Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-02-2014, 05:10 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucresiare (View Post)
I was even surprised that J and K didn't offer to pay for university even before Bay mentioned it. It is part of their responsibilities.
Ahhh...I disagree here. I think Regina was right in this respect and Bay was wrong and entitled. My parents could have paid for my education flat out, but they didn't and wouldn't. They set aside a little money to help me, but I had to take care of the bulk of my education with scholarships (all tuition, book, and some living expenses). It was great for me and really made me appreciate what I was getting. And it helped me to figure out how to pay for my grad degrees. It is never a parent's responsibility. You are 18 and an adult by law in the US.

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiek (View Post)
Ahhh...I disagree here. I think Regina was right in this respect and Bay was wrong and entitled. My parents could have paid for my education flat out, but they didn't and wouldn't. They set aside a little money to help me, but I had to take care of the bulk of my education with scholarships (all tuition, book, and some living expenses). It was great for me and really made me appreciate what I was getting. And it helped me to figure out how to pay for my grad degrees. It is never a parent's responsibility. You are 18 and an adult by law in the US.
Maybe it's a question of cultural differences, but in my country, parents are expected to pay for the education of their children. We also are 'adults' at 18 by law, so it is not a question of law, it is more a questin of morality. Students whose parents' income is below a certain threshold are given a bursary to pay their studies and live (or rather survive). However, things are probably easier in my country because university costs few hundreds euros a year

Your parents didn't pay for your uni, but they probably didn't pay either for your siblings (if you have siblings) ? Here in the show, it is a very different situation. J and K would pay for Bay's studies (and for Toby's if he wanted to) but not for Daphnee ? This would be totally unfair. Bay is fair. She sees that if their parents pay for her, there is no reason that they wouldn't pay for their other daughter. And knowing J and K ideas, it would have been credible if they went to see Daphnee and told her they will pay for her university because she is their daughter.

Even Regina admitted at the end that she was afraid that J and K could offer to Daphne something she couldn't. I also think she's jealous of their wealth.

Last edited by Lucresiare; 07-02-2014 at 08:50 AM
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Elite Fan

I think the argument can be made that they are both Latina. Daphne's more culturally Latina, but technically by blood Bay is also Latina even though she doesn't identify that way or hasn't embraced it as much.

As far as Bay being entitled, I don't know if I would say she is. She's aware she has a college fund and that's been made aware to her by John and Kathryn. They expect her to know they are paying for college. It's really how your parents raise you. If they are leading her to believe they have always intended to pay for her education, then that's what she is going to believe. And as such she believes they would want to pay for Daphne. And she was right in that they do want to.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Okay, was it just me or did other people lose the timeline between Cameron's girlfriends? I know Debbie was after Olivia...but man, that guy moves fast! I loved the budding new relationship for Melody and Bay! And I love the idea of a baby brother for Emmett!
Cameron probably started dating Debbie in May or June of 2013. She was his "new" girlfriend in early July last summer.

The wedding took place in late 2013 or early 2014. Monday night, Bay told Daphne that graduation is just a few months away, so I am guessing in their timeline that it is somewhere between November 2013 and February 2014.

Yeah, Cameron moves fast. But personally, I am thrilled that both Bay and Emmett come from fertile parents. I REALLY want to see Bay and Emmett's baby on this show one day. I hope we do!

Quote:
Regina pissed me off a little in this episode, though.
I like what Regina was able to admit to Daphne at the end: The whole reason Regina was pulling for Daphne to go the Latina scholarship route IS because she's scared that if J & K pay for Daphne's education, then Daphne might belong more to them than to her. She wanted to connect Daphne to her culture, because she wanted to hold onto her. That's not healthy, and I am proud of Regina for owning up to it. She'll get there.

Maybe if Regina can ever stop trying to "own" Daphne, she can open her heart more to Bay.

Quote:
There are different philosophies of parenting, and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I don't see paying for a child's college education as something that would cause them to become entitled, though, no matter what.

When parents die, presumably, they leave all of their wealth to their offspring. So what is the point of holding onto it so tightly in the here and now, if it can benefit their children and make their lives easier?

I'm a parent. The focus of my responsibility is 1) to make my child's life easier AND 2) to not make my child's life so easy that I make her weak. It's a tight rope, but someone has to walk it. Personally, I love it! I love being there for her. I would always put her before me (because I love her so much that IS putting myself first), but I do realize that if I give her everything, she will not be prepared. So I stumble along the best that I can to make things just right, because really, there is nothing more important to me than that.

Last edited by ollibear; 07-02-2014 at 01:38 PM
Old 07-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
But personally, I am thrilled that both Bay and Emmett come from fertile parents. I REALLY want to see Bay and Emmett's baby on this show one day. I hope we do!
Yes! Yes! Of course I'm hoping it'll be later on in the future, but 100% yes! Like I said before the storyline of wondering if your child would be deaf or not would be amazing! And they can also get into the CODA aspect! Oh that would be so exciting. Although, is Debbie hearing? I can't remember that...if so, they could get into that with their storyline.

Quote:
She wanted to connect Daphne to her culture, because she wanted to hold onto her. That's not healthy, and I am proud of Regina for owning up to it. She'll get there.

Maybe if Regina can ever stop trying to "own" Daphne, she can open her heart more to Bay.
Not only that, if she tries to hold on too tight, Daphne may begin to resent her and feel like she never got to know her biological parents. That of course is hypothetical and with Daphne's personality I feel like it could go either way (she's a little harder to predict than Bay for me).

Quote:
There are different philosophies of parenting, and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I don't see paying for a child's college education as something that would cause them to become entitled, though, no matter what.

When parents die, presumably, they leave all of their wealth to their offspring. So what is the point of holding onto it so tightly in the here and now, if it can benefit their children and make their lives easier?

I'm a parent. The focus of my responsibility is 1) to make my child's life easier AND 2) to not make my child's life so easy that I make her weak. It's a tight rope, but someone has to walk it. Personally, I love it! I love being there for her. I would always put her before me (because I love her so much that IS putting myself first), but I do realize that if I give her everything, she will not be prepared. So I stumble along the best that I can to make things just right, because really, there is nothing more important to me than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucresiare (View Post)
Maybe it's a question of cultural differences, but in my country, parents are expected to pay for the education of their children. We also are 'adults' at 18 by law, so it is not a question of law, it is more a questin of morality. Students whose parents' income is below a certain threshold are given a bursary to pay their studies and live (or rather survive). However, things are probably easier in my country because university costs few hundreds euros a year

Your parents didn't pay for your uni, but they probably didn't pay either for your siblings (if you have siblings) ? Here in the show, it is a very different situation. J and K would pay for Bay's studies (and for Toby's if he wanted to) but not for Daphnee ? This would be totally unfair. Bay is fair. She sees that if their parents pay for her, there is no reason that they wouldn't pay for their other daughter. And knowing J and K ideas, it would have been credible if they went to see Daphnee and told her they will pay for her university because she is their daughter.

Even Regina admitted at the end that she was afraid that J and K could offer to Daphne something she couldn't. I also think she's jealous of their wealth.
I'm not saying them paying it all is right or wrong...maybe I came on a little strong in my opinion. I agree as Olliebear points out, it's a fine line and I think it has to be tailored to each child. In fact, Lucresiare, I do have an older sister and my parents paid for all of her uni without scholarships. She was also allowed to go out of state (more expensive). I on the other hand was not. That may sound unfair, but really it wasn't. Not to speak poorly of my sister, but she's just not the type to really take care of herself and take initiative and leadership. My parents knew she couldn't get a scholarship and knew she would do better being farther way, but near extended family (mostly to try to have her gain life skills...kinda backfired, she got married right away and still can't cook). Me on the other hand, I was told that I could get scholarships and I needed to stay in state or I would get no help (I had great grades and I'm a little too self-reliant...that being said, they didn't know I would be able to talk my scholarship people into paying for me to study abroad for 4 months...lol). But because of how I was raised, I would look at the show and see Bay as being like my sister and Daphne like me. And thus they would need two different parenting approaches.

But I was happy when Daphne did say that she would still try to get scholarships and such. She's a stronger more independent character than Bay in many ways. I think it would have ruined her character a little for me if they had just had go along with having her school paid for.

I guess we could go on and on about where Regina was wrong at the start of the episode and how she had ulterior motives, but I still will think that she always does want what's best for Daphne. Of course that's sans the pushing her into Latina scholarship part...that was painful, awkward, and all about her not her daughter.

Watching: Longmire Season 4...YES!
Old 07-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
But I was happy when Daphne did say that she would still try to get scholarships and such. She's a stronger more independent character than Bay in many ways. I think it would have ruined her character a little for me if they had just had go along with having her school paid for.
I find Daphne a bit too tough. Bay is softer and I think it is better for happiness and for forming healthy relationships. Bay has been properly nurtured by J and K, while Daphne had to cope with an alcoholic mother and no father. Not a very good start compared to Bay. I find Bay soft and strong. She has personality but she doesn't count only on herself all the time. Daphne tends to do that and it's not healthy. I don't think she's a happy person. She needs to learn to trust and rely on other people.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

It was a good episode but I just didnt get that invested in it. I don't like Travis and Mary Beth at all, they just feel awkward to me as a couple, like they dont know each other all that well.

I dont really think it was right for Daphne to try to get a scholarship. That's just my opinion. I don't want to get into an argument about it or anything I just think that Daphne didn't need nor deserve a scholarship....

and poor Emmett. He just had crap piled on top of crap doesnt he?
Old 11-18-2016, 09:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
It was a good episode but I just didnt get that invested in it. I don't like Travis and Mary Beth at all, they just feel awkward to me as a couple, like they dont know each other all that well. I dont really think it was right for Daphne to try to get a scholarship. That's just my opinion. I don't want to get into an argument about it or anything I just think that Daphne didn't need nor deserve a scholarship.... and poor Emmett. He just had crap piled on top of crap doesnt he?
with Emmett yeah he does
Old 04-09-2017, 06:24 PM
Master Fan

This episode will always be one of my favorites.

In Oh, Future!, Bay might have made a mistake or two in her relationship with Emmett, but even so, Bay & Emmett were back together and happy for one brief shining moment.

It reminds me of the lyrics to Camelot.
Each evening, from December to December,
Before you drift to sleep upon your cot,
Think back on all the tales that you remember
Of Camelot.
Ask ev’ry person if he’s heard the story,
And tell it strong and clear if he has not,
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.
Camelot! Camelot!
Now say it out with pride and joy!
Yes, Camelot, my boy!
Where once it never rained till after sundown,
By eight a.m. the morning fog had flown…
Don’t let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment that was known
As Camelot.