Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-11-2016, 09:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

I just think the show didnt showthat very well. I mean I was conpletely lost on how he was feeling.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Addicted Fan

Exactly. They were either way too subtle on emmetts feelings, or didn't care to show his pov. For whatever reason.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneH (View Post)
Exactly. They were either way too subtle on emmetts feelings, or didn't care to show his pov. For whatever reason.
Which was a cop out to me
Old 01-16-2016, 12:32 PM
Master Fan

Sean interpreting Enrique Iglesias in ASL :

Sean and his bro signing The Way You Make Me Feel from Michael Jackson :

And Sean dancing on stage :

Last edited by ollibear; 02-04-2017 at 01:34 PM
Old 01-16-2016, 01:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucresiare (View Post)
Sean interpreting Enrique Iglesias in ASL :

Sean and his bro signing The Way You Make Me Feel from Michael Jackson :

And Sean dancing on stage :
Thank you for the videos!

How is everyone feeling about Emmett these days?

After falling head-over-heels in love with the character, when I first saw him in August of 2012, I am repulsed by him now.

I still like Sean Berdy, but I cannot stand Emmett. I want to retch when I watch old episodes, and he comes on my screen. The insincerity of his character is awful to watch.

The writers have painted Emmett to be a stupid character (cheating on Bay, falling for Matthew's catfish, sexting "Mandy" a revealing picture, breaking up with Bay on the beach). Emmett is flaky and unreliable, a self-proclaimed jackass. And Bay was right, Emmett is weak. He is limp and ineffectual

For awhile, I thought the writers decided not to make Bay & Emmett end game. I'm back to thinking Bay & Emmett probably are end game, but I am going to hate it.

Bay would be better off living her life alone, than with Emmett. Anybody would.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
Thank you for the videos!

How is everyone feeling about Emmett these days?

After falling head-over-heels in love with the character, when I first saw him in August of 2012, I am repulsed by him now.

I still like Sean Berdy, but I cannot stand Emmett. I want to retch when I watch old episodes, and he comes on my screen. The insincerity of his character is awful to watch.

The writers have painted Emmett to be a stupid character (cheating on Bay, falling for Matthew's catfish, sexting "Mandy" a revealing picture, breaking up with Bay on the beach). Emmett is flaky and unreliable, a self-proclaimed jackass. And Bay was right, Emmett is weak. He is limp and ineffectual

For awhile, I thought the writers decided not to make Bay & Emmett end game. I'm back to thinking Bay & Emmett probably are end game, but I am going to hate it.

Bay would be better off living her life alone, than with Emmett. Anybody would.
That's very said to read. This thread is an appreciation thread right ?
I don't always agree with Emmett's actions but I always love him. He was just a teenager, he can be forgiven.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:14 PM
Part-Time Fan

I do love Emmett but there are many times when I don't like him. I know Emmett is not perfect and I know Bay has made her own share of mistakes, however he's treated the one he claims to love more than life pretty badly. She forgave him for cheating on her. She let the Simone thing go and for him to abandon her during a RAPE crisis thing, I'm sorry but that's unforgivable. That's just me though. I'll always love him though but his behavior since he went to LA, I do not agree with and I'll be glad when they redeem himself.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:57 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucresiare (View Post)
That's very said to read. This thread is an appreciation thread right ?
I don't always agree with Emmett's actions but I always love him. He was just a teenager, he can be forgiven.
It's sad to feel, too. I'm sad about it.

Appreciation can also mean trying to fully understand. I spend a lot of time discerning the meaning of Switched at Birth, and especially the character who had always been my favorite, Emmett.

In interviews, Lizzy Weiss keeps saying Emmett is "just a kid." She said those words after Emmett cheated on Bay in 2012, and she said them again in 2015, after Emmett broke up with Bay on the beach. I do feel that abandoning Bay during her rape crisis is much worse than the cheating incident with Simone, but I have no trouble forgiving Emmett for either of those things. Even if Emmett was 60 years old and not a kid, I could forgive him.

It's the other things that bother me. Emmett's character has been shown to be stupid and weak. The Emmett that we see does not know how to succeed without Melody, Bay, Daphne, or Skye pulling him out of scrapes. That wasn't my impression, when we first met Emmett, but it sure is now. Emmett keeps screwing up his life, and women keep rescuing him. Yet, Emmett is never there to help or rescue anyone in return. Emmett takes and takes. He never gives. At least when Daphne took from Bay, she stayed close to give back to her.

Plus, all of Emmett's over-the-top romantic words and gestures are empty, only for show. Helping Bay look for her bio-dad, the birthday billboard, the timelines, the visit to the Las Vegas movie set, none of that had any substance behind it. In re-watching old episodes, it seems manipulative now. At first, I could not understand Bay's decision to return the birthday blindfold to Melody. That was a gift, no need to return it. But I understand now. The blindfold is a symbol for something shallow. Why would Bay care to remember that moment?

Emmett's choice to appear at opportune times and tell Bay she "is" or "will be an artist" is unctuous. Emmett doesn't care about Bay or her future as an artist. Emmett is using something meaningful to Bay to maintain some kind of warped connection to her. It's gross. I want to love the character, but I can't. Emmett is written to be a jackass.

The writers may try to retcon the character next season. I'm not interested in seeing it, though. Viewers have been jerked around too much. I'm over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
I do love Emmett but there are many times when I don't like him. I know Emmett is not perfect and I know Bay has made her own share of mistakes, however he's treated the one he claims to love more than life pretty badly. She forgave him for cheating on her. She let the Simone thing go and for him to abandon her during a RAPE crisis thing, I'm sorry but that's unforgivable. That's just me though. I'll always love him though but his behavior since he went to LA, I do not agree with and I'll be glad when they redeem himself.
It would take years to redeem Emmett, if it can even be done.

At the end of the series, Bay & Emmett will probably ride off into the sunset together, and I will feel like I am watching Bay make the worst mistake of her life. I dread that.

It's ironic, after I spent so much time wanting it.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for posting that guys he is so cute in those videos
Old 01-17-2016, 09:58 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TwilighterTee~ (View Post)
Thanks for posting that guys he is so cute in those videos
I agree!

Sean Berdy is a doll. I wish Emmett was more like him.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I agree!

Sean Berdy is a doll. I wish Emmett was more like him.
Yeah I wish they put some of his personality int here too
Old 01-19-2016, 04:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TwilighterTee~ (View Post)
Yeah I wish they put some of his personality int here too
It seemed like Emmett had a bit of Sean Berdy's spirit in Season 1, but as soon as his character cheated that all changed. Emmett became much more reserved and less cocky.

I miss the old Emmett. His cheating with Simone was definitely a turning point for his character. I thought Emmett became more sincere, after he cheated. But now, I watch those same episodes and he seems fake. Emmett seems REALLY fake, since moving to LA.

This thread title feels ironic now. It was created way before Emmett ever left for LA. Today, so many people express a hatred for Emmett's character in social media. I have to chuckle at the irony of Bay's words in the park:
"You are Emmett Bledsoe. Everybody loves you....I love you. I never stopped."
Those words have been replaced by Bay (and by many in social media) with these words:
"He's cold. He's selfish! He's heartless! And I hate him. I hate him. I will hate him for the rest of my life. In fact, I wish that I had never even met him!"
I don't hate Emmett, but I don't have respect for him anymore. I thought Emmett was this really cool kid to be admired. Now, I think he is vacuous and callow. His character went from being my reason to tune in each week to being a waste of space that could be better occupied by a tree or something. That's sad.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:21 AM
Master Fan

Not that long ago, I'd seek out relationship advice in magazines. These days, it's available 24/7 online.

Even though I no longer feel a need to seek it out, sometimes I still click on the articles. It's partly out of habit and partly because I enjoy reading it.

Plus, as an aspiring writer, I like to look for authentic details that I can put into my writing.

I'm often blown away by how often these same details have made their way onto Switched at Birth. That's one of the main reasons I am so in love with this show. The writers attention to detail blows me away. I respect it so much.

For instance, on Valentine's Day, I clicked on this typical advice column:

"10 Signs He's Into You"

Flirting: 10 Signs He's Into You

Every single one of these signs were observed by me, when Emmett first started crushing on Bay, in Season 1A. I love that!

Emmett gave Bay the best smiles. I particularly enjoyed the one at the junk yard, when Bay told Emmett he was the best listener. I saw Emmett blushing around Bay. Emmett was an absolute PRO at making eye contact with her. I love how long he would hold her gaze.

And do you remember the scene at The Senator (restaurant), when Emmett mirrored Bay's sip of her drink? That moment was DEEP into my addiction of Bay & Emmett. My heart was practically leaping out of my chest I was so in love with them. I felt tingly all over watching that scene. Gosh, I miss those days and moments like that. I would have given almost anything for them to continue. I've never had a TV series bring me as much joy as Switched at Birth did in Season 1A.

There are several scenes where Emmett puts his hands on his hips and stands there like James Dean. So cute!

And do you remember the scene at Emmett's house, when they are sitting at his kitchen table and Bay is showing him her book of sketches? Emmett's hand lightly brushes over Bay's, as he flirtingly touches her. Seriously, I cannot tell you how much joy those moments brought to me in Season 1A. There are not words adequate enough to describe it. Just thinking about it now has tears running down my cheeks, and how many years has it been?

I think that's why I am so bitter these days. So much potential was wasted. So much time went to other storylines that meant nothing to me, while this story sat unexplored.

Anyway, Emmett was a pro at delivering all of the other signals in this article, too. He mastered the head tilt (again, that junk yard scene was perfection). Emmett's pupils are often dilated when he is near Bay, especially in the scene where they make love for the first time. Emmett often raises his eyebrows around Bay, and it's adorable. And I've seen Emmett fidget around Bay, too.

Emmett mastered them all. It's one of the many reasons I fell completely head-over-heels with this couple, back in the day.

Here's the list:

1. He's smiling.

Happiness is one of the easiest emotions to pick up on. When a person is truly happy they will often smile, even unconsciously. If he’s smiling at you, there’s a good chance he wants to talk to you and get to know you better. He might be shy about approaching you, so display your killer confidence and go up to him instead. Playing hard to get can be a little fun, but it can be a big turn off for guys.

2. He's blushing.

Perhaps you know how it’s difficult to flirt with shy guys, but it doesn’t mean that you should avoid such type of man. If you notice that a guy blushes around you, this is one of the most obvious signs he is flirting with you. However, not only do shy guys blush, any guy can actually blush when he sees a beautiful girl. Blushing is a bodily function that we can’t control and if he blushes around you, he certainly likes you.

3. He makes eye contact.

This one can be a little tricky, but worth paying attention to. Eye contact is an important part of communicating and a very expressive way of conveying emotions. Depending on the length of time he holds eye contact, you can determine whether he likes you or not. If it’s longer than the average person would hold it, it could mean he’s into you. Remember, some why guys might be hesitant to maintain eye contact for long.

4. He's mirroring you.

Sometimes men will mirror a woman’s actions without knowing it. Mirroring is another sure sign that he is flirting with you. This can range from manner and rate of speaking, all the way to counting and matching your blinks. Is he laughing when you laugh? Does he cross his arms if you do? Does he lean back in his chair when you do? These are all mirror actions, and are a good indication that he’s feeling some sparks

5. His hands are on his hips.

Is he standing with his hands on his hips or tucked slightly into his pockets, or are his thumbs in his belt loop? If so, that’s a good sign that he’s digging you. This displays confidence … a way of showing you he’s macho enough for you.

6. He flirtingly touches you.

When your crush touches you it’s a sure sign he’s into you. Another sign to watch for is an accidental touch. This means he’s trying to get your attention or continue a conversation. This is the time to start flirting back. Who knows, he may the one.

7. He tilts his head.

The tilt of a man’s head can indicate if he likes you or not. Head tilted toward you means he’s hanging on every word you say. It also indicates that he’s into the conversation, and attuned to what you’re saying. It’s great to be able to tell if a man is really listening to you.

8. His pupils are dilated.

Our eyes can reveal information that we might prefer to keep to ourselves, like when we’re attracted to someone. Our pupils become larger when we are physically aroused. It also happens in reverse, if we are turned off to someone our pupils will contract. Watch his eyes to see just how into you he really is.

9. His eyebrows are raised.

Your crush might keep his eyes down, or behind shades when he is around you so you can’t tell he likes you. If his eyes widen and his eyebrows remain raised while you are talking, it a definite sign that he’s flirting with you.

10. He's fidgeting.

Think about your own crush. Don’t you get a little fidgety around them. Well it’s no different for guys. He’s probably a little nervous that you might guess that he likes you. If you see him fidgeting, it’s because he’s nervous to strike up the conversation. Here’s another chance for you to show your confidence by starting the conversation yourself. Who knows, you could be looking at Mr. Right!
Old 02-21-2016, 11:45 PM
Master Fan

I miss Emmett. Have I mentioned that lately?

Oh, well, did everyone see Sean Berdy's coning video? Supposedly coning is the new planking. (Well, not that new, it's been around for a while.)

The video is in the first position on his Instagram at the moment:

https://www.instagram.com/seanberdy/

It's weird. That's for sure. But I love it. It's hilarious.

Maybe Skye and Emmett should go coning. That would be so funny to see. Too bad they didn't do that while Travis was visiting LA. I can see him shaking his head at the shenanigans.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I miss Emmett. Have I mentioned that lately?

Oh, well, did everyone see Sean Berdy's coning video? Supposedly coning is the new planking. (Well, not that new, it's been around for a while.)

The video is in the first position on his Instagram at the moment:

https://www.instagram.com/seanberdy/

It's weird. That's for sure. But I love it. It's hilarious.

Maybe Skye and Emmett should go coning. That would be so funny to see. Too bad they didn't do that while Travis was visiting LA. I can see him shaking his head at the shenanigans.
Yes but it's okay I miss him too