Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2016, 05:41 PM
Passionate Fan

I was over on TV Tropes and looked up "Creator's Pet."

Quote:
There are certain characters who receive a lot of hatred from the fanbase for one reason or another. Most often, when their creators pick up on the hate, they have a couple options. They can ignore it, tweak the character into a more likable version, or even play it for laughs. Sometimes, however, the creator(s) have become so attached to this character for whatever reason, whether because they see something of themselves in the character or the character reminds them of someone they were close to or the character represents something they admire, that they decide to increasingly focus on him, magnifying the importance of his role, and having the other characters talk about how awesome he is, in painful ignorance of — or sometimes in spite of — the fans' obvious hatred.

That's the Creator's Pet in a nutshell.

The main characteristic of the Creator's Pet is that the writers' focus on him is detrimental to the show. It's not that the parts featuring this character necessarily suck more than the rest, but that so much effort is being directed to him that it detracts from the quality of the series as a whole. It's as if the writers think that there's nothing more important than browbeating the viewers into falling in love with this one character. And it never works. In fact, shilling a character excessively can cause other characters to be drawn into the hatred.

Keep in mind that this isn't "The Scrappy with a big role", nor is it the Canon Sue, although there's a lot of overlap in both cases. The Creator's Pet is a combination of being:

Hated by fans (The Scrappy)

Loved (or worshipped) by the writers (Creator's Favorite)

Put into big scenes for no reason (Character Focus)

Talked up by the other characters (Character Shilling)
There was more than one character listed under Once Upon a Time. Much to my surprise, one was Rumplestiltskin. It said:

Quote:
Finally, there's Rumplestiltskin / Mr. Gold, who some fans feel has long worn out his welcome by the fifth season and should be considered irredeemable at this point, but who not only continues to stay on the show and in important roles, but more often than not seems to get off scot-free for all of his evil deeds, if not flat-out rewarded with even MORE power.
The reason I'm mentioning that is because it gave me a bit of insight into the non-Rumple fan's dislike of Rumple. On the surface--on the surface--it's a valid complaint--if you believe all Rumple loves is power.

Also, if you have a slanted view of irredeemable (what evil deeds are we talking about? Dying to save the town? Not snuffing out characters like so many candles when they threatened his wife?).

But, that's beside the point.

The point is that I realized one of the big reasons I may not always follow the non-fans' complaints.

To me, it's perfectly clear that what matters most to Rumple (in order) is:

1. The safety/well-being of the people he loves.

2. His relationship with the people he loves.

3. Being able to protect the people he loves.

4. Not being tortured, abused, etc. and being able to protect himself.

By that criteria, Rumple has paid and paid and paid.

His son is dead.

His grandson's view of him has been so twisted, he was willing to trap his stepgrandmother and uncle/aunt in a permanent coma (with nightmare torture) to stop him from removing the curse.

His wife is still in a coma.

His wife may reject him when she gets out of the coma.

He has crystal clear evidence that he can be kidnapped, tortured, and threatened with death--and that the people he cares about can be kidnapped, tortured, and threatened with death--and no one will lift a finger to help him.

But, he has power. Or he does until the next time someone gets hold of the dagger, at which point, its tea and apocalypses all around.

From my POV, he's done nothing but pay.

But, if I believed Rumple's only goal was to get more power and be in one piece at the end of the day, yeah, he hasn't done too badly.

Not sure what's a good summary line. It's an earthshaking distance in how Rumple's character is viewed. It's like watching King Lear and assuming it's all about a guy who's glad to get away from family and go camping on the moors. But, once you make that leap, I can see how you'd think he's living the dream.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:43 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelaine (View Post)
I was over on TV Tropes and looked up "Creator's Pet."

There was more than one character listed under Once Upon a Time. Much to my surprise, one was Rumplestiltskin. It said:

The reason I'm mentioning that is because it gave me a bit of insight into the non-Rumple fan's dislike of Rumple. On the surface--on the surface--it's a valid complaint--if you believe all Rumple loves is power.

Also, if you have a slanted view of irredeemable (what evil deeds are we talking about? Dying to save the town? Not snuffing out characters like so many candles when they threatened his wife?).

But, that's beside the point.

The point is that I realized one of the big reasons I may not always follow the non-fans' complaints.

His son is dead.

His grandson's view of him has been so twisted, he was willing to trap his stepgrandmother and uncle/aunt in a permanent coma (with nightmare torture) to stop him from removing the curse.

He has crystal clear evidence that he can be kidnapped, tortured, and threatened with death--and that the people he cares about can be kidnapped, tortured, and threatened with death--and no one will lift a finger to help him.

But, he has power. Or he does until the next time someone gets hold of the dagger, at which point, its tea and apocalypses all around.

But, if I believed Rumple's only goal was to get more power and be in one piece at the end of the day, yeah, he hasn't done too badly.

Not sure what's a good summary line. It's an earthshaking distance in how Rumple's character is viewed. It's like watching King Lear and assuming it's all about a guy who's glad to get away from family and go camping on the moors. But, once you make that leap, I can see how you'd think he's living the dream.
I disagree on one point, Henry. Now there are many times when I could just bend that boy over my knee, when it comes to his relationship with Rumple. That isn't to say Rumple is blameless here. They both need a trip to the wood shed. But, I have to take up for Henry in this instance. He did not know that ending magic would hurt anyone, including his family. He saw magic as harming the people he loved and acted out of his love for them. So you can lay a lot at Henry's feet, but not this.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamstress90 (View Post)

That stuff really keeps happening to him, doesn't it?
It does , and it's unfair....
Old 09-22-2016, 06:58 AM
Master Fan

Oh my god, what did I start

RoseBennett
Old 09-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

trust you meggy
Old 09-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelaine (View Post)

His son is dead.

I will never understand the Rumple haters. It was Rumple's tragic story that really pulled me into OUAT. You'll never convince me that what he's done is worse than some of the things Cora, Regina, and Zelena have done. But there's no point in arguing. Everybody has their own way of looking at the show, that's become very obvious.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

++
Old 09-23-2016, 04:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

that is great
Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I thought it was a great moment of levity in the episode.

RC has great comedic timing.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Passionate Fan

I think Hook fits that trope more than Rumple but no matter. I did read the article Kelanie and it mentioned another character who was the creator's pet, Daniel Jonas from Days and like Hook, he fits the definition. Regina does as well.

I am sorry I have been absent. I have been on the couples fandom a few times. I am just not looking forward to this season. I am tired of the angst and the injustice that goes on on this show especially where Rumple is concerned. There are shows I am counting the days to return and this isn't it and that is sad because it used to be just the opposite. I do have some hope for Rumple and I do still love some of the characters even though I may be angry at some of them. I am still a diehard dearie and I always will be. I go back and forth on Belle, loving her and not loving the way she is written same with Rumple. I love them both but I wish Belle would keep Red, Granny, and Leroy as friends and not hang out with the rest.

Did you guys do the gif contest? I am sorry I missed it but I am still torn between baby Rumple and Goldstiltskin! I love them all!

Anyway, I have been reading a lot of fanfic and I wanted to recommend this one since it involves everyone especially Emma and Rumple. It is a canon au where Emma saves Rumple from the witch and they go to the town where Pete's dragon takes place. They eventually come back to SB to face the witch and Rumple not only develops a friendship with Emma but teaches her magic. Emma is strong in this one and has the same sense of right and wrong that she had pre season 3. Here is the link!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1197301...oddy-Impromptu

I am going to dvr the show and watch it later or do a marathon. I haven't decided yet. I will definitely see you guys back here after the premier!

here are a couple articles I found that I thought you might be interested in!

http://thebestpoll.com/the-most-hand...he-world-2016/

Robert Carlyle is on the 3rd page!

https://voiceoftv.com/post/voice-of-...unders-of-2015

Number 5 is criticizing Zelena and the Dark Swan arc based on fan reactions! they are spot on!

Last edited by Grace52373; 09-23-2016 at 12:23 PM Reason: added to post
Old 09-23-2016, 12:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
I thought it was a great moment of levity in the episode.

RC has great comedic timing.
he sure has, love when we see that
Old 09-23-2016, 07:15 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace52373 (View Post)
here are a couple articles I found that I thought you might be interested in!

The Most Handsome Men in the World 2016 | TheBestPoll

Robert Carlyle is on the 3rd page!
I think it depends on what you're viewing it on. It was the 5th page for me. I have to say, I don't like the picture they used for him. That's one of my least favorite photos I've ever seen of him.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:54 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnki (View Post)
I think it depends on what you're viewing it on. It was the 5th page for me. I have to say, I don't like the picture they used for him. That's one of my least favorite photos I've ever seen of him.
You're right. I think they are afraid of how sexy he is and picked the worst picture they could find, in an attempt to level the playing field.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Most definitely..
Old 09-24-2016, 01:04 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, it's not the best pic.. And it's from when they were filming the first season, so it's not even recent. Interesting choice indeed..

icon by me