Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Supreme Fan

IMO, it seems like the only reason people are coming down on Daphne is that it interferes with the whole E/B dynamic. If she had defended a different friend regarding a whole different relationship, then they wouldn't care. Melody caught a bunch of hell from people because she dared to say as a Mom she didn't want E/B together ... at first. She changed her mind, so now she's left alone. Kathryn mentioned that Bay felt deeply for Ty and said that to Emmett, who took it hard. She was villainized cause it wasn't her place to bring something up, despite her point was that Emmett made Bay happy - which is what she wanted to convey. If Toby tells Bay that she shouldn't take Emmett back, he'll probably be next on the firing line for something not his business. Or, Kathryn/Regina might advise Bay not to take back a cheater. Then what? That's sound advice any mother might want to give a teenager - other boys out there, etc. Yet I have no doubt that if even one of them offers up that advice, they will be blasted for it.

And that's just sad.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 09-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
IMO, it seems like the only reason people are coming down on Daphne is that it interferes with the whole E/B dynamic. If she had defended a different friend regarding a whole different relationship, then they wouldn't care. Melody caught a bunch of hell from people because she dared to say as a Mom she didn't want E/B together ... at first. She changed her mind, so now she's left alone. Kathryn mentioned that Bay felt deeply for Ty and said that to Emmett, who took it hard. She was villainized cause it wasn't her place to bring something up, despite her point was that Emmett made Bay happy - which is what she wanted to convey. If Toby tells Bay that she shouldn't take Emmett back, he'll probably be next on the firing line for something not his business. Or, Kathryn/Regina might advise Bay not to take back a cheater. Then what? That's sound advice any mother might want to give a teenager - other boys out there, etc. Yet I have no doubt that if even one of them offers up that advice, they will be blasted for it.

And that's just sad.
Speaking only for myself, this couldn't be farther from the truth. You seem to want to invalidate and trivialize any criticism of Daphne by saying that it's only the Bay/Emmett fans hating on anyone who gets in their way. Not everyone who is criticizing her is a Bay/Emmett fan. I've seen people defending her who are Bay/Emmett fans, so I don't think it's fair to generalize. If that is how you feel, fine, but please don't try to suggest that your thoughts apply to everyone. Daphne isn't perfect as she herself stated a couple of episodes ago. She isn't immune from criticism. And anytime she is criticized, it isn't the big, bad EBay fans on some mission to villianize anyone who dares come between their couple. That is silly and there is no way to even support such a theory. And compared to the criticism Bay gets for every single little thing she does or comment she makes, this current criticism of Daphne is nothing, but I'm sure some feel that the criticism of Bay is deserved .

My problem with the conversation, as I have stated several times, was that the stuff she was throwing out wasn't factually correct and that colored how she came across and I would have preferred that she had stayed out of it. Yes, I support Emmett/Bay as a couple, but that fact doesn't make my opinion any less valid as anyone else's. No one is "blasting" Daphne, merely pointing out where they feel she was wrong. Nothing wrong with that.

As for Melody/Kathryn/Regina, they're parents. So it's kind of their job to question the relationships of their children. I think the problem that a lot of people had with Melody was not that the questioned Bay/Emmett, as she had every right to do so, it was the mocking and juvenile way in which she went about it.

Last edited by KBrownie; 09-30-2012 at 02:20 PM
Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
You seem to want to invalidate and trivialize any criticism of Daphne by saying that it's only the Bay/Emmett fans hating on anyone who gets in their way. Not everyone who is criticizing her is a Bay/Emmett fan. I've seen people defending her who are Bay/Emmett fans, so I don't think it's fair to generalize.
Not necessarily. I'm not trying to invalidate/trivialize anybody ... all I'm pointing out is that those who came down hard on Melody/Kathryn/Daphne so harshly before happened to be E/B fans whose argument correlated to how much it interfered in E/B's relationship. I have friends on this board who are also E/B fans and who defend Daphne because they like her and don't get themselves wrapped up in the ongoing her business/not her business argument that nobody will win, no matter who you ship. Daphne did what she thought was best, just as it seems Bay will in tomorrow's ep. They're coming from a good place.

I'm perhaps one of 2 people who don't ship E/B that frequent this board. It did seem like a valid assessment at the time. I meant no offense, it just seemed like a trend, that's all.

I'll just say we're bound to disagree on this issue and leave it as amicably as that.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Last edited by Wes&FredFan; 09-30-2012 at 07:41 PM
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 AM
Master Fan

Quote:

And that's just sad.
For me, that's not true. I just know how I would feel if I was hoping my ex would take me back, and a friend interfered.

I loved the whole interaction between Melody and Emmett when she wanted him to break up with Bay. It added a layer to Emmett and Bay's relationship that would not have been there otherwise. And I thought it was adorable when Kathryn shared that story with Emmett. She did not overstep her bounds at all, in my opinion. It's just that Emmett was insecure because of what was going on in his homelife. I love any scene where Toby protects Bay, so awesome in my book. And if Kathryn/Regina advise Bay not to take back Emmett, that's okay, too. Everyone has a right to his or her own opinion.

I like Daphne, and I love the relationship she is building with Bay. I just do not think it was right for her to rush Bay to sort out her feelings. And if I was Emmett, it would really upset me that she did that. Daphne knows that the one thing Emmett wants right now is a chance at reconciliation. So why would she rush Bay to make up her mind about cutting him loose? It just doesn't make sense to me. Instead, she should be telling Bay to take her time and make the right decision.

Edited to add: If in this very episode, Daphne had come to Bay and said, "Bay, I do not think you should take Emmett back. What he did is too horrible to ever forgive," I would have been fine with that. That would be Daphne's opinion, and if I was Emmett, I could not fault her for expressing it. What really bothered me was that she said something to make Bay feel selfish for keeping Emmett from the future he was meant to have. If my friend did that to my ex-boyfriend, I would be really upset. To me, that is much different (and much worse) than saying, "I don't think you should take him back." To me, that is emotional manipulation, and it is uncool.

Last edited by ollibear; 10-01-2012 at 02:43 AM Reason: wanted to add more
Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Daphne did what she thought was best, just as it seems Bay will in tomorrow's ep. They're coming from a good place.
I agree, but I'm sure you'll see Bay backlash because some people will argue that since Bay had a problem with Daphne and Liam and Daphne broke up with Liam, that Bay should never ever have a say again in Daphne's relationships. I think that's unfounded. Personally, I think it would be worse if there were two people in Daphne's life (Bay and Emmett) who knew about Jeff and Melody and didn't say anything and let her walk into the lion's den. Now, if Bay and/or Emmett say something and Daphne decides to pursue it anyway, then that is up to her, but I think Bay/Emmett, at least one of them assuming Emmett tells Bay, should tell Daphne.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
I agree, but I'm sure you'll see Bay backlash because some people will argue that since Bay had a problem with Daphne and Liam and Daphne broke up with Liam, that Bay should never ever have a say again in Daphne's relationships. I think that's unfounded. Personally, I think it would be worse if there were two people in Daphne's life (Bay and Emmett) who knew about Jeff and Melody and didn't say anything and let her walk into the lion's den. Now, if Bay and/or Emmett say something and Daphne decides to pursue it anyway, then that is up to her, but I think Bay/Emmett, at least one of them assuming Emmett tells Bay, should tell Daphne.
Emmett has important information that Daphne should know..However, he's not the best person to be dropping that particular bomb so I see Bay doing it. I mean, either way, Daphne is going to end up hurt in this because she really likes Jeff.. If Daphne still decides to pursue this even AFTER getting this information then that's on her. I'd appreciate someone warning me if I was about to enter the lion's den.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Elite Fan

I do think it would be best coming from Bay. I was just saying I'm sure some people will feel Bay was butting in this week similar to how people thought Daphne was butting in.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I do think it would be best coming from Bay. I was just saying I'm sure some people will feel Bay was butting in this week similar to how people thought Daphne was butting in.
Okay, if they wish to think about it like that, then Bay and Emmett say nothing and let Daphne walk into that situation with her eyes closed and she'll get even more burned. This situation with Jeff has heartache written all over it, one way or another, Daphne is going to get a lesson out of this.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Supreme Fan

Pretty much all I'm saying ... the way they get involved isn't to hassle the other person. It's cause they're looking out for each other. They've all come a long way. Emmett and Bay should tell Daphne ... cause she's headed for heartbreak if she pursues it. This has toxic and unstable written all over it. I'd want Bay and Emmett to help Daphne through this.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Pretty much all I'm saying ... the way they get involved isn't to hassle the other person. It's cause they're looking out for each other. They've all come a long way. Emmett and Bay should tell Daphne ... cause she's headed for heartbreak if she pursues it. This has toxic and unstable written all over it. I'd want Bay and Emmett to help Daphne through this.
Exactly.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:24 AM
Master Fan

On my dvr, this is the description given for this episode:

Switched at Birth Tree of Forgiveness
After getting caught trying to steal a statue, Toby gets an easy warning after his father's name is revealed; Bay gets punished for getting a traffic ticket by having to paint the church mural; Daphne and Emmett head to a motorcycle show.

I Googled it, and several other Internet sites list this description, too. Any idea why the mistake? Do you think a script change occurred?

I do like the episode as it stands more than the description above.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Supreme Fan

Whoa ... that's different all right. Wondering if that was done to facillitate the Bay/Zarra friendship and bring Toby into Nikki's world (by doing the church music thing).

I agree - like the episode as it was. Well, some parts more than others.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Elite Fan

What happened is when they cast for a part, they use a side which is a small part of the script, only a few pages at the most. But when Weiss and Co. found out they were being leaked, they decided to mess with the audience and send out fake ones. The parts are real, but they change the dialogue so you never truly know who they are casting for and the sides had Bay with Nikki actually, the same conversation she had with Toby only with Bay and art, and Bay was at the church because of a ticket, and Toby's side was meant for the cop who caught Bay and Zarra, and yes, they had Toby stealing a statue but they found out his last name was Kennish and got a warning. It wasn't a change, just a way to trick the fans. For those of us who like spoilers getting sides are annoying now because they do this.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
What happened is when they cast for a part, they use a side which is a small part of the script, only a few pages at the most. But when Weiss and Co. found out they were being leaked, they decided to mess with the audience and send out fake ones. The parts are real, but they change the dialogue so you never truly know who they are casting for and the sides had Bay with Nikki actually, the same conversation she had with Toby only with Bay and art, and Bay was at the church because of a ticket, and Toby's side was meant for the cop who caught Bay and Zarra, and yes, they had Toby stealing a statue but they found out his last name was Kennish and got a warning. It wasn't a change, just a way to trick the fans. For those of us who like spoilers getting sides are annoying now because they do this.
Yeah LW is sneaky like that.
A single text....................$1
Speaking his language...........Priceless