Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Elite Fan

You and I watched a completely different episode.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:40 AM
Loyal Fan

Charming's story with the mystery of who killed his father is by far the best for me so far in this season. It's an ok season for now, but for me Emma and Regina have stories where they have to relearn lessons they should have learned a long time ago and Rumbelle are stuck in the same place they have been in again and again too and Hook and Zelena just bore me so far.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:59 AM
Elite Fan

Among other things, I suspect Hyde told EQ about Emma's savior syndrome.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen107 (View Post)
Charming's story with the mystery of who killed his father is by far the best for me so far in this season. It's an ok season for now, but for me Emma and Regina have stories where they have to relearn lessons they should have learned a long time ago and Rumbelle are stuck in the same place they have been in again and again too and Hook and Zelena just bore me so far.
I loved seeing Snow in the EF and Ella's story but the best scenes of the episode and even the season were Charming/Belle and the last Charming/Snow scene. The defeat and repeat (or just repeat) sums up Emma, Rumple and Regina for me this season too. Hook and Zelena have just been props. I do like Snow's wanting to settle down but it also feels like a repeat of season 2. And are we supposed to forget that she had gone back to teaching in 4.13?
Old 10-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I guess she gave it up in the Uw when wanting to be Snow for 4 days lol. That confused too
Well I like Emma in this episode and I enjoy some aspects of the EQ but I do agree that rumple and reginas themes are repetive.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
Regina had to be the sidekick?
In this episode she did. Emma's current arc needed her to learn how to get beyond the shaking, both by relying on her non-magical skills (bail bondsperson skip tracking) and pushing past her fear and doubt about her ability to continue as the savior by healing Ashley.

If they had chosen to go with Regina helping Clarinda/Jacob as a form of healing some of her remaining pain over Daniel's murder, she would still have had to take a secondary role, as Emma's story is what's moving the current arc.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

^^ and she did with the help of her true loves, Killian and Henry.

Ashley was her first save/Happy ending and she did with henry's help, now the history repeats itself and she did it with her boys makes perfect sense!

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆
♥S&K♥♥R&Hr♥♥P&K♥♥J&B♥♥C&C♥♥E&K♥

Old 10-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeverett (View Post)
Firstly, the parallels between Regina/Daniel and Clarinda/Jacob were eerie. Other than winning Henry's love and some friends for herself, Regina's quest for redemption has never been more than self improvement. I wish Regina had helped Emma more and ultimately taken some comfort from seeing Clarinda/Jacob's story play out in a positive way.
I have to say I disagree that Regina should have been part of this plot. There were clear parallels, yes, but Once does this with many plots, stories and characters. Last week there was a clear parallel between Hook's back story and the Count of Monte Cristo, but he was hardly in the episode because it was about Regina. This week it was about Emma and learning to fight for her happy ending. The reason Hook and Henry were with her is they represent that ending. There was no character development for Hook because it wasn't about him.

I'm sure there will be plenty more Regina-centric plots to come.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:54 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliana (View Post)
I have to say I disagree that Regina should have been part of this plot. There were clear parallels, yes, but Once does this with many plots, stories and characters. Last week there was a clear parallel between Hook's back story and the Count of Monte Cristo, but he was hardly in the episode because it was about Regina. This week it was about Emma and learning to fight for her happy ending. The reason Hook and Henry were with her is they represent that ending. There was no character development for Hook because it wasn't about him.

I'm sure there will be plenty more Regina-centric plots to come.
Perhaps they should have figured out another story for Clarinda and Ashley, where Emma could deal with her savior shakes and self doubt The cruel mother seeking her own happiness and taking away/killing their child's true love is way too close to Regina's past. This one practically screamed for Regina to save the day; she deserves to watch the thing play out differently, to see true love prevail in an almost identical situation to her greatest sorrow. The fact that she wasn't even on hand to help rewrite history for Clarinda and Jacob was just such a waste.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:34 AM
Elite Fan

Um, Regina being involved would actually require her character to care about someone else for a change. Emma cares about others, that's why she helps them. Regina doesn't help people. It's not in her nature. She said herself, she doesn't even like doing good.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

I thought they would mention Daniel and Regina too because they mentioned him in the Underbrooke story when almost no one expected it. And the Cinderella story was very similar to the original D & R story of season 1. But maybe the writers don't notice anymore how often they copy older stories. It happens a lot.

For better or for worse when the writers have Emma and Regina work together it is more dynamic. I understand why many like it when the writers make them a team. How it is now with Emma and Hook is nice for their shippers surely, but it makes Hook more a prop than a character to me too.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:50 AM
Elite Fan

Prop? Give me a break.

At least Killian is actually supportive of Emma, and able to give her the encouragement and comfort she needs. The last thing she needs is more of Regina being rude and belittling her, like the Evil Queen did, especially when she's going through such a difficult time.

She's much better off being around the people who love her. They are the hope she needs that whatever this vision means she can be the savior and still get her happy ending.

Last edited by scififan2009; 10-12-2016 at 05:59 AM
Old 10-12-2016, 06:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I like that cs were working together as a couple and I agree that sometimes just because some stories parrallek doesn't mean they use the exact person like both Gaston and count parralled Hook wanting vengeance but Hook wasent in their stories
Old 10-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
Prop? Give me a break.

At least Killian is actually supportive of Emma, and able to give her the encouragement and comfort she needs. The last thing she needs is more of Regina being rude and belittling her, like the Evil Queen did, especially when she's going through such a difficult time.

She's much better off being around the people who love her. They are the hope she needs that whatever this vision means she can be the savior and still get her happy ending.
THIS

Emma doesnt need "you're such a waste of ability" "looks like the saviour needs saving" "now I bench you" "you were upset we followed you to the UW" should I go on? no right

Killian and henry are HER TEAM, Killian has an story of his own, its not just a prop

☆ The Swan-Jones ☆
♥S&K♥♥R&Hr♥♥P&K♥♥J&B♥♥C&C♥♥E&K♥

Old 10-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeverett (View Post)
Perhaps they should have figured out another story for Clarinda and Ashley, where Emma could deal with her savior shakes and self doubt The cruel mother seeking her own happiness and taking away/killing their child's true love is way too close to Regina's past. This one practically screamed for Regina to save the day; she deserves to watch the thing play out differently, to see true love prevail in an almost identical situation to her greatest sorrow. The fact that she wasn't even on hand to help rewrite history for Clarinda and Jacob was just such a waste.
1) This would be boring in my opinion. To keep rehashing the past is not necessary and you'd get the audience saying there are no new ideas. If you do reuse an idea, it's best to do it in a some subtle way as this was done.

2) I don't believe Regina would have gained any character growth from this. She's already turning to Snow for help in the fight against the EQ, the past forgotten.

3) With Regina helping, she would have done the locator spell, poofed them where they need to go, frozen the step-mother with her magic, healed Ashley etc. And Emma would have had no character growth at all, felt like a failure, gotten no control over her magic, and lost hope. She certainly would not have been able to try and have a future with Hook or anyone-else.