Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda (View Post)
Actually Lana gets a lot of praise from the writers and producers on the DVD set about how she just got Trina, saw her as complete and nuanced person and not just as the 70s party girl and seductress, on a level that no one else did when she auditioned and how they just knew right away when she came in that no one else could be their Trina. I thought that was interesting because Adam and Eddy, and also some of her fellow co-stars keep saying similar things about Lana now that she's on OUAT.
That is something I really love about Lana. She doesn't just play the character, she becomes that character and she really delves into it and digs deep. When I first started watching, I was immediately drawn to the Evil Queen/Regina but I was leery about liking her because I was worried they were going to pull the whole Disney stint and make her very 2 dimensional and I just can't get behind villains that don't have a good enough backstory or reason. So I appreciate her for always being aware of Regina's despite not knowing it and for not just taking the character at face value because a lot of the depth and sadness in Regina's character came from the earlier episodes before we knew her story and a lot of that was seen through Lana's acting. Had Lana played Regina any differently in the earlier episodes, the character wouldn't have had as much depth. Obviously there were small hints within the writing that gave us clues that there was something more to Regina but Lana was what really made it clear in her acting which is amazing cause she didn't even know her backstory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl (View Post)
I always felt the opposite way. I think Regina is easier to play because she's in our world and her actions aren't that crazy or unrealistic (except for what she did with Graham's heart). In FTL a lot of the Evil Queen scenes could have looked cheesy or silly but Lana always pulls them off. Overall I think Lana is a great actress and I couldn't see anyone else playing Regina.
See for me, I get where she's coming from because with the Evil Queen, she is who she is. She is playful, seductive, Evil, fun. While she has her deeper more emotional moments, they aren't as frequent. However with Regina, she is so mysterious. You aren't really sure where she's coming from or what her plan is. Especially in the earlier episodes when Lana would have to add emotional depth to a character we still knew nothing about. We didn't know her backstory, we didn't know if she remembered FTL, we didn't know if she really loved Henry.

So yea I can see why Regina would be the more difficult character to play but I agree with you that Lana really pulls the Evil Queen off well. The Evil Queen could have easily become too cheesy of a villain like most Disney villains are but Lana plays it perfectly.

I think it's definitely safe to say that NO ONE could play this character the way Lana could!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Thanks, Fi! I wonder if we'll get to see any more of Regina when she was still young and full of hope before Cora crushed it all.
I don't know about before Daniels death but we will definitely see young Regina again. Barbara Hershey is back for a few episodes in season 2 so I am hoping they are gonna flashback to when Regina was married to King Leopold.

Quote:
I think it's definitely safe to say that NO ONE could play this character the way Lana could!

Pretty much. I honestly love watching her play this character cos she does it so perfectly. And I love listening to Lana's thoughts on Regina as well. She really cares about the character and puts so much depth into her. It's fascinating listening to her talk about Regina.

FI - 20/06/2014 the date I met Jared, Lana, Sean, Bex, Robbie and Emilie! Best weekend ever.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_clo (View Post)
She doesn't just play the character, she becomes that character and she really delves into it and digs deep. When I first started watching, I was immediately drawn to the Evil Queen/Regina but I was leery about liking her because I was worried they were going to pull the whole Disney stint and make her very 2 dimensional and I just can't get behind villains that don't have a good enough backstory or reason. So I appreciate her for always being aware of Regina's despite not knowing it and for not just taking the character at face value because a lot of the depth and sadness in Regina's character came from the earlier episodes before we knew her story and a lot of that was seen through Lana's acting. Had Lana played Regina any differently in the earlier episodes, the character wouldn't have had as much depth. Obviously there were small hints within the writing that gave us clues that there was something more to Regina but Lana was what really made it clear in her acting which is amazing cause she didn't even know her backstory!
Agree 100 percent with your posting! This is it! This way Lana Parrilla makes Regina the best character of the series for me. It is perfectly explained. Thank you.
It is good that Lana Parrilla fights for Regina too. For keeping Regina multi dimensional, human. For her maybe having redemption later.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 AM
Extreme Fan

Lana (and Robert) just owns the show. I really don't think the show would have taken off like it has if there was anyone else in the part.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Lana (and Robert) just owns the show. I really don't think the show would have taken off like it has if there was anyone else in the part.
I agree completely. I love Robert and Lana. Seriously if the two of them left the show in the morning I would be gone. And that is the truth of it. I do love the rest of the cast (particularly Ginny) but unfortunately they just don't keep me captivated as much as Robert and Lana do.

FI - 20/06/2014 the date I met Jared, Lana, Sean, Bex, Robbie and Emilie! Best weekend ever.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Absolute Fan

In one of the various Eddy and Adam interviews I recently read again while looking for quotes about Lana one of them also said something along the lines of how Regina was actually the first role they cast and that no other part was as crucial as this one. I would say this applies to both Rumple and Regina since they are the ones who really add the flavour to the show, make it stand out and shine, but they may not have mentioned Robert in this context because from what I remember they also knew they wanted him for the part of Rumple/Gold early on, so there may not have been much of a casting process in this case. Either way, yes, Team Storybrooke Mafia runs and owns the show.

@Chloie: Can I marry your post?
Rina ↳ [Tumblr || Art || Icons]
alycia debnam-carey & eliza taylor |
Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Total Fan

Storybrooke Mafia. I will always love this name for them.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_clo (View Post)
That is something I really love about Lana. She doesn't just play the character, she becomes that character and she really delves into it and digs deep. When I first started watching, I was immediately drawn to the Evil Queen/Regina but I was leery about liking her because I was worried they were going to pull the whole Disney stint and make her very 2 dimensional and I just can't get behind villains that don't have a good enough backstory or reason. So I appreciate her for always being aware of Regina's despite not knowing it and for not just taking the character at face value because a lot of the depth and sadness in Regina's character came from the earlier episodes before we knew her story and a lot of that was seen through Lana's acting. Had Lana played Regina any differently in the earlier episodes, the character wouldn't have had as much depth. Obviously there were small hints within the writing that gave us clues that there was something more to Regina but Lana was what really made it clear in her acting which is amazing cause she didn't even know her backstory!
I completely agree with this. Lana has brought so much depth to the character. I was interested in Regina's story right away because of those little looks of sadness and regret even when she was doing something terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbroccs (View Post)
I agree completely. I love Robert and Lana. Seriously if the two of them left the show in the morning I would be gone. And that is the truth of it. I do love the rest of the cast (particularly Ginny) but unfortunately they just don't keep me captivated as much as Robert and Lana do.
I really can't imagine the show without them.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
I was interested in Regina's story right away because of those little looks of sadness and regret even when she was doing something terrible.
One of my favourite scenes is in 1.06 with Kathryn at the party. That was the first time I seriously asked OK what the hell happened to this poor woman.

Quote:
I really can't imagine the show without them.
This so much although I would class myself as more of an Evil Regal than a Dearie. Both I do love both.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 AM
Absolute Fan

I like the talk with Kathryn too. Their smiles when they said they were not used to having friends and that they are friends now. I miss them.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbroccs (View Post)
One of my favourite scenes is in 1.06 with Kathryn at the party. That was the first time I seriously asked OK what the hell happened to this poor woman.
This was a great scene. I'm still sad about Regina and Kathryn. I think that a real attempt at friendship between them would have been interesting.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
I like the talk with Kathryn too. Their smiles when they said they were not used to having friends and that they are friends now. I miss them.
Me too and it's also such a shame that Kathryn came back in 1.18 and we only saw her once more after that. In the following episode. Wondering if we will catch a glimpse of her in season 2.

Quote:
This was a great scene. I'm still sad about Regina and Kathryn. I think that a real attempt at friendship between them would have been interesting.
I really enjoyed the glimpse of the friendship between them. Ruining it is something I will never forgive the writers for. And yeah I know it would have been ruined when everyone remembered but could they not just have left it alone and have Regina find some other way of exacting her revenge.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverlight (View Post)
Their smiles when they said they were not used to having friends and that they are friends now.
The bit about not being used to having friends was interesting, I thought. I know Kathryn was talking about Storybrooke, obviously, since she had no memories of her life in the Enchanted Forest. But in the flashbacks Princess Abigail didn't seem to have a lot of friends either, especially compared to someone like Snow. And Cora mentioned other girls while she was complaining about Regina not being married, but I didn't have the impression that Regina would have considered those girls friends. By the time she had become queen and was living at Leopolds court Regina was definitely lonely. There are so many possible parallels between Kathryn and Regina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilkitty
I'm still sad about Regina and Kathryn. I think that a real attempt at friendship between them would have been interesting.
Me too. *sigh* I still hope we'll get to see more of them next season if Anastasia Griffith comes back. So much potential!
Rina ↳ [Tumblr || Art || Icons]
alycia debnam-carey & eliza taylor |
Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilkitty (View Post)

Hi everybody. And welcome, Julie .

I think that Regina and Kathryn could have been good friends. But it didn´t happend. I hope they give Regina a friend in S2 because she never had one .

BRICS
Prayers for 🇷🇺 🙏🕯️
🇵🇸 🕊️#stopIsraelgenocide
Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Absolute Fan

I hope they give her a friend too. A real friend.
I read the Kathryn actress has a new series. Do you think this means Kathryn's story on Ouat is over?