Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2015, 03:21 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
I really wish they'd let Bay leave Kathryn and John's. It's so tiring to see her there. Let her get an apartment or something!
Yeah, that would be a fun thing to explore! I'd love to see her paint murals on the walls or whatnot, or have one room be her art studio. It would be great to see her express herself that way.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaholic (View Post)
Yeah, that would be a fun thing to explore! I'd love to see her paint murals on the walls or whatnot, or have one room be her art studio. It would be great to see her express herself that way.
Exactly! Yes!

The Mexico episode makes me wish that the parents would take a back seat in the next season. I don't mind seeing them occasionally, but I want the focus on the young people now.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:43 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
Exactly! Yes!

The Mexico episode makes me wish that the parents would take a back seat in the next season. I don't mind seeing them occasionally, but I want the focus on the young people now.
I agree.

I think of all the parents, I'm most interested in seeing Melody and Gabe because of the interesting themes of raising deaf and hearing kids, what it's like for a mixed deaf/hearing parent couple, etc. I think there is a lot of interesting material there, but I don't know if the show is really planning to get into that.

John and Kathryn are okay - I like both of the actors, and I think the characters are realistic, but I feel like we've seen all their possible interactions play out already... Anyway, it's natural for them to take a back seat in terms of their kids' lives as the kids are all out of high school now.

I'm the least interested in seeing Regina explore her relationship with Eric and Will - I just don't feel like I know enough about them to be invested, and I don't really want the show to spend the time for me to get to know them. I would rather focus on the original main characters.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Elite Fan

I tried to come up with a good new question.

Hope this works for everyone!

Do you think Daphne and Bay's personalities are more due to nature or nurture? Or a combination?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
Do you think Daphne and Bay's personalities are more due to nature or nurture? Or a combination?
I'm not sure about Daphne, but I'd say more of Bay's personality is nurture. The way she approaches life and how she sees the world is very Kathryn. She also is as giving as Kathryn (not a trait I see in Regina). I think talents wise, she obviously got art from Regina but she also uses it in a very different way than Regina did. To Bay, it's frequently about self expression. Kathryn has also been interested in encouraging self expression (ie Toby and his music and all the things she does personally - dance, writing). So I would definitely say that Bay's personality is more nurture.

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!
Old 10-07-2015, 02:14 PM
New Fan

Quote:
I agree with KassieK about Bay. She does have some other stuff that is "nature": she sometimes has flashes of temper like Regina, especially when she's indignant about something, and she can come up with a sarcastic quip like Regina. Regina has a sharper tongue, though, whereas Bay uses her dry wit more for humor and less to lash out at people.

Although a lot of Bay's desire to give and help people can be attributed to Kathryn's influence, maybe there is a little of Angelo in there. I think he was impulsively generous sometimes, like when he won the lawsuit and bought everyone extravagant gifts that maybe weren't all that well thought out. Bay can be like that.

I think Daphne is also most like Regina (so "nurture") in terms of how she relates to people. Even the way she approaches romance is similar: she falls for guys quickly, jumps into relationships without thinking, and then they tend to end quickly as well. Contrast that with Kathryn and Bay, who seem to love deeply and for a long time.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:14 PM
New Fan

sorry, it double-posted for some reason

Last edited by teaholic; 10-07-2015 at 02:15 PM Reason: double post
Old 10-18-2015, 11:55 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think of all the parents, I'm most interested in seeing Melody and Gabe because of the interesting themes of raising deaf and hearing kids, what it's like for a mixed deaf/hearing parent couple, etc. I think there is a lot of interesting material there, but I don't know if the show is really planning to get into that.
Me, too.

Emmett and the Bledsoe family are such an integral part of the show, and I cannot imagine what went on behind the scenes to cause the writers to so completely move away from showcasing that family, after Season 1B. Especially with Regina losing her ability to sign, the Bledsoes became even MORE important. They were literally the ONLY Deaf family on the show for us to watch and that Deaf point of view is so vital to the message of Switched at Birth, that it was a misstep not to continue including it.

Season 2B, which I have dubbed The Summer of Ty, and Season 3A, which I not-so-affectionately call The Fall of Tank, should never have happened in the way that they did. It's not that Bay had to return to Emmett right away, but the writers needed to return to the Bledsoe family and show us more of what was happening with Emmett.

The show needed to put more of a focus on its Deaf family. I wanted to see more of Cameron's struggle with his decision to get a Cochlear implant, and with his relationship with his son Emmett. I wanted to see more of Melody's relationship with a hearing person, Gabe, and how that opened her to accepting Bay, even though Emmett had lost that relationship, at the time.

I found this video of Nyle DiMarco, who plays Garrett, yesterday, and it really makes me want to see Emmett's multi-generational Deaf family in the same light. Let's meet Cameron's mother Joy, who according to Debbie is not so joyful. Let's meet Cameron & Debbie's new son. Let's meet Melody & Gabe's new twins.

If Regina was still able to sign, then she and Daphne could be the Deaf family on the show. But Regina cannot sign any longer, and the show seems to be glossing over her struggle with that. The writers need to let viewers see the Bledsoe family. A Deaf family is important to the heart of this show.

This video, and the beauty of Nyle's family, made tears run down my cheeks. I really want to see a family like this on Switched at Birth. I'd prefer it be Emmett's family, as I love him as a character, but I would even settle for the writers introducing the rest of Garrett's family. I just want to see a Deaf family. (Nyle's family home is furnished so similarly to the Bledsoe family home. I really want to see more of the Bledsoes so badly. Why are the writers keeping Emmett at such a distance from viewers?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiek (View Post)
I'm not sure about Daphne, but I'd say more of Bay's personality is nurture. The way she approaches life and how she sees the world is very Kathryn. She also is as giving as Kathryn (not a trait I see in Regina). I think talents wise, she obviously got art from Regina but she also uses it in a very different way than Regina did. To Bay, it's frequently about self expression. Kathryn has also been interested in encouraging self expression (ie Toby and his music and all the things she does personally - dance, writing). So I would definitely say that Bay's personality is more nurture.
I agree Bay has a lot of Kathryn in her.

In some ways, I see Bay as a perfect mixture of Kathryn and Angelo (who are actually a lot alike in personality).

But then, of course, Bay does have a lot of Regina in her, too. She has Regina's artistic talent and her sarcasm. Bay seems to also have Regina's difficulties with alcohol.

But most of all, Bay has Regina's harshness and anger, directed towards loved ones, like Angelo and Emmett (and this week, perhaps, Bay may direct it towards Regina herself).

I think back to those flashback scenes of Regina at the hospital with Angelo. That's Bay, with Emmett, to me. Bay can be just as harsh and unforgiving as Regina, at times.

I also think back to those scenes of Bay in Mexico and to all of Bay's jealousy and rage. That wasn't Kathryn. That was Regina that Bay was channeling.

I do not see much of John, when I look at Bay. She isn't athletic. She isn't conservative. She isn't politically incorrect with her viewpoints. Maybe there was a little bit of John coming through Bay, when she tried to manage her potential to develop aneurysms on her own. That would have been a John-thing to do.

Quote:
I agree with KassieK about Bay. She does have some other stuff that is "nature": she sometimes has flashes of temper like Regina, especially when she's indignant about something, and she can come up with a sarcastic quip like Regina. Regina has a sharper tongue, though, whereas Bay uses her dry wit more for humor and less to lash out at people.

Although a lot of Bay's desire to give and help people can be attributed to Kathryn's influence, maybe there is a little of Angelo in there. I think he was impulsively generous sometimes, like when he won the lawsuit and bought everyone extravagant gifts that maybe weren't all that well thought out. Bay can be like that.

I think Daphne is also most like Regina (so "nurture") in terms of how she relates to people. Even the way she approaches romance is similar: she falls for guys quickly, jumps into relationships without thinking, and then they tend to end quickly as well. Contrast that with Kathryn and Bay, who seem to love deeply and for a long time.
I agree about Bay. I said pretty much the same things up above.

As for Daphne, I see some Kathryn in her, too, and quite a bit of John.

She loves to cook and be domestic, as does Kathryn. She is often headstrong and wearing blinders, as is John. Daphne is into sports and dance, as both of her bio-parents.

As for the love thing, I see Bay as more like Regina. Both of them loved deeply and for a long time (Regina with Angelo and Bay with Emmett), despite a breakup and separation. For both Regina and Bay, the love doesn't die.

Whereas Kathryn had a lot of meaningless sexual relationships, before she found John in her early twenties and settled down. I see Daphne doing the same thing. Remember Kathryn has divulged information about several sexual liaisons she had in her past, before John. All of them were NOT well-thought out, at least, according to Kathryn.

Remember, Kathryn had that sexual escapade with the man who took her up in an airplane. She had another not-thought-through sexual encounter in a restroom on a train. (That one shocked even Regina.) Then, Kathryn told us about the boyfriend in college who kept convincing her to do it without any kind of birth control.

The Kathryn we see now, with John, is NOT the Kathryn she was in her salad days. I think Daphne and Kathryn have a lot in common. And Daphne and John, unfortunately, do, too.

Who does everyone think Toby takes after the most?
Old 10-27-2015, 05:15 AM
Dedicated Fan

I don't know about Toby...I feel like we still don't know him that well even after all these seasons.

I think maybe he's a bit like John in how he gets secretive and how he's impulsive. But then I think he's really optimistic and hopeful like Kathryn.

I think we may need a new question now!

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!
Old 10-31-2015, 08:41 AM
Elite Fan

Hmm.

New question:

QUESTION 4: Out of all the SAB young adults, who do you believe would make the best parent and why. Yes, Toby technically is a parent now, but we haven't seen what he'll be like as a dad.

Old questions:

QUESTION 3: Do you think Daphne and Bay's personalities are more due to nature or nurture? Or a combination?

QUESTION 2: Some fans are really enjoying the Bay/Daphne sisterhood while others find it very unrealistic. How do you think the writers could fix it so that more fans could root for Bay & Daphne as sisters?

QUESTION 1: What if Bay didn't not go to LA because of Daphne but due to finding out that either Kathryn or Regina were sick (cancer or something else) or even John having a more severe heart attack?

Last edited by ollibear; 11-02-2015 at 06:49 PM Reason: list all questions
Old 11-03-2015, 06:08 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Hmm.

New question:

QUESTION 4: Out of all the SAB young adults, who do you believe would make the best parent and why. Yes, Toby technically is a parent now, but we haven't seen what he'll be like as a dad.f
I feel like Toby would be my first choice. He's older, made a decision about having a baby and prepared for the consequences. I think he will be a good listener and would never push his kid into doing something that he wouldn't want. He may be very focused on the baby and it's needs because, as he said, he was flying under the radar after everybody found out about the switch. He never openly complained about it, but I feel it was an issue for him.

The next person would be Daphne. Because of her deafness she would be extra careful, after growing up in a broken family, Regina's drinking problems, etc. she maybe she would try to overcompensate and create a really safe environment, with Vasquez's attitude "you can do everything no matter what" and Kennish's love and support.

Quote:
QUESTION 3: Do you think Daphne and Bay's personalities are more due to nature or nurture? Or a combination?
I think it's a mixture of both with majority of nature. In my opinion personality is always there, how we channel or limit it is a nurture thing.

Quote:
QUESTION 2: Some fans are really enjoying the Bay/Daphne sisterhood while others find it very unrealistic. How do you think the writers could fix it so that more fans could root for Bay & Daphne as sisters?
I think we can all blame "Frozen" for the whole "sister love" thing I don't think it's necessary for them to be that close, would that realisation add anything to the plot?

Quote:
HmmQUESTION 1: What if Bay didn't not go to LA because of Daphne but due to finding out that either Kathryn or Regina were sick (cancer or something else) or even John having a more severe heart attack?
Maybe then Emmett would be that angry It would be something that wasn't Bay's choice, and as so, both of them would feel trapped/betrayed/disappointed/frustrated. There would be more understanding and patience. Or it's just my wishful thinking
Old 12-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree with you guys
Old 02-21-2016, 11:03 PM
Master Fan

We need a new question!

Alyssa, do you maybe have one? I'll try to think of something good to pose, too. At the moment, I am drawing a blank.

I miss you, Alyssa.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Favorrite season so far?
Old 02-24-2016, 05:39 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
We need a new question!

Alyssa, do you maybe have one? I'll try to think of something good to pose, too. At the moment, I am drawing a blank.

I miss you, Alyssa.

I needed to find inspiration and I found a quote:

"Remember that the most valuable antiques are dear old friends."

So, my question is, why does SAB let friendships fall to the wayside? Emmett and Daphne still are friends, I suppose, but neither of them really seems to try. Emmett did reach out to Daphne after his Bay breakup, but before that, nothing really. I know we all wanted Emmett to ditch Daphne after she let Bay take the fall, but I am curious. It's not just Emmett and Daphne.

Toby and Wilke. Obviously with Austin being off the show it's not as easy, but why not make reference to Toby visiting Wilke one weekend? He's graduated from high school, probably at some college. Or not. The last time we heard Toby mention Wilke's name was during his bachelor party.

Emmett and Travis have a fractured friendship now.

I don't even know when the last time is that Regina and Melody had a friendly talk. I know Regina blasted Melody for Bay's name being outed in the article, but back in 1A, she did Melody's hair, etc. I know with Regina's injury she can't do hair, but she can still hang out with Melody, if she wanted to.

John doesn't seem to have any friends. Neither does Kathryn anymore.

Bay's friendships are a joke. Simone, Zarra. Mary Beth also sucks. Tess. And then the two guys who could have/should have been just her friends were Tank and Travis and they went the romantic way with Tank and clearly they're going that way with Travis.

Romance is great. Family is great. But so is friendship. It's important. My oldest friend I have known since I was four and she was five. We're both married. She's a stepmother, but we still make time to talk and get together occasionally. And my best friend I have known since we were in elementary school, but we didn't become close until junior high. Again, she's engaged, works hard, but we make time to talk.

I don't know. SAB land seems very lonely for these characters, no?

So, that's my discussion question:

Why is SAB so stingy with friendships?