Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2018, 01:57 PM
Elite Fan

I love both versions of this scene.

Meliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Once Upon A Time

There is only one version to me.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Elite Fan

Really? I've always been impressed by how the second version retained all the important elements of their story. I think it adds to their story rather than taking away.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:44 AM
Master Fan

I have to agree with Cam. There is only one version. And I disagree that the second version had all the important elements. The second version did not have the scene where Charming saved Snow from the knights, saving her after she betrayed him by pushing him in the water, and then and we visibly saw her fall in love with him. That is a major event. And it did not have Snow choosing to give up her one chance for revenge to save him. She just faked it with the dust instead of making a real sacrifice. Those two elements were crucial to their love story. But the flashbacks in Heartless had a clip of them on the horse together alone which only happened in the first version so I am content that they remember it also.

Last edited by Austenphile; 06-15-2018 at 04:14 AM
Austenphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:05 AM
Elite Fan

I think of Snow drifts etc as an additional story not a replacement, the important elements of both are retained, time travel or not, it's a fairy story after all: I'm sure they remember both versions, and they do still save each other's lives. Just see it as adding more layers and not erasing the original.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:42 AM
Master Fan

I blame Best Laid Plans on the events in Snow Drifts/No Place Like He. They never happened in the original timeline as Snow was only so desperate because Regina had almost burned her to death. Snow Drifts also makes it incredibly difficult for me to accept the Snow and Regina friendship. She literally burned her to death. That is so much worse than anything else she did. Or the Emma and Regina friendship. She watched Regina burn her mother to death. Ditto with Charming and Regina ever being friends. They just went too far in those episodes. I just hated it.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:59 AM
Elite Fan

Interesting, so for you the burning thing is worse than getting a huntsman to kill her or killing her father? I can't really see it that way, as Snow had just tried to turn Regina into a bug in order to step on her. They are kind of equal in that they both tried to kill each other, and they both failed to.

From the writing POV though, that scene was about Emma realising she desperately needs her mother in her life. So it may come across as being out of character for Regina.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Once Upon A Time

I agree with Austenphile that the 3x21 and 3x22 version lost several key scenes and moments between them, and it just didn't have quite the same spark as well. It really just felt... like it just a lessened version of a really wonderful original story, and I wish the writers had left it as it was. To me, the second version does not add to their story, but rather takes away from it.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:07 AM
Elite Fan

It never even occurred to me think about it like that. I do agree that Snow Falls is the proper version of the story, but I can easily enjoy 3.21 and 3.22 as well. I am a fan of Back to the Future so maybe that's why.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:27 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliana (View Post)
Interesting, so for you the burning thing is worse than getting a huntsman to kill her or killing her father? I can't really see it that way, as Snow had just tried to turn Regina into a bug in order to step on her. They are kind of equal in that they both tried to kill each other, and they both failed to.

From the writing POV though, that scene was about Emma realising she desperately needs her mother in her life. So it may come across as being out of character for Regina.
Yes the burning was worse to me. It was personal as opposed to sending someone else. And Snow trying to kill Regina was also so different from anything we had ever seen from her. I have to think of it as Emma’s nightmare or as not real as Isaac's World to even think about their ever becoming a family.

We also lost Snow not pursuing revenge because she used her backup plan for saving Charming instead. And with this version, the events of Heart of Darkness become irrelevant because Snow has already tried to kill Regina. I just hated that whole sequence. Not to mention that in Snow Falls, Snow said she only stole from the Queen, but now she has broken into a man’s bedroom to steal from him. It soured their meeting completely for me. And do not get me started on the lady bug scene. It was the most lame and ridiculous thing I have ever seen. And with this show, that is saying a lot.

I get they wanted Emma realizing she needed her mother, but they could have used her witnessing the events of Snow Falls to accomplish that. I almost stopped watching my favorite show because of those two episodes. I still hate them that much. The cute scenes of Emma with her parents do not override the complete travesty of their redoing what was a perfect first meeting into that mess.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Elite Fan

Okay thanks for explaining that for me. I find it fascinating how different people can view the same thing in vastly different ways.

I'm not sure how stealing from his room is much different from stealing from his carriage, but I get that it upsets you.

One thing I do love in those episodes is how David talks about his despair at having to marry Abigail.

I'm glad you carried on watching! I've never felt like that about Once, it's not always riveting, but there's always something to hook me in every episode.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:23 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Once Upon A Time

x
Old 06-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Master Fan

That was such a heart breaking scene.

x
Old 06-17-2018, 12:38 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Once Upon A Time

Aww, the pull David and Mary Margaret felt in those early episodes was so well acted by both of them.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:23 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Once Upon A Time

x