Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2014, 02:36 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Lynn (View Post)
So, can I ask you guys to check out something I did ...

I'm new to Tumblr and I have been wanting to "analyze" Hook's character for a while so I want to do a scene by scene explanation of what I like and how I interpret a scene that I've heard complaints about ...

Anyway, here is the link to my first one if you want to check it out:

Understanding Hook - Scene by Scene
It definitely gave me a new angle through which to look at his first appearance. I'm not sure I agree with everything, but I like the part about Killian just trying to protect Milah and doing what he could.

I think if this was not the first impression it would be taken differently. But I think they did the same with Rumple and Regina - first show full fledged villains, then build up character and backstory (if they didn't then erase this theory). Also, we saw the story through Rumple's POV more or less, we didn't see Killian and Milah share laughs and sparks at the pub, we didn't see her run away or any of that. And that makes a huge difference in my opinion. We are shown that Killian Jones is a bad guy, a bully and a wife-thief. I can only imagine what the episode would be like if it was from Killian's POV.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:51 AM
Elite Fan

Personally Milah went herself she made the choice to leave

I believe Hook wouldnt have fought Rumple if Rumple made an effort to stand up to taking Milah back but he just didnt even try even when Hook was goading him, that was the point of what Hook was trying to get across IMO, if he wanted to hurt Rumple he would of done it without even giving him a choice and also saying that line 'a man unwilling to fight for what he wants, deserves what he gets'

As for a invalid, i like not to forget that Rumple also made Hook as invalid shall we shall in taking his hand also, and before bullying and tormenting him to a fight coz now he was powerful

Old 07-02-2014, 04:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I agree that is from Rumple point of view so things get blurry. Killain was young pirate in love and it was Milahs choice if it wasent Killain it would have been a sailor or another pirate.

Plus I do believe paid to high a price by the Do
Old 07-02-2014, 06:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_m (View Post)
It definitely gave me a new angle through which to look at his first appearance. I'm not sure I agree with everything, but I like the part about Killian just trying to protect Milah and doing what he could.

I think if this was not the first impression it would be taken differently. But I think they did the same with Rumple and Regina - first show full fledged villains, then build up character and backstory (if they didn't then erase this theory). Also, we saw the story through Rumple's POV more or less, we didn't see Killian and Milah share laughs and sparks at the pub, we didn't see her run away or any of that. And that makes a huge difference in my opinion. We are shown that Killian Jones is a bad guy, a bully and a wife-thief. I can only imagine what the episode would be like if it was from Killian's POV.
POV makes a huge difference and I think you said it better than I did here ... we're seeing the story from Rumpel's POV and he is so frightened and helpless.

What I really love about this show is that they leave just enough open to interpretation. It's easy to look at this scene and say Killian is being a bully but when you find out at the end of the episode that they are in love it should change how you see things. Like you said, Rumpel and Regina were introduced as villains but as the episodes went on we saw the motivation for their actions.

I just don't think Killian goes from being an honorable lieutenant to being a pirate that bullies an invalid. He admitted that he's the worst human around but he also says he's a gentleman and he has a code. I imagine it was probably Milah who said if Rumpel comes looking for her again that Killian should just challenge him to a fight and that will be the surest way to get him to back away.

Quote:
I believe Hook wouldnt have fought Rumple if Rumple made an effort to stand up to taking Milah back but he just didnt even try even when Hook was goading him, that was the point of what Hook was trying to get across IMO, if he wanted to hurt Rumple he would of done it without even giving him a choice and also saying that line 'a man unwilling to fight for what he wants, deserves what he gets'
I agree. In my head canon imagined conversation with Milah, I think Killian would have told her that he doesn't want o challenge him because it's not a fair fight but she would have told him that there was no way he would even fight. You see how dark Killian's tone gets when he tells Rumpel to inform his son he's a coward .. to Killian, being a coward is against his code and he's disgusted that Rumpel wouldn't fight for his family.

This is further emphasized later on when Killian knows he will die fighting the Dark One but fights him anyway ... Killian is never a coward. He may have many bad qualities but that is never one of them.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:03 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
POV makes a huge difference and I think you said it better than I did here ... we're seeing the story from Rumpel's POV and he is so frightened and helpless.
You said it quite well and I was just riffing off you, so thanks for helping me think about this point!

Quote:
What I really love about this show is that they leave just enough open to interpretation. It's easy to look at this scene and say Killian is being a bully but when you find out at the end of the episode that they are in love it should change how you see things. Like you said, Rumpel and Regina were introduced as villains but as the episodes went on we saw the motivation for their actions.
Agree. Especially the bolded. Nearly nothing in this show is black and white and set in stone (even the timelines change sometimes ). Which is why it's so great. Also love your head canon and the rest, but trying to shorten the post a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelEyes008

As for a invalid, i like not to forget that Rumple also made Hook as invalid shall we shall in taking his hand also, and before bullying and tormenting him to a fight coz now he was powerful
A great post!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree that Hook wouldn't have fought Rumple made an effort
Old 07-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I will probably be doing more of these so I'll post them here since I love to hear other's opinions!

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks for sharing and looking forward!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Please post these anytime
Old 07-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
I agree that Hook wouldn't have fought Rumple made an effort
I mean he must of heard from Milah how weak and coward he is, but like i say i think if Rumple made some effort but end of the day, it was Milah's choice to leave and Hook knew that

And we know by now Hook doesnt fight unfairly - we saw it in Good Form, that what the point was to see him say he doesnt fight invalids to Charming and also to his brother, that he would fight fairly etc

Quote:

I just don't think Killian goes from being an honorable lieutenant to being a pirate that bullies an invalid. He admitted that he's the worst human around but he also says he's a gentleman and he has a code. I imagine it was probably Milah who said if Rumpel comes looking for her again that Killian should just challenge him to a fight and that will be the surest way to get him to back away.

Thats how he views himself

He was a navy officer, he has worked for his profression and became a pirate, he still had his man of honour qualities and also he very much self loathes himself

He himself says he is the worst human around, he doesnt blame anyone else for it - he doesnt also white wash the things he has done but it was all in the name of revenge, avenging his love

Last edited by HazelEyes008; 07-02-2014 at 11:05 AM
Old 07-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah he doesn't justify his actions
Old 07-03-2014, 05:52 AM
Elite Fan

He doesnt, Even when Charming blamed him for putting their lives in danger when he took the bean, he didnt go off and blame it on Regina who basically started it all with taking the bean, messing up Greg's life and so on

Old 07-03-2014, 05:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Nor to any of the adults who should done a better watching Henery. A emma and Regina were busy with the diamonds but he was right in front of the Charmings
Old 07-03-2014, 06:07 AM
Elite Fan

He hasnt once let them down once he came back to her, them and joined their team and been there for them and Emma.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

He changed and has proven himself part of the team