Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-26-2017, 04:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaholic (View Post)
You've convinced me with your theory! Actually, now I remember watching that scene (the hug between Tank and Mary Beth after he had quit the fraternity) and feeling like the writers were going to create a romance between these two. It seemed fitting because we wanted Bay to be with Emmett, and as you say, Lizzy Weiss does love the hate-turns-to-love trope. She's used it so much: for example, Travis hated Daphne and thought she was a privileged jerk, then he fell in love with her; also see Wes and Regina, and countless friendship plots in the same vein (Sharee/Daphne, Tess/Bay, etc.).

I'm excited to see whether you're right! Plus, you have quite a specific script for how they meet - I like it!
I was right. I cannot believe it, and yet, I can. I think that I have a good feel for what Lizzy Weiss will do. I predicted Angelo's death weeks before it happened, and I also predicted that Tank would "rape" Bay, although I no longer believe that's what happened at all.

All three of my predictions came from small hints in the promos or slight inflections of voice in interviews. Things that gave me an inkling of what might occur.

You are right about Lizzy Weiss's love of the hate-turns-to-love trope.
  • Travis and Daphne exchanged words before sparks flew.
  • Regina and Wes did the same.
  • Tank and Bay sparred a bit. He annoyed her anyway, before they ever kissed.
  • Toby and Lily out-and-out yelled at each other, before they fell into bed.
  • Chef Jeff and Daphne had an adversarial relationship, before they seduced each other.
  • Daphne and Mingo had a war, before he wooed her.
  • Natalie and Bay were arch enemies, before becoming the best of friends.
  • Sharee and Daphne were the same.
  • Tess and Bay were the same.
  • Emmett and Travis may not have been arch enemies, but they disliked each other immensely, until Daphne explained to Emmett that Travis's parents had kicked him out of their home (although later, we learned that was not true).

Even Travis and Bay fall into this trope, as he did not like her when first meeting her. He only helped her with the money from the safe, because she was John's daughter. Later, Travis did not want Bay at Carlton, at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charming_essa (View Post)
I could see the Mary Beth and Tank relationship happening too. The promo seemed to hint at it, but sometimes they can be misleading.

I wish I liked Toby and Lily, because I normally love a good TV wedding, but I also kinda hope the wedding won't happen.
I wish the wedding had not happened, too, although, with the show ending, I guess it doesn't matter.

I did like the moment when Lily was able to laugh at herself and say, "No, I only yell in the middle of wedding ceremonies with our entire family watching." That was cute and self-deprecating. I liked it.

I also liked that even though Toby and Lily were both furious at each other during the ceremony, neither one of them was about to call it off. That's love, and it is confidence in their love. Plus, it reminds me of the first time they had sex. It seems to be their routine now.

Toby and Lily aren't my favorite couple. I'd still rather have seen Toby with someone like Simone, who really loved him. But I can accept Toby and Lily and hope they make it as a couple. They have the potential to be good for each other, because they each have something the other is lacking. It could provide a good balance for them, as long as one or the other doesn't fall out of love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
I knew Bay hurt Mary Beth with dating Travis..She deserted everyone for China and is offended that people moved on without her. Bay is all over the place with Tank, I swear. One moment, she doesn't blame him for what happens, now she does. She is finally getting the realization that her and Marybeth may not survive this. Doesnt matter if you knew Travis first, you did not date him first. Now Bay is deeply hurt over Tank with Marybeth. Bay continues to pull back from Travis. Lily and Toby's wedding was so ackward, ugh. I see Toby's gambling has reared its ugly head again.
Bay is all over the place with Tank, which I suppose could be true-to-life, but for viewers wanting some closure, it's really annoying.

Bay did pull back from Travis quite a bit this episode. Turning down his offer to spend the night with her speaks volumes as to her feelings about him.

It seems as though Travis was someone with whom Bay enjoyed having sex, while on vacation. But now that Bay is home, she doesn't seem as attracted to Travis. I guess we will see what happens between them. Perhaps it is just her feelings for Emmett getting in the way, and if Bay is able to put those behind her, then maybe Travis can be The One.

But even Travis was regretting his time spent in China, in the next episode. It would appear neither of them see the other as their soulmate.

Who knows? My intuition tells me that Bay and Travis won't end the series as a couple, no matter what else happens (or doesn't happen) with Emmett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl under the floor (View Post)
Ugh, what a disappointing episode
I agree. Bay lying to Travis and immediately texting Emmett devastated me. It has taken me nearly two weeks to even be able to respond to this thread. It upset me THAT much.

Really, and truly, that moment broke my heart.

I wanted to believe that Bay had learned some kind of a lesson, after she betrayed Emmett, and hurt him as deeply as she had, at that dorm party. It shocked me to see that Bay could be as callous with Travis's heart, as she had been with Emmett's.

Didn't she learn anything from that experience?

But in the next episode, it appears she did finally put two and two together. I was so proud of Bay for finally telling Emmett that they could not be friends any more. (As a side note, I know another fan in his twenties, who was devastated by that scene. He lost respect for Bay, whereas I gained respect for her. It's interesting how people can have such different perspectives on every issue.)

Quote:
When at first Lily really wanted to take Carlton to bed herself, I got that I suspected that the show was immediately trying to hint at the fact that Lily was a mom-zilla, but to me that isn't a mom-zilla thing to do at all. Speaking as a mom myself, I'd never let others take my babies to bed, especially not if the child had never seen the person in question (let's be honest here, I know Kathryn is the grandmother, but it's not like Carlton knows her at this point).

Really bummed out by the fact that Toby was gambling again I thought we were over that And it was such an easy way for the writers to create that little extra bit of drama

The rest of the things that Lily was a mom-zilla, Toby was right about that
And while they are not my favorite couple, I am glad that they decided to stay (though. . . why have them leave in the first place )
I didn't see Lily's decision not to let Kathryn put Carlton to bed as part of her momzilla persona. Like you, that's just something normal to me.

I was happy Toby was gambling again. It's something we have begged to see on this board. I am only sad that we won't have time to explore it, because it has the potential to be such a good story for his character. I wish we had gotten the last 10 episodes of Season 5 from Freeform. I feel as though the writers may have explored Toby's gambling arc more, if we had. Without the extra 10 episodes, it's kind of silly to even open the door to it, because it will probably have such a quick fix. (It's the same with Emmett's depression.)

Quote:
So now we know why the unbelievable scene of Bay almost dying in China was so necessary. So that Daphne can have PTSD It didn't make sense to me.

And the reason it didn't make sense to me is because the threat of Bay dying didn't translate on screen as all that scary to begin with. If I had felt something with that, if they had made me worry, then I'd feel for Daphne now (maybe). But because I really didn't, I'm just rolling my eyes

I never watch any promos or sneak peeks, so had no idea what to expect this episode. So to me Tank showing up like that, being Mary Beth's boyfriend did shock me, I was not expecting that twist.

And I can be a forgiving person, but in this instance I'm totally with Travis (what?! Yep, I'm agreeing with Travis). The fact that Mary Beth's mom had a stroke does not justify the fact that she's dating her friend's rapist.

I know it's still and will probably always be a controversial topic to discuss. And I'm not really looking for discussion here But if a person is too drunk to consent, that means there is no consent. If there is no consent, it's rape. Period.

I would never forgive my friend for dating my rapist. So of course Mary Beth is free to do whatever she wants, but I'm totally understanding of Bay if that means the end of the friendship. It would be a deal-breaker for me for sure.

While I'm still not a fan of his aggressive attitude, I really loved that Travis went and called out Mary Beth, being a fierce protector for Bay

WHY is this show doing this to me?!? I never liked Travis. I never liked the relationship Bay & Travis had. Yet, I'm finding myself actually appreciating their relationship for these past few episodes. Not loving their relationship, but beginning to like it a bit.
So Bay flat out lying to Travis and going to see Emmett. . .

I'm a Bemmett fan all the way, like I said before, I will hope for the two of them to be endgame until the bitter end. But I really wish Bay would take a different approach to all of this here
I'm not looking to debate either. I respect your opinion, but I feel differently from you, on this topic. I do not see Tank as guilty of anything at all.

To me, unless a society is going to outlaw all sex under the influence of alcohol, then it is impossible for that society to say that people under the influence of alcohol cannot give legal consent.

I support the law saying that an unconscious person cannot consent to sex. It's a good law.

I support the law saying that a person who cannot speak in complete sentences cannot consent to sex. That's a good law, too.

And of course, if anyone indicates "no" with words or gestures, then they have not consented to sex.

But I disagree with any law saying that someone who is under the influence of alcohol, but who is also conscious and able to speak in complete sentences, cannot consent to sex. The only way I would agree to that law is if ALL sex between people under the influence of alcohol is illegal.

I'd rather live in a world that respects the right of adults to take the risk, though.

We know from the script and from interviews with Lizzy Weiss that 1) Bay was conscious throughout the sex. 2) Bay was able to speak in complete sentences. 3) Bay didn't indicate "no" at any point. 4) Bay was acting as though she was into the act.

To convict a man of rape for having sex with a woman under those four circumstances, just because she happened to be making decisions under the influence of alcohol, is unfair. The only way that would be fair is if all sexual intercourse under the influence of alcohol is forbidden by law.

I thought Travis was horrible to Mary Beth, especially considering their history and the trust she had given him in the past. I lost even more respect for Travis in that scene. It reminded me of the moment that Travis told Bay he did not want her at Carlton, but at least Bay wasn't someone who had ever given her heart to Travis, in that scene.

I agree with you about Bay flat out lying to Travis and going to see Emmett. That was awful to watch. I am completely in Travis's corner on that one. Bay was despicable in that moment. It was the same thing she did to Emmett, when she dated him. It was the same thing she did to Tank, when she dated him. It was the same thing she did to Ty, when she dated him.

It's the first time I have ever lost all respect for Bay. Even when she texted Skye from Emmett's cell phone, I could still respect Bay. I knew that she was hurting. I understood Bay when she slept with Emmett, while dating Tank, too. And I understood her, when she slept with Tank, while dating Emmett.

But watching Bay lie to Travis and drive off to see Emmett made me lose all respect for her. I am so glad Bay made it clear to Emmett in the next episode that they cannot be friends anymore.

Finally, Bay seems to understand loyalty. My respect for her returned. (It was really only gone for a moment anyway. It was just hard for me to watch her drive off to see Emmett, after she had just lied to Travis.)

Quote:
John trying to match Daphne and Luca was hilarious
And I was glad everyone was so understanding towards Regina about Luca Let's hope that's the last we'll talk about that. I mean, have them be a couple, fine, but let's no longer make an issue about the age difference.
Yes, I agree! I feel the same way about John playing matchmaker AND about Regina and Luca's future together.

Luca is cute. I don't really care to see Regina with him (or with anyone), but I will like getting to know Luca. Maybe he could even be something of a father figure to both Daphne and Bay. I'd like that, now that Angelo is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
I agree with you. While I know drunken sex happens, I no longer excuse it just because alcohol was involved. If you are too drunk, you cannot consent and Bay was that.. Bay and Marybeth both made poor choices here. If they do not rectify these choices, there may not be a friendship for the future and that was touched on in the episode. Bay has serious history with Tank, and Marybeth has the same with Travis. I do not care if Bay knew him first, she did not date him first. Bay's attitude towards Tank is tiresome for me, one moment she's defending him then the next she's putting all the blame on him. She knows he's not a bad guy and he really cares about her and would never intentionally hurt her.
I addressed my thoughts about sex under the influence of alcohol up above.

I don't see as Mary Beth made a poor choice, but I do agree that Bay's attitude towards Tank is tiresome.

If Bay wants to choose the perspective that will most empower her, she will choose to believe that Tank did not rape her. It would give Bay strength to accept responsibility for what happened and to feel in control of her destiny.

The next most empowering perspective is for Bay to believe that Tank did rape her and to move on with her recovery from there. That choice also allows Bay to feel in control of her destiny.

The least empowering perspective is to vacillate between the two perspectives. Bay has no control over anything with that way of looking at the world. She cannot take responsibility. She cannot forgive and move on with her life. She is stuck in a quagmire.

I hope something happens to change that soon for Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griselda (View Post)
Its abuse- Tank-.use condom. Not stop in?
Like Bay and Emmett.
I like Bay & Emmett, too.

I don't see how the condom has anything to do with it.

At Occidental College, in the real-life incident that inspired the Bay and Tank sexual consent storyline, the girl is the one who texted several times to make sure that the boy had a condom.

She showed up at his dorm, after her friends had dragged her away twice.

On her last trip to his dorm, she texted her friends that she was going to lose her virginity to him. She went on to have sex with him that night. Someone even walked in on them during the act, and she was the one on top of him.

The next day, she remembered nothing. She accused him of raping her, because she was drunk. Her professor had told her that drunk people cannot consent.

The boy was expelled from school (and not allowed admission into any other university), when he was just as drunk as her and he does not remember anything about the evening either.

How is that fair?

Quote:
So, first of all, kudos to Amy/ollibear for completely calling the whole sequence with Bay and Tank - wow!!!
Aw, thanks! I feel as though I know Lizzy Weiss's writing really well now, but I still got lucky to guess this one.

Quote:
True, that seemed like an immature reaction, the same way as when Daphne was so surprised that pre-med hadn't waited for her either. Also, it seems a tad unrealistic in this age of Facebook that Bay and Mary Beth wouldn't have known more about what was going on in each other's lives, at least in terms of major things like Mary Beth's mother's illness, Mary Beth being in a relationship, etc.
I could see one or the other of the two girls not using social media. It's not too hard for me to believe that they might have lost touch. Mary Beth seems like a private person.

I do agree that it was an immature reaction, just like Daphne being surprised about pre-med not waiting for her.

Quote:
So true. Bay's reaction didn't match her previous declarations that she didn't blame Tank and that both of them had made mistakes. If she had couched her negative reaction to the news more in terms of how painful that whole situation and the memories were for her, and that Tank would always serve as a reminder of that time, it would have made more sense to me and been more fair, I think, rather than saying "don't date my rapist", which suggests that that's the label she has assigned to Tank. "Not a bad guy, but a rapist" - it doesn't make sense.
Yes, to all of this!

I agree. It doesn't make sense the way it was written, for all of the reasons you point out.

Quote:
I thought that part was realistic, at least. I think it's been brought up on this board that it was kind of unrealistic how easily Toby's gambling problem was resolved after he owned up to it, and it was never referred to again until just now. It makes sense to me that in a time of stress like this, with all of the new responsibility and a difficult relationship, Toby would turn to gambling as a crutch.
Yes, I was happy about this turn of events. We have brought up the topic on this board that it was unrealistic Toby would just be cured.

I wish we had more time to explore his addiction, but oh, well. I suppose that's the least of my heartache over unexplored storylines on this TV series. The writers dropped the ball on so much.

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you - her decision about bedtime made sense, but it was obvious Lily was quite controlling about every aspect of Carlton's schedule.

Still, I can understand it. She probably feels like she has so little control in her life, that she clings to the order she can impose. Their fight just before the wedding ceremony, and during the ceremony, felt very realistic to me. So often, people bottle things up or try to hold back their resentment/frustrations, only for it to come out explosively, which is what happened here. I liked their discussion afterwards in Bay's room - I thought that part of the script was very well-written.
Yes, I agree with all of this! I felt the same way.

I was super impressed with Toby telling Lily that no father would ever feel like a failure as a parent because he didn't want to stay home full time with his child.

I respected their relationship more after their conversation. It was well-written. The only thing missing, for me, is that the acting wasn't quite as convincing as I would have liked it to be, when they discussed their fears for their son's future.

Both actors threw the lines out there, but I didn't feel as though either one of them was truly feeling any fear. It was weird.

Quote:
Right? It bothers me that when bad things happen to other people, it's all about Daphne. Angelo dies, other people mourn as best they can, but Daphne spins out of control and it's all about her. Bay saves her and no one thinks much of that. Then Bay gets really sick (maybe indirectly through some fault of Daphne's), Daphne saves her, and it's all about Daphne because (A) she's superwoman who carried Bay 3 miles, found a clinic, etc. etc., and (B) because now Daphne has PTSD and Bay is apologizing because she didn't realize how hard it was for poor Daphne to see Bay so sick. Seriously, WHAT?!?!
Yes! I am sick of all of this.

Part of it is the family's fault for babying Daphne. Bay does it, too, maybe worse than anyone else, especially as of late. I would love one scene this season where Bay gets furious with Daphne and blames her for losing Emmett.

But we will never get that. The writers have bonded the girls together, and even if they fight, Bay will never accuse Daphne of costing her the relationship with Emmett. Unfortunately, I don't even think Bay's old relationship with Emmett means that much to her anymore. It's just something to remember with nostalgia now.

Back when Bay was mourning its loss, I wish she had let Daphne really have it, at least once.

Emmett used to baby Daphne, too, in the very beginning. But he quickly gave it up in order to be loyal to Bay.

I wish Daphne's family would stop treating her like a china doll. It makes me dislike Daphne, and that's unfortunate.

Quote:
Bay is repeating all of her trademark mistakes in this episode: not letting things be but having to butt in, force a confrontation, etc. (with Mary Beth); and doing well-meaning but obviously misguided things (lying to Travis to meet with Emmett). I'm frustrated with her.
Yep, it was difficult for me to watch. It almost made me feel like giving up on the show. I have a hard time watching characters repeat mistakes over and over again, with zero growth.

At least, Bay grew a little in the next episode.

Quote:
^ I didn't even think about the unlikeliness of Mary Beth and Bay not knowing anything about each others lives because social media Good point!
Even more so because last episode was all about the social media

Also, I agree with everything you said about Daphne

By the way, if it's asked before, sorry, what would you like us to call you? Just Tea? Or do you want to share your name?
That last episode was all about social media.

I wonder if Mary Beth knows what is happening with Daphne and Mingo. I wonder if Mary Beth will be brought into anything going on at the college. She should be, but I doubt that she will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griselda (View Post)
[COLOR="Purple"]Tank was a good friend, I did not reveal anything about the late Bays aunt.
But I think she feels betrayed for Tank-That he would have had sex with her, being drunk
not a good choice.Daphne about China in instagram?, do not know if Bay too [/COLOR]

The world kept walking without them.
Bay was afraid too-To learn how her aunt died-

It is not strange that Travis left Mary Beth.Remember the opinion about what happened between Tank and Bay?And this is the subject that travis was abused being a boy.
I think Bay should feel as though she betrayed herself.

Bay knew Tank was in love with her. She knew that she had broken his heart. She knew that he never got over her and still wanted a relationship with her. Yet, Bay told Tank about all of her problems with Emmett. She flirted with him and made him feel as though she wanted him sexually. Then, she got drunk with him, and Bay's words and actions made Tank believe that she wanted to have sex with him. To me, nothing about this scenario is Tank's fault, unless society has decided to altogether outlaw sex under the influence of alcohol.

Travis did not leave Mary Beth, even after she indicated that what happened with Tank was Bay's fault. Mary Beth is the one who broke up with Travis, because he called her a "ball and chain" to his baseball buddies and indicated that he appreciated all of the attention that the girls were giving him on campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charming_essa (View Post)
This is the first epsiode of this season that I really didn't care for.

I'm very disappointed in Bay for lying to Travis and going off to meet Emmett. I don't think she and Travis belong together, but he deserves better than the way she is treating him.

Also not a fan of Bay's illness in China being all abut Daphne for the same reasons other have already said.

I think Toby and Lily have a rough road ahead of them, but now that they're communicating instead of just being angry at each other, I hope they make things work.

I hope we don't see anymore of Mary Beth and Tank. To me it felt like that was done for the sake of *shocking plot twist*. It makes no sense to me for those 2 characters to be together and I really don't want to see any more of them.
I agree.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Mary Beth and Tank, but I don't need to see any more of them.

It's enough for me to know that they found some happiness together. The story does not call for any more exploration of their relationship.

I would like to hear Bay clarify, for the record, how she sees the incident. In her mind, was it rape? Was it drunken sex and cheating?

I just want to know how she finally processed the event. To me, even if the sex did not happen, Bay cheated on Emmett that evening. I would like for her to apologize to him for that, but we will probably never see it.

In the next episode, if Bay went to a party with another ex-boyfriend (say Emmett or Liam or Noah), and told him all about her big fight with Travis, and if she got drunk with that ex-boyfriend and sat on his lap, and ground her bottom into his crotch, wouldn't that be disloyal to Travis?

Why didn't most of the fans on social media feel as though Bay was disloyal to Emmett, when she did that with Tank? Why did Emmett get all of the blame, when he felt betrayed by Bay.

I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jintian (View Post)
But that is literally what Bay did? Not once in this episode did she call Tank a rapist (that was Travis). Bay's actual words to Mary Beth when they had that first shouting match were: "I know that he is not a bad guy. But any time I see him or even hear his name, it just, it brings all of that up again."

Mary Beth also said, just prior to that: "If I were you, I'd probably feel the exact same way."

Unless I missed something, I think the show on the whole has been very careful with Bay's reactions and confusion about how to characterize what happened with Tank, and they've still tried to be that this episode. In fact, I wish they were braver about having her consider it rape, full stop, but they're trying to ~show all sides~ and have Bay be forgiving and compassionate with people who hurt her, even and especially when she should be putting herself first.
You are right! That's exactly what they both said.

The show has been very careful with Bay's reactions and confusion about how to characterize what happened with Tank.

But while Bay's words did not condemn Tank, her anger in that moment with Mary Beth sure made it seem as though Bay was condemning him.

I also agree that Bay should be putting herself first. She gets into a lot of trouble, because she tries to deny herself something she wants, but then, she cannot stick to it.

I don't think she should call it rape, though, because to me, it is so far away from what I would eve consider as rape. If Bay was so drunk she could not speak, then I would agree. But she was talking quite a bit, in complete sentences. If a person is able to do that, and if sex under the influence of alcohol is legal, then I do not understand how could call that rape. It's one of those situations, in my mind, where the person who chose to get that drunk just has to accept the risk of possibly doing something that he or she would not have chosen to do, if sober.

If the writers had written the story so that Tank actually was a rapist, then it would have been poignant to watch Bay grow brave enough to come to terms with what had happened to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S (View Post)
When I watched the pilot to this show, I believed that it had promise to be different. When I saw episode 215, the episode where the switch never occurred, I believed that it was possible that this show could end up more negative than positive, especially in the Kennish house. When Bay took the fall for Daphne, I believed that there was no way that this show would end positively for the 2 young women.
Two years ago, I posted those predictions. I believed that they would both be psychologically destroyed. Apparently, my predictions were TOO negative but there is still a chance that this show will end badly for them.
I believed that Daphne would feel such tremendous guilt if something ever happened to Bay. I thought that because she was a convicted felon that Bay would have problems with the law. It doesn't look like that is going to happen. However, in episode 503, we FINALLY saw that guilt from Daphne. She said it was because she insisted that Bay go to China with her but it is PROBABLY deeper than that. We'll see if the writers expand on that or not.
As for Bay, there could be something SERIOUSLY wrong with her. I'm Sorry if this offends some of the other posters, but if she dumps Travis, whom she supposedly loves, to go back to Emmett, that is sick. NOTHING good will come from that.
I disagree.

You can love someone in the way that Bay loves Travis and still recognize that the person is not the one with whom you are meant to be in a relationship forever.

There's nothing sick about two people outgrowing each other (or being right for each other for a short time, but not forever). To me, that's life.

Quote:
You're probably right - I don't remember whether Bay actually came out and said the word "rapist" in connection with Tank, but I stand corrected that it was probably only Travis who did. However, she didn't correct Travis, as I recall. Also, the first thing she said to Mary Beth after Mary Beth's explanation of how she got together with Tank was,

"How could you... be... with him after what he did?"

Doesn't that sound like she's blaming him and saying he raped her? Afterwards, she said what you quoted, and that's where the disconnect is for me - she seems to be simultaneously holding Tank responsible, but also not. Personally, I don't consider what happened to be rape, as neither of them was really in a position to give consent, but that's not really the point. I'm fine with whatever Bay defines it as. It just seemed that her reaction was in contradiction to how she previously parted with Tank and how she seemed to regard the whole situation.
I agree 100%.

Quote:
I agree with you there, and maybe what I see as contradictions are really natural consequences of being confused and upset over something like this happening, so I should give Bay a break.
Me, too. I should give Bay a break, too.

It's just tedious for me to watch her confusing, when I feel so strongly convicted about my own opinion on the subject.

Plus, if she could define the experience in one way or another, once and for all, then she might be able to move past it. I fear without adopting a perspective on the experience, she will continue to feel lost.

When Bay gave her statement to the college, she indicated that what Tank had chosen to do was not okay. Instead, I wish she had indicated that what THEY had chosen to do was not okay.

Both Bay and Tank chose to get so drunk that they lost their inhibitions. Because of that, Bay gave Tank every indication that she wanted to have sex with him, and no indication that she did not. If Bay and Tank had robbed a bank when they were that drunk, no one would be excusing Bay from responsibility for her actions. The same should be true for this situation, as well.

Quote:
You know, that was my initial thought as well, and I was quite hopeful that the writers would really explore Daphne's guilt and not gloss over it. Toward the end of the episode, though, when Bay apologized to Daphne, saying that she didn't realize how hard her illness in China had been for Daphne, I kind of lost hope. The writers seem to be reverting to the stereotypical arc of "Daphne expresses feelings -> everybody coddles her and everything is better", instead of exploring why Daphne is feeling this guilt and that maybe she does owe Bay something and needs to make some kind of restitution, or at least truly own up to her own past behavior. She still hasn't done that.
Me, too. Gosh, I would have loved to see Daphne finally feel her guilt.

It's an elephant in the room at this point. A shadow that follows Daphne where ever she goes.

I really need to see Daphne own up to the horror of what she did to Bay. I don't care if it was Bay's idea. Daphne should not have allowed Bay to make such a huge sacrifice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S (View Post)
The ONLY restitution that Daphne could make to Bay is to become a doctor. The ONLY reason why Bay took the blame was so that Daphne would be able to become one.
I still don't think Bay took the blame so that Daphne could become a doctor. I know that Bay SAID that, but I feel Bay was too scared to go to LA with Emmett, and taking the fall for Daphne got her off the hook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstool Prophet (View Post)
I just want Bay away from this drama and building her own life around art. I mean I wish Ty would magically appear, but year I know that isn't going to happen .

I really wanted Regina to make a bigger effort towards Bay. I always see John and Katherine trying with Daphne and I feel Regina hasn't done the same for Bay.

I really want some closure before the finale.
I don't like Ty with Bay. I feel like his relationship with her was even less sincere than her relationships with other suitors (i.e, Travis, Tank, and Noah). I think I could have enjoyed seeing Ty with Daphne, especially if he could have inspired her to act more maturely. But that storyline would have needed to happen before Bay slept with him.

I am uncomfortable with brothers and sisters switching sexual partners.

Even now, with Bay & Emmett, I find myself wondering why Emmett would want to be with Bay again, knowing she was with Travis sexually, or why Travis would want to be with her, knowing she was with Emmett.

It would be the same situation if Daphne had ever slept with either Emmett or Travis. Would Bay really want to sleep with either of them, knowing that they had been with her sister, too? Doesn't that feel too close for comfort?

From here on out, for the rest of their lives, whenever Emmett and Travis show up at a family function together, they are both going to be reminded that the other has had sex with Bay. That's not a big deal if neither one is with Bay anymore, but if one of them IS still with Bay, then it makes family functions awkward and uncomfortable.

Why do that to yourself?

After Episode 4, I can tell Travis is already insecure. If Travis and Bay stay together, he will always be looking over his shoulder whenever Emmett is in the room. And the same will be true for Emmett, too, if he and Bay somehow manage to rekindle their relationship.

In the future, at every family function, Emmett will always be looking at how Travis and Bay are interacting with each other and feeling uncomfortable about it. Yuck.

Why is Melody even a surrogate mother to Travis anyway? It was one thing to offer him a home during his senior year of high school. It's another thing to continue to put him ahead of her own biological son. And Melody does that on every turn.

No wonder Emmett is depressed. Both his mother and father put others ahead of him. Bay put others ahead of him. Daphne puts others ahead of him. Emmett has been disrespected by everyone on this show.

Is Emmett friends with Toby anymore? I don't think so. That must have fallen by the wayside when Toby asked Tank to move in with him.

Here, we have a depressed and suicidal Emmett, and I haven't seen a single character reach out to him. Both Bay and Travis tried to reach out to Emmett, but they both cut that contact off quickly.

Emmett is really on his own with this depression thing, but I guess that's okay. I don't think the writers are going to pay any attention to his storyline anyway.

Last edited by ollibear; 02-26-2017 at 04:27 PM
Old 03-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

I Just wish they didnt introduce that for Emmett and just threw it away like that. Mental issues isnt something to look over .
Old 04-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AnastasiaGrey~ (View Post)
I Just wish they didnt introduce that for Emmett and just threw it away like that. Mental issues isnt something to look over .
I agree.

I saw that someone posted a tweet to Lizzy Weiss. In it, she said that watching all of Emmett's friends desert him in the wake of his depression makes her feel as though all of her friends will do that to her, too.

I never even thought about that aspect of it. It's so sad to think that someone might see the way Travis, Bay, and Daphne have treated Emmett since they returned from China and think that's how their friends will treat them, too.

As for this episode "Surprise," one of my all-time favorite TV shows is "Life Goes On" with Chris Burke. I have seen every episode several times and loved them all. But what Lizzy Weiss is doing with Toby and Lily's relationship and discussions over parenthood isn't touching me the way that "Live Goes On" moved me.

Switched at Birth is lacking depth this season. The writers are spread too thin, with Travis's sexual abuse, the black student union, Emmett's "non-existent" depression, and Toby & Lily's interfaith marriage.

I'd love to see an exploration of life with Down syndrome on TV again, but Switched at Birth cannot do it all, and by trying to do so much, they're left with not doing anything well.

I wish that the writers had explored Deaf culture in greater depth. That's truly where the writers did their best work in the first season and a half, and it all fell apart after they abandoned that story in the wake of the all-ASL episode.

The producers should have doubled down on their story and brought on some Deaf writers and directors. I wish that they had.