty much the same year round.

As for the movies, yeah they are totally expensive! It was really bad when I lived in the UK. Here isn't too terrible. I paid 75hkd as a student and going to an off place. That's like 10USD. So not that bad. I don't spend a lot of money, so it's the one thing I treat myself to!

Old 03-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Great discussion guys
Old 03-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiek (View Post)
Hahaha...I sadly never think of New York! It's automatically not on my list because I'm too loyal to Chicago. I guess there is a bus system in Raleigh (well Chapel Hill) around where my friend lives and she uses it sometimes so it can't be that terrible. It's also a lovely place to visit. And Florida is horrible year round. There is like one week where it's cool otherwise the temperature is pretty much the same year round.

As for the movies, yeah they are totally expensive! It was really bad when I lived in the UK. Here isn't too terrible. I paid 75hkd as a student and going to an off place. That's like 10USD. So not that bad. I don't spend a lot of money, so it's the one thing I treat myself to!
My home in Richmond, VA is a lovely city. Here's a couple of videos and Instagram accounts and searches that showcase it's beauty:

https://www.instagram.com/creativedogmedia/

https://www.instagram.com/alexwheeler_rva/

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/richmondgrid/

We have public transportation (buses), but I have a car. We are a bike-friendly city. You'd like it here.

I love this video!

And this one!

That last video I posted says that Richmond, VA, is for explorers, story seekers, and treasure hunters. I would agree with that.

If you happen to watch that video, tell me which neighborhood seems the most interesting to you!

Here's a video that showcases the bike race we had here last year:

Old 03-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Unfortunately, I cannot see those videos. But the Instagram pictures look stunning! I think I would like it there. I went on a mission trip to Wilmington, NC, and I believe we drove at least partly through Virginia.

When I have to eventually find a place to move, possibly in another state, I guess my big thing is they need to have public transportation. Being somewhere where they don't get a ton of snow several months out of the year would be an added bonus.

But I think I'm adding Virginia to my Possible Places to Move After Library School.