Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

New Girl Season 3 General Discussion #1

New Girl Season 3
General Discussion Thread #1

Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This is a "thanks but no thanks" season for me.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT! I liked this season, and I might be one of the few on this board who did
Old 10-21-2016, 01:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ||michelle|| (View Post)
TFTNT! I liked this season, and I might be one of the few on this board who did
You might be At least currently.

I have really big issues with this season, it lacked in so many things that made me love NG in the first place. however first and foremost reason is that I didn't even laugh the whole season. For a comedy show that should be given I guess. I mean you should keep the comedy at least even tho there is drama, reverse growth etc. There are barely 3 or 4 episodes that I liked in the whole season. And as a whole episode maybe 2. So before anything else I put this out here as a discussion point. This season lacked in comedy imo. Way later after the season ended I rewatched knowing what was gonna happen and all and I still had to pick my scenes. But I don't hate the season as I used to. Because every show kinda have this back gear. Especially in 3rd seasons. IDK why but it happens with most of the shows in 3rd seasons.

I would love to get in detail as to why I didn't like this season, but later.

Would you like to discuss as to why you liked it? Because of Nick&Jess I assume but what else?
Old 10-21-2016, 03:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Tftnt

EC | ADC

Movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movies (View Post)
Tftnt

You don't like Season 3 as well Markus? Or did I misunderstand you on the other thread?
Old 10-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessismore (View Post)
You might be At least currently.

I have really big issues with this season, it lacked in so many things that made me love NG in the first place. however first and foremost reason is that I didn't even laugh the whole season. For a comedy show that should be given I guess. I mean you should keep the comedy at least even tho there is drama, reverse growth etc. There are barely 3 or 4 episodes that I liked in the whole season. And as a whole episode maybe 2. So before anything else I put this out here as a discussion point. This season lacked in comedy imo. Way later after the season ended I rewatched knowing what was gonna happen and all and I still had to pick my scenes. But I don't hate the season as I used to. Because every show kinda have this back gear. Especially in 3rd seasons. IDK why but it happens with most of the shows in 3rd seasons.

I would love to get in detail as to why I didn't like this season, but later.

Would you like to discuss as to why you liked it? Because of Nick&Jess I assume but what else?
Oh yeah, and looking through the episode guides on IMDB (as I'm doing now ) I did like this season, but it's in no way my favourite..maybe my least now that I really think about it. But I still liked it, I don't know! (my brain is so fried atm, I apologize!)

But outside of NJ, I loved when Coach returned, ofc!! There was so great friendship scenes..I'm going to have to answer this better tomorrow because I'm too tired right now to give a good answer
Old 10-22-2016, 07:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ||michelle|| (View Post)
Oh yeah, and looking through the episode guides on IMDB (as I'm doing now ) I did like this season, but it's in no way my favourite..maybe my least now that I really think about it. But I still liked it, I don't know! (my brain is so fried atm, I apologize!)

But outside of NJ, I loved when Coach returned, ofc!! There was so great friendship scenes..I'm going to have to answer this better tomorrow because I'm too tired right now to give a good answer
Oh I understand what you mean. Tho it's really everyone's least fave.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:22 PM
Loyal Fan

This is one of my favorite scenes ever!
although I would not get up in a good mood like she did. I probably would want to kill one of them

marinaspereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love that they sang for her but probably I'd kill all
Old 10-24-2016, 12:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Before I read all the negative critics about Season 3 and NJ as a couple I was thinking I was alone not liking the season and the couple. Then Kat joined here and I've realized there might be other people who thinks like me

How “New Girl” Lost Its Way and Found Itself Again
Following an underwhelming third season, the Fox comedy has creatively rebounded in Season 4 by telling simpler, funnier stories

Quote:
No one would dispute that New Girl lost its way in Season 3 — not even the show’s executive producers. “We obviously struggled last year,” creator Elizabeth Meriwether told BuzzFeed News, sitting on the couch in her simply decorated, desk-free office on the Fox lot in Los Angeles with her fellow executive producers. “I think one of the show’s strengths is that it’s always been able to go to a million different places and do a million different things, but the problem with that is sometimes when we take a big swing and miss, you really feel the pain of that.”
Quote:
The reaction to the Schmidt thing totally took me by surprise,” Baer added. “That was a learning experience for all of us about what the show is to the audience. The audience wanted something from the show that didn’t take them to this darker place that dealt with unseemly things. The show wants to be a wish fulfillment thing about a group of friends who band together and the fracture between them wasn’t helping.”
Typically, television writers have time to course-correct their respective shows, thanks to the nature of production and a weekly broadcast model, but a pair of time-consuming logistical developments made that impossible. First, Fox awarded New Girl with 2014’s coveted post-Super Bowl episode and tapped Prince to guest star in the installment. “It took three and a half months to put that episode together,” Finkel said. “It was like running an entire show within another show because it took so much energy.”
Quote:
The second development was the return of Damon Wayans Jr., who played Coach in the show’s pilot episode, but was unable to continue on the show once ABC renewed Happy Endings; Wayans’ role was written out and Lamorne Morris’ Winston was instead introduced. Wayans was brought back originally for a one-episode guest spot in Season 3, but his time on the show grew until he was officially brought back full-time.
“We were, of course, excited to have him back full-time, but we hadn’t done any pre-planning for that,” Baer said. “All of a sudden we were incorporating a new cast member into the loft and playing catch-up. It reminded me of what we had to do in learning who Lamorne was as a performer and Winston was as a character on the fly, because we didn’t have the time to know what that was organically.”
That catch-up — pairing Coach with different characters and characteristics every episode — led to supersized scripts that the producers considered coherent and funny — but were far too long. With commercial breaks factored in, an episode of New Girl must run exactly 21 minutes and 35 seconds long, but the writers didn’t think about that until it came time to edit the episodes.
“What happened was we would shoot a script we felt great about and then we’d have to cut large chunks out of it,” Meriwether said. “So everything made less sense and was less funny because when you’re in the editing room, the first thing that goes are the jokes — they’re not essential to the story. So it was very frustrating trying to make everybody fit into every episode.”
The combination of all those elements resulted in a very dark time for Meriwether. “At the end of last year I was at a real low point,” she said. “I directed the Season 3 finale — which was the first time I’ve ever directed anything — and we threw out the script after the table read. And then we threw out another version of the script on Thursday when we were supposed to start shooting on Monday. We threw it out because it was originally this episode where we were really dealing with the breakup. It was a bummer and it was heavy and it wasn’t funny and it was a culmination of the problem we’d been having all year. Our hearts were in the right place, but it just wasn’t funny. It was kind of like, Ugh, how did we get here?”
After the Season 3 finale aired in May 2014, Meriwether and her team took a much-needed break from the show in order to reflect. During the summer hiatus, each of the executive producers — individually — came to the same conclusion: The show had to get back to its basics.
Quote:
“We had to focus on Jess trying to find love,” Meriwether said. “That’s where the initial impetus for the show had been.” The second objective was to tell simpler stories. “I got a little lost in all of the arcs last year,” she said. “And something that’s actually helped all of the relationships is to get away from doing stories about the relationships and do stories about funny things and let the relationships play inside those stories.”

“I was thinking back to the wedding episode in Season 1 where they’re all doing the chicken dance,” Meriwether continued. “To me, I remember working on that episode and thinking, This is the show. And what was that about? It was this John Hughes-y, us against the world feeling and that is where I want the show to live. So this year, we started to tell stories where our characters were not in conflict with each other. They’re stories of them all, as friends, pushing back against the world.”
Good read.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

There were definitely cute memorable moments from S3 too.
I love the finale episode but also I love Jess Birthday episode.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

There was!

I loved Jess's Birthday episode so much!!
Old 10-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I will write my fave moments later
Old 10-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'll try to think of mine as well and write them!