Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Loyal Fan

I don't understand your reaction and why you now sound like someone attacked you when this didn't happen and also I didn't say anything about this being about Emma vs. Regina or who is better or who is worse. You make it about this in your postings and I stand by my opinion that Emma was made the savior because Rumplestiltskin orchestrated it for his reasons of wanting to go to the land without magic and wanting the curse broken by someone.
If you remember season 1 Rumplestiltskin told Snow White and Prince Charming in the first episode that their unborn baby is special and that they have to send it away so it can save them and this was before the Evil Queen started to cast the curse. Then when the Evil Queen came to see Rumplestiltskin he told her about it that the baby of Snow White and Prince Charming will be the savior too because he knew if she knew about it she would want the baby and so even if he had not convinced Snow White and Prince Charming to send Emma away with the wardrobe the first time after their talk they would still do it because of the Evil Queen coming.
Emma as the savior and Emma being send away to escape the curse was orchestrated by Rumplestiltskin.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
Get back to me after Emma has committed half the atrocities Regina has.

I'm honestly still waiting for Regina to finally feel guilty for causing Emma to have such a miserable life, when she forced her parents to send her away. Or for killing Graham. Or using Kathryn to keep David and Mary Margaret apart.

So I suppose Regina casting the curse and sending black knights to kill Emma when she was a baby isn't what forced her parents to send her away?

How silly of me to forget, this is the new rebooted version of OUAT where Regina was never the villain of the story. Oh, wait. Nope. It's still the same show, and she still did all that .

This isn't about who is the villain and who is the hero of the show. At this point, who cares? We already know about Regina's crimes. But her crimes SHOULD NOT be an excuse for Emma to deliberately change the timeline, because she had to be the hero and save someone who should have remained dead in the past. The fact that her action led to saving Marian's life does not excuse the fact that what she did was wrong. If we can face Regina's mistakes and crimes, why can't we accept that even Emma is capable of making mistakes?

What is amazing is that a similar situation popped up on the first season of "CHARMED" in which Phoebe Halliwell, while time traveling to the 1970s with her sisters, considered warning her mother that the latter would be killed in another three years. First, Phoebe left a note behind, warning her mother. But in the end, she realized there would be strong consequences in changing the timeline - even if it meant saving her mother's life. So, she tore up the note before returning to the present with her sisters.

What is also amazing is that while Emma convinced Rumpelstiltskin to take a memory erasing potion so that he wouldn't change the timeline and save Neal . . . she decided to change the timeline anyway by saving Marian. I found her actions hypocritical and careless. And it also makes me wonder if she is suffering from some kind savior complex. I mean . . . think about it. When Hook said that she was the one who defeated both Peter Pan and Zelena, Emma didn't bother to deny it. Why? Even in this episode, she practically hinted that it was "her job" to give everyone a happy ending. Why on earth didn't this woman realize how stupid that sounded? Especially since she knew that the only reason she was tagged "the savior" in the first place was due to Rumpelstiltskin's manipulations regarding the original curse.

Many of you may not think that Emma has a serious problem. But I do.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:34 PM
New Fan

When Emma brought Marian back it obviously didn't change the course of the past of any of our characters theres just consequences of her being around now for them.. no different than if Snow's curse had scooped up Marian and dropped her in the present. For all we know Marian escaped the Queen's jail and was living in the Enchanted Forest and just couldn't find Robin the first time around. Maybe they were destined to run into each other again someday anyways.. maybe they're the type that were only supposed to be separated for a while. Overall though- The show is VERY loose about the changing time-ness... Can we count all the Black Knights who were experiencing life differently from one time around to the next? In many many circumstances, Black Knights are treated more like props than actual people.

Anyone with a conscience would've done what Emma did, and Regina knows that. She knows she's being selfish but lets face it, she must be sick of losing her men to this that and whatever. Emma however i agree is being dumb, but not intentionally. Hook is giving her attention- positive attention- and she doesn't know how to deal with it so she's taking whatever distraction comes along. She's blowing the "guilty about Regina's situation" out of proportion and holding on to solving that problem because she doesn't know how to be content. People with low self esteem don't know how to accept a compliment- likewise someone who's lived rough and alone and independent doesn't know how to settle down and let someone else in. Its easier to keep "working".
Old 10-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook7390 (View Post)
When Emma brought Marian back it obviously didn't change the course of the past of any of our characters theres just consequences of her being around now for them.. no different than if Snow's curse had scooped up Marian and dropped her in the present. For all we know Marian escaped the Queen's jail and was living in the Enchanted Forest and just couldn't find Robin the first time around. Maybe they were destined to run into each other again someday anyways.. maybe they're the type that were only supposed to be separated for a while. Overall though- The show is VERY loose about the changing time-ness... Can we count all the Black Knights who were experiencing life differently from one time around to the next? In many many circumstances, Black Knights are treated more like props than actual people.

Anyone with a conscience would've done what Emma did, and Regina knows that. She knows she's being selfish but lets face it, she must be sick of losing her men to this that and whatever. Emma however i agree is being dumb, but not intentionally. Hook is giving her attention- positive attention- and she doesn't know how to deal with it so she's taking whatever distraction comes along. She's blowing the "guilty about Regina's situation" out of proportion and holding on to solving that problem because she doesn't know how to be content. People with low self esteem don't know how to accept a compliment- likewise someone who's lived rough and alone and independent doesn't know how to settle down and let someone else in. Its easier to keep "working".

It's amazing. And sickening. Emma always gets an excuse for her actions. She even gets an excuse for knowingly holding on to a stolen vehicle. And none of us know if or when the consequences of her action of changing the time line will be felt.

And even if no consequences eventually happen, Emma STILL SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT. It was careless and arrogant. If Emma remains unaware of the dangers of her actions, she has NO BUSINESS being a magic practitioner. Oh wait . . . she was aware of the dangers of changing time . . . if Rumpelstiltskin had done it to save Neal. But apparently, as "the savior", she's allowed to do it.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
I think she's in her 50s.
I'm gonna assume you mean her character is supposed to be literally in her 50s.

Gin is in her 30's!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Elite Fan

Enough. This is an episode discussion thread, not an anti- or pro- character thread, and anti-threads are actually not allowed on this board to begin with. Nor is character bashing allowed here. This back and forth on Emma have gone on long enough. Discuss the episode in question, or take it somewhere else.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyDuster (View Post)
I'm gonna assume you mean her character is supposed to be literally in her 50s.

Gin is in her 30's!
No I just meant that Snow has been alive for over 50 years.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Once Upon a Time - Episode Commentary Notes

Episode: 4x01, A Tale of Two Sisters

Commentary By: Jennifer Morrison, Eddy Kitsis, & Adam Horowitz
Quote:

Jennifer Morrison:
  • Elsa was a “crucial turning point for Emma because she was the first person in Emma’s life that had to deal with many of the same issues that Emma did. It was the first time Emma had a “real friend” who she could relate to.
  • Elsa is a “pivotal part” of Emma embracing the magic within her.
  • With regard to Emma bringing Marian back from the past and it’s effect on Regina: “How can you say ‘sorry’ for not letting someone die?”
  • She had to treat Elsa’s dress as another person when rehearsing and shooting so she didn’t step on it or get in the way of it (or have it get in the way).
  • Georgina was always cold.
  • When she’s wearing sweaters and doing the intense emotional scenes, sometimes she just gets too hot (from the emotional intensity of portraying Emma in that moment), so that’s really the reason why Emma is in a tank top a couple of times this season (she specifically mentions the scene in the station where she’s showing Hook the trinkets from her childhood).
  • She always makes the magical elements of the show more real in her mind by relating them to and substituting them with something real in life.
  • As a little girl, she loved to play dress-up with her friends. She had a red “Southern belle” gown and a blue one - the red one was her favorite.
  • Emma’s magic (the way she uses it physically) is very much influenced by Elsa, so she put “Emma’s spin on Elsa’s magic” and tried to put some of Georgina’s and Elsa’s mannerisms into her own. When she’s channeling magic from a darker place (Cruella’s death was the example given), she doesn’t use Elsa’s mannerisms as inspiration, because Elsa didn’t influence her magic originating from a dark place. In those cases, her mannerisms and magic are more “raw and unformed.”
  • She and Colin love working together and have a really good time: “We have such a good time working together. It’s one of those things where it’s so rare that, um, you just have that kind of ease with a co-worker when you need to have chemistry and you then can just be with someone and be like ‘Oh, okay. We don’t have to try to fake this.’”

Eddy Kitsis:
  • Jen had to ice her hands during breaks when she was shooting the interrogation scene with the Snow Queen in the sheriff station because she had to bang the table over and over and she couldn’t fake it. Jen goes for it - she’s usually been pretty bruised up by the end of the season.
  • They wanted to parallel Anna and Elsa to Emma and Regina.
  • When Regina chooses to save Marian from the snow monster, he feels as though “Regina herself was surprised she made the right decision” because most of her life was spent making the wrong decisions.
  • When Jen and Colin are together as Emma and Hook it’s a writer favorite and a fan favorite.
  • Emma and Regina “begrudgingly sort of realize by the end of the year that [they] are friends and [they] are family.”
  • In the Sorcerer’s Hat, Rumple sees freedom and ultimate power, even though Belle should have been his happy ending. “He can’t resist the power.”

Adam Horowitz:
  • The room with Anna’s wedding dress was also Rumple’s tower, Rapunzel’s tower, Snow and Charming’s bedroom, and where Robin Hood was tortured, among other things.
  • One of the editors did the “voice” of Sven.
x
Old 02-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

99 Episodes in 99 Days
Episode 4x01 | “A Tale of Two Sisters” | #67
Written by: Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz
Directed by: Ralph Hemecker
A scared and confused Elsa finds herself in Storybrooke and, fearful of the intentions of its residents, creates a powerful snow monster for protection. With Robin Hood’s wife, Marian, back in the picture, Regina wonders if her “happily ever after” with the former thief has been completely quashed; while on their honeymoon, Mr. Gold finds an intriguing object that makes him question whether or not he should officially give Belle control over the dagger that makes him The Dark One, and Hook is dismayed to discover that Emma seems to be avoiding him while she tries to help comfort Regina after being the one responsible for bringing Marian back from the past and into Storybrooke.

Meanwhile, in Arendelle of the past, as Elsa’s sister Anna’s wedding to Kristoff nears, Anna discovers that their parents – who died on-ship during a violent storm – were heading to a mysteriousdestination in a quest that may have held the secret to containing Elsa’s out of control Ice powers. And against Elsa’s wishes, Anna wants to finish their journey to find out what they were looking for.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Absolutely loved this season opener! I love Frozen, so was excited to see how OUAT interpreted the characters. And I must say, I love how they have made the Frozen story a sort of continuation 'sequel' to the film than a rewrite of the story. Very smart and refreshing. The casting for Elsa and Anna are spot on! I don't know the actresses at all, but they make the perfect Elsa and Anna. Even the outfits are identical to the film.

Regina. Oh Regina. I felt so bad for her when Robin told her that whilst he loved her, he had to keep the vows his promised to his wife. But please Regina, don't forget what you have learnt from your past. I was shocked when she went to see Sidney and put him back in the mirror. Sidney! A blast from the past! She wanted to go back in time and prevent Emma from saving Marian and kill her. So she got Sidney to show her the moment when she captured Marian, but only to be given a visual reminder of herself as the Evil Queen and actually ended up saving Marian from the snow monster. Marian sees that perhaps she isn't so evil after all anymore. Just like that huh. I loved the scene afterwards, with Emma talking to Regina behind the door, parallel to Anna trying to talk to Elsa in Frozen, that was a neat touch. When Regina just buried her head, I just wanted to give her a big hug. It was nice of Emma to tell her she won't stop until she finds everyone's happiness, including Regina's. But then Regina just realises that the book only had happy endings for the heroes. not the villains, so she tells Sidney to find the writer of the book so she as the villain, finds her happy ending. That confused me, as wasn't it August who wrote the book?! August is now just a little boy, back as Pinocchio. It seems Regina hasn't learnt anything about how to find happiness. I hope she pulls through this without making the same mistakes again.

I love the scene with Rumple at Neal's grave, how he vowed to be the man Neal wanted him to be, why he had to lie to Belle in order to avenge his death, but then said he will switch the daggers back. His speech made me teary eyed. I love how adorable Belle was in this episode. Who's house is that that they went to their honeymoon I wonder? I LOVED their dance scene, just like Disney's Beauty & the Beast, music, dress and all.

Last edited by livstevi21; 01-19-2017 at 04:32 PM
Old 02-18-2017, 01:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the interesting and varied discussions.

I, too, enjoyed the opener, and the creative spin on the characters. Besides, it left me really curious as to where their story was heading for the rest of the season.