Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

I felt like the episode was rushed. The writers were trying to tell too many stories in one episode, which did not allow any one story to get completely flushed out. My thoughts below:

Will - I only watched bits of OUATIW, but I am aware of the way the story ends. Michael Socha (& Naveen Andrews) were really great from what I saw. However, I'm not quite sure how Will fits into OUAT. If this show is pre-Wonderland, then we already know how his story is going to end. If this is post-Wonderland, then it's redundant to separate him from Ana.

Regina & Henry - I do like the journey they are going on, and I'm intrigued to find out who wrote the book.

Emma/Hook - On the plus side, Hook did look mighty fine in his clothes , and I appreciated Rumple calling out Hook on following Emma around like a puppy. Occasionally, the writers think they are showing how strong the woman is by emasculating her male counterpart. I liked the villainous/playful Hook that we first saw in season 2. The writers screwed up by not including his backstory in the Neverland half, and made him nothing more than Emma's tag-along in 3B. Additionally, rather than showcasing Emma's character development during her first official date with her potential soulmate, the writers instead focused on action. Lastly, we've already seen Hook with cursed lips, did we need to see him with yet another cursed body part (even if it may have been perceived)?

Rumple - The hat, broom, all the Mickey pandering is quite juvenile. Although I do like a darker Rumple, he's already done so much to put that behind him. When he sacrificed himself for the greater good, one would think it would have changed him. Instead, he's back to his old tricks. This is like a daytime soap opera, the same old stories are rehashed on the same characters.

Elizabeth Mitchell was really great on Lost. However, next week looks cheesy - with reference to building a snowman & that awful CGI creature - whatever it was.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I never felt Hook was a love sick puppy just a guy trying to prove worthy to the first he had in 3 hundred years. I felt it showed character development in a subtle Emma not having her date end in a chase like the pilot and Cs being affectionate with each other
Old 10-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Extreme Fan

I am surprised at how much I enjoyed this episode.

Love all the sinister villainy between Rumple and Hook! It's been ages since I have found these two as delightfully dirty, dark, and secretive as in this episode. So so curious as to how their mutual storyline plays out.

In love with Henry going undercover in Rumple's shop to aid his Mother.
Regina and Henry had awesome scenes last night. Love how devoted Henry is to Regina's search for a happy ending.

Be still my heart, but weren't Snow and Charming adorable in full on parental mode when it came to Emma and her date? I could watch such cuteness for an entire episode. Charming's face! Snow all giddy and overjoyed. ( I hope Emma never moves out of the loft)

Anna and Rumple. I adore Anna! So Snow-like. So adorable and loving and generous in spirit. So good and open-hearted. Anna' fortunate triumph over past Rumple left me cheering.
But now the big question - How did Rumple retrieve the magic box from Arendelle?
And what happened to Anna? Kristoff had a warm and happy reunion with Anna. But why didn't she reunite with Elsa? What is Rumple's involvement in Anna's disappearance?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Loyal Fan

Remember, Rumple found the box in the new mansion that had suddenly appeared. I don't think Rumple had anything to do with Anna's disappearance. I think the mansion, box, necklace, the whole thing is some plan by the SQ.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Extreme Fan

^ Forgot about the box's reappearance. Thanks.

Though I still believe Rumple knows more about Anna than he's revealed.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinzle (View Post)
I think I know now what Rumple meant when he talked to Henry about His heritage and the Dark One's Legacy. Both Rumple and Bae would do anything to be with their sons, no matter the price. And now son/grandson is willing to do what it takes to help his mother, no matter who it may hurt. Is this the legacy of the Dark One? To twist noble desires into something abhorrent? Yes, right now it seems ok. Instead of coming out an just asking Rumple, he is going to spy and be sneaky. It will not end well. It never does.

No, it's not the legacy of the Dark One. It's just Henry believing he has to be deceptive in dealing with his grandfather. As I had earlier pointed out, he was equally sneaky with Regina back in early Season 2, when he wanted to find something in her vault that would bring Emma and Snow back to Storybrooke. Will his actions bite him in the ass? Probably. I find it interesting that he failed to tell Regina how he was going to get the information from Rumpel about the book. I wonder why.

I don't see how Rumpel's one good act or sacrifice was an indication that he was going to be good for the rest of his life. Development of one's character is very difficult to achieve. In fact, the average human is always struggling with his or her moral compass. It's not just villainous characters I would be leery of. I'd would also feel leery about characters like the Charmings. They're not wholly good. No one is. There will always be the chance of any character on that show succumbing to his or her more unpleasant traits. Always.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.

Last edited by DR76; 10-20-2014 at 06:34 PM
Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Obsessed Fan

It feels rather likely that Henry taking the job for Gold will end up influencing him in perhaps what we are supposed to perceive as a bad way.

This was a very nice episode with some outstanding acting.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:54 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinzle (View Post)
Remember, Rumple found the box in the new mansion that had suddenly appeared. I don't think Rumple had anything to do with Anna's disappearance. I think the mansion, box, necklace, the whole thing is some plan by the SQ.
Ahh, what a great idea! Perhaps she put the mansion in SB somehow to distract Rumple by his own unstoppable lust for the ultimate power. Wonder how she knows him so well? I also am looking forward to finding out Anna's fate!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhRightTheConscienceThing (View Post)
Though I still believe Rumple knows more about Anna than he's revealed.
Completely agree.

Also note Anna commanded the DO can't ever harm Ellsa and herself. She forgot to include Kristoff so he could be at risk in the future. Thought it was a glaring miss.

Last edited by CityGal; 10-21-2014 at 09:23 AM
Old 10-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
Completely agree.

Also note Anna commanded the DO can't ever harm Ellsa and herself. She forgot to include Kristoff so he could be at risk in the future. Thought it was a glaring miss.
Interesting. Do you think the dagger has power over Rumple, even when not being welded by someone else? I mean, after she dropped the knife, would her power over him be nullified? Brings up a lot of possibilities if it has a lingering effect.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomentintime3 (View Post)
Rumble-centric episode? By 30 mins in there were two flashbacks with Anna that are mostly story-centric and a scene to set up Hook-hand issue. And no Belle *sighs*.
They were about Rumple, the Dark One and his manipulation of people and inform about his current interest and behavior.

Quote:
Was irritated when the only Rumbelle scene was cut (which makes how many episodes in a row between Belle and Rumple). I don't need to have Rumbelle scenes all the time but in a Rumple-centric episode it was disappointing, especially because Rumple came across as such a one dimensional villain today.
I don't think he's one dimensional at all nor portrayed as one in this episode or during the series. There has been a 30% increase in viewership this season so there is a new audience who needed to see Mr. Gold as the vile Dark One, easily willing to manipulate someone as nice and good-hearted as Anna, for the fist time.

Quote:
This entire episode felt kind of disjointed and plot-driven rather than character-driven. It seemed like they were jumping around a lot with the Anna flashbacks, the SQ bits where she might have something to do with Emma, Hook's hand, then the hat and Rumple. It felt like a lot of stuff was being set up for later, and...
This is only the 4th episode of 22, and so I do agree this was a very big setup episode for multiple characters and set varying plot points in motion. Story arcs, both character and plot driven ones, can be both short and season long. The episode deftly did both very creatively, IMHO. And once again, put Rumple at the center.

Quote:
not much was really delved into this episode other than explaining why Rumple wanted the hat (which was explained three times (!) in the scenes between Zozo, Anna/Rumple and Rumple/Hook). I got it the first time
Storytelling, and especially fairytale storytelling, utilize the rule of three in writing. That things that come from three are funnier, sadder, understood better, more satisfying, and complete for the reader (in our case the viewer). The writers drive the message or point home by delivering it in threes either within an episode or season or series. (fairytale examples: Three Little Pigs, Three Bears, Cinderella's Three sisters, Rumplstiltskin allows three guesses, etc..)

In this episode for example, Anna's realization that Rumple uses love as a weapon was explored three times - Anna in the Enchanted Forest, Hook in Storybrooke and the final Henry to Gold (twist!). Each time the story point is reintroduced, the individual or plot stakes are raised thus creating viewer anticipation anxiety for the story because the audience is primed for it. Which is why Henry at the end was creative and imaginative.

It completed the three, made the story point, made character points (for Henry & Gold at end and others), and did it softly. The writers delivered their story and emphasized a key point (or message) - which you got! Hopefully in future episodes, we'll understand why, but clearly the writers did it purposefully using the rule of threes.

Last edited by CityGal; 10-21-2014 at 02:15 PM
Old 10-22-2014, 03:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

After seeing the Knave I am totally in the mood to rewatch in Wonderland!
Old 10-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Obsessed Fan

I didn't care much for this episode, to be honest.

I'm ready for Belle to find out about Rumple, and I hate that they keep sidelining her. I ship Rumbelle, but she needs to leave him, for the sake of her character, at this point. I want them to be endgame, but not at the expense of Belle as a character.

Don't care for what they're doing with Hook, either.

I did love moments of Hook and Emma's date, and the Charmings' reactions. I also loved Henry helping Regina. I really want more of the Henry/Regina relationship, and I hope this is a sign that they're going to give them more screen time together. It's been sorely needed for two seasons.

~Kat
Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
I find it interesting that he failed to tell Regina how he was going to get the information from Rumple about the book. I wonder why.
Actually what they did was 'show' not 'tell' the audience how Henry was going to spy on Gold. They cut the conversation short with Regina than immediately skipped to Gold's shop. It doesn't mean Henry didn't tell Regina his whole plan, only that the writers made a choice to show him carrying it out instead of just talking about it.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

A Lady and the Tramp Easter Egg in OUAT 4x04 ‘The Apprentice’