Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-07-2017, 05:49 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
Maybe it's just me but I grow tired of Lizzy's constant need to talk about social society issues. Powerful message for this problem but I saw this episode as nothing more than a waste of time and a filler. With the show ending, they could have devoted this episode to the core characters instead of characters you never see beyond that episode as much.
I found this whole racial thing same as Tank/Bay. Important issues, but they have done those so forced that it feels odd and not what was happening.

Bay/Tank it wasn´t really rape just drunk sex.

And this racial thing starting with costume which wasn´t about race but character?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTear1 (View Post)
I found this whole racial thing same as Tank/Bay. Important issues, but they have done those so forced that it feels odd and not what was happening.

And this racial thing starting with costume which wasn´t about race but character?
In both instances, I think the writers chose to "ease into" the topic by being "less sensational." But, their method makes the storyline more controversial than if Tank had sex with an incoherent Bay, or Mingo had purposefully tried to bully his fellow classmates of color, by mocking them.

Perhaps that's what the writers want. Controversy.

I suppose the writers believe they are presenting both sides of the issue in this way. I don't feel as though they do, though.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

I just couldnt connect to this episode I dont know hy
Old 03-08-2017, 08:22 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
I do remind myself that, at this point in the writing, the showrunner fully expected a full 20 episodes. She only found out that they did NOT get the greenlight for 20 episodes when they were filming the 100th episode, and by that point, they had already scripted all but the final episode of the series.

I am sure that the writers probably tinkered with the last few scripts here and there, before they started filming those last three episodes, but nothing that had already been filmed was re-shot. We are seeing the season as it would have played out if we had been given the full 20 episodes. The writers did not know to put the ending into hyperdrive until episode 101, and that's several episodes away, seeing as we just saw number 98.

I feel as though we would have gotten to know Sharee, Iris, and Chris even better, if we had the full 20. I know that there had been plans for a new Deaf character played by Amanda McDonough. I would have loved to see her interact with Daphne, Natalie, Travis, and Emmett. As it was, her whole story arc was scrapped, and she only got to tell Daphne (in ASL) that Iris had moved out of the dorm.

But even though I remind myself that the writers did not know this was the end of their series, I still do not understand why they chose to craft a story with such depth and beauty for this episode, when they craft such shallow stories for Bay, Daphne, Emmett, and Toby. WHY AREN'T THE WRITERS DIGGING FOR MEANING WITH THEIR CORE CHARACTERS?
That's a good point, Amy, and I didn't realize that about the writers not knowing until too late that the season would be cut short. That makes sense.

Still, as you say, even the episodes we've had so far (even imagining a 20-episode arc) haven't featured the same depth we had in seasons 1 and 2, or even close to it, as far as the core characters are concerned.

Quote:
On the night that Bay texted Emmett, I noticed the writer of that episode tweeted, "Dammit Bay don't fall for that bull****..." I tweeted to remind him that Bay is the one who instigated that series of texts, and he responded that "It takes two to tango."

Fair enough. That's true. But it disheartens me that the writers don't like Emmett. They believe he is insincere. They see Emmett as just handing Bay a line of bull.
Wow, Amy, that's quite outrageous! I can't believe a writer could write a particular story for a character, all the while thinking, "Man, I hope that a**hole fails miserably!" What a strange mindset to have while writing for a character whom we've come to know so well and have watched through some serious personal struggles. Normally, even for antiheroes, the audience starts to feel sympathetic toward them from knowing their personal story, and Emmett is hardly an antihero. He hasn't done anything worse than being a confused teenager who made some blunders.

I'm kind of glad I don't follow the writers or showrunner on social media, or I think I would be quite bitter reading things like that!

Quote:
I have never watched at TV series where I believe that the writers genuinely dislike all of their core characters. Maybe that's common in TV, and I just don't know it. But I don't think these writers like any of their characters, not Bay or Daphne or Regina or Kathryn or John or Emmett or Toby.

The writers may like Travis. I don't know. I believe the writers genuinely like Sharee, Iris, and Chris. But as for the core characters, I feel as though the writers have given up on them.

Maybe they are just bored with them, but if so, that's blasphemy. They created the most amazing characters in Season 1. I loved each character individually. I understood their perspective on the world. All of that is lost now. I don't even know the characters that well anymore. I cannot identify much positive about them that is consistent. Mostly the core characters on Switched at Birth make mistake after mistake. I find so little to admire about any of them anymore, and I feel as though the writers feel the same way.

Does anyone else think that, too?
Yeah, maybe that's it... I find it so sad to have the main characters reduced to these husks or caricatures of who they used to be, and the actors having to work with this crappy material and make the best of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTear1

And this racial thing starting with costume which wasn´t about race but character
I feel the same way. The issues don't feel as though they arise organically, but more like there's a flashing neon sign at the start of the episode: "We're going to deal with cultural appropriation now!!!!", "We're going to address campus rape now!!!"

And I did find myself wondering why the event in each case triggered such outrage and the labels of "rape" and "racism", respectively... in both cases, my opinion is that they weren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear
In both instances, I think the writers chose to "ease into" the topic by being "less sensational." But, their method makes the storyline more controversial than if Tank had sex with an incoherent Bay, or Mingo had purposefully tried to bully his fellow classmates of color, by mocking them.

Perhaps that's what the writers want. Controversy.

I suppose the writers believe they are presenting both sides of the issue in this way. I don't feel as though they do, though.
I think you're right that it would have been too black-and-white to have Tank be a sexual predator or for Mingo to be a KKK-type white supremacist. This way, the story has more nuance, but I feel they went too far in the other direction, in that it makes the black students (or in the Bay/Tank story, the school administration) seem like they're overreacting.

I don't follow the show on social media, but I get the impression from comments on this board that they do quite a lot of promotion at the start of each season about their big "controversial" storylines. Is that correct? Do you guys think it's effective in attracting viewers? I just feel like it makes it worse, because it becomes obvious that these social issue stories are a ploy to draw attention, and there is nothing really organic about them...
Old 03-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Wow great discussions you guys
Old 03-11-2017, 05:07 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaholic (View Post)
That's a good point, Amy, and I didn't realize that about the writers not knowing until too late that the season would be cut short. That makes sense.

Still, as you say, even the episodes we've had so far (even imagining a 20-episode arc) haven't featured the same depth we had in seasons 1 and 2, or even close to it, as far as the core characters are concerned.
I agree. This season feels off to me. I almost wonder if Freeform sensed that, too, and that's why they pulled the plug near the end of filming the first 10 episodes.

Quote:
Wow, Amy, that's quite outrageous! I can't believe a writer could write a particular story for a character, all the while thinking, "Man, I hope that a**hole fails miserably!" What a strange mindset to have while writing for a character whom we've come to know so well and have watched through some serious personal struggles. Normally, even for antiheroes, the audience starts to feel sympathetic toward them from knowing their personal story, and Emmett is hardly an antihero. He hasn't done anything worse than being a confused teenager who made some blunders.

I'm kind of glad I don't follow the writers or showrunner on social media, or I think I would be quite bitter reading things like that!
The showrunner has this air of condescension about her towards fans. When she speaks to an individual fan on Twitter, she is incredibly kind and generous. But when she addresses fans at large, it is as if she holds this great disdain for us. It's weird.

The worst moment ever was when Bay and Emmett finally made love. As that scene played out on screen, Lizzy Weiss tweeted something to the effect of "There you go. Are you satisfied now?" Those were not her exact words (and I do not have time to search for her actual tweet right now), but that was definitely her message.

I am sorry if she felt pestered by fans who care about Bay & Emmett, but for her to tweet something that was filled with disgust tainted what was a special moment on screen.

Quote:
Yeah, maybe that's it... I find it so sad to have the main characters reduced to these husks or caricatures of who they used to be, and the actors having to work with this crappy material and make the best of it.
That is the perfect way to describe it. In Seasons 1 and 2, I connected with characters who felt real and alive.

Now, they are just husks or caricatures of their former selves, and it is not the actors' fault. They are doing excellent work, with what they have been given.

Quote:
I feel the same way. The issues don't feel as though they arise organically, but more like there's a flashing neon sign at the start of the episode: "We're going to deal with cultural appropriation now!!!!", "We're going to address campus rape now!!!"
I agree. And through Tweets, that is pretty much what the showrunner is doing.

Quote:
And I did find myself wondering why the event in each case triggered such outrage and the labels of "rape" and "racism", respectively... in both cases, my opinion is that they weren't.
For me, I felt as though it triggered such outrage, because we have people on this planet right now that are outraged by such events. I see the writers as mimicking what is going on in the real world. I am glad they opened my eyes to it, because the tide needs to turn.

Quote:
I think you're right that it would have been too black-and-white to have Tank be a sexual predator or for Mingo to be a KKK-type white supremacist. This way, the story has more nuance, but I feel they went too far in the other direction, in that it makes the black students (or in the Bay/Tank story, the school administration) seem like they're overreacting.
Yes, it does. And I suppose that is counterproductive to what these writers wanted. At least, it seems to be, by following their personal politics online, too.

But I am glad that the writers exposed the absurdity of someone calling what happened to Bay rape or calling what Mingo did racism. People in the real world are doing that, and it is taking things too far.

In the situation with racism, Mingo's costume was followed up by incidents of racism, and so I feel as though the writers did a better job of following through with their story. In the situation with Bay, the writers did not follow up by showing us any perpetrators of rape, so I feel as though their message was lost.

Quote:
I don't follow the show on social media, but I get the impression from comments on this board that they do quite a lot of promotion at the start of each season about their big "controversial" storylines. Is that correct? Do you guys think it's effective in attracting viewers? I just feel like it makes it worse, because it becomes obvious that these social issue stories are a ploy to draw attention, and there is nothing really organic about them...
Yes, they do.

I feel exactly as you do. It makes it worse. It's like a neon flashing sign of "We have a very special episode to show to you." It's gratuitous and gross. The writers need to write a good story and let the work speak for itself. This sort of promotion cheapens what they are doing and makes it obvious that they have completely abandoned their characters which are the heart of EVERY story.