Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Absolute Fan

^ Who says he'd be using his 'unlimited power' (Palpatine/Sidious cackle) to cause trouble? Like I said in my review above, everybody keeps on trying to paint him as a villain, but it's never been that simple with him, and there's always been more to him and his machinations than meets the eye.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 10-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Extreme Fan

True.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Elite Fan

PastRumple really crossed the line in this episode. The dark curse was one thing. Making Anna cry, that's just unforgivable.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Extreme Fan

My feelings on tonight's episode. They are pretty Rumple-centric because I went into it anticipating a Rumple-centric episode.

Rumble-centric episode? By 30 mins in there were two flashbacks with Anna that are mostly story-centric and a scene to set up Hook-hand issue. And no Belle *sighs*.

I kind of enjoyed the date (though there wasn't much feeling in it, it felt like it moved at an awkward pace, Lots of build up with the Charmings and then the date gets interrupted quickly. I did really enjoy David's little insertions when Emma got back about not wanting to know everything in comparison to Snow.

I liked the twist with the hand not being cursed but Hook acting that was because he anticipated it was.

Was irritated when the only Rumbelle scene was cut (which makes how many episodes in a row between Belle and Rumple). I don't need to have Rumbelle scenes all the time but in a Rumple-centric episode it was disappointing, especially because Rumple came across as such a one dimensional villain today.

This entire episode felt kind of disjointed and plot-driven rather than character-driven. It seemed like they were jumping around a lot with the Anna flashbacks, the SQ bits where she might have something to do with Emma, Hook's hand, then the hat and Rumple. It felt like a lot of stuff was being set up for later, and not much was really delved into this episode other than explaining why Rumple wanted the hat (which was explained three times (!) in the scenes between Zozo, Anna/Rumple and Rumple/Hook). I got it the first time

Best scene of the night for me was Henry-Rumple which, not coincidentally, was the only scene that showed any softer side to Rumple at all and Henry/Regina because I love watching that relationship starting to flourish.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

It was a okay episode.

I just feel so sorry for Will. He wants to get back to Wonderland and Anastasia.

Wonder what happens now with Anna, because it looks like she never went back home to the castle. I want to know what happened after the scene with Kristoff.

I love that Henry is so willing to help Regina with this. I enjoy their scenes.

And Snow and Charming staying up to hear how the date went.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved the first part. the date was sweet. I loved their banter when Emma asked him out. I loved the Charmings and Elsa. I had never seen Emma so happy

The second makes me cry intresting twist that the hand was a placebo effects both Hook and Rumple weren't saints tonight. I am worried of the angst that going to happen with Hook and Emma. I do hate that Rumple wants Hook to continue working for him after he already got back at him, but their scenes are always intresting

Last edited by fox24; 10-19-2014 at 11:51 PM
Old 10-20-2014, 03:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Thought this was a great episode!

- Zoso has returned, that was a great first scenes to get the episode running and a surprise too! , interesting point that Dark One has incompassed all darkness can’t use the hat…means Rumple hasn’t gone all dark thanks to Belle.

- Hook you know trying to blackmail Rumple isn’t going to work at ALL!!!, he will never learn…

- at the Charmings taking documentation of Emma’s dress and Dad making sure Hook doesn’t take advantage….

- Ooo FTL Rumple I have missed you so…, loved when Anna questioned about his skin, Anna asking all the right questions

- Ahh see Hook, you hand has now come to bite you on the ars , as we all knew it would..

- Charmings staying up to make sure their daughter arrives safely…aww….

- Loved the Anna and Rumple scenes, cracked up when Rumple told Anna she broke their deal

- So that’s the reason Rumple wanted the hat, to keep his power and get rid of the dagger’s hold on him….and he turned the Apprentice in a mouse!!, oh love the parrells OUAT

- Game set and match to Rumplestiltskin, Rumplestiltskin 1 Hook 0

- Ahh hat has magic storing abilities…
- Aww Henry I hoped that you want to visit Rumple because he’s your grandfather, not to get info…
- So now Rumple has Hook in his pocket…wonder what Rumple will make him do…

Only downside really to this eppy was no no Belle hardly…..but I did really enjoy it….looking forward to next eppy

Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Extreme Fan

For me, this was the first decent episode of the season. It's interesting that so many are either crowing over Hook's situation or lamenting over the fact that he isn't saint. I don't care if he isn't a saint. No one is meant to be one. Certainly not Emma and the Charmings, who at times, seem unaware of their own ambiguity.

Yes, Hook can be a selfish, cunning and ruthless bastard. And at the same time, he can be a generous, decent and compassionate man. He's both. He has always been both and he always will be. If he can just stop listening to Rumpel and the Charmings, who all seemed to want him to be one thing or the other, perhaps he'll learn to balance and eventually control all of those traits within and be himself, instead of something someone else wants him to be.

But this is "ONCE UPON A TIME". If the writers don't demand that he always be a saint worthy of Emma, then many of the fans will. And the pity of it is that Emma is no better. She's not. She may have her pleasant traits, but she also has her unpleasant side. The so-called "Savior" is still a thief who knowingly possesses a stolen vehicle. She still refuses to accept the fact that one does not meddle with time - even one's intentions are good. And I see that she has also returned to her penchant of abusing her position as the town sheriff. I haven't forgotten her physical abuse of Hook when he was in her custody back in S2. And now, she keeps Will behind bars longer than necessary, because he nearly spoiled her date. This is Kitsis and Horowitz's idea of law enforcement?

As for Rumpelstiltskin, I'm not really surprised by his behavior. This is becoming a habit with him. He'll do something loathesome, face the consequences of his behavior or feel guilt, declare his intentions to repent, and engage in loathsome behavior all over again. I don't know what this wizard's hat going to lead for him, but I suspect that either he, the citizens of Storybrooke or both will pay a serious price for his actions.

I suspect that this new relationship with Henry will not end well for Rumpel. Henry is not as pure as many want to believe. In fact, he is no more pure than his Charming relatives. He can be pretty sharp. And unlike Regina, he saw nothing wrong with her and Robin getting back together, despite Marian's arrival and her marriage to Robin. He's not that young. And he did a pretty good job in manipulating Rumpel. Which is not surprising, considering how he had manipulated Regina back in early Season 2, so that he can get into her vault. Like everyone else, Henry is a combination of both good and evil. His unpleasant traits have nothing to do with being Rumpel's grandson. It has everything to do with being Henry.

I think the worst about Operation Mongoose is that Regina will come to the realization that the book does not map out everyone's fate. It merely records their actions and decisions in the Enchanted Forest. After all, Emma and Hook's time traveling didn't appear in the book until after their return to Storybrooke.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.

Last edited by DR76; 10-20-2014 at 09:08 AM
Old 10-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Dedicated Fan

I'm not so sure the hand didn't influence Hook when he had it back. Sure it might have been the power of suggestion, but when can we EVER trust what Rumple says? He might've been lying before, but who is to say he isn't lying at the end just to get Hook to do what he wants? I found his roughing-up of Will to be a little out-of-character, even for his old self. Why would his old self want to beat up a guy trying to get into the library? If he was truly "letting his dark side show" wouldn't he have been selfish and totally ignored it? There was no one around to impress (cronies, etc) and it didn't get him anything either. I think that was the best argument to think that his hand really DID influence him. That might've resulted in undirected violence just trying to burst out of a mindless hand.

But "just letting your dark side show"? Nope, don't buy it. Don't know which way the writers intended it to be, but I think Rumple is manipulating him NOW, rather than earlier.

Hook still has a lot to learn though. If he wants a good relationship with Emma, he needs to learn to start being more honest and share his problems with her. If he'd said from the beginning that Rumple had given him back his hand and now he thought it might be manipulating him, she would've understood. She might've been able to help, or who knows, might've even agreed to going back to Rumple for help. Either way, Rumple wouldn't have been able to manipulate Hook by playing the "what will Emma think" card.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Dedicated Fan

I'm not so sure the hand didn't influence Hook when he had it back. Sure it might have been the power of suggestion, but when can we EVER trust what Rumple says? He might've been lying before, but who is to say he isn't lying at the end just to get Hook to do what he wants? I found his roughing-up of Will to be a little out-of-character, even for his old self. Why would his old self want to beat up a guy trying to get into the library? If he was truly "letting his dark side show" wouldn't he have been selfish and totally ignored it? There was no one around to impress (cronies, etc) and it didn't get him anything either. I think that was the best argument to think that his hand really DID influence him. That might've resulted in undirected violence just trying to burst out of a mindless hand.

But "just letting your dark side show"? Nope, don't buy it. Don't know which way the writers intended it to be, but I think Rumple is manipulating him NOW, rather than earlier.

Hook still has a lot to learn though. If he wants a good relationship with Emma, he needs to learn to start being more honest and share his problems with her. If he'd said from the beginning that Rumple had given him back his hand and now he thought it might be manipulating him, she would've understood. She might've been able to help, or who knows, might've even agreed to going back to Rumple for help. Either way, Rumple wouldn't have been able to manipulate Hook by playing the "what will Emma think" card.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love all the Hook/Swan scenes so freaking much! Above that David being protective of Emma was so freaking adorable!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love all the Hook/Swan scenes so freaking much! Above that David being protective of Emma was so freaking adorable!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Old 10-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Hook still has a lot to learn though. If he wants a good relationship with Emma, he needs to learn to start being more honest and share his problems with her.

I wonder what Emma has to do.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineliz (View Post)

I think it was like the placebo effect of a drug. He psychology believed the hand was evil