Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-03-2015, 05:00 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
I attempted Jane By Design, but meh. Same with Bunheads. I know everyone raved about it. I never got into it.
Thank you! I thought I was the only one that didn't like Bunheads! And I love dancing dramas (like Dance Academy) but Bunheads was so meh even though it was written by the woman who did Gilmore Girls!

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:24 AM
Addicted Fan

bunheads was so boring. none of those characters outside of sutton fosters were interesting.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:57 AM
Part-Time Fan

It looks like PLL is finally over. They dragged that show on too long. The actresses are approaching 30 and they JUST graduated from high school.
"Chasing Life", "Stitchers", and "The Fosters" are O.K. but I can see why people wouldn't be interested in them.
I don't watch any of the reality shows or most of the comedies.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:12 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S (View Post)
It looks like PLL is finally over. They dragged that show on too long. The actresses are approaching 30 and they JUST graduated from high school.
"Chasing Life", "Stitchers", and "The Fosters" are O.K. but I can see why people wouldn't be interested in them.
I don't watch any of the reality shows or most of the comedies.
Do we think Stitchers is even going to last? I think it'll be two seasons and done (I'm surprised they even renewed it). They even seemed to stop pushing it towards episode 8 or so. Twisted was so much better in premise and ratings, yet they couldn't give that a second season (67% fresh on RT vs. Stitchers' 29%). It feels like someone in a big office really wants a favor with Stitchers.

I think Chasing Life is a little cheap, honestly (not that I don't appreciate it although I hate the new turn)...but it's not even original programming technically since it's based on a telenovela. They got to rip off the entire premise.

And while I enjoy (possibly enjoyed we'll see where the next episodes go) The Fosters, I feel like the writers really road on the gimmick too long and now don't know how to actually do their job.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:56 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiek (View Post)
Thank you! I thought I was the only one that didn't like Bunheads! And I love dancing dramas (like Dance Academy) but Bunheads was so meh even though it was written by the woman who did Gilmore Girls!
Definitely not the only one. It was just very quirky? Not that I hate quirky. I know Gilmore Girls was not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it.

Bunheads on the other hand, I couldn't get a good feel for it.

I don't think stitchers will last too long IMO but I guess abc Fam could surprise us.

I think I read somewhere that CL was based off of a telenovela, but then I forgot about it. How similar are they in terms of plot?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:37 AM
Addicted Fan

PLL will def last another season and a half. Then it's probably over. It should have been over long ago Imo. I stopped watching regularly and only watch big episodes like the last A reveal. But it was such a huge letdown bc Marlene can't craft a mystery.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:44 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
I think I read somewhere that CL was based off of a telenovela, but then I forgot about it. How similar are they in terms of plot?
There are posts about it in this forum. It talks about it being extremely similar at times but diverting as the episodes continue. And sadly for us, the telenovela didn't have Dominic...so why in the world were we subjected to him?!

Old 09-04-2015, 09:45 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
There are posts about it in this forum. It talks about it being extremely similar at times but diverting as the episodes continue. And sadly for us, the telenovela didn't have Dominic...so why in the world were we subjected to him?!
Thanks for the info!

Interesting read.

*snort* Yeah, I am not the biggest Dom fan myself. He's okay I guess. I don't hate him, but I find him kind of bleh.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Master Fan

I never got into Bunheads, and I tried.

I'm not interested in Pretty Little Liars, Chasing Life, or The Fosters either. I cannot find a character to love in any of those shows. Their characters are okay, but no one reaches out and captures my heart.

That's what makes Switched at Birth so special. It's not often that a writer creates a character I passionately love, and I do feel that way about Emmett.

I care deeply about all of the characters on Switched at Birth.

I cared deeply about characters on Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Sex and the City, Lost, and thirtysomething, too.

I feel about those characters in the way that I feel about the characters on Switched at Birth.

To me, Switched at Birth is a higher caliber than the other ABC Family shows.

Nancy on thirtysomething and Emmett on Switched at Birth are the only two characters I passionately love, though. So far, no other character has even come close to what I feel for them.

I really enjoyed Nancy's full story arc. I hope Emmett's arc is done equal justice.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:48 AM
Dedicated Fan

So, Monica the Medium had the first full episode on ABC Family's YouTube (i.e. they are really pushing it). So of course, I watched it. Maybe I just don't like reality tv but it seemed exceptionally chaotic...like the show had no idea what it was going to do. Ugh...I really wish ABC Family would go back to it's stellar scripted dramas instead of trying to really push the reality and comedy...that's never what they were strongest at (in my opinion).

Old 09-13-2015, 05:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
So, Monica the Medium had the first full episode on ABC Family's YouTube (i.e. they are really pushing it). So of course, I watched it. Maybe I just don't like reality tv but it seemed exceptionally chaotic...like the show had no idea what it was going to do. Ugh...I really wish ABC Family would go back to it's stellar scripted dramas instead of trying to really push the reality and comedy...that's never what they were strongest at (in my opinion).
Since I don't watch reality shows, I don't watch Monica the Medium, or any of the other reality shows on that network. If "Melissa and Joey" and "Young and Hungry" are any indication, then their comedies are pretty weak.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:25 AM
Elite Fan

Reality TV as a genre is usually pretty chaotic now that I think about it. But sometimes, it's part of the appeal Yes, guilty of reality tv watching here. But "Monica the Medium," didn't appeal to me. Actually, none of the ABC Fam reality shows appealed to me.

Ironically, I mentioned MTM in a conversation yesterday talking about psychics and mediums. The other day, I heard John Edwards on one of the local radio stations and he was getting a lot wrong. I go back and forth with my skepticism regarding psychics. I like getting readings, mostly tarot, but I just don't know if I believe people like Monica, like John Edwards, Sylvia Brown, etc are truly mediums. Do I think they have gifts? Sure. I think there are people out there who can absolutely read energies, but I don't think I could watch a whole episode of MTM without being like "hmmm....."
Old 09-13-2015, 07:31 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I agree. ABC Family was really making a name for itself, with its quality scripted dramas. They aren't winning any awards for their comedies or reality TV.

I'd like to see them make more dramas. Just 12 hours ago, Emily Nussbaum, TV critic for The New Yorker tweeted:
emily nussbaum ‏@emilynussbaum 12h12 hours ago
Television: a handful of great dramas, 3,000 terrific comedies.
Television needs great dramas. We need great dramas.

ABC Family has an opportunity to make a name for itself, as a place where great dramas dwell.

I hope that they do not give up.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
I agree. ABC Family was really making a name for itself, with its quality scripted dramas. They aren't winning any awards for their comedies or reality TV.

I'd like to see them make more dramas. Just 12 hours ago, Emily Nussbaum, TV critic for The New Yorker tweeted:
emily nussbaum ‏@emilynussbaum 12h12 hours ago
Television: a handful of great dramas, 3,000 terrific comedies.
Television needs great dramas. We need great dramas.

ABC Family has an opportunity to make a name for itself, as a place where great dramas dwell.

I hope that they do not give up.
Anyone watching any of the shows on Freeform premiering this month?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah I watched shadowhunters