Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrhmLz (View Post)
On the topic of this love triangle, I'm at the point where I really think it is a thing of the past. I have a problem seeing the writers backtracking with this: For one, I don't see Emmett taking his attention away from earning Bay back and two, it would just appear to me like Daphne would be rebounding, looking for something to cling to in the moment. I feel that at the time, Daphne was experiencing 'first crush' on a best friend she's had forever and felt threatened for awhile when Bay became a serious part of the picture. It was one of those cases of 'wanting to make sure you wouldn't miss what you never had.' Daphne and Emmett never ventured beyond more, from what I could understand, and the waters were tested, that's all.
I pretty much agree with all of this.

Quote:
I agree, and since I feel that they're better as friends, bringing back the triangle would only be damaging to their characters without any gain.
Yes, exactly.

Also, I find it ridiculous when writers just pull stuff out of hats like that. I just couldn't buy that either were still harboring feelings for the other. We've seen no indication of it, and I'd hate it for them to try and sell it as though Emmett was just suppressing his feelings for Daphne and settling for Bay, because that's clearly not the case as we have seen.

After Daphne let Emmett go, it seems like she really let him go. So, I see no reason to bring it back when Bay and Emmett will still have issues from him cheating, and they have other issues as well. No need to bring Daphne into it. And I agree with Heather that it would seem like it was more about Daphne clinging to someone after Jeff than her having real feelings for Emmett.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
Also, I find it ridiculous when writers just pull stuff out of hats like that. I just couldn't buy that either were still harboring feelings for the other. We've seen no indication of it, and I'd hate it for them to try and sell it as though Emmett was just suppressing his feelings for Daphne and settling for Bay, because that's clearly not the case as we have seen.
Yes! It is ridiculous. It's as if writers think we won't notice when they rewrite what actually happened for dramatic effect.

EDIT: I found this song in the sidebar of a SaB video, and I think it's kind of perfect for Emmett and Daphne ("in another life" meaning if they hadn't found out about the switch, not if the girls hadn't been switched). The first verse would be in Daphne's point of view, the second verse in Emmett's, and the third in both of their points of view at different times.

Last edited by MagnoliaFairy; 11-16-2012 at 12:54 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
Last night, I rewatched The Intruder. Daphne is washing dishes at Maize, and she finds someone's lost retainer in a glass. It was a throwback to the scene where Bay, Emmett, and Daphne gain entrance to the gay bar, by claiming to look for Emmett's lost retainer. Writers like to do that kind of stuff. And usually, I like it, both when it happens in fiction and in real life.
I think you're right about the retainer being a throwback! "Is there a lost and found?"
Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Elite Fan

It could be. I just don't think it meant that Emmett and Daphne will end up together.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaFairy (View Post)
I think you're right about the retainer being a throwback! "Is there a lost and found?"
Yesterday, my seventh grade English students went on a field trip with me to the Landmark Theater to see five short stories brought to life on stage. After the show, our team took the 105 students to Bottoms Up Pizza in downtown Richmond. On our way back to the buses, a waiter came running out of the restaurant to tell a student that she had left her retainer on the table. He had it wrapped in a paper napkin for her.

I thought to myself, "Gross! But, hey, I guess that really DOES happen! Switched at Birth is on to something here."

Edited to add: Alyssa, my original post was confusing. You are right. The retainer reappearing doesn't indicate a future for Daphne and Emmett. That would make no sense. I only meant that writers like to return to little details like that, as a throwback to earlier episodes. Also, I love Magnolia Fairy's explanation for the comments that worried me from Emmett. She thinks "what Emmett said was a sort of unintentional insight. After all guys do seem to have a hard time letting go of Bay--if they ever completely do--and Emmett's heart specifically will always belong to Bay." Now that I look at Emmett's words that way, I don't feel there are any indicators of a Bay Emmett Daphne love triangle. All indications are that Emmett is head over heels in love with Bay, and that his love for her is the real thing.

Last edited by ollibear; 11-17-2012 at 08:50 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Addicted Fan

I don't think it means Emmett and Daphne end up together. He hasn't shown any interest in her in a LONG time. She's been through two guys since then and not one oz of jealousy.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:

Edited to add: Alyssa, my original post was confusing. You are right. The retainer reappearing doesn't indicate a future for Daphne and Emmett. That would make no sense. I only meant that writers like to return to little details like that, as a throwback to earlier episodes. Also, I love Magnolia Fairy's explanation for the comments that worried me from Emmett. She thinks "what Emmett said was a sort of unintentional insight. After all guys do seem to have a hard time letting go of Bay--if they ever completely do--and Emmett's heart specifically will always belong to Bay." Now that I look at Emmett's words that way, I don't feel there are any indicators of a Bay Emmett Daphne love triangle. All indications are that Emmett is head over heels in love with Bay, and that his love for her is the real thing.
Ah okay. Got it. I was a bit confused because I thought you meant the retainer itself had some deeper meaning and I was like, I think that's reaching a bit, but I thought you saw something I didn't.

I think Lydia was spot on about Emmett's words being insight, albeit unintentional at the time. When you think about it, the hints/anvils have been there all along for BE. Part of me goes back to the birthday episode where Emmett tells Melody him and Bay "aren't getting married; just trying things out." And then in 1x23 after Angelo is deported, Bay mentions all the events he'll never be at, including her wedding.

Probably really wishful thinking on my part, but I'd love for them to end up married.

And going back to the birthday episode, Melody's "Will she ever get to know you like a deaf girl could?" I think that's been answered.

There are some shows (TVD, DC) where I go, ah okay, as much as I hate this triangle it's not completely gone. I see hints. With this one? I just think it is gone. Even Daphne was like "No! Why do you always think that?" when Bay asked if her and Emmett were together. There was no longing on Daphne's part. It was like a seriously kind of thing which shows how far that is from her mind.

And I doubt she'd have been willing to help Emmett with Bay with the letter if there was any feelings still lingering. I think Daphne is rooting for them and has hope for them personally.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Ah okay. Got it. I was a bit confused because I thought you meant the retainer itself had some deeper meaning and I was like, I think that's reaching a bit, but I thought you saw something I didn't.

I think Lydia was spot on about Emmett's words being insight, albeit unintentional at the time. When you think about it, the hints/anvils have been there all along for BE. Part of me goes back to the birthday episode where Emmett tells Melody him and Bay "aren't getting married; just trying things out." And then in 1x23 after Angelo is deported, Bay mentions all the events he'll never be at, including her wedding.

Probably really wishful thinking on my part, but I'd love for them to end up married.
I agree with all of this 100%. I want to see them married! Emmett should be turning 18 in season 2A and Bay should be turning 18 in season 2B. Usually, I do not recommend marriage at 18, but for them, I want it to happen.

I saw the hints, too! Like you, I took the birthday episode (where Emmett tells his mom that he and Bay aren't getting married--they're just trying things out) as a hint. And Bay mentioning that if Angelo is deported, then he won't be there for her wedding, that seemed like a hint to me, too.

Also, when Emmett told his mom that Bay isn't going anywhere, that felt like foreshadowing to me.

And in the prom episode, when Kathryn gives Bay the bracelet to wear, and Bay tells Daphne, "The only thing that would make her happier is a double wedding." That was a hint, at least to me.

And Emmett writing the word "forever" on his timeline for Bay. That word made Bay choke up a bit. It feels like foreshadowing.

And when Bay told Angelo that Emmett's intentions toward her are honorable, that seemed like a hint.

And Emmett giving Bay the earplugs in a ring box (and getting down on one knee) felt like foreshadowing.

I see all of these things as hints.

Last edited by ollibear; 11-17-2012 at 09:30 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Addicted Fan

There are SEVERAL hints for E-bay...I don't think they were planted for nothing.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanamuchacha020 (View Post)
There are SEVERAL hints for E-bay...I don't think they were planted for nothing.
It's interesting, too. If the cheating had not happened, I do not believe Emmett would be in a rush to make things permanent with Bay. They would have gone to college, dated, and seen where life takes them.

But since the cheating did happen, and Emmett lost Bay, I do think he will be in a rush to make things permanent. It has been nearly a year since Bay has been in Emmett's life. If he gets her back, I believe he will push.

Emmett knows in his heart Bay is the one. Once they graduate high school, he is not going to want to wait to be with her. He will not take a chance on something else pulling them apart.

They were happy together from September 2011 until March 2012, and now, they have been broken up from March 2012 until at least January 2013.

Emmett has had so few moments with Bay during these last 10 months. Really, the car ride back from Texas is the only significant time that the two of them have shared. Other than that, it has just been a few quick moments here or there.

If he gets her back, he is not going to be satisfied with dating for long. He will want to marry her. That's my prediction, anyway.

Last edited by ollibear; 11-18-2012 at 07:02 AM
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Elite Fan

Haha.

Honestly, in real life and probably on other shows I'd cringe at having the young couple get married so early, but I think I'd be okay with BE getting engaged after high school, if not to put this triangle to bed once and for all.

Amy, I know it's confusing, but I think they broke up during May-June, not real time March, even though that's when the prom episode aired. They were supposed to air the 'summer' episodes in summer, but they got pushed back to fall. And judging by Bay's reaction to Simone, it's clear she had not seen her since the reveal, which makes it even more likely that prom happened right around the end of school.

I know the timeline is off because 1x09 was their birthday which was October and then the music festival picked up right after, but Emmett's timeline said their first I love you was February and that was 1x17, so to assume a good three-four months passed from 1x17 to 1x22 sounds odd, but I don't know any schools who would have a prom in March.

So in all likelihood it's been more like four-five months that they have been apart.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Haha.

Honestly, in real life and probably on other shows I'd cringe at having the young couple get married so early, but I think I'd be okay with BE getting engaged after high school, if not to put this triangle to bed once and for all.

Amy, I know it's confusing, but I think they broke up during May-June, not real time March, even though that's when the prom episode aired. They were supposed to air the 'summer' episodes in summer, but they got pushed back to fall. And judging by Bay's reaction to Simone, it's clear she had not seen her since the reveal, which makes it even more likely that prom happened right around the end of school.

I know the timeline is off because 1x09 was their birthday which was October and then the music festival picked up right after, but Emmett's timeline said their first I love you was February and that was 1x17, so to assume a good three-four months passed from 1x17 to 1x22 sounds odd, but I don't know any schools who would have a prom in March.

So in all likelihood it's been more like four-five months that they have been apart.
Your timeline probably is correct. Our proms are all in early-April around here, though.

Sometimes I think the writers switch dates mid-series, which shouldn't be done.

I do think SaB producers will take Emmett's timeline as canon, at this point though. And I love the idea that they first signed I LOVE YOU on Valentine's Day 2012 (family portrait day). The romantic in me swoons at that thought.

As a viewer of any series, it seems I never know how much time occurs in between episodes. Sometimes one week later is the next day in tv land (i.e., Game On/The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters). Sometimes writers use real time (in general, one week between). And sometimes months goes by between episodes that take place one week apart irl. It's crazy!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Elite Fan

Mine was beginning of June, and then my school year ended a few weeks later.

Do you mean canon as in the dates or canon as in the whole thing including BE forever?

I agree that it's weird when shows do that with time and you not knowing how much has passed, but I like that on this show they don't seem to be trying to slow it down in an effort to keep the kids young. I would like to see Bay, Daphne, Toby, and Emmett out of high school, but it seems like shows get scared of aging the teens because it's like, well, what now.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Do you mean canon as in the dates or canon as in the whole thing including BE forever?
I meant canon as in those dates. Once they aired the episode with the timeline, those dates became permanent, in my mind: First Meet, June 2011; First Kiss, September 2011; First Birthday surprise, October 2011; First "I Love You," February 2012.

That is how I had lined them up, too. So the timeline seemed pretty much accurate to me.

"Bay Forgives Emmett" and "Bay and Emmett Forever" are both wishful thinking on Emmett's part. They are Emmett's dream for the future and not canon at all, to me, at this point.

Quote:
I agree that it's weird when shows do that with time and you not knowing how much has passed, but I like that on this show they don't seem to be trying to slow it down in an effort to keep the kids young. I would like to see Bay, Daphne, Toby, and Emmett out of high school, but it seems like shows get scared of aging the teens because it's like, well, what now.
Did you ever watch Six Feet Under? That series had the best final episode of any I have ever watched. (In fact, I stopped watching television altogether after it went off the air, because I thought there was no way to top it. Here it is more than five years later, and I found Switched at Birth by a fluke. I am so glad that I did, because I now believe that another show could be just as satisfying.) Ever since I found SaB, I dream that before it goes off the air, even if it is just in its final episode, we will see the teens as full-fledged adults (after the college years). I REALLY want a glimpse into their adult life. I hope we have that one day.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Extreme Fan

I hope they don't backtrack to the triangle.

I feel like Daphne is over Emmett in a romantic sense but part of me is wondering if part of her still balks at sharing him with Bay in particular. The only reason I say that is because after the first day of the motorcycle show when Daphne confronts Bay about Emmett she spills her guts about everything offering her own opinion about letting him go while at the same time leaving out the key point that Emmett said he'd already found his perfect girl a.k.a Bay.

I don't know about you but it makes me cringe that while she may not be after Emmett for a relationship she still might not be really okay with sharing Emmett with Bay even though she still gets to keep him too. I think a part of her still wants something from her old life to be just hers. Make sense to anyone or is it just me??
A single text....................$1
Speaking his language...........Priceless