Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Master Fan

#417 "To the Victor Belong the Spoils" ~ Episode Discussion

#417 "To the Victor Belong the Spoils"

Air Date: Monday, October 5, 2015, at 8:00 PM on ABC Family

Mingo helps Daphne organize a fundraiser for a sign language school in Mexico; and Bay is livid after a student sells crude T-shirts using her artwork.
Elsewhere, Regina faces the consequences of digging through Eric's past.

Last edited by ollibear; 10-03-2015 at 04:50 PM
Old 10-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Supreme Fan

We all knew that Regina's undercover trip with Daphne spelled doom ... She clearly didn't think that one out, or what she would say if Eric's ex was still dealing. I wonder what will come of it though.

Tired of Daphne/Mingo. Then again, Daphne's relationships rarely last longer than a 1/2 season so I imagine we probably won't see much of him anymore.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 10-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Supreme Fan

dp
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Last edited by Wes&FredFan; 10-04-2015 at 08:58 PM
Old 10-04-2015, 12:49 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
Tired of Daphne/Mingo. Then again, Daphne's relationships rarely last longer than a 1/2 season so I imagine we probably won't see much of him anymore.
I hope so. Honestly, I dislike Mingo. He really is Wilke 2.0 to me and I strongly disliked Wilke as well. He just seemed extremely shallow and self-serving. Mingo is only slightly better in my opinion. Sadly, he's probably the best boyfriend Daphne has had sans Liam.

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!
Old 10-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Supreme Fan

They really seem to just put her with guys to see if one will stick. I've given up really shipping her with people.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 10-05-2015, 03:18 AM
Dedicated Fan

I'm a little annoyed this is a Daphne centric episode. I don't find her storylines interesting at all. It actually makes me feel a little bad for Katie Leclerc because I think she's a great actress, just stuck with a lame horse of a character (in my opinion of course). She was interesting at the start of the show and then slowly I lost complete interest in her.

Hopefully the Bay storyline will take up more of the show than it looks. I think appropriation of an artist's work is an interesting topic and so little can be done about it if it falls within fair use...making money off it is where it starts looking less grey. Either way, way more interesting than a fundraiser and Regina drama.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:25 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiek (View Post)
I'm a little annoyed this is a Daphne centric episode. I don't find her storylines interesting at all. It actually makes me feel a little bad for Katie Leclerc because I think she's a great actress, just stuck with a lame horse of a character (in my opinion of course). She was interesting at the start of the show and then slowly I lost complete interest in her.

Hopefully the Bay storyline will take up more of the show than it looks. I think appropriation of an artist's work is an interesting topic and so little can be done about it if it falls within fair use...making money off it is where it starts looking less grey. Either way, way more interesting than a fundraiser and Regina drama.
I agree. I agree. I AGREE. I agree with every single word.

I'm beginning to feel that the only way the writers can "redeem" Daphne's character (if you can call it that) is to go with her being MORE selfish than she already is. At this point, selfish is truly the only thing I will ever believe about that character.

Selfish is the only thing that rings true to me, when I think of Daphne.

This whole idea of starting a sign language school for the Deaf in Mexico does NOT redeem Daphne in my eyes. Instead, it makes her more of a hypocrite.

The writers truly need to allow Daphne to own her selfishness, if they ever want me to root for her again. I could probably get behind Daphne as an anti-hero.

I will never be able to get behind Daphne as a hero.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:43 AM
Dedicated Fan

If they turned her slowly and with the help of another person, maybe they could redeem her that way (think Nathan in OTH). But Mingo is definitely not the person to do it. She would need someone to hold her accountable and honestly, they would need to give her a good excuse for acting the way she does.

She doesn't have an excuse right now. She's just entitled. If she's so "my deafness is not a disability", then she can't use it as an excuse for being angry. Angelo had an excuse for why he left (granted it wasn't fantastic), but it was enough that she should have seen his side so she can't use that as an excuse. All her other problems? Of her own making so she can't use that as an excuse. All of her parents have been supportive of her. Toby and Bay have been supportive of her. She has no excuse for acting the way she does except she's an entitled spoiled brat. So I think if the writers come up with some real and believable trauma, then maybe someone can turn her around and be redeemable in a good way.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:44 AM
Dedicated Fan

Huh it double posted me. Sorry.

Last edited by Kassiek; 10-05-2015 at 05:45 AM Reason: Double Post
Old 10-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:

I'm looking forward to Bay's storyline. It's funny. I just started an internship and I had to make posters for a retreat in Paris for summer 2016 and it can be very complicated when it comes to art and what is allowed/not allowed. Whether you can alter an artist's work and if you have to give credit. There's creative commons, but I think the difference is that there are people who knowingly post their photos/drawings to websites whereas Bay hasn't. At least, not to my knowledge.

But it is an interesting topic. Sometimes I even wonder about the legalities of fanfiction and what is okay and what isn't. Not to get too OT, but some authors (Anne Rice) will not give permission for people to write fanfiction based off of her works.

It's not the same, but writing IMO is a form of art.

I do wonder how crude exactly this person is being with Bay's art. But I can see Bay being very upset, especially as her art as always been intended towards empowerment and not anything sexual if that is what this person is doing.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Dedicated Fan

"Profound bond about changing people's lives." I can't believe Mingo thinks Quinn and Daphne have that. I don't think Daphne could have a profound bond with anyone! :/

I'm glad the Bay t-shirt storyline was interesting, but I really don't need to hear about the Emmett movie again. I still think it was in bad taste and wrong. It would be like me writing a book about my friends' worst moment and then being surprised that it was an invasion of their privacy. I am glad that Bay is trying to be an adult and respectful. It was funny that Emmett awkwardly asked about Travis. I definitely think he got an answer he didn't want. And then poor Travis. He's being all sweet and wonderful and then boom...friendzoned. And not just friendzoned...best friendzoned. The pain and heartache. But I'm glad they aren't just having him profess his love to her and her accepting.

Overall, okay episode. Lily and Toby were a bit annoying but I can see how Toby would have trouble trusting her. Also, I lived in London off and on for years and had friends who married English men. It's really hard to get a visa and stay even if you are in a relationship or married! I know married people that were separated for years waiting for immigration. Not to mention that Toby is not a skilled worker, so unless Lily can make the minimum amount of money to sponsor him, it will be really difficult. I'm also not sure how it works with her being pregnant and taking leave. Seems like it's not realistic and just a way to not have a baby with down syndrome on the show (which I still am sure they are not going to do). And once again, all of John's character development went by the wayside. :/ And Regina...seriously "But Will's fine." Do you not get how much you endangered that little boy? It's annoying how she trivializes and justifies everything when she's so clearly wrong.

Those are all my opinions on the episode tonight! I look forward to hearing the thoughts of you guys!

Old 10-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

What a filler episode this was. Is anyone else growing so tired of Daphne and her bs? I sure am. I haven't invested in her and Mingo because 1. Her romances never last! 2. She obviously has feelings for Quinn and is in denial about it. Sick to death of Daphne and her hero complex, she is not a hero nor do I appreciate her trying to act like one. She's one of the most selfish character's on this show, just let her be true to who she is instead of acting like who she's not.

I'm also growing tired of Bay staying at home, doing pretty much nothing. I did think it was really uncool how they took Axe girl away from her. Now she seems to be doing something, I'm up for anything that gets her out of this funk she's in and out from under her parent's thumb she's placed herself in. I do appreciate how Emmett asked Bay's permission regarding his movie and how he was fishing for information on Travis and Bay. Travis on the other hand obviously likes Bay and got friend zoned in tonight's episode, I knew she didn't like him that way.

Lily and Toby, I wish I cared enough about how Lizzy is blowing this down syndrome baby story line up into so much more than it is. NEXT..

Regina's naivety in regards to Eric's situation is tiresome. She has a good man and she's putting him and his son in danger.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:40 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
"Profound bond about changing people's lives." I can't believe Mingo thinks Quinn and Daphne have that. I don't think Daphne could have a profound bond with anyone! :/
I agree. Daphne and Quinn don't have a profound bond. At best, perhaps they had a profound moment, when they helped Patty (was that her name?). But Daphne is far too self-centered to have a profound bond with anyone.

But I can understand Mingo feeling insecure that way. Daphne makes everything with which she's involved out to be so important and monumental.

It reminds me of Bay's conversation with Noah in Season 2:
BAY: She just, like, jumped down my throat, saying no one asked me to speak for the deaf community. All I did was answer a question. It's like she's gone from student-body leader to Kim Jong-Daphne. What?

NOAH: Deaf people always have hearing people speaking for them.

BAY: I wasn't trying to speak for anybody. I was just answering a question.

NOAH: All I'm saying is that I see why Daphne was upset.
That's Daphne, student-body leader to supreme leader of the people in .01 seconds flat. At least, that's Daphne in Daphne's mind.

I'm not sure if Daphne's character could be any more obnoxious than she is right now.

Did you all notice how quickly Daphne volunteered to take a semester off school? She no more wants to be a doctor than the man on the moon.

At the moment, it appears Daphne wants to build schools. She could have done that, with a felony conviction. There's no reason why Bay had to take the fall for Daphne. Bay will probably never regret it, but I wish that she would. I regret it for Bay. I suppose the path that Bay is on now IS better for her, than the one she would have had in LA with Emmett, but I still hate that the conviction will always be hanging over her head.

Quote:
I'm glad the Bay t-shirt storyline was interesting, but I really don't need to hear about the Emmett movie again. I still think it was in bad taste and wrong. It would be like me writing a book about my friends' worst moment and then being surprised that it was an invasion of their privacy. I am glad that Bay is trying to be an adult and respectful.
I don't think it's the same as Emmett writing a book about his friend's worst moment. To me, once Bay explained to Emmett all of the reasons why Tank felt that Bay had given him consent, Emmett felt hurt.

To me, it's like writing a book about how your best friend hurt you. I don't see it as an invasion of privacy at all. That scene that we saw, with the two characters on the beach, was about a man feeling as though his girlfriend betrayed him, because he had betrayed her. That's Emmett's story.

Quote:
It was funny that Emmett awkwardly asked about Travis. I definitely think he got an answer he didn't want.
While I would not call it funny, I did like that part. It shows Emmett still cares about Bay. Of course, he would. That kind of love never dies. But it is nice to see that the writers recognize that.

I love how sneaky Emmett was in the way that he asked about Travis. It is cute to see how much he still cares. I don't think Emmett begrudges Bay her friendship with Travis, but I do think he is sad that her life is moving on without him. Life is full of those kinds of choices, and Emmett made his choice. There is no way for ANYONE to have it all, ever. Emmett's choice cost him Bay, and he needs to accept that. Emmett looked sad when Bay told him how close she had grown to Travis. I'm not sure if I would go so far as to say that Emmett got an answer that he didn't want, but I would say that he got an answer that makes him sad.

Quote:
And then poor Travis. He's being all sweet and wonderful and then boom...friendzoned. And not just friendzoned...best friendzoned. The pain and heartache. But I'm glad they aren't just having him profess his love to her and her accepting.
I don't like Travis yet. I see him as selfish at the moment.

Travis is selfish "for" Bay, instead of against her, which is nice. But Travis is still being selfish. If he makes the transition to selfless love, then that could be nice to see. It would be a definite sign of Travis's maturation, if he is able to do that in the future.

Quote:
Overall, okay episode. Lily and Toby were a bit annoying but I can see how Toby would have trouble trusting her. Also, I lived in London off and on for years and had friends who married English men. It's really hard to get a visa and stay even if you are in a relationship or married! I know married people that were separated for years waiting for immigration. Not to mention that Toby is not a skilled worker, so unless Lily can make the minimum amount of money to sponsor him, it will be really difficult. I'm also not sure how it works with her being pregnant and taking leave. Seems like it's not realistic and just a way to not have a baby with down syndrome on the show (which I still am sure they are not going to do).
I'm shocked at how little I care about Toby and what happens to him. I wish good things for Toby, in the way that I wish good things for all people. But I really do not care about him at all. I liked Toby when he had a strong connection to Bay in Season 1. I've always liked watching Toby's friendship with Emmett, too.

But now, Toby feels like somebody that I used to know.

Quote:
And once again, all of John's character development went by the wayside. :/
At least now, John listens to Kathryn more readily than he once did. And he is more open to Regina.

That seems to be the only true character development that has stuck with John. On other things, John appears to make progress, but there is very little lasting change.

Quote:
And Regina...seriously "But Will's fine." Do you not get how much you endangered that little boy? It's annoying how she trivializes and justifies everything when she's so clearly wrong.
True. If I was Eric, I'd take Will and leave so fast that it would make Regina's head spin.

What do you believe Eric will do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
What a filler episode this was. Is anyone else growing so tired of Daphne and her bs? I sure am. I haven't invested in her and Mingo because 1. Her romances never last! 2. She obviously has feelings for Quinn and is in denial about it. Sick to death of Daphne and her hero complex, she is not a hero nor do I appreciate her trying to act like one. She's one of the most selfish character's on this show, just let her be true to who she is instead of acting like who she's not.
I agree completely. It would be so refreshing to see Daphne just accept herself. It's difficult to watch a character with such delusions about herself.

Quote:
I'm also growing tired of Bay staying at home, doing pretty much nothing. I did think it was really uncool how they took Axe girl away from her. Now she seems to be doing something, I'm up for anything that gets her out of this funk she's in and out from under her parent's thumb she's placed herself in. I do appreciate how Emmett asked Bay's permission regarding his movie and how he was fishing for information on Travis and Bay. Travis on the other hand obviously likes Bay and got friend zoned in tonight's episode, I knew she didn't like him that way.
I like the glimpse at all of the Post-It notes, as to how Bay is defining herself. I noticed these:

victim, fierce, half-sister, Frida-Phile, Carlton Forever, Vasquez, switcher, Democrat, hair, life, bad athlete, worse singer, Puerto Rican, lucky, Kennish, sister, ****

Quote:
Lily and Toby, I wish I cared enough about how Lizzy is blowing this down syndrome baby story line up into so much more than it is. NEXT..
Yeah. I am interested in children with Down syndrome, and I could enjoy getting to know Toby's child, but I am not interested in Toby anymore. I feel little connection to his character, at the moment. I feel no connection to Lily.

Quote:
Regina's naivety in regards to Eric's situation is tiresome. She has a good man and she's putting him and his son in danger.
Yeah. I am not positive that Eric is a good man yet. But I really don't care one way or another. I don't care about Regina anymore.

It's sad.

Last edited by ollibear; 10-06-2015 at 05:23 AM
Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

What will Eric do? That's a good question but based on his past behavior in life, probably just up and leave with Will one night. Then a few episodes later, Will will have run away and will show up on Regina's doorstep or something ridiculous like that. LOL. I can just see it now.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:07 PM
New Fan

I agree with all of you who didn't like the "heroic Daphne" storyline. I'm annoyed with all of her insta-miracles: Ta-Dah! Daphne teaches a Deaf girl who's never signed before to sign her first word! Ta-Dah! in the blink of an eye, Daphne raises money for a dozen Deaf people in Mexico to learn to sign! Gosh, where would they all be if Daphne hadn't thought to save them and change their lives?? And everything she does just turns out to be so easy and takes so little effort on her part, and it's always "AMAZING"!

Also, Mingo seems completely disingenuous. Whatever Daphne does, whatever she suggests, he's all ra-ra and on board immediately, signing that it's "great" and "amazing". Yet at the beginning of the season, he seemed like a superficial cocky guy who didn't give much thought to anything besides partying. Theoretically, I could buy that there was more depth to him than met the eye, but this script or his acting haven't convinced me. He still seems like the soap opera-type actor whose demeanor doesn't match the words coming out of his mouth.

Anyway, it's true, Daphne's romances are always very quick to begin and very half-baked before the guy suddenly disappears. It's hard to be invested in any of them, especially because none of the guys currently in her life have any idea about the real Daphne, who is a lot darker and more complicated than this sunny do-gooder persona would have you believe. She's the girl who spiralled out of control when Angelo died, she's the girl who could harbor anger and resentment at Regina for months, she's the girl who let Bay take the fall for her without ever fully acknowledging what that meant. And all these potential love interests in her life - Mingo, Quinn, the interpreter Josh - have no idea about that side of her. All they ever saw was the upbeat Daphne who wanted to be a doctor and fight for Deaf rights and save the world. I wonder how many would stick around if they saw the real her... now that would be an interesting story, and a relationship I'd like to see explored! Somebody with some maturity and a darkness of his own who could help her understand herself and maybe grow...

Anybody know who could be a person like that for Daphne? Out of any of the guys we've seen her paired with, or any other characters on the show?