Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

Back in the Saddle Again (3x18) Episode Discussion ~ Airs April 18, 2014!

[made by Juliana]

3x18: Back in the Saddle Again
April 18, 2014 @ 9:00 p.m.

EPISODE DESCRIPTION:
Zoe (Rachel Bilson) and Lemon (Jaime King) seem to find some common ground and turn to each other for some much needed girlfriend advice. Wade (Wilson Bethel) is excited to take Vivian (guest star Lauren Bittner) out for a nice night out, but when her ex-husband begins texting her, Wade becomes suspicious of her exes’ true intentions. Lavon (Cress Williams) has the opportunity to bid to have the County Fair in BlueBell, but he loses focus when learns that AnnaBeth (Kaitlyn Black) is now dating. Meanwhile, Magnolia (guest star Claudia Lee) concocts a plan to get Brick (Tim Matheson) away from his house to throw a party. Scott Porter also stars.

PROMOS!

RULES!
1. Since some people may not be a fan of your certain ship, try not to insult other ships, just stick to the one you like and be positive, please.
2. No bashing of characters/actors.
3. We know you won't like everything about the episode, but try and be constructive when you are critiquing something. Don't just say 'GOD THIS SUCKED'.
4. No talk of illegal downloading, asking or commenting about it. Any posts with that topic will be deleted. Please use PMs for links to live streams and such.
5. Thank you, and enjoy the episode!

Old 04-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Rachel Bilson

Thanks Juliana!

~"She isn't just some girl. Not to me." -Cappie
~"Because for some odd reason, you are the one she is supposed to be with. It's the end of the world Cappie, what are you going to do?" - Ashleigh
Cadenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Extreme Fan

I was just watching 1x18 to look for parallels to this week's episode. It was the bachelorette party and "locked and loaded weekend" in which we meet Jesse Kinsella, George finds out about Lemon and Lavon, and Wade has a meltdown. One of the best episodes in Season 1, I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to reexperience the early magic of HOD.
In 3x18 Lemon and Zoe have storylines together which was a highlight of 1x18.
Hon-ay 1x11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

You're welcome Cathy! and Jill, I hope this episode is as good as 1x18, but idk
Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 AM
Extreme Fan

This AM I watched 2x18. It was the spring break episode in which Zoe has a "date" with Jonah so that's a parallel with the date Zoe has with the bicyclist. In that episode Jonah has one of the best funny lines of 3 seasons of HOD when he tells George he is as dull as a leaf eating animal. It was at the RJ when George told Jonah he wasn't a fan and Jonah said his words cut but he was too dull for his comment to hurt. It is much funnier in playback than I am making it here.
In looking for possible parallels, Wade was massively selfless when he took his hands off the boat at the same time as Lemon so maybe he will be massively selfless in 3x18 if he gives up Vivian for the sake of her family.
Zoe showed great concern for Brick in arranging him to have the MRI so maybe she will do something medically in this episode.
In 218 most of the characters were better versions of themselves in my opinion
(Wade, Lemon giving permission to AB to go after Lavon, even Ruby was helpful and then left)so I hope that parallel continues.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Loyal Fan

Oh my 1x18, the horror.... The episode that had literally the worst lighting in all three season of HOD combined . Storywise it was good though, we learned a lot more about Wade and there was WZ movement, as wll as some GL and LL drama. I love/hate that episode so much, WZ all over, but so bad aesthetically I have a hard time looking at it.

If we refer to 2x18 maybe somebody will do something to get Zoe out of her horrible date like George tried to do back then. Maybe WV is as the same restaurant and one of them goes to rescue her from the creep?

I'm liking the odds of the episode considering the parallels and how much happened/moved in the 18th episode of the two first seasons.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marikolab (View Post)
Oh my 1x18, the horror.... The episode that had literally the worst lighting in all three season of HOD combined . Storywise it was good though, we learned a lot more about Wade and there was WZ movement, as wll as some GL and LL drama. I love/hate that episode so much, WZ all over, but so bad aesthetically I have a hard time looking at it.

If we refer to 2x18 maybe somebody will do something to get Zoe out of her horrible date like George tried to do back then. Maybe WV is as the same restaurant and one of them goes to rescue her from the creep?

I'm liking the odds of the episode considering the parallels and how much happened/moved in the 18th episode of the two first seasons.
Mariko, I never noticed the lighting in 1x18 before. Could the reason be that a lot of it was outdoor. on a stripper bus,and in a cabin that they don't usually use? I am going to have to notice that the next time I watch it. I am annoyed that the episode introduced Jesse Kinsella never to be seen again.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hon-ay 1x11 (View Post)
Mariko, I never noticed the lighting in 1x18 before. Could the reason be that a lot of it was outdoor. on a stripper bus,and in a cabin that they don't usually use? I am going to have to notice that the next time I watch it. I am annoyed that the episode introduced Jesse Kinsella never to be seen again.
They can easily use reflectors to light the scenes properly even outside, those things can be carried and come in all shapes and sizes no matter the shooting location. You can even make some yourself with some stark white material. I've manipulated some myself in the past, They use them most of the time on the show , they have huge ones for outdoor scenes so it always look sunny no matter where they are now.

Also spots (the lights) can be quite small as well, some are even designed to be hand held, so it was reallly just laziness on their part imo. If you can shoot a scene at night and make it look likes its day (it's called night for day shooting) you can light a perfectly normal scene outside of the WB studio.

It was laziness on their part and it really didn't do any favors to the cast. I remember thinking Wade was unattractive (that doesn't happen very often...) in that episode because his face looked sunken in due to the lighting and his bone structure. Everybody looked sickly and pale in that episode. It seemed like it was about to rain the whole time.

The visual coponents of Hod aren't good as far a consistency goes. They have a hard time matching their shots/counter shots (the WZ kisses in 122 and 308 being prime example of that) and have some major continuity issues. Fortunately, most of the viewers are not trained to spot that so it doesn't show too much. Unfortunately I am and I have to switch off that part of my brain when I watch. It doesn't always work as you can see.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
They can easily use reflectors to light the scenes properly even outside, those things can be carried and come in all shapes and sizes no matter the shooting location. You can even make some yourself with some stark white material. I've manipulated some myself in the past, They use them most of the time on the show , they have huge ones for outdoor scenes so it always look sunny no matter where they are now.

Also spots (the lights) can be quite small as well, some are even designed to be hand held, so it was reallly just laziness on their part imo. If you can shoot a scene at night and make it look likes its day (it's called night for day shooting) you can light a perfectly normal scene outside of the WB studio.

It was laziness on their part and it really didn't do any favors to the cast. I remember thinking Wade was unattractive (that doesn't happen very often...) in that episode because his face looked sunken in due to the lighting and his bone structure. Everybody looked sickly and pale in that episode. It seemed like it was about to rain the whole time.

The visual coponents of Hod aren't good as far a consistency goes. They have a hard time matching their shots/counter shots (the WZ kisses in 122 and 308 being prime example of that) and have some major continuity issues. Fortunately, most of the viewers are not trained to spot that so it doesn't show too much. Unfortunately I am and I have to switch off that part of my brain when I watch. It doesn't always work as you can see.
I am getting a film production education reading your post. You have mentioned something that annoys me about HOD, lack of continuity. I'll just give 2 examples that bothered me: 1x22-rescue scene Zoe injures her shoulder and blouse is bloody. As they run back into the barn with the baby goat, no evidence of torn blouse or injury
2x21 and 2x22-at end of 2x21 Wade puts his tool belt on newel post leading into Zoe's house before he enters with her. At opening scene of 2x22 the next morning when Wade is in the shower and hasn't left Zoe, tool belt is not hanging where it was the night before.
Mariko, thanks for sharing your expertise.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:39 AM
Dedicated Fan

^Tftnt Juliana and thank you all for the great information! It's making me really excited for tonight's new episode as we enjoy the show and look out for parallels and contrasts!

Hi Everyone: please remember to check-in to "Hart of Dixie" from the Getglue site -- now called Tvtag, but your Getglue username and password remains the same, here: tvtag - tag along with the world as you watch TV (tonight, between 5pm until 10pm Pacific time) for a new beautiful sticker of Rachel Bilson and Jaime King! Thank you very much for your support, and hope this helps!

The sticker:
Moyers & Company
seabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Extreme Fan

In some earlier discussion of this episode, Mariko mentioned that she thought 1x18 had bad lighting. I thought in last night's episode that there was bad and unflattering lighting on Vivian. Could that be possible and done on purpose because I thought she acted rather villainous to Wade last night?
My favorite scene of the night was the last one showing Zoe, Lemon, and Annabeth enjoying each other's company in the RJ. It was a great way to move forward to the finale storyline.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hon-ay 1x11 (View Post)
In some earlier discussion of this episode, Mariko mentioned that she thought 1x18 had bad lighting. I thought in last night's episode that there was bad and unflattering lighting on Vivian. Could that be possible and done on purpose because I thought she acted rather villainous to Wade last night?
My favorite scene of the night was the last one showing Zoe, Lemon, and Annabeth enjoying each other's company in the RJ. It was a great way to move forward to the finale storyline.
She was lighted the same as everybody else in 318. Somethimes her make up (damn do they put a lot of it on her, it's intense sometimes. Not so much this week though) affects the way the light hits her face (makes it shine in an unnatural way), but I didn't see that this week.

The lighting was kinda flat in the RJ and outside of Vivian's home, but otherwise it was the same it usually is.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
She was lighted the same as everybody else in 318. Somethimes her make up (damn do they put a lot of it on her, it's intense sometimes. Not so much this week though) affects the way the light hits her face (makes it shine in an unnatural way), but I didn't see that this week.

The lighting was kinda flat in the RJ and outside of Vivian's home, but otherwise it was the same it usually is.
Thanks for your expert analysis. I guess I was projecting ugliness on Vivian because I thought she was being ugly to Wade.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

I enjoyed this episode. The best part was everything with Zoe/Lemon/Annabeth. Great storyline!

Love the little bits with George/Lemon. They're so meant to be. Loving their storyline

I felt kind of bad for Lavon but he was the one that broke up with her. Annabeth was great!

About Wade, another episode getting only scenes with guest stars. I felt bad for him at the end but I can't wait for WV to be over.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:45 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysCB (View Post)
I enjoyed this episode. The best part was everything with Zoe/Lemon/Annabeth. Great storyline!

Love the little bits with George/Lemon. They're so meant to be. Loving their storyline

I felt kind of bad for Lavon but he was the one that broke up with her. Annabeth was great!

About Wade, another episode getting only scenes with guest stars. I felt bad for him at the end but I can't wait for WV to be over.
I loved all those things in this weeks episode. It was a good episode IMO

and also
- I like Magnolia, never a dull moment with her Her last scene with Brick was a sweet father/daughter scene
- I always like Brick and George scenes. Happy this episode had those.
- George instructing Lavon on how to sell BB for the country fair (and in talking to Brick at the same time) was a fun scene
- Don't understand how Wade can cope with all those annoying Wilkes festivities. He sure is a changed man.
-That last scene with the three girls was great. More of that please!

Fun oneliners
- I can be my own happy couple
- Find someone else not to listen to

Last edited by LazySummer; 04-21-2014 at 04:50 AM
LazySummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread