Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl under the floor (View Post)
I love all of you wrote, Amy, but I really agree with this

You know that I love your long and well thought out posts right? I wish I could return but most of the time all your writing I'm going like: "oh yes, I forgot that happened.' 'ah, that happened too'
I'm impressed with your knowledge of this show
Somehow I missed this post until just now. Thank you, Paula!

I love writing about Switched at Birth. This show means so much to me, and sharing thoughts and ideas with people who like it, too, is the BEST feeling.

I am constantly analyzing the story, as if doing so could somehow unlock the mystery to the meaning of life. Switched at Birth has taught me a lot about life and about myself, but it hasn't quite done that yet.

I do not understand why I am compelled to return to it, especially since I have been hurt so deeply by the story. I must intuitively feel that Switched at Birth will offer me something that I need. I am not sure what, though.

Sometimes I wonder if the writers realized the potential for depth and meaning that they presented to fans in Season 1, with the intricacies of the triangle surrounding Bay, Emmett, and Daphne. So much of that vanished later, but some of it still remains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AnastasiaGrey~ (View Post)
Yeah Amy writes what we think and that is pretty impressive lol
Ah, thank you, Tiana! That's sweet of you to say.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
Somehow I missed this post until just now. Thank you, Paula!

I love writing about Switched at Birth. This show means so much to me, and sharing thoughts and ideas with people who like it, too, is the BEST feeling.

I am constantly analyzing the story, as if doing so could somehow unlock the mystery to the meaning of life. Switched at Birth has taught me a lot about life and about myself, but it hasn't quite done that yet.

I do not understand why I am compelled to return to it, especially since I have been hurt so deeply by the story. I must intuitively feel that Switched at Birth will offer me something that I need. I am not sure what, though.

Sometimes I wonder if the writers realized the potential for depth and meaning that they presented to fans in Season 1, with the intricacies of the triangle surrounding Bay, Emmett, and Daphne. So much of that vanished later, but some of it still remains.

Ah, thank you, Tiana! That's sweet of you to say.
You are welcome
Old 02-16-2017, 03:41 AM
Master Fan

In the last episode, Surprise, Bay and Daphne share a scene, discussing Mary Beth, and for just a moment, I thought Daphne might be alluding to her friendship with Emmett:
BAY: I thought that we would be friends forever.

DAPHNE: Well, it's not like you were trying to hurt her. Sometimes these things just... happen in friendships. There's, like, a... pause for a while. I'm sure eventually she'll forgive you.

BAY:
Are we talking about me and Mary Beth or you and Iris?

DAPHNE: Just give her some space. That's what I'm doing.
But alas, she wasn't talking about her friendship with Emmett. Daphne was talking about Iris instead.

I don't even care about Daphne and Iris's friendship. They've been friends for only two seconds out of their long lives and only because they were thrown together as college roommates.

Even concern over her friendship with Sharee, or Mingo, would be more believable to me than concern over Iris. I'm surprised Daphne was in such a catatonic state, over a falling out with Iris.

I wish Daphne WAS more concerned about the pitiful state of her friendship with Emmett. Or just concerned about Emmett himself (and the depression from which he is currently suffering, or his suicide attempt).

Oh, well.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
In the last episode, Surprise, Bay and Daphne share a scene, discussing Mary Beth, and for just a moment, I thought Daphne might be alluding to her friendship with Emmett:
BAY: I thought that we would be friends forever.

DAPHNE: Well, it's not like you were trying to hurt her. Sometimes these things just... happen in friendships. There's, like, a... pause for a while. I'm sure eventually she'll forgive you.

BAY:
Are we talking about me and Mary Beth or you and Iris?

DAPHNE: Just give her some space. That's what I'm doing.
But alas, she wasn't talking about her friendship with Emmett. Daphne was talking about Iris instead.

I don't even care about Daphne and Iris's friendship. They've been friends for only two seconds out of their long lives and only because they were thrown together as college roommates.

Even concern over her friendship with Sharee, or Mingo, would be more believable to me than concern over Iris. I'm surprised Daphne was in such a catatonic state, over a falling out with Iris.

I wish Daphne WAS more concerned about the pitiful state of her friendship with Emmett. Or just concerned about Emmett himself (and the depression from which he is currently suffering, or his suicide attempt).

Oh, well.
Yeah I am surprised she hasnt hung out more with Emmett or tried to reconnect in that way
Old 04-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AnastasiaGrey~ (View Post)
Yeah I am surprised she hasnt hung out more with Emmett or tried to reconnect in that way
Me, too.

The writers missed every opportunity for depth and meaning in their character's relationships this season.

Daphne and Emmett go all the way back to the pilot episode. Even farther, really, because they were best friends when they were 8 years old.

Their friendship deserves more than a two second scene where Emmett gives Daphne a zombie t-shirt and they say that they miss each other, before Daphne goes off on her never-ending mission to save the world, one hearing aid at a time.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Master Fan

Well, this interview is weird.

Katie Leclerc is talking about Season 5, and she says this:

When Daphne comes back to what’s supposed to feel like home, everybody’s moved on, she can’t register for classes, and she’s got all these obstacles in the way. But the family is happy to see her and she’s happy to see the family – and most importantly, she’s really, really, really concerned for her friend Emmett. Of all the drama, her biggest concern is Emmett. We really tried to pay respect to [the fact that] Emmett’s dealing with a lot. He’s got a lot on his plate. He’s just overwhelmed, and who hasn’t felt that way? It’s a relatable first couple of episodes. Daphne always wants to be the best friend that she can be, but with Emmett, it’s complicated, so she feels extra guilty. You’re right, there’s a lot of curve balls!

Daphne’s heart is so big that even though Emmett and Daphne were estranged, her spirit is nurturing and welcoming. She does have to protect Bay, and that does make it complicated, but I think ultimately, she sees someone in pain and wants to help out, regardless of who it is and what the the consequences are.

Interview: Katie Leclerc on the Final Season of Switched at Birth - Exclusive

When did any of that happen? I don't remember seeing Daphne "really, really, really concerned for her friend Emmett."

Do you think something got cut from the episodes?

She goes on to say "her biggest concern is Emmett. We really try to pay respect to" that.

What? Did I miss an episode or something? I don't remember Daphne acting as though she cared about Emmett AT ALL in the last 10 episodes.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Supreme Fan

Did I blink and miss an Emmett/Daphne scene? They're supposed to be besties. I figured if B/E didn't end up together, Daphne could have ended up with Emmett. At least he would have ended up with somebody. Heck, everybody was paired off at the end BUT Emmett. Even Regina will have a jailbird romance going on. Never got into Daphne/Mingo.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 04-14-2017, 12:49 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
Did I blink and miss an Emmett/Daphne scene? They're supposed to be besties. I figured if B/E didn't end up together, Daphne could have ended up with Emmett. At least he would have ended up with somebody. Heck, everybody was paired off at the end BUT Emmett. Even Regina will have a jailbird romance going on. Never got into Daphne/Mingo.
Oh, how I wish that Lizzy Weiss had returned to Daphne and Emmett. If she is going to pair Bay with Emmett's brother, then she should have paired Emmett with Bay's sister.

Even if Lizzy Weiss didn't want to do it so soon, she could have left a door open to a Daphne and Emmett love connection in interviews after the finale aired.

But no, Lizzy Weiss has to put a firm stamp on Mingo being Daphne's OTP, and Travis being Bay's OTP.

Emmett gets left with nothing, absolutely nothing. He is my favorite character. He has been from the very beginning, not just for me, but for a lot of fans, and even Tank has a better ending than Emmett.

Heck, I would have LOVED to have seen a Mary Beth & Emmett pairing. They were adorable dancing together at Scratch on the night that Tank tried to take a swing at Emmett. Mary Beth & Emmett had a playful, fun chemistry. That'd have been a fun turn for both Mary Beth & Emmett. (Maybe Travis could have felt a little jealousy with Emmett dating his first love.)

But Emmett gets left with no one. He lost Bay. He lost Skye. Mandy turned out to be Matthew. And now, Emmett is losing his mother Melody to Matthew, too.

Emmett's future is going off to Tokyo with Bay's new lover and watching them hook-up with all that long-distance relationship heat, every time Bay travels to Tokyo to see Travis. I can imagine Emmett watching from across the room, as Bay & Travis FaceTime with each other, night after night.

What I cannot imagine is a more miserable future for any character than that. I hate Lizzy Weiss for doing that to a character I love.

At least, Emmett could have gone to Washington D.C. with his mom. If so, I could have imagined Emmett falling in love with a student at Gallaudet. Or Emmett could have gone back to school at USC, and I could have imagined him being successful in a film career, at least.

But no, Emmett gets to be a baseball groupie, as Travis embarks on his professional ball career. Travis punches a young man, and like all criminals on Switched at Birth, he ultimately gets rewarded for it.

But Lizzy has Emmett tagging along with Travis for the rest of his life, with no hope of ever escaping from that awful destiny or having anything more. Emmett will probably be taking family portraits for Bay & Travis, with their children, of course, every Thanksgiving.

I will just imagine Emmett committing suicide in Tokyo as soon as he arrives. Considering he is travelling there with a character who thinks he is faking his depression, that's a better future for Emmett than the one Lizzy Weiss has planned for him. It would have been nice if Daphne could have been a friend to Emmett, but she is obviously too busy for her old friend. Helping people is so important to Daphne now.