Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2013, 06:14 AM
Elite Fan

Every time I see the last one, it irritates the @$%* out of me. I keep telling myself that that is not a kiss, but Hook cashing in a favor he just did for Emma's dad. He's rewarded and that's over.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Loyal Fan

Can you add me please?

Emma is my favourite character, so it's about time I was added to her thread!! Although I see a lot of Neal/Hook stuff in here right now, but I'm hoping that isn't the norm because Emma is so awesome we should have lots to talk about just discussing her!

I am loving the focus on her so far this season, I hope that it keeps up as I felt the show really suffered last season from sidelining her for so long.

Lost Girl is still my favourite episode of the season, with Ariel as a close second mostly because of how JMo killed her scenes as Emma tried to deal with her emotions!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_Siobhan_Magnus (View Post)
Every time I see the last one, it irritates the @$%* out of me. I keep telling myself that that is not a kiss, but Hook cashing in a favor he just did for Emma's dad. He's rewarded and that's over.
Therein lies your problem, you refuse to accept the story that is being told on screen. You refuse and make up alternative meanings to things that are clearly stated on the show thus far. The kiss IS A KISS. Lips locked and heavy breathing ensued. Episode clearly portrayed the kiss as having affected them both profoundly.

THAT is the story told on screen. The Echo cave scene's purpose was to tell the audience the seriousness of the affect of the kiss on Hook. It wasn't lust, a fling, or mere game. It profoundly made him think love a second time around was possible - WITH Emma.

So it seems your unwillingless to just enjoy and watch the show A/E are telling is what is causing all of your angst. The fact that you have to convince yourself of a different meaning and stick to your version is what is creating acrimony on FF. Either you like the show as the story unfolds or prefer the invented one of your imagination and should reconsider why you actually watch and gain an extra hour of free time.

It might make you happier.
Happy Thanksgiving. God bless.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRoll (View Post)
Can you add me please?

Emma is my favourite character, so it's about time I was added to her thread!! Although I see a lot of Neal/Hook stuff in here right now, but I'm hoping that isn't the norm because Emma is so awesome we should have lots to talk about just discussing her!

I am loving the focus on her so far this season, I hope that it keeps up as I felt the show really suffered last season from sidelining her for so long.

Lost Girl is still my favourite episode of the season, with Ariel as a close second mostly because of how JMo killed her scenes as Emma tried to deal with her emotions!
Welcome. I'm sure you'll be added soon.

She's my favorite character too. And she's so much more than the men in her life and shouldn't be reduced to talk of that alone. This is usually a neutral zone and all about Emma/JMo. Except for the past days which have been a real headache. Don't let it shy you away from posting here.

Icon by Fiona
Old 11-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Quote:
Can you add me please?
welcome to the thread

Old 11-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
Therein lies your problem, you refuse to accept the story that is being told on screen. You refuse and make up alternative meanings to things that are clearly stated on the show thus far. The kiss IS A KISS. Lips locked and heavy breathing ensued. Episode clearly portrayed the kiss as having affected them both profoundly.

THAT is the story told on screen. The Echo cave scene's purpose was to tell the audience the seriousness of the affect of the kiss on Hook. It wasn't lust, a fling, or mere game. It profoundly made him think love a second time around was possible - WITH Emma.
This is about the WHY, not the WHAT. Hook saving Chaming's life is not the only favor that he did for Emma. Back in season 2's winter finale, he intentionally lost the sword fight to her at lake Nostos, giving her the chance to win the battle without getting Cora suspicious of him; in the season finale, when he could've gone to another world alone, he turned back for her and gave her and the others a free ride to Neverland. He did ally with Cora, but Emma knew that she made him with her bad judgment of character at the Giant's treasury. She owes him too much, but she's not sure if she should repay him with her love. It doesn't feel right with the two of them being together as a couple - nonetheless, they're at the opposite sides of law. I said this in the ST thread that Hook is the typical tv bad boy with perceptible charisma and sexiness, while Emma is a "new girl in town", striving to make her corner of sky against the odds and discovering her secret connection with the place. They really don't have much in common and I can't feel any chemistry between them. It is always Hook pushing it while Emma isn't into him as much as he thinks she is.

Quote:
So it seems your unwillingless to just enjoy and watch the show A/E are telling is what is causing all of your angst. The fact that you have to convince yourself of a different meaning and stick to your version is what is creating acrimony on FF. Either you like the show as the story unfolds or prefer the invented one of your imagination and should reconsider why you actually watch and gain an extra hour of free time.

It might make you happier.
Happy Thanksgiving. God bless.
Look, you have your preference, I have mine. I dislike Hook's character in general, not only as a Swanfire shipper, but as a Rumbelle fan. Belle was innocent. What he did to her was unforgivable. Had Emma not been contemptuous and ignorant to the Dark One and his lady, she would've kept a safe distance from such a dangerous man.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Your reply once again goes to the heart of my statement. And your persistence statement of opinions as objective facts when they are clearly not.

Quote:
This is about the WHY, not the WHAT. Hook saving Chaming's life is not the only favor that he did for Emma. Back in season 2's winter finale, he intentionally lost the sword fight to her at lake Nostos, giving her the chance to win the battle without getting Cora suspicious of him; in the season finale, when he could've gone to another world alone, he turned back for her and gave her and the others a free ride to Neverland. He did ally with Cora, but Emma knew that she made him with her bad judgment of character at the Giant's treasury. She owes him too much, but she's not sure if she should repay him with her love.
A/E haven't said this in any interview nor has it been written as such in the series. Emma is portrayed as a lonely woman who's issues are ones of trust and abandonment. She's reluctant to to take a risk in a relationship is because she's afraid of being betrayed. She fell in love, once, and was betrayed (Neal). That has been made clear in Tallahassee (2.06) and countless conversations with Snow/MM. That's not my opinion, but the story being told weekly. So I'm not sure where you are getting where Emma has shown that she's "not sure if she should repay him with her love". Which episode and which conversation?

Quote:
It doesn't feel right with the two of them being together as a couple - nonetheless, they're at the opposite sides of law. I said this in the ST thread that Hook is the typical tv bad boy with perceptible charisma and sexiness, while Emma is a "new girl in town", striving to make her corner of sky against the odds and discovering her secret connection with the place. They really don't have much in common and I can't feel any chemistry between them. It is always Hook pushing it while Emma isn't into him as much as he thinks she is.
A couple's chemistry is subjective and are free to like or dislike said TV couple. But can we discuss the pairings as the couple as written and as chosen by the writers/creators.

Quote:
Look, you have your preference, I have mine. I dislike Hook's character in general, not only as a Swanfire shipper, but as a Rumbelle fan. Belle was innocent. What he did to her was unforgivable. Had Emma not been contemptuous and ignorant to the Dark One and his lady, she would've kept a safe distance from such a dangerous man.
If you dislike a character in general, then one can conclude you will dislike all things Hook regardless of his story or plot lines created. You are free to do so, but does not make it factual accurate. Emma's contempt couldn't possibly be because of Mr. Gold's behavior and treatment of MM/David/townsfolks?! Are you not seeing that Rumple is one of the villians of the show. Emma ignorant? To what exactly? Please illuminate what information Emma has been "contemptuous and ignorant to the Dark One and his lady" regarding.

Secondly, it's not about preferences. As an avid reader, I enjoy the entirety of the OUAT creative and imaginative characters' spin and twist on the original stories. I enjoy the current Emma/Hook romance because as of today - that is the only romance she's currently involved in. Since this is the Emma Swan fan board, I am a fan and enjoy her successes, crisis of confidence, toughness and set backs - you know human.

At the end of the day, I want Emma to be happy and be with someone who makes her happy. So if A/E plan to have Captain Hook as Emma Swan's love interest, I want them to write such a love story and make it as beautiful, romantic, passionate and emotional as they can and have it last. All we should demand as viewers is a beautiful, creative story telling regardless who Emma ends up with.

Also as someone who is new and discovering the world of "'shipping" (which still confounds me), I follow the story as it is presented on my screen weekly. What may be unforgivable to you, may or may not be explained by the writers in an upcoming episode - it is their choice and we the audience either accept it or move on.

Personally, I enjoy discussing the characters and plot lines of the show as it happens and speculate where I believe the story is headed. But in order to engage in a fruitful manner, it is preferable if we first can agree on the canons and actual plots of the show and not the ones we invent ourselves. It may make this and other boards a friendlier and less acrimonious environment for everyone.

Last edited by CityGal; 11-29-2013 at 03:39 AM
Old 11-29-2013, 04:28 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Your reply once again goes to the heart of my statement. And your persistence statement of opinions as objective facts when they are clearly not.
This is a forum, dearie, not a billboard or a tv news website. It's all about opinions. I selectively listed some facts followed with my comments. If you want facts and nothing else, go read tv recaps on Entertainment Weekly.

Quote:
A/E haven't said this in any interview nor has it been written as such. Emma is a lonely woman who's issues are ones of trust and abandonment. She's reluctant to to take a risk in a relationship is because she's afraid of being betrayed. She fell in love, once, and was betrayed (Neal). That has been made clear in Tallahasse (2.06) and countless conversations with Snow/MM. That's not my opinion, but the story being told weekly. So I'm not sure where you are getting where Emma has shown that she's "not sure if she should repay him with her love". Which episode and which conversation?
Emma is confused. When she told Snow about that kiss, she realized that Hook had legitimate feelings for her. Should she or shouldn't she grow some feelings for him in return, that is the question. She thought she should, but with the news of Neal being alive, the situation got complicated and she was caught up in the middle. And you ask for a specific line to prove that? You've got it. "If I have to choose somebody, I choose Henry," that's the line that shows how unsure she is, because if she was sure that she should repay him with her love, she'd choose him, otherwise she'd choose Neal. The only reason she can't choose between them is that she's NOT sure yet, and that is where I was getting at.

Quote:
A couple's chemistry is subjective and are free to like or dislike said TV couple. But can we discuss the pairings as the couple as written and as chosen by the writers/creators.
Look, I can't feel any chemistry between them because I'm not convinced thereof. A couple with chemistry is able to communicate in electrifying eye contact and heartfelt body language without any need of words. When that kiss happened, it was on Hook's demand. Emma but complied as she didn't want to disappoint him. If they had any chemistry, he wouldn't have to give her a suggestive, salacious look for a kiss as Emma would surrender herself to him.

Quote:
If you dislike a character in general, then one can conclude you will dislike all things Hook regardless of his story or plot lines created. You are free to do so, but does not make it factual accurate storytelling.

Secondly, it's not about preferences. As an avid reader, I enjoy the entirety of the OUAT creative and imaginative characters' spin and twist on the original stories. I enjoy the current Emma/Hook romance because as of today - that is the only romance she's currently involved in. Since this is the Emma Swan fan board, I am a fan and enjoy her successes, crisis of confidence, toughness and set backs - you know human.
Me disliking everything in his plot line?! I didn't say that. You were twisting my words in your initial conclusion. A plot line involves multiple characters, of which some are likable to me while others are not. Just because we don't like the same character(s) doesn't mean we don't enjoy the same plot line. In Hook's plot line, he is a villain whom the audience is supposed to hate, and the more hateful he is, the more successful his characterization is. That is called LOVE TO HATE and it goes to every villain. If he was boring, nobody would bother to love or hate or love to hate him.

Quote:
At the end of the day, I want Emma to be happy and be with someone who makes her happy. So if A/E plan to have Captain Hook as Emma Swan's love interest, I want them to write such a love story and make it as beautiful, romantic, passionate and emotional as they can and have it last. All we should demand as viewers is a beautiful, creative story telling regardless who Emma ends up with.

Also as someone who is new and discovering the world of "'shipping" (which still confounds me), I follow the story as it is presented on my screen weekly. What may be unforgivable to you, may or may not be explained by the writers in an upcoming episode - it is their choice and we the audience either accept it or move on.

Personally, I enjoy discussing the characters and plot lines of the show as it happens and speculate where I believe the story is headed. But in order to engage in a fruitful manner, it is preferable if we first can agree on the canons and actual plots of the show and not the ones we invent ourselves. It may make this and other boards a friendlier and less acrimonious environment for everyone.
The producers did mention that this show is about family value, about how a family that has been torn apart is being restored. In order to honor their words, Emma should belong with Neal, for they are parents of a boy who needs his mother AND his father.

Last edited by I_Love_Siobhan_Magnus; 11-29-2013 at 09:00 AM
Old 11-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Elite Fan

This might be a family show but they don't shy away from going to some really dark places too. Adam and Eddy are also adamant about families not just being born but made as well.

Icon by Fiona
Old 11-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Emma is confused. When she told Snow about that kiss, she realized that Hook had legitimate feelings for her. Should she or shouldn't she grow some feelings for him in return, that is the question. She thought she should, but with the news of Neal being alive, the situation got complicated and she was caught up in the middle. And you ask for a specific line to prove that? You've got it. "If I have to choose somebody, I choose Henry,[/B]" that's the line that shows how unsure she is, [B]because if she was sure that she should repay him with her love, she'd choose him, otherwise she'd choose Neal. The only reason she can't choose between them is that she's NOT sure yet, and that is where I was getting at.
I took it as she's not choosing NOW! She's in the middle of the freaking jungle right now, and can they just stay focused on task. Neal just reentered her life, and Hook is a new revelation. I, nor, do most people think this will be a quick resolution in the traditional dating sense. It's action oriented which will display Emma's inner emotions.

Quote:
The producers did mention that this show is about family value, about how a family that has been torn apart is being restored. In order to honor their words, Emma should belong with Neal, for they are parents of a boy who needs his mother AND his father.
To honor their words of restored family, the Charmings and Regina will have to get along and negotiate some sort of truce between them for Henry's sake.

Secondly, Neal of course will be a part of Henry's life, but that has NO bearing on Emma's romantic pairing. As an original character and not tied to any pre-ordained partner, A/E are free to make her OTP any character they choose. All that is required is that it be entertaining and ultimately a great love story cause that is what Emma deserves.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Elite Fan

Aww. Looks like Jen got her own board.

Icon by Fiona
Old 11-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Can you add me please?

Welcome!

You've been added. Great to have new fans on this board And yes I know things are a little heated lately especially with the 'triangle' debate, but you're right - we all love Emma on this thread so feel free to post anything you like/dislike or have an opinion on to do with her character.

Guys, I think this endless Hook and Neal debate is going to go on forever! Triangles can be annoying that way And we're all making valid points and have our own opinions. I think it's great that we're all so passionate about this show - Adam and Eddy clearly know what they're doing if we're this invested!

So I want to steer the thread back to Emma if thats ok with everyone? Just so we can have some focus on her and not her love life, and possibly neutral-zone this thread for a little while again. I'm proposing that despite the many changes we've seen of Emma so far - maybe we could go back to basics and say what we enjoy about her character. Like top 5 things we love about Emma Swan?

I'll post mine now and if anyone wants to go for it after, please do!

5) Her lie-detecting skills - I know it's not technically a real superpower. And it's not completely 100% all the time, but I still think it's pretty damn cool - and personally, I would love to have this kind of skill myself. It really has helped her out quite a bit, and gives her an edge that other people don't have.
4) Her being able to kick ass - Seriously, any female character that can throw a punch like that, is AWESOME in my book. She is a serious physical fighter, and they don't always show it a lot on the show, but I'm glad they did display some of her kick-assery in Neverland. And I still remember the fight between her and Regina in Season 1 -
3) Her issues - call them trust issues, abandoment issues, self-worth issues, or all of the above. They make her beautifully broken and it may be weird to list that as one of the things I like about her; but what I mean is that those things have all made her stronger. A fighter. A survivor. And I admire that about her character. I like that she's tough and vulnerable, and human. Her insecurites are relatable and her bravery is admirable. And her issues and experiences have made her the person she is.
2) Her mothering - She didn't believe herself to a be the motherly type at the beginning of the show. She's constantly hesitated and second-guessed herself in that right. But I think considering her past, her life, and not knowing her child that long (in comparison to if she had raised him from birth) she is doing a wonderful job. She's more loving than she knows, she's fiercely protective, and she's bonded with Henry so amazingly well. She's much better at being a mother than she thinks and I enjoy watching her trying to navigate her role as a mother.
1) Her sassy attitude - obviously a result of being a tough orphan who keeps people at arm's length. Her comebacks are great! She makes me laugh with her wit and sarcasm, and she always has something smart to say back to someone else. Really love this aspect of her character
.{Zee}.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I took it as she's not choosing NOW! She's in the middle of the freaking jungle right now, and can they just stay focused on task. Neal just reentered her life, and Hook is a new revelation. I, nor, do most people think this will be a quick resolution in the traditional dating sense. It's action oriented which will display Emma's inner emotions.
Of course she can't make a decision now. A piss contest can wait, Operation Henry can't. Actually, this love triangle thing is Pan's trick to distract Emma from the mission. She dwells on it, she loses. As the savior, she must put it on hold and focus on the important thing even if she was sure about which man to choose. Plotwise, it's a good strategy to keep both ST shippers and CS fans in anticipation. We've all gotta stay tuned to find out who the winner is.

Quote:
To honor their words of restored family, the Charmings and Regina will have to get along and negotiate some sort of truce between them for Henry's sake.
Yeah, and the best solution of that for Regina is to have her own child with Robin Hood or whomever she's to be paired with. Leave the Charmings alone, for they are not gonna be a part of her happy ending.

Quote:
Secondly, Neal of course will be a part of Henry's life, but that has NO bearing on Emma's romantic pairing. As an original character and not tied to any pre-ordained partner, A/E are free to make her OTP any character they choose. All that is required is that it be entertaining and ultimately a great love story cause that is what Emma deserves.
Emma is free to kiss a lot of frogs, but only one of them can she turn into a prince and that is not gonna be Hook. I bet it's not gonna be him. In my opinion, CS are partners by chance, whereas ST are lovers by choice. If she wanna make love, go with Hook; if she wanna make love LAST, go with Neal.

Quote:
If you dislike a character in general, then one can conclude you will dislike all things Hook regardless of his story or plot lines created. You are free to do so, but does not make it factual accurate. Emma's contempt couldn't possibly be because of Mr. Gold's behavior and treatment of MM/David/townsfolks?! Are you not seeing that Rumple is one of the villians of the show. Emma ignorant? To what exactly? Please illuminate what information Emma has been "contemptuous and ignorant to the Dark One and his lady" regarding.
You're free to overlook Emma's attitude, but you don't have to deny it. Rumple is the last person she'd like to trust. Whenever they share a scene, their talk always goes in an unfriendly manner. Only does she talk to him when she needs to, and when she does, she cuts to the chase without any exchange or pleasantries as the topic is all around three key points - "what do you want from me," "why are you doing this," and "what's your price for this." Yeah, it's all about business and nothing beyond deals and favors. The intensity in the air is so palpable as if you can cut it with a knife. I can picture the inquisitive look she gives him - eyes darkening, face glacial, guards up, gaze locked with his. That is definitely a mix of vigilance and contempt.

And when it comes to him and Belle, his personal life, there is just pure contempt. Emma never brings them up unless it is relevant to the case she's working on. Wondering whom he wanna talk to on the phone? Belle. Belle? Belle who? Oh, daddy's girlfriend. Regina is missing, is he behind it? No, that's not possible. He's too busy with Lacey these days. And who Lacey is? His old/new girlfriend. She's his girl, that's all I need to know. Hanging out with a "beast", she is no good. Whatever happens to them, I don't give a damn. If that's not ignorance, I don't know what it. What Emma doesn't know is that unlike her, a lost girl of fragile interior beneath a tough exterior, Belle is of tough interior beneath a fragile exterior. With Rumple, Belle never feels lost. She has the courage to love the man she loves, not being afraid of getting hurt. Emma, though, is not there yet.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
You're free to overlook Emma's attitude, but you don't have to deny it. Rumple is the last person she'd like to trust. Whenever they share a scene, their talk always goes in an unfriendly manner. Only does she talk to him when she needs to, and when she does, she cuts to the chase without any exchange or pleasantries as the topic is all around three key points - "what do you want from me," "why are you doing this," and "what's your price for this." Yeah, it's all about business and nothing beyond deals and favors. The intensity in the air is so palpable as if you can cut it with a knife. I can picture the inquisitive look she gives him - eyes darkening, face glacial, guards up, gaze locked with his. That is definitely a mix of vigilance and contempt.

And when it comes to him and Belle, his personal life, there is just pure contempt. Emma never brings them up unless it is relevant to the case she's working on. Wondering whom he wanna talk to on the phone? Belle. Belle? Belle who? Oh, daddy's girlfriend. Regina is missing, is he behind it? No, that's not possible. He's too busy with Lacey these days. And who Lacey is? His old/new girlfriend. She's his girl, that's all I need to know. Hanging out with a "beast", she is no good. Whatever happens to them, I don't give a damn. If that's not ignorance, I don't know what it. What Emma doesn't know is that unlike her, a lost girl of fragile interior beneath a tough exterior, Belle is of tough interior beneath a fragile exterior. With Rumple, Belle never feels lost. She has the courage to love the man she loves, not being afraid of getting hurt. Emma, though, is not there yet.
Jonathan, I don't think she was denying that Emma doesn't trust Rumple. Because fact is Emma doesn't. Same way she doesn't trust Regina. That's completely understandable. Rumple hasn't exactly been a "good" character on the show, and Emma has had bad experiences with him as Mr Gold in SB before ever finding out about him being Rumplestiltskin. She's seen dark sides in both Rumple and Regina so she's going to be wary and untrusting to them. At the same time she isn't completely contemptuous of Rumple, she does tolerate him - she did go with him to find Neal outside of SB. Yes, it was because she owed him due to their deal. But she wasn't outwardly hostile and horrible to Rumple during the trip, otherwise he would never have been open enough to tell her that she still loved Neal while they were there. And their relationship is two-way, Rumple doesn't always see Emma in a good light. For instance when he got angry with her on that trip to Manhatten, causing Neal to come rushing back in the room and tell him to "leave her alone". To me they are simply shown as untrusting of each other and barely tolerable. But considering they're both usually on different ends of the good/bad spectrum, that's understandable. Of course, with Rumple's redemption arc that seems to be occuring, this could all change and they have been fighting on the same side at the moment.

As for Belle, I in no way see Emma hating Belle. They barely know each other, and have barely interacted. Emma's never been outwardly hostile to Belle. And she did bring her up to Hook after the shooting. When Hook was in the hospital bed claiming to have gotten revenge on Rumple, Emma did turn around and say "You shot Belle!" - as in he hurt an innocent. She may again be wary of Belle, considering Belle is with Rumple and Emma doesn't trust him, but she has no antagonism towards her. To be honest, we can't really know if Emma has any real negative feelings towards Belle, because they simply have NOT had scenes together that relate anything as such. Emma isn't purposely ignorant of them, her life just doesn't always collide with theirs and certainly not Belle's.

P.S. Just so you guys know, Jen's board has been pretty much confirmed!!
.{Zee}.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNaley23x (View Post)
P.S. Just so you guys know, Jen's board has been pretty much confirmed!!
I'm so excited.

Icon by Fiona