Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

Sign Language in SAB as a Key to a Person's Character

Remember when in episode with college interviews Melody told Emmett and Travis "not to mumble"? It made me think of sign language having individual tones and "flavours". Just like hearing people have their own distinctive way of talking, it translates the same into sign language. How much of the "personal" sing language tone do you think leaks onto the character's way of communication? How much personality can be read in a way a person signs?

Last edited by ollibear; 12-08-2016 at 12:56 AM
Old 11-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

I wish we had more on the show
Old 11-16-2015, 03:59 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TwilighterTee~ (View Post)
I wish we had more on the show
Oh, me, too. Absolutely, me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee&tv (View Post)
Remember when in episode with college interviews Melody told Emmett and Travis "not to mumble"? It made me think of sign language having individual tones and "flavours". Just like hearing people have their own distinctive way of talking, it translates the same into sign language. How much of the "personal" sing language tone do you think leaks onto the character's way of communication? How much personality can be read in a way a person signs?
So true!

I will give it some thought and see if I can contribute something meaningful on this topic. I love that you addressed it.

I love thinking about Emmett mumbling with his hands, too. He is still the most adorable character on the show, for me.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Part-Time Fan

Emmett's signing is so... cool. He just flicks his fingers and forms the word

Daphne's style is happy, so energetic. Melody is super fast, just think of your fastest talking friend!

It's amazing how much emotion you can read from their facial expressions- especially when they argue or they talk about something they feel very passionate about. When Emmett argued with his mum about selling his motorbike, when Daphne confronts him about Bay (the way she describes her "long hair, alabaster skin")- they're faces are amazing! Natalie is another one with great expressions.

I'd love to read your thoughts ollibear!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Dedicated Fan

This topic reminds me of my very first ASL class (and to be fair, some parts of it were more BASL which made later teachers angry). The teacher was a CODA and he would talk a lot about his mother. She had a very large signing area and people often thought she was "yelling" when she wasn't. I always wondered how big her signing area actually was because BASL signing areas are bigger than ASL signing areas. I always pictured her arms flying all over the place! He would always say it was because she had a big personality that she signed in a larger space.

My point being, how people sign on the show definitely does have to do with their personality and habits! It does give us insights into their characters (if they are changing the way they sign...I haven't watched interviews with them so I'm not sure).

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!
Old 02-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiek (View Post)
This topic reminds me of my very first ASL class (and to be fair, some parts of it were more BASL which made later teachers angry). The teacher was a CODA and he would talk a lot about his mother. She had a very large signing area and people often thought she was "yelling" when she wasn't. I always wondered how big her signing area actually was because BASL signing areas are bigger than ASL signing areas. I always pictured her arms flying all over the place! He would always say it was because she had a big personality that she signed in a larger space.

My point being, how people sign on the show definitely does have to do with their personality and habits! It does give us insights into their characters (if they are changing the way they sign...I haven't watched interviews with them so I'm not sure).
I agree, and I think it's so cool. I wish my eyes were better able to discern the differences and keep up with everything. I pick up on some things, but not as many things as others do.

What have you noticed, Kassie, about signing habits and character personalities?
Old 02-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Dedicated Fan

Off the top of my head, not really. I do know that all the characters do sign very distinctly. I remember at one time noticing that one character signed very sharply, while another was very lazy with their signs. Now I can't remember who did it though. I want to say Natalie was one of the people but I honestly can't remember. I'll try to watch closer when the new season comes out and I'll report back!

Old 02-24-2016, 04:05 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiek (View Post)
Off the top of my head, not really. I do know that all the characters do sign very distinctly. I remember at one time noticing that one character signed very sharply, while another was very lazy with their signs. Now I can't remember who did it though. I want to say Natalie was one of the people but I honestly can't remember. I'll try to watch closer when the new season comes out and I'll report back!
Sounds good. On the AfterBuzz TV Review, they noticed that Sean Berdy's signing could be lazy at times. There's a scene with Melody talking to Emmett and Travis, before their college interviews, and she tells them both to make their signs clear to the interviewer.

Natalie's signing does seem sharp to me.

In a hometown newspaper review of the actor who plays Matthew (Daniel Durant) on the TV series, I remember reading that for years his signing has been recognized for its beauty and magical charisma.

I don't remember where, but somewhere I saw that Sean Berdy has a unique, individual way of saying the pronoun "I" with two hands. Usually, it is only signed with one hand, and for instance when Emmett is telling Bay about this mistake with Simone at prom, he points to himself with both hands. He does it again when he apologizes to her several months later, at Blue River Road. Now that I think about that, I believe it was mentioned on a YouTube analysis of the ASL in the show, by a professor at Gallaudet. I remember that thinking that professor was saying there wasn't anything wrong with what Sean Berdy was doing, but that it was simply his style. I do believe that there was a discussion about it in an ASL group on Facebook, and people who know Sean Berdy said that he does that in real life, too. It's been a couple of years, so the details are fuzzy. That's what I think I read though.

It's all fascinating to me.

I've always thought that Sean Berdy's signing is beautiful. For me, it's his hands and facial expressions. Really, it's his entire being, because he is so expressive with his body and soul. Even Sean's eyes seem to be talking, his posture, everything. When Emmett apologizes to Bay or anytime he has a meaningful scene with her, he doesn't really need words to communicate, not even signed ones. I haven't noticed that kind of communication from Matthew or Travis, or even Melody. Maybe their roles have not called for anything that earnest yet? There's something special about the way Emmett is with Bay.

When Matthew was in love with Emmett, I sensed his sincerity in his signing, whenever he had a private scene with Emmett. I liked seeing that.

When Travis was telling Bay he loves her, I thought his signing was lovely, too.

It's definitely a beautiful language.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Elite Fan

I just hope before I stop reporting that I get the chance to work with an ASL interpreter. Although I doubt I'd get anything down. I'd just be so mesmerized by the flow of their hands.

I saw on the news the other day that a Starbucks barista who has a Deaf customer come three days out of the week (usually orders using his phone) wrote him a note stating that she began taking ASL so he can have an experience at Starbucks like everyone else does. I thought that was sweet.

It's also a really cool language.

Katie originally learned ASL by taking it in high school as a foreign language. My high school never offered ASL, which stinks. We had Spanish, French, Latin, Italian. I think. I know definitely Spanish and Latin. I wonder if the lack of ASL in high school curriculum has to do with how many people there are who can teach. Not to knock the romance languages, but I don't see why it shouldn't be offered as a foreign language option.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:22 AM
Dedicated Fan

ASL wasn't offered at my HS as well. It was in the back of one of our books though (at least the alphabet...I think it was the student MLA handbook). ASL wasn't offered in my state until the university level (where I then took it).

Old 02-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Elite Fan

I don't know if it was offered at my college. I never looked into it. I wish I had.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
I don't know if it was offered at my college. I never looked into it. I wish I had.
My college did
Old 02-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Master Fan

In central Virginia, the only public high school that seems to offer ASL is our Governor's School, and only a handful of students attend that school.

Public education is missing the boat in so many ways right now. It is not meeting the needs of students, because it is not keeping up with the times.

On another note, I was on Tumblr recently, and I saw several images of Emmett pointing to himself with both hands. The way that he does it is so sincere. I love that.

We should try to find something special that each of the characters do. Has anyone noticed something special about the way Travis signs? I'm trying to consciously look for things that make me appreciate his character more.

I feel like Travis will be a huge part of Season 5. I think it's going to be his season. It seems like his point of view will be important, and if so, I want to be able to enjoy it.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:49 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
In central Virginia, the only public high school that seems to offer ASL is our Governor's School, and only a handful of students attend that school.

Public education is missing the boat in so many ways right now. It is not meeting the needs of students, because it is not keeping up with the times.

On another note, I was on Tumblr recently, and I saw several images of Emmett pointing to himself with both hands. The way that he does it is so sincere. I love that.

We should try to find something special that each of the characters do. Has anyone noticed something special about the way Travis signs? I'm trying to consciously look for things that make me appreciate his character more.

I feel like Travis will be a huge part of Season 5. I think it's going to be his season. It seems like his point of view will be important, and if so, I want to be able to enjoy it.
bump
Old 06-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

I howl they just write it better that all we can do at this point