Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanamuchacha020 (View Post)
I do have to point out something.. Bay wanted to go upstairs and hook up with a random guy and it have it mean nothing yet she can't forgive a one night stand Emmett had? Especially with a girl that meant nothing to him. Hypocritical.
that's not at all the same thing. bay is single, and emmett wasn't.

anyway, the premiere was okay. i like campbell and sharee so far. tank seemed fun too.

angelo is obviously about to get screwed over.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Elite Fan

I thought it was a decent premiere.

Hoping it picks up a bit next week. I enjoyed the last scene with the siblings and the Toby/Daphne scenes.

Carlton looks rough as hell this year. Don't know how I feel about that.

Glad they are exploring a bit of depression/therapy with one character.

Hopefully Daphne and John will be able to get back on track.

More to come later.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

Is there some rule that Emmett can only be in 1.5 scenes in an episode? I mean, seriously! It's ludicrous at this point. He was on in the beginning with Bay and walking up to the new Carlton, made a cameo in the classroom scene with the fight, and then . . . nothing.

Every single one of the the guest characters were on may more than him, and while some of them I find intriguing, all I kept asking myself is "Where's Emmett?" I'm not here for the guest characters .

I liked Bay getting back into her art after the summer of doing nothing but running behind Ty. Tank was a walking stereotype at the beginning, but was better in the last scene. Hope that's where they keep him. Supportive friend to Bay and nothing more.

I was almost offended by the caricature that was Sharee in this first episode. She was the living embodiment of the offensive stereotype of "angry black girl." They really should ease up on that in her future appearances. I guess she is the Natalie to Daphne's Bay from Season 2 except the hearing and deaf roles are reversed. I guess they will be friends by the end as well.

Did Daphne expect John to just be okay with what she did? She put his career and reputation on the line with her actions. She has to learn that she just can't do whatever she wants and for everyone to be okay with because it's her and she's so special.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Addicted Fan

i liked seeing bay have a nice scene with melody. they even hugged.

crazy considering everything in 1b.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

At last someone was there asking Toby of his feelings...hasn't really happened since 1C
and the end scene with Bay, Toby and Daphne was great...more of that please
hell all Toby scenes were great.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneH (View Post)
i liked seeing bay have a nice scene with melody. they even hugged.

crazy considering everything in 1b.
I know. I really enjoyed their scene, too.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Loyal Fan

In general, I liked this episode. There were a few things that they could have handled differently (Sharee and the other new Carlton kids come to mind), but all in all it turned out better than I'd anticipated.

Not enough Emmett though considering they're back in school. I'd much rather have him get some screen time rather than Angelo who's plot (so far) seems predictable and pointless.

I like the four of the six new characters we've met so far, particularly Tank and Renzo. And I love that MB made an appearance and that she seems more content when compared to the summer.

Toby's stuff was excellent, and I'm ecstatic that they're focusing on his relationship with Daphne.

I like what they're exploring with Kathryn, and I'm interested in how things will turn out for her now that she'll be doing some soul-searching and self prioritizing.

What did everyone else think?

No matter how the wind howls, the mountain cannot bow to it -The Emperor from Mulan

Last edited by EyesOnFire; 01-14-2014 at 01:29 PM
Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Loved the Toby/Daphne scenes it was nice seeing them connect they are brother and sister so it was great watching them acting more like it.

I felt for Bay I can tell she is still hurting so much over Ty I get why he did what he did, but he doesn't see that he shattered her self confidence.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

Great episode! my favorite part was Toby/Daphne and the end especially with the three siblings.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Part-Time Fan

I have mixed feelings about this opening episode.

In parts it felt as though the they were piling on the stereotypes: Sharee the Angry Black Girl, new kids at school, mostly troublesome, largely POC, Renzo outrageously camp. Let's hope they can contain that stereotyping a little. At its best, this show demonstrates complexity very well indeed, and I hope it continues to do so.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the new characters though. I think they all have a lot of promise. I like RJ Mitte, and whilst I was puzzled initially about casting an actor with CP as a character who uses a wheelchair because of a spinal injury, I think it'll work well, and really, thank heavens for this show continuing with its casting priorities, and not giving the part to some random non-disabled actor. Campbell seems charming and funny. Sandra Bernhard's art prof, whose name escapes me for now, is also promising.

I think that Tank has a lot of potential too, after a bit of a stereotypical frat boy start (I say this as though I know anything about frat boys, but actually, I think they might be a uniquely US cultural thing). I hope he and Bay will become close, whether romantically or platonically. And Alec Mapa IS outrageously camp as Renzo, but deliciously good fun. I think he might draw Kathryn out of herself, and will certainly be more help than the psychiatrist was.

I was really peeved about the fact that Emmett appeared so very briefly, but I hope there is much, much more to come for him this season, both in and out of Carlton. I don't want to sound like a stuck record (here goes anyway), but Sean Berdy is wasted on the snippets he has been given of late, whatever magic he works with them.

For me, as for others, what stood out was the sibling interaction. I hope for far more of that. The last scene in the car was an adorably lighthearted way to round off an episode which had its fair share of angst.

I am really looking forward to seeing how the girls change this year, and how they are shaped by their new experiences. Roll on next Monday!
Old 07-21-2016, 11:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

posting this here, where i meant to post it.

I felt like I had missed something. Toby and Nikki got married in secret and then suddenly this episode everyone already knows they are married? It was strange.

I did like this episode though, it felt fresh and new compared to last season. Lots of new storylines set up.

I like Jorge but is he really going to be a new love interest for Daphne? She dates the most inappropriate people. lol. The actor from breaking bad was cool to see!

I don't love Mary Beth so I wasn't too thrilled to see her.

It was hard to see Bay so upset and I wish she knew the truth about what really happened. So many new characters this episode though!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:17 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I felt like I had missed something. Toby and Nikki got married in secret and then suddenly this episode everyone already knows they are married? It was strange.
The "Switched at Birth" writers are notorious for skipping over the scenes that fans really want to see. They skip over the scenes that will have huge emotional payoff. It's as if the writers do not trust the actors to make those scenes believable. So instead, they give viewers a bunch of filler scenes, and all of the meaningful stuff takes place off-screen.

I trust the actors, though. I wish the writers would give the actors more substantive scenes.

In Season 1, I wanted to see the moment Toby found out that Emmett and Simone had slept together. In Season 3, I wanted to see the moment Emmett found out that Bay did not get into Pratt. In Season 4, I want to see what BOTH Bay and Emmett did in the immediate moments after they parted ways on that beach. Did Bay go back to Emmett's dorm room to get her stuff? Did she go straight to the airport? Did Emmett run straight to Skye?

Show me THOSE three-dimensional, stimulating, thought-provoking scenes. Don't cop out, writers! Don't avoid the deepest, most significant moments in our characters' lives.

It's so frustrating to rarely receive that payoff on this show. I invest so much of my heart and soul and time, and the writers disappoint me. I want more meaning. I'm frustrated by too many shallow and superfluous moments.

This TV series had so much meaning in Season 1A and 1B. Where did that all go?
Old 07-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:

I did like this episode though, it felt fresh and new compared to last season. Lots of new storylines set up.

I like Jorge but is he really going to be a new love interest for Daphne? She dates the most inappropriate people. lol. The actor from breaking bad was cool to see!

It was hard to see Bay so upset and I wish she knew the truth about what really happened. So many new characters this episode though!
No its okay

and I agree with you with Mary Beth I wasnt too fond of her either
Old 07-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:

No its okay

Old 07-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AnastasiaGrey~ (View Post)
No its okay

Mary Beth seems whiny to me. Does she seem that way to other people?