Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Turns out the remake for ABC’s upcoming Charlie’s Angels has been a long time coming.
Executive producers Leonard Goldberg, Al Gough and Miles Millar said Sunday at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in Beverly Hills that the reboot had been gestating for more than a year when ABC first went out to Sony Pictures Television about bringing the Angels back to the small screen.
“We turned this down a couple times before we said yes,” Gough said. “We know a show like this has a big target on its back.”
Gough and Millar, exec producers on the CW’s long-running Smallville – itself a Superman remake – signed on and opted to give the reboot a fresh hook that was different enough from the 1970s series and big-screen features.
VIDEO: Comic-Con 2011: Meet the New ‘Charlie’s Angels’
“We went back and looked at Charlie’s Angels and what worked in the 1970s series, what worked in the films and it has a chance to work again,” Millar said, noting that the series needed an original take and material while still keeping the DNA essential to the original. Among the changes, setting the series in Miami and making it more international, while broadening the Angels and making them multidimensional.
“The movies were 10 years ago and were like superhero movies for girls,” he noted. “What we wanted to bring to the table was making it more grounded, making them feel more real, giving them back stories; we gave them each a past.”
Gough noted that while the Angels -- Minka Kelly, Annie Ilonzeh and Rachael Taylor -- all still had to be beautiful and sexy they also had to be warm and relatable.
“This is a family; their agency is a family,” he said. “Their business is being a detective and the family secrets take us through week to week.”
The ABC drama, which also counts former big-screen Angel Drew Barrymore among its executive producers, will still be about ass-kicking female detectives solving cases, but producers noted their back stories will be a an ongoing part of the series, with each episode offering additional clues for Eve (Kelly), Kate (Ilonzeh), Abby (Taylor) and “the fourth Angel,” Bosley (Ramon Rodriguez).
TCA Summer Press Tour: THR's Complete Coverage
“This is a show about redemption and second chances,” Gough noted. “The ladies have pasts and Charlie’s giving them a second chance. One of the Angels will be at the tip of the spear [in each episode].”
Producers also noted Sunday that Charlie and Bosley’s relationship will be among the stories explored in the ABC series. Rodriguez noted that much of the mystery will come from Bosley. “He has a lot of secrets on Charlie and we’ve been trying to figure out who he is and when that’s revealed,” Rodriguez. “Each episode there’s a tip … but he’s still an enigma.”
Meanwhile, producers said a replacement for Robert Wagner, who voiced Charliein the pilot and departed over scheduling issues, is “coming shortly.”
Asked if there’s any chance of former Angels, like Cheryl Ladd, appearing in the series, both Millar and Gough were open to the idea and cited the method in which they did the same on Smallville with actors with Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder, Dean Cain.
“Once we establish our show and what our series is, there’s definitely room down the line for appearances by people and characters from other iterations," Gough said "We honor what’s come before by finding a new twist on a character.”
Charlie’s Angels premieres Thursday, Spt. 22 at 8 p.m. on ABC.
'Charlie's Angels': Back Story Will Be Chief Among ABC Series' Differences - Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
The producers of ABC’s reboot of Charlie’s Angels promised that original franchise stars like Jaclyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd may still have a place on the new drama.
“Once we’ve established our show in terms of what our series is, there is definitely room down the line for those appearances by characters from other iterations,” said Al Gough, who is running the drama with Miles Millar. “We did the same thing on Smallville as a way to honor what has come before, and to find a new twist on the characters.”
In the short-term, there is still one important role that needs to be filled. Now that Robert Wagner has left the show as the voice of Charlie, the producers are on the hunt for a new person to be on the other side of the squawk box. (Reason for Wagner’s departure? Scheduling issues, apparently).
Gough admitted that they briefly considered Drew Barrymore, who is a producer on the drama and was featured in the big screen version, but “we already made so many changes to the franchise” that they opted against featuring a female Charlie.
Charlie's Angels may still feature cameos from original stars | Inside TV | EW.com

Quote:
Along with the eye candy and all of the beauty of Charlie's Angels, series star Minka Kelly promises that there will also be a lot of depth and emotion as well. Just like her character of Eve, she moved around a lot as a young child, and she feels that helped her be able to develop confidence within herself to walk into any room and "be okay." It's what she relates to with her character, and she thinks viewers will, as well.

"I understand what it means to create my own family, Kelly pontificated in Los Angeles earlier today. "I think I'm not alone in that. I think there's a lot of girls-- and guys-- out there who have that in common with myself and Eve."

These women are not just robots who kick ass and look great doing it, after all; they have pasts, and they have a darkness to their characters. Each one of them messed up at least once and through the notorious, and slightly ominous, "Charlie," they are given a second chance. This tale, therefore, is not a straight reboot but is about bringing something new and fresh to the table, fitting for the new time period. It's about redemption.

"It's about modern women and how they juggle their lives and their jobs," series creator and executive producer Al Gough explained. "They have to be beautiful; they have to be sexy; they have to have all of those qualities, but they also have to be warm and relatable [because] they are a family."

And in this particular case Bosley (Ramon Rodriguez) is a fourth angel, really keeping the women together and being the link between them and their illusive boss.

"Right now he's this enigma that can do a lot of things and have a lot of skill sets, and he is the liaison between the girls and Charlie," Rodriguez spoke of his character, noting that it will evolve into more than that as the episodes go on.

"There will be a lot of backstory revealed as season progresses-- who Bosley is, what he's about, and that will come through Charlie. He has a lot of secrets on Charlie; he has a lot of secrets on everybody."

Bosley may prove to be the throughline for the procedural series, then, which would make his a much more integrated role than in the original. Charlie (still to be recast, as Robert Wagner had "scheduling conflicts") and Bosley's history will be a big part of the mystery of the show.

No one involved wanted to just redo the original, in part because the original was so groundbreaking. Nostalgia is one thing, but co-creator and executive producer Miles Miller pointed out that modern audiences "particularly on ABC, is expecting that these women are contemporaries whom they can relate to."

"Each episode will be kind of character revealing about the angels...We'll be mixing it up, but one of the angels will be at the emotional tip of the spear [each week]," Gough expanded.

But additionally, the setting change of moving to Miami will also give the series a more "cosmopolitan and international" feel that modern audiences can better feel reflect their own world.

Gough and Miller aren't shutting the door on the past completely, though. Not only is original series executive producer Leonard Goldberg attached, but Drew Barrymore is, as well, having a big presence in casting and continuing to help develop episodes through her production company. Additionally, Gough is open to bringing back favorites from the original series in due time, just as he did with Smallville.

"It's a way to honor what's come before," he said.

Of course, with Smallville he didn't start doing that until season two, once the fan base was already established. So if you, like series co-star Rachael Taylor is hoping to see an old fave like Demi Moore down the line, you'll have to tune in from the beginning when Charlie's Angels premieres on ABC on September 22nd at 8pm. And check back here for our advance review of the pilot episode just prior to premiere!
ABC TCA talk: Minka Kelly, Ramon Rodriguez, Al Gough preview 'Charlie's Angels' - Los Angeles TV Insider | Examiner.com

Old 08-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Elite Fan

I'm really interested in the back stories that they are going to be giving each of the characters Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Elite Fan

Me too.

Minka talks about the background of her character.

Minka Kelly Credits Difficult Childhood For Bringing ‘Layers’ To ‘Charlie’s Angels’ Character | Access Hollywood - Celebrity News, Photos & Videos

Old 08-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

thanks for all the news.. loved the 7 things thingie..
didn't know Drew Barrymore is prducing the show..

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Elite Fan

Old 08-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Elite Fan

Great promo And also great interview with Minka. I'm glad that she's able to relate to her character so much and I hope others are able to as well
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

thanks for the promo.. it looks great

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Elite Fan

Charlie's Angels: Prepare for Fun, Family and Minka Kelly Like "You've Never Seen Before" - E! Online

Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for sharing
Old 08-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Robert Wanger won't be Charlie

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Elite Fan

I hope they settle on someone soon. I'm sure that he's going to be very needed soon since the episodes are coming out in a little over a month.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

yep.. I wonder who's gonna do it now..

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 08-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Elite Fan

I'm hoping they find someone with a similar voice
Old 08-17-2011, 05:09 AM
Fan Forum Star

a Charlie-worth voice

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 08-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Fan

They said that if the show is successful they may bring in the original Angels for cameos. Hope that happens. Would even be interesting to see any never before seen Angels that happened between the original series--movie--tv show.