Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-02-2015, 04:56 AM
Part-Time Fan

SAB storylines that went nowhere

As it was said in another topic, there seems to be a large number of plots and characters, that writers were testing and after receiving negative response, they were dropped without explanation. I thought it would be fun to relive those "misshaps"

- What happened to Teo? Did he magically transform into Noah?
- Does Regina still owns the design studio?
- Why, when talking about big money, nearly everytime things cost 50.000$? (money for Coto, Regina's "bribe" for Hope, etc)
Old 11-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee&tv (View Post)
As it was said in another topic, there seems to be a large number of plots and characters, that writers were testing and after receiving negative response, they were dropped without explanation. I thought it would be fun to relive those "misshaps"

- What happened to Teo? Did he magically transform into Noah?
- Does Regina still owns the design studio?
- Why, when talking about big money, nearly everytime things cost 50.000$? (money for Coto, Regina's "bribe" for Hope, etc)
Cool idea for a thread!
  • I'm thinking that Regina sold the design studio to invest in The Cracked Mug, but I am not 100% sure. I'll have to go back through the episodes and check.
  • I always wanted to meet Jackson, Emmett's friend from Seasons 1 and 2.
  • I do wonder what happened to Campbell. Did he rekindle things with his old girlfriend? How did his job go at the new clinic?
  • Also, what happened to Jorge?
  • I think we learned that Chef Jeff never married his fiance. I'd love to have that confirmed. Is he still working at his new restaurant?
  • What happened to Zarra? Is she still in Mexico?
  • How is Tess doing? How is her son?
  • Whatever happened to Ty? Do Regina and Daphne keep in touch with him? Do they still care about him?
  • Did Maui Kansas open again last summer? I wonder if it will be open this summer, too. Does Mary Beth still work there in the summer? Or did she get a new summer job?
  • What happened to Jace after her returned to England? Is he still involved in American politics?
  • Did Wilke graduate boarding school? Is he in college? Just a mention would be nice!
  • How about Simone? Is she still a camp counselor?
  • What is Liam up to these days? And Patrick? Did he hear about Bay's art show at the Waite Gallery?
  • Is Renzo okay? Are Abby & Leo okay?
  • Did Cameron and Debbie have their son? Does Olivia ever harass Cameron?

So many questions!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Master Fan

Cracked Mug investment is from the life insurance policy of Angelo.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah smart move Regina (Note my sarcasm)
Old 11-02-2015, 11:34 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Like A Lion (View Post)
Cracked Mug investment is from the life insurance policy of Angelo.
Yeah, the initial investment was from the life insurance policy, but in Episode 4x10, Regina tells Eric:
I can put my old design studio, K&D, up for sale. I've wanted to do that for a while now. And I still have some leftover from my husband's life insurance.
Later in Season 4, I believe that she confirmed she did sell K&D. If I find the place where Regina mentions it again, I'll share.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:59 PM
Dedicated Fan

Didn't Bay hang up on a call from Ty only a few episodes ago? I feel like that happened (or maybe I dreamt it...lol).

What happened to Matthew's gay storyline?
And yes, where is Zarra and Tess (or anyone that was friends with Bay alone)?!
And Toby never talked to Wilke again? I'm surprised he didn't come up again...plus, Wilke vs Wilke 2.0 (aka Mingo) would be funny.

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!
Old 11-03-2015, 04:02 AM
Part-Time Fan

Completely missed the whole thing with Regina's studio! And didn't remember Simone being a camp counsellor.

I guess Liam is now too busy being a supernatural creature

Wilke was mentioned during the stag do episode and he's the reason why Bay was good at pool, but that was it (thanks "Carrie Diaries" for taking him away)

- Why Matthew didn't wear a gown during graduation?
- What happened with Bay's "Everyday heroes" project?
- Both Melody and Regina forgot about the fall out after R found out she can't sign anymore?
Old 11-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Elite Fan

Is Smak still looking for Zarra?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:18 AM
Dedicated Fan

So since we've listed some, maybe we should do something fun like come up with explanations (fun or realistic) of what happened to some of these storylines/characters. What do you guys think?

Maybe we start with the thing we are going to explain in bold and then underneath it present our explanation. Example:

Wilke and Simone no longer being talked about/appearing.
They actually got back together (since they did date) and were so afraid of Kennish backlash that after growing apart with the SaB families that they have decided to keep their relationship secret and not reconnect with their old friends. They come back to KC periodically to visit family (avoiding the SaB people), but have now moved in together and are attending the same college in Upstate New York.

Just a suggestion, we don't have to do this but I thought it may be fun!

Old 11-04-2015, 02:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiek (View Post)
So since we've listed some, maybe we should do something fun like come up with explanations (fun or realistic) of what happened to some of these storylines/characters. What do you guys think?

Maybe we start with the thing we are going to explain in bold and then underneath it present our explanation. Example:

Wilke and Simone no longer being talked about/appearing.
They actually got back together (since they did date) and were so afraid of Kennish backlash that after growing apart with the SaB families that they have decided to keep their relationship secret and not reconnect with their old friends. They come back to KC periodically to visit family (avoiding the SaB people), but have now moved in together and are attending the same college in Upstate New York.

Just a suggestion, we don't have to do this but I thought it may be fun!
I LOVE IT! And I love that scenario. (I believe both Toby and Daphne would be jealous about that. If Toby did not have real feelings for Simone, he should have. To me, it makes Toby seem shallow that he cut Simone off after she cheated.)

I don't think the writers realize how attached fans get to characters and how important it is to us to know where their lives take them. It's unfair that the writers start so many stories and allow them to disappear with nary a trace. It's disrespectful to fans.

I was glad that the writers allowed Adrianna to send a baby shower gift to Toby & Lily's baby. I wish Kathryn's mother had sent a gift, too. I know she has Alzheimer's, but her visit to the Kennish home was so recent. It feels as though she would have (should have) sent something for her own great grandson.

Or how about John's father? How does he feel about a child with Down Syndrome. He was making strides with bridging the gap between himself and John, but he's such an opinionated character. It would have been nice for the writers to allow us to see how this story affects ALL of the family.

Maybe they will at least bring John's father back into the story, as we see Toby's son grow into a toddler and beyond.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

At least when a character was sent somewhere else we can always assume that they just live somewhere else- Zarra in Mexico, Wilke in boarding school (now probably some Ivy League university or taking an extreme gap year travelling), Kathryn's mom in France. But I get annoyed when quite prominent character just disappears. It was like that with Liam, Teo, Noah, that gallery owner who dated Regina. I know that mostly it's because the actor got a better role somewhere else but still! That's why mentioning missing characters adds to the reality of the show.

I would like to think that Ty moved on. He's focused on his task, he'll finish his deployment in Germany, go back to US and go to college? Bay will be just a memory of a special summer. He'll marry his college sweetheart, be a hardworking family provider. He'd keep tabs on Bay's career but everytime he'd try to write a congratulatory e-mail he'd delete it.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:47 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I would like to think that Ty moved on. He's focused on his task, he'll finish his deployment in Germany, go back to US and go to college? Bay will be just a memory of a special summer. He'll marry his college sweetheart, be a hardworking family provider. He'd keep tabs on Bay's career but everytime he'd try to write a congratulatory e-mail he'd delete it.
Love it!

I actually like to think Zarra is in a Mexican jail right now or involved with a cartel. I don't know why, but I totally think she's there wishing Bay would bail her out again! Seriously, how does Bay always get involved with people she pretty much has to support?!

Old 11-05-2015, 03:56 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
At least when a character was sent somewhere else we can always assume that they just live somewhere else- Zarra in Mexico, Wilke in boarding school (now probably some Ivy League university or taking an extreme gap year travelling), Kathryn's mom in France. But I get annoyed when quite prominent character just disappears. It was like that with Liam, Teo, Noah, that gallery owner who dated Regina. I know that mostly it's because the actor got a better role somewhere else but still! That's why mentioning missing characters adds to the reality of the show.
I agree wholeheartedly!

Daphne did tell us that Noah's family returned to Canada, so I can somewhat understand his choice to lose touch with the girls. At the time Daphne mentioned it, she indicated that Noah was still texting her occasionally. I wonder if he eventually stopped, or if they stayed friends.

Quote:
I don't see Ty ever going to college. I see him making a career out of the military, and if not, his specialty was auto-mechanics. He doesn't need a college degree to do well in that field. After his training in the military, he probably would not even need a trade school. I'm guessing any garage or dealership would be pleased to have an ex-soldier working for them. If he was able to build a personal relationship with the owner, I could see him moving up and managing the place or maybe opening one of his own.

Ty didn't strike me as someone who would want to spend an inordinate amount of time sitting at a desk in a classroom discussing ideas. He seems like more of a hands-on learner.

I'm not sure who Ty will marry. We did not get enough of a feel for his character to know whether he would want to marry someone who needs him (perhaps to be a rescuer) or someone strong in her own right.

Vanessa Marano once said she believes Ty is who Bay would have ended up with, if the switch had never happened. I disagree. Ty is four years older than the girls. He was a big brother type for Daphne. When she was 10, he was 14. Vanessa is forgetting that Bay would have been Deaf. Ty was always going to join the military at 19, no matter what. I don't see a 19 year old, who had grown up being a big brother to a girl who is Deaf, allowing himself to become romantically involved with her.

When would it have happened? When Bay was 12 and he was 16? Or when Bay was 14 and he was 18? Ty didn't even bother learning much sign language for Daphne. I just don't see it happening between them, other than the scenario in which it did. With an age difference like four years, Ty needed to not feel like Bay's big brother, to be comfortable with a romance. And Bay needed to be hearing. I do not believe Ty would ever become proficient in sign language.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:29 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
Vanessa is forgetting that Bay would have been Deaf.
Not fact. I actually took issue with this when the show presented it as well. Daphne went deaf because of meningitis. Not every person that contracts the disease responds the same way. It is very likely that Bay would not be deaf. She instead may have been epileptic, an amputee, or even dead. There is no, absolutely no, certainty that she would be deaf. Also just for anyone that doesn't know a lot about it, meningitis can be caused by many things (which is why it's a disease) such as virus, bacteria, fungus, parasites, or even cancer. It's also possible depending on the root of the meningitis that Bay wouldn't even have come down with it at all and it could have just been a staph infection or the flu.

Sorry if that came across too strong, I don't mean it to but it's something that really bothers me.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiek (View Post)
Not fact. I actually took issue with this when the show presented it as well. Daphne went deaf because of meningitis. Not every person that contracts the disease responds the same way. It is very likely that Bay would not be deaf. She instead may have been epileptic, an amputee, or even dead. There is no, absolutely no, certainty that she would be deaf. Also just for anyone that doesn't know a lot about it, meningitis can be caused by many things (which is why it's a disease) such as virus, bacteria, fungus, parasites, or even cancer. It's also possible depending on the root of the meningitis that Bay wouldn't even have come down with it at all and it could have just been a staph infection or the flu.

Sorry if that came across too strong, I don't mean it to but it's something that really bothers me.
When I posted those words this morning, and when I read Vanessa's interview, I was already aware of all those things you are saying, and of course they are all true.

I'm basing my thoughts on the idea that, so far, we've seen two different alternate universes where the switch never occurred, and in both of them, Bay was Deaf (with a capital D). Bay was a part of Deaf culture. That tells me that the writers believe Bay would have been Deaf.
EDITED TO ADD: I'm glad the writers chose for Bay to be Deaf in the Christmas episode. It illustrated that ultimately Angelo did not leave his family because Daphne went deaf, but because he believed he could not trust Regina to tell him the truth.

I feel the Switched at Birth writers are missing the boat by not exploring more alternate universes. I'd love to see one where the switch never happened and Bay is still hearing, living with Regina, Angelo, and AJ. Would Bay have hooked up with Emmett in that scenario? It's not likely. It would mean something very big, if she did.

I once read that an infinite number of alternate universes exist for all of us. With such a big mistake as what happened at the hospital between Bay and Daphne, how can the show not explore a few more of them?

It's interesting that Regina stipulates it was the medicine that made Daphne go deaf and not the virus or the accompanying fever itself. People respond differently to medicine, just like people respond differently to disease.

But even if Bay had been hearing, I find it unlikely a 18 year old Ty would have dated a 14 year old Bay. It's possible, of course, but when he left for the military at 19, I bet they still would have broken up. I just don't see their connection as all that deep. I'm not saying it's impossible. I just don't think the idea of Bay and Ty having a lifelong love is probable.

Last edited by ollibear; 11-05-2015 at 10:17 AM