Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Part-Time Fan

credit
Look at that face. They have to keep him
Old 06-28-2012, 05:15 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsybelle (View Post)
I don't think A&E belong together. I kind of think he's more like her brother or cousin. The idea of them being romantic when, as a 7 year old, he was kissing her forehead, is just really weird.
Well it seemed to work pretty well for Philip and Aurora!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiorjiina (View Post)
Much as Sleeping Beauty is my favorite Disney cartoon, my memories of that are mostly of Maleficent, lol. I remember Philip throwing the sword into her, killing her; I remember the fairies, the spindle..............but I don't remember the romance, lol.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:39 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Much as Sleeping Beauty is my favorite Disney cartoon, my memories of that are mostly of Maleficent, lol. I remember Philip throwing the sword into her, killing her; I remember the fairies, the spindle..............but I don't remember the romance, lol.
Right at the beginning they are betrothed to each other when Aurora is a baby in a cradle and Philip is about 6 or 7 years old.

I though it actually turned out to be one of the most believable Disney Romances. And I always liked the fact that the Prince not only got proper lines but actually something to do for once that wasn't just slaying the villain and rescuing the Princess. Even as a child, I liked that.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:27 AM
Absolute Fan

I think it would be more of an issue if August and Emma had actually spent their childhood together in the system or if they'd been raised as quasi siblings for quite some time. But they spent so little time together as children and it's really only August who has any memory of that time in the first place. So, yeah, I don't know... I guess for me it's not much of an issue.

I'll admit that I would prefer to see a honest, well-balanced friendship between them for now simply because I feel there really is no need to force romance on the Emma character at this point when she has so much other stuff to deal with. But if I had to choose between all the possible Emma love interests the writers have come up with by now, I think would prefer August.
Rina ↳ [Tumblr || Art || Icons]
alycia debnam-carey & eliza taylor |
Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda (View Post)
I feel there really is no need to force romance on the Emma character at this point when she has so much other stuff to deal with. But if I had to choose between all the possible Emma love interests the writers have come up with by now, I think would prefer August.
Since the actress said
Spoiler:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see who the lucky guy is. I will hope for August of course
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Passionate Fan

On the like/dislike August issue - I think August lost fans because

1. His true story, while interesting, wasn't as big as several of the theories floating around (that he'd be Bae and/or Henry's father),

2. The way he messed with other characters is held against him (pretending to be Bae to Mr. Gold, trying to manipulate Emma, and manipulating Henry),

3. Running out on Emma (just to say, I really don't hold that one against him. He was seven. I wouldn't stick a seven year old with a two hour babysiting job, much less one that will go on for over two decades),

4. Character shift - Sometimes, it really works to reveal unexpected motivations behind a characters actions. Sometimes, however, it just leaves audiences feeling like they don't know the character. I admit, I've had a bit of this with August. I don't feel as invested in him.

Also, I think we've mostly seen August acting selfishly. I'm willing to like him but I want to see him making some sacrifices and showing he can care about others.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelaine (View Post)
Also, I think we've mostly seen August acting selfishly. I'm willing to like him but I want to see him making some sacrifices and showing he can care about others.
This could be his story for season 2. In my opinion he has already started to
show signs of caring about others, especially Henry. But I agree that it needs to
be shown in a more obvious way, like for example saving someones life or
giving someone genuine affection.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Right at the beginning they are betrothed to each other when Aurora is a baby in a cradle and Philip is about 6 or 7 years old.

I though it actually turned out to be one of the most believable Disney Romances. And I always liked the fact that the Prince not only got proper lines but actually something to do for once that wasn't just slaying the villain and rescuing the Princess. Even as a child, I liked that.
Oh really? How sweet, aww. I want the DVD badly, but Disney has put it in their vault again and so I may have to borrow it from my niece, lol.

I do remember thinking Philip was pretty cool........and I am NOT a princess person at all, but I loved Aurora. I named my car after her, lol.

I'm sorry the writers are going the romance route with Emma because I don't think a woman needs a man and she has a lot to deal with, but on the other hand, the show IS about true love.......and while they do a great job showing all sorts of love (parental, platonic friendship, etc..), True Love in terms of fairy tales is generally the romantic type.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by taragenie (View Post)
Yeah I find this very strange. When they made him a regular mid-season, there were no announcements made about it. People just figured it out when they saw his name in the press releases.
Must admit I didn't know he was a regular till I found out on this board
Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Oh really? How sweet, aww. I want the DVD badly, but Disney has put it in their vault again and so I may have to borrow it from my niece, lol.

I do remember thinking Philip was pretty cool........and I am NOT a princess person at all, but I loved Aurora. I named my car after her, lol.

I'm sorry the writers are going the romance route with Emma because I don't think a woman needs a man and she has a lot to deal with, but on the other hand, the show IS about true love.......and while they do a great job showing all sorts of love (parental, platonic friendship, etc..), True Love in terms of fairy tales is generally the romantic type.
You can see it here. It's from about the 2 mins 30 mark

I'm not sorry they're going the romance route, although I do totally agree that a woman doesn't need a man. I don't think that's why they're doing it though.

They're bringing romance into Emma's life because it's something she's never really allowed herself, because romance means exposing the vulnerable part of yourself to another person and that is certainly something she hasn't done before.

It's more because it's about allowing Emma to put down roots and start exploring aspects of herself that she's never even allowed herself to consider.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:05 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Someone pointed that out on tumblr I think, and I swear they did a photoset or a gif or something comparing that scene in Sleeping Beauty and when Pinocchio was looking at baby Emma, but now I can't find it. It's driving me crazy!

Here's some more of August's handsome face:

credit
Old 06-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Supreme Fan

GUH he looks great there

Icon on LJMargaret♥
Old 06-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritzer (View Post)
Someone pointed that out on tumblr I think, and I swear they did a photoset or a gif or something comparing that scene in Sleeping Beauty and when Pinocchio was looking at baby Emma, but now I can't find it. It's driving me crazy!

Here's some more of August's handsome face:

credit
I can live with this in the mean time.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
You can see it here. It's from about the 2 mins 30 mark

I'm not sorry they're going the romance route, although I do totally agree that a woman doesn't need a man. I don't think that's why they're doing it though.

They're bringing romance into Emma's life because it's something she's never really allowed herself, because romance means exposing the vulnerable part of yourself to another person and that is certainly something she hasn't done before.

It's more because it's about allowing Emma to put down roots and start exploring aspects of herself that she's never even allowed herself to consider.
Thank you! Aww, how cute -this brings back wonderful memories (and Maleficent still rocks).

Good points about Emma and romance....At least I think they'll take it slowly with her and if that's the case, I'm fine with it. I'm guessing whoever her fella is, she won't be looking for love - just a friend - and that's how things will start.

EB has incredible eyes..........not sure who would win, he or Emilie. I'd kill for those baby blues........