Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Loyal Fan

I agree with everything you're saying about HIMYM. I shipped TR a little but the show seemed to be rooting against them. I wasn't surprised at the ending (the blue French horn, ted's story being about Robin, mainly) but I was surprised at how rushed it all felt. I was confused why they'd spend an entire SEASON on a wedding weekend only to divorce them in one quick, three minute scene. I understood but still... I will always love HIMYM though. The scene with Barney and his daughter though, THAT'S when I cried tbh. It felt more full circle than the rest of the show.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatB (View Post)
Realistic for TR to end up together after years of showing us why they couldn't work. Also Robin showed zero interest in Ted since season two. Anyway, just had to get that out. Is divorce realistic sure but we don't want to see divorce or death on a finale, especially. Sorry, just had to get that out. I also agree that Ted was lame until they introduced the mom.
Get it out ofc I totally understand and agree with you... BUT what I meant that it was uber realistic in a way that life is not what you expect from it. People falling apart, falling out of love, divorcing, ending with the guy/woman they least expected or never wanted, losing their loves of lives either way (death-breaking up) and some people just finding their one and only very early in life and growing old together, etc... Also Ted being the "lead" character and the narrator of the show, I think, it was obvious from the telling of the story that TR was gonna end together. Not to mention as I said earlier that so many writers are obssessed with their pilot-series finale parallels In HIMYM's case they even shot the finale scene with kids back then in season 1. Did it work as a satisfying ending? A big NO! Because comedy shows require comedy not this much fast paced drama over drama however it is realistic. Comedy shows would make people cry while laughing. The same issue NG writers had in S3. It was so dramatic too. It was not even funny to begin with. And my rant about S3 won't end too I guess however the Season 4 saved the show

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia in wonderland (View Post)
I agree with everything you're saying about HIMYM. I shipped TR a little but the show seemed to be rooting against them. I wasn't surprised at the ending (the blue French horn, ted's story being about Robin, mainly) but I was surprised at how rushed it all felt. I was confused why they'd spend an entire SEASON on a wedding weekend only to divorce them in one quick, three minute scene. I understood but still... I will always love HIMYM though. The scene with Barney and his daughter though, THAT'S when I cried tbh. It felt more full circle than the rest of the show.
Absolutely! It is important that what is told and shown are matching on screen. Otherwise it is not the way story is going. NORMALLY! For instance, I loved TR at the beginning but with everything being told and shown that it seemed Robin really didn't love Ted the way he loves her, she moved on many times, Ted couldn't, he jsut could at the end with the mother, and they actually did not fit at all by any means but they were great friends, however Ted's love to her continued and being told ALL SERIES LONG. He carried the torch all through the series long. Robin carried it like last 3 minutes of the show. And what they really told and showed that Robin really loved Barney, they were great fits with every means, Barney progressed a lot, Robin progressed a lot and they have became one! But what they did at the end? They did the opposite of what is shown and told, they only went for what is told not exactly shown, and went for a fast paced everything. IA so much about that. They made people to invest in BR's wedding, in TT's love etc and they made a u turn in the last minute. Ok divorce even can be, hell kill the mother ok, BUT then what they did? They made it like Ted was even degrading his love for his late wife whom the audience fell in love too. Then what they did? They made Barney have a daughter and change for her, with ONE THING Robin could not give him or to anybody else. How CRUEL are all these tbh? It makes me furious Barney with the baby was the best scene for me, definitely. The best scene! I cried the hell out at that scene. But then the ending with children giving permission to Ted about Robin and seeing that 6 years passed and they were ok with it where as the audience was still crying the hell out to mother's death felt SO TACKY! It made me furious tbh. This all could be still executed but with an execution like this it all felt bad tbh, so bad and so fast paced. They almost undid everything they did for the series long. So I prefer the alternative ending with Barney and Robin looking each other hopeful at TT's wedding and mother never dies because I absolutely adored her. Thank god ML stayed together, love them so much too But I also did not like how they matched their parents too. It was yucky.

Last edited by lessismore; 06-10-2015 at 10:59 PM
Old 06-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Master Fan

I agree with most of what was said and the ending for me wasn't a complete surprise. I actually went into watching the finale with dread. I'm sure that's not entertainment. Anyway, while they had on one hand set up TR in the pilot, they spent nine years telling us why they wouldn't work. So why would I think that this time would be different? Ted has almost worshiped Robin for nine years but Robin, I'm not sure if she even loved Ted. She only dated him for a year and I think that was just because he wore her down. So she wanted to try. I think she wanted to love him. It's actually a sad story. It also makes Ted to be a dope who can't move on. They also established that BR even when they were with other people, they can't keep their hands off each other. Also Ted and Barney are best friends so they still hang out. So how can Robin be with Ted and hang with Barney when earlier in the finale she said that it was too hard. Which btw, was never a problem for Robin when it came to Ted. Also, they also ruined Robin and Lily's friendship in the finale. Really?! They really did ignore a lot of what they wrote for the sake of their vision. That being said, I do like drama in my comedy and they did it well. Two other comedies that were filled with drama that are on the top of my list are Boy Meets World and Sports Night. Love this discussion by the way.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I agree with most of what was said and the ending for me wasn't a complete surprise. I actually went into watching the finale with dread. I'm sure that's not entertainment. Anyway, while they had on one hand set up TR in the pilot, they spent nine years telling us why they wouldn't work. So why would I think that this time would be different? Ted has almost worshiped Robin for nine years but Robin, I'm not sure if she even loved Ted. She only dated him for a year and I think that was just because he wore her down. So she wanted to try. I think she wanted to love him. It's actually a sad story. It also makes Ted to be a dope who can't move on. They also established that BR even when they were with other people, they can't keep their hands off each other. Also Ted and Barney are best friends so they still hang out. So how can Robin be with Ted and hang with Barney when earlier in the finale she said that it was too hard. Which btw, was never a problem for Robin when it came to Ted. Also, they also ruined Robin and Lily's friendship in the finale. Really?! They really did ignore a lot of what they wrote for the sake of their vision. That being said, I do like drama in my comedy and they did it well. Two other comedies that were filled with drama that are on the top of my list are Boy Meets World and Sports Night. Love this discussion by the way.
I am glad you like the discussion dear I have so many rants if you'd like to read

I love drama in my comedy too but I think what they did at the end was über dramatic for a comedy. and it did not work especially being very fast paced. For instance I adore Robin's infertility episode. It was dramatic too but better written than the finale in comparison. IA with all other things you said as well but I think what they tried to show that now that both of them had whatever they wanted from life now they are different people and can be together. For Robin I don't think she loved Ted the way he loved her, as you said maybe she did not love him at all, and I don't think Ted was her great love but she settled for him finally. Why she wouldn't settle with Barney is a question in my head. As I said earlier in my version BR raise that little girl together Also, I think making people end where they started is so cruel and it is what they did to Robin. Like being childless-single (infertile or not) and wanting to be a world known reporter, wanting to have a career instead is something a woman cannot want and if you want that life you'd end at where you started. This is the actual message I get. It felt like they changed Robin's strong character into someone who would settle because she had all the career and needs to settle. Like she ever needed some man, she was the opposite of her previous self who wouldn't need a man. It was sad imo. I like the blue horn and Robin looking from the window with dogs parallel with the pilot actually (well you know I love parallels lol) but they dismissed everything they did in order to make that one parallel. And it just does not feel right whatever the writers would say about their envision. Writers are stubborn to realize their SLs while not considering how it would effect the audience. But in contemporary TV world audience is more involved in "TV" more than ever imo. They just gotta restore a balance imo.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:43 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessismore (View Post)
I am glad you like the discussion dear I have so many rants if you'd like to read

I love drama in my comedy too but I think what they did at the end was über dramatic for a comedy. and it did not work especially being very fast paced. For instance I adore Robin's infertility episode. It was dramatic too but better written than the finale in comparison. IA with all other things you said as well but I think what they tried to show that now that both of them had whatever they wanted from life now they are different people and can be together. For Robin I don't think she loved Ted the way he loved her, as you said maybe she did not love him at all, and I don't think Ted was her great love but she settled for him finally. Why she wouldn't settle with Barney is a question in my head. As I said earlier in my version BR raise that little girl together Also, I think making people end where they started is so cruel and it is what they did to Robin. Like being childless-single (infertile or not) and wanting to be a world known reporter, wanting to have a career instead is something a woman cannot want and if you want that life you'd end at where you started. This is the actual message I get. It felt like they changed Robin's strong character into someone who would settle because she had all the career and needs to settle. Like she ever needed some man, she was the opposite of her previous self who wouldn't need a man. It was sad imo. I like the blue horn and Robin looking from the window with dogs parallel with the pilot actually (well you know I love parallels lol) but they dismissed everything they did in order to make that one parallel. And it just does not feel right whatever the writers would say about their envision. Writers are stubborn to realize their SLs while not considering how it would effect the audience. But in contemporary TV world audience is more involved in "TV" more than ever imo. They just gotta restore a balance imo.
I totally agree. I may expound later. Want to watch something right quit and I'll stew on this but I do remember in college we were told to know you audience. In other words if it's teenage boys don't write a hallmark movie. They totally miss judged the audience and also they straight up lied to us. That is probably what hurt the most. In interviews and panels they would talk about BR and how they planned this and the last season was for the fans and blah blah. Really, it was for you. You don't care about the fans. I say that not because I have to have everything my way. I have lived with disappointing stories before but this was a classic bait and switch. Plain and simple and people called them on it. I mean, this was nine years of deception. Taking them on their word, they planned this from day one. I will never watch another show that they have creative control over. Okay, off to watch a good show.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I totally agree. I may expound later. Want to watch something right quit and I'll stew on this but I do remember in college we were told to know you audience. In other words if it's teenage boys don't write a hallmark movie. They totally miss judged the audience and also they straight up lied to us. That is probably what hurt the most. In interviews and panels they would talk about BR and how they planned this and the last season was for the fans and blah blah. Really, it was for you. You don't care about the fans. I say that not because I have to have everything my way. I have lived with disappointing stories before but this was a classic bait and switch. Plain and simple and people called them on it. I mean, this was nine years of deception. Taking them on their word, they planned this from day one. I will never watch another show that they have creative control over. Okay, off to watch a good show.
Oh that is terrible! They must have really dismissed the audience. I had no idea they lied to the audience, that even makes me more furious. That is even more cruel and wrong. They gotta be real and honest with the audience. They make people invest in stories and then rip everything off suddenly. That is so cruel. I hope we never live that with NG. As I said earlier I wanna believe to them when they say Schmece is forever. I hope they won't screw us up again. It would devastate me. I don't think or feel that way but you'd never know with these people. some learn their lesson but some are really stubborn.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:27 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Oh that is terrible! They must have really dismissed the audience. I had no idea they lied to the audience, that even makes me more furious. That is even more cruel and wrong. They gotta be real and honest with the audience. They make people invest in stories and then rip everything off suddenly. That is so cruel. I hope we never live that with NG. As I said earlier I wanna believe to them when they say Schmece is forever. I hope they won't screw us up again. It would devastate me. I don't think or feel that way but you'd never know with these people. some learn their lesson but some are really stubborn.
Some are too stubborn for their own good. I do think Liz can be trusted. I may be too trusting but..... I do think the fact that they got SCC together and engaged in the finale, something they didn't have to do, gives them points. They did say that they wanted to reassure the audience and I am going to take them at their word. Whenever I think about HIMYM, I just remind myself of Cobie and when she was asked about Robin's future her answer had BR together. It was one of those what do you think happens to Robin things that was posted before the finale. But still she didn't have to include Barney in her answer. Also Neil's fav moment on the show was his wedding vows. So I know that in their hearts, BR would be together.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Some are too stubborn for their own good. I do think Liz can be trusted. I may be too trusting but..... I do think the fact that they got SCC together and engaged in the finale, something they didn't have to do, gives them points. They did say that they wanted to reassure the audience and I am going to take them at their word. Whenever I think about HIMYM, I just remind myself of Cobie and when she was asked about Robin's future her answer had BR together. It was one of those what do you think happens to Robin things that was posted before the finale. But still she didn't have to include Barney in her answer. Also Neil's fav moment on the show was his wedding vows. So I know that in their hearts, BR would be together.
That is so sweet It must have been difficult for them too I guess...

I am so sad to learn Christopher Lee's passing away RIP Saruman. I mean I hate Saruman but he was an amazing actor, such an iconic man imo.

Christopher Lee Was Only Lord of the Rings Star to Meet J.R.R. Tolkien - Us Weekly
Old 06-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Master Fan

I can only imagine it was. Then they have to go out and sell the show. They also can't express their true distain for the story line. That wouldn't go over well. No one wants to hear an actor talk bad about their show or what they didn't like. Plus they probably liked Craig and Carter. Tough spot.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I can only imagine it was. Then they have to go out and sell the show. They also can't express their true distain for the story line. That wouldn't go over well. No one wants to hear an actor talk bad about their show or what they didn't like. Plus they probably liked Craig and Carter. Tough spot.
Maybe they mention it way later; but they gotta sell the show as you said even if they like it or not it is their job. Writers and actors can say everything to sell their shows. The decent one is to keep it honest, at least as much as it can be.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:31 PM
Master Fan

I agree. I was listening to Amy from the Gilmore panel and she said she would let the show tell her where the story went. I love when writers do that. Some of the best writers let the story go where it goes. A good writer doesn't write the ending before the middle or they begin the story.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Gilmore felt more realistic than other series imo. Like DC. There was not "out of the top" characters as I remember. Barney is an out of the top character if you ask me. So it adds some hightened sense of reality to the show. Also In HIMYM's case it was really different imo while Ted was narrating his love for Robin for all series long, and Robin & Barney loving each other on screen. As I said before what they have told and shown was totally different. The way they wrote BR always came stronger at the end so it was really unbelievable to see they divorced like that.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:28 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Gilmore felt more realistic than other series imo. Like DC. There was not "out of the top" characters as I remember. Barney is an out of the top character if you ask me. So it adds some hightened sense of reality to the show. Also In HIMYM's case it was really different imo while Ted was narrating his love for Robin for all series long, and Robin & Barney loving each other on screen. As I said before what they have told and shown was totally different. The way they wrote BR always came stronger at the end so it was really unbelievable to see they divorced like that.
I agree. But HIMYM could get away with being a little over the top because of the structure of the show. Because Ted is telling the story, we expect a little exaggeration. Like the rehearsal dinner. It couldn't have happened exactly like that but it happened just not like that. Amy wanted the show to come off like real life. So that's why it came across like that. I watched Rory's Birthday Parties last night. When Emily realizes that she doesn't know her own daughter it was heartbreaking.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I agree. But HIMYM could get away with being a little over the top because of the structure of the show. Because Ted is telling the story, we expect a little exaggeration. Like the rehearsal dinner. It couldn't have happened exactly like that but it happened just not like that. Amy wanted the show to come off like real life. So that's why it came across like that. I watched Rory's Birthday Parties last night. When Emily realizes that she doesn't know her own daughter it was heartbreaking.
Sure. HIMYM is a comedy at the end.

I don't remember what happened with Gilmore Girls. I need a rewatch too I guess
Old 06-14-2015, 04:10 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Sure. HIMYM is a comedy at the end.

I don't remember what happened with Gilmore Girls. I need a rewatch too I guess
My that list of yours must be getting mighty long. Just remember to talk about it with us and if you like the new shows.....Well, you know who to thank.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread