Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2016, 08:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I still have trouble understanding his fear of going to the Uw is why he became the Do. If emma succeeded he wouldn't go the Uw if she didn't then he would still to the Uw that confusres me

I think he took it cause he's an addict and addicts do slip. It's not suprising for mr

Last edited by fox24; 01-13-2016 at 08:55 PM
Old 01-13-2016, 09:23 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
I still have trouble understanding his fear of going to the Uw is why he became the Do. If emma succeeded he wouldn't go the Uw if she didn't then he would still to the Uw that confusres me

I think he took it cause he's an addict and addicts do slip. It's not suprising for mr
I am going to disagree with you Fox. The writers said, he didn't take the curse on because he was an addict or because of the power. They were very specific about that and set out to correct the judgment the journalists had. They at first said he grabbed it as a loophole to avoid the UW but than they recently said there was more motivation behind it but not addiction or power. They said that right out and they have been very positive towards Rumple and Belle in their interviews.

Another point, if Emma failed, which she probably would have because you cannot destroy darkness or light, he would not have gone to the UW because he is immortal and he probably would have found a way to stop the others from going. Rumple isn't stupid and he has had centuries of study, especially study of magic and loopholes to figure out a plan.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:31 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I'm not sure I totally understand your confusion, but here's my interpretation of the situation. I don't think there's much doubt that his fear of the Underworld is why he became the Dark One. His description of the Underworld made that pretty clear. Yes, if Emma succeeded, they wouldn't have gone presumably, but he did not expect her to succeed. By having the power of the Dark One again, he knew the magic would allow him to escape going. Now he's choosing to go along for reasons yet unexplained, but he's going as the Dark One, not powerless as he would have been if Emma had failed and he hadn't taken the power.

Last edited by linnki; 01-13-2016 at 09:40 PM
Old 01-14-2016, 02:51 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace52373 (View Post)
I am going to disagree with you Fox. The writers said, he didn't take the curse on because he was an addict or because of the power. They were very specific about that and set out to correct the judgment the journalists had. They at first said he grabbed it as a loophole to avoid the UW but than they recently said there was more motivation behind it but not addiction or power. They said that right out and they have been very positive towards Rumple and Belle in their interviews.

Another point, if Emma failed, which she probably would have because you cannot destroy darkness or light, he would not have gone to the UW because he is immortal and he probably would have found a way to stop the others from going. Rumple isn't stupid and he has had centuries of study, especially study of magic and loopholes to figure out a plan.
I don't think he had anyone in mind but himself when he did the trick to take back the curse, but the writers did say it was out of fear. He didn't believe Emma would succeed and didn't want to go back to the UW.

RoseBennett
Old 01-14-2016, 03:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelaine (View Post)

So, Rumple took in all the power of those Dark Ones but he also took in what was left of Merlin's power. If the dagger was reformed, was it reformed from both halves of Excalibur?

The story right now seems to support that Rumple is the Dark One again. But, what if he isn't? What if the magic he took back isn't dark?
Now that would be a great twist

Old 01-14-2016, 04:20 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnki (View Post)
I'm not sure I totally understand your confusion, but here's my interpretation of the situation. I don't think there's much doubt that his fear of the Underworld is why he became the Dark One. His description of the Underworld made that pretty clear. Yes, if Emma succeeded, they wouldn't have gone presumably, but he did not expect her to succeed. By having the power of the Dark One again, he knew the magic would allow him to escape going. Now he's choosing to go along for reasons yet unexplained, but he's going as the Dark One, not powerless as he would have been if Emma had failed and he hadn't taken the power.
Yep. Rumple even told Emma that her plan might not work. He didn't want to take that risk.

I do think his addiction also had a part in it. Or at least I saw the pattern (and the writers did say he likes the power). Rumple was like a recovering addict in 5a; we saw him rejecting the power a couple of times (when he threw Excalibur away in 5x06 and when he didn't kill Hook in 5x10 for example). He did want to stop and just spend the rest of his life with the woman he loves. But then he was caused more pain and fear (he thought he had lost Belle forever and Hook was going to send him forever to the UW) than he could bear, so he relapsed.

icon by me

Last edited by Seamstress90; 01-14-2016 at 04:42 AM
Old 01-14-2016, 04:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

One of my faves moments of 5a is when he pulled Excalibur from the stone and then threw it away...

Old 01-14-2016, 04:41 AM
Elite Fan

Indeed! It was such a glorious moment for Rumple.

icon by me
Old 01-14-2016, 05:59 AM
Passionate Fan

I am just going by what the writers said and nowhere did they say he took it for power or because of addiction. I guess people can look at it as a relapse, but I am not a addict and I would do what I had to do to avoid going! Rumple is good with loopholes and I doubt he would want anybody having to go there so I don't know. I need more facts before I come down on any side of this.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:36 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_diamond (View Post)
Now that would be a great twist
I posted this a few days ago, but it's relevant again, so:

My dagger theory is that Rumple has all the Darkness from the Dark Ones, but I firmly believe he also has whatever inherent light magic exists in Excalibur. Remember that before Merlin turned it into a sword, it was a goblet out of which only the worthy could drink…… The dagger isn’t the same anymore, IMO, and I don’t just mean physically;

As Eddy said when asked why the dagger looks different:

Quote:
I believe that is because when he stole the Dark power from everybody and put it into a new dagger, we’re seeing the effects of the merged, re-formed Excalibur reverting back into a dagger.
I think the dagger may have some light magical properties as well.

Even if I’m off, I feel like Excalibur is so powerful that it has to have an affect……..the dagger can’t be the same…….just like Rumple is not the same. I think maybe Rumple and the dagger almost reflect each other. He’s the Dark One now, with the darkness and power of the Dark Ones, but he’s also a good man and pure of heart - and a hero. In other words, he’s a mix - like the dagger.

Quote:
One of my faves moments of 5a is when he pulled Excalibur from the stone and then threw it away..
Not just 5A, but the entire series....... When he pulled Excalibur from the stone, Rumple had a look of sheer awe, like he couldn't believe what he did; it was a beautiful moment.
Quote:
I am just going by what the writers said and nowhere did they say he took it for power or because of addiction. I guess people can look at it as a relapse, but I am not a addict and I would do what I had to do to avoid going! Rumple is good with loopholes and I doubt he would want anybody having to go there so I don't know. I need more facts before I come down on any side of this.
I really don't know why people keep saying he took it for power, but so be it; I'm with you....He took the curse back out of fear and because he was grieving Belle....and for other motives. He didn't spend 4B trying to get rid of his power, after having lost it all, only to want it back.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

My confusion is if emm failed than the darkness wouldn't have been transfered to himself.

I get his fear of the Uw but I am trying to understand the plan.

Last edited by fox24; 01-14-2016 at 07:41 AM
Old 01-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
My confusion is if emm failed than the darkness wouldn't have been transfered to himself

I get his fear of the Uw but I am trying to understand the plan
That, my dear, is the big question. Unfortunately, we have to wait until March to get it answered.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:39 AM
Master Fan

I think the idea was that Emma had channeled the darkness to herself as planned and then got Regina to kill her. What he wasn't sure it would work was the last part, Regina being able to use excalibur to kill her and eliminate the darkness or Emma going through with it when she got all that darkness inside of her.

So the plan was to channel the darkness to himself instead of Emma therefore saving him from going to the UW because he wouldn't be dragged there like Emma wouldn't have because she was the DO at that moment.

RoseBennett
Old 01-14-2016, 07:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks Meg
Old 01-14-2016, 09:19 AM
Elite Fan

Exactly Meggy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsybelle (View Post)
I really don't know why people keep saying he took it for power, but so be it; I'm with you....He took the curse back out of fear and because he was grieving Belle....and for other motives. He didn't spend 4B trying to get rid of his power, after having lost it all, only to want it back.
Why? Because the writers and Bobby have been describing Rumple as "addicted" since S2. Because Rumple himself said in S2 that magic has become a crutch he can't walk without, and in S4 that he's a man that always chooses his power. Because the writers actually said that he took the power back because he likes being the Dark One (aka he likes the power). So yes, I definitely think he's supposed to be seen as a recovering addict. I really don't understand how he wouldn't be. It's so obvious. And it doesn't mean that he loves power more than he loves Belle. I think the events of 5a showed that he does love her more. But he still has a long way to go. Wanting to stop and actually stopping are different things (I think Bobby also said something like that about Rumple pretty recently).

But I do think that fear was the biggest reason he took the power back.

And he wasn't trying to get rid of the power in 4b, he was just trying to reverse the "darkening" of his heart. Hence he was the Light One in the AU.

icon by me