Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Elite Fan

Harleen
A wayward thought danced across her mind.
Not unless I want you to.
She looked at him. She had a feeling she was playing a game of chess with the devil - the worst part was part of was thoroughly enjoying it. She looked down and then at him again.
"Yes, I suppose that's what we call it."
Harleen moved her neck from side to side, popping it and sighed.
"This is weirdly very stress relieving."
She admitting. She kept coming back to the same thought, there was something almost hypnotic to her about this man. She was fascinated by him. Possibly to a dangerous level.

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
Old 07-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Passionate Fan

OOC: IOU a post, Moonie, if you're still interested in Serena/Lila after all this time ... *crickets* But it will be AM EST before I can even think about it, it's bed time!

Christian
He stared at her outstretched hand dumbfounded as if he could not possibly comprehend the idea that she wanted him to shake to signify their agreement that he would neither bring Jonathon up or try to otherwise bait her. True, he had given her his word, but time had proven over and over again that there always existed a possibility that every word out of his mouth was a falsehood. How could a handshake possibly change that?

Christian knew it was no use, just as well as she did, that the momentary truce between them was simply that, momentary. It wouldn't be more than ten minutes before he would be back to teasing her, poking and prodding until she gave him his desired reaction. But as a token of good humor, he went along with her gesture, and took Sydney's hand in his own as they shook in acknowledgement. It was the first time she had touched him in over four months, and try as he might not to, he found himself imaging all the other places his hands had been, and the flood of memory was enough to tear his gaze away from hers. For the briefest of seconds, Christian had to consider that the flash of emotion he had seen on her face was not altogether different from the feeling he was wrangling in at that moment, but focused his energy on not thinking too long about her mouth, or her hands, and all the other things he had missed about being in intimate contact with Sydney Jordan. It was more difficult than being seated at Elizabeth Donahue's dinner table with only a person between them because they were here, and now, and heading down a path he knew would only lead in one direction.

As he let go of her hand, she took the lead and continued inside, him following but a step behind. Christian drank in the scenery with detached calm, noting the relative size and makeup of the crowd as they continued to the bar. They were both tapping their feet in time to the music as he looked over her shoulder while she inspected the menu before them and then asked, in that oh-so-innocent-Sydney-Jordan way that he had learned over time that was not quite as innocent as she thought herself to be, if he saw anything that he liked. He had to bite back any number of comments, overall bearing the sentiment that there was quite a bit that he liked that was not on the menu, as he tried to honor his part of the bargain that he not unnecessarily torment her. Pity, he thought to himself, as the music playing in the background became more familiar to him.

I wake at the first cringe of morning,
And my heart's already sinned.
How pure, how sweet a love...

"Spoiled for choice, I'm afraid," he answered, gesturing to the menu. "Would you do me the honor of ordering for us both? It's your adventure, after all."
Old 07-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Elite Fan

OOC: yes!!!! I need to do my tags here too, been busy!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Elite Fan

TATE
"Well at least you won't snore," he declared, nodding firmly. Not long ago, she'd been yelling at him, but now here they were, and they had reverted into a point somewhere between childhood and adolescence, and it gave him hope. It made him think everything could be alright, and he needed that. He truly had turned over a new leaf in his time away, and he wanted his family to be a part of that. It would be trickier when it came to the rest of his family, but he did believe that, with his sister having his back, they could get through it.

KIKI
"Please," she snorted, "I'm more Scary than Sporty, you got the wrong Mel, darling," she tossed her head back, downed the rest of her drink, then let out a powerful laugh, which only got her tugged by the foot. "Hey!" she smirked. "I will find out your super power... and super weakness... You just wait," she put on a mischievous look.

When Charlotte had finally released her feet, now with cleanly painted toe nails, Kiki turned about on the couch, letting her feet dangle over the arm rest, and presenting her hands in the air to show she would not wreck those as well. "Oh, sweet wife, would you be so kind as to refill me, please?" she pointed to her glass. When Charlotte went, she pondered, first in her head, then aloud. "So how did you woo me? Or was it me who wooed you?"

LUCAS
He hadn't made any wager with himself as to whether or not the spooked girl would enter or run, but when she did enter, he had to admit he was pleasantly surprised, mostly amused to see her inching along, clearly considering cutting and running at every step. But then, after persevering, she had reached his booth and taken a seat. She began spouting out some excuse, claiming her friend had been stalking him, which she did not in any way approve. Lucas only smiled and nodded.

"That's good then, it'd be a shame to have to see you carted off by campus police," he told her, still smiling. At the still nervous look on her face, he shook his head. "I'm not going to do that. If every college girl was locked up for staring at guys, or girls, well... my classes would be very empty, and well... Are you in my class then, Miss..."
Old 07-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Master Fan

Sydney Jordan
She noted the delayed beat before he spoke, imagining all manner of wicked quips his mind might have readied in response to her comment. Instead he let it slide, exhibiting restraint as promised earlier, much to her surprise. But for how long? Sydney could not hold back the small smile that found her lips and gathered her hair over her shoulder so as to obscure it from shrewd eyes. I fall in love just a little, oh a little bit every day with someone new. I fall in love just a little, oh little bit every day with someone new. Permission granted to select their first round, she set to work on examining the drink menu, chewing idly on her lower lip as she concentrated on the options at hand.

Love with every stranger, the stranger the better
Love with every stranger, the stranger the better

Sensing her indecision, one of the male bartenders approached to offer some assistance and after a good deal of deliberation and a momentary tangent involving the merits of Hozier, a decision was finally made. “Thirsty Dog Citra IPA it is, then.” Sydney smiled politely after the bartender, clearing her throat as if anticipating a comment about the ridiculous beer name from the curiously silent peanut gallery at her side. She generally avoided IPAs, preferring sweeter, light bodied beers. The bartender had been so passionate about that particular beer, she didn’t have the heart to refuse him. As soon as he disappeared to retrieve their drinks, Sydney leaned toward Christian so that she did not have to speak up too loudly over the new song starting up. “Something new to try in the spirit of adventure …” she offered in explanation despite it not being asked of her. “Obviously if it turns out to be less than satisfactory it’s the bartender’s fault and not mine.”
Old 07-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Elite Fan

Charlotte
She took her glass and refilled it and handed it back to her.
"I have no kryptonite, my darling."
She sat down in a armchair and looked at Kiki.
"I stunned you with my hot legs and killer brain and you woo'd me with your steel liver and mysterious eyes. Not to mention you always take me to the best places."
She said gesturing to Kiki's place with wide arms.
"Besides, your basically the chick McDreamy."
She said with a grin.
"But you know...blonde."

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Old 07-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Passionate Fan

Lila
When Serena doubled over in laughter at her retelling of her encounter in the parking lot - namely, that the aforementioned weirdo dared ask for her feathers, of all things! - she could feel the tension that had settled in her bones beginning to fade. It wasn't long before she was laughing too, gripping the steering wheel as her body began to relax, and parked her car in the parking lot of the diner. At Serena's insistence that she had her own talents, she fought valiantly against the urge to roll her eyes, lest she incur the wrath of her friend for disagreeing with her.

Lila was relieved, too, that the event had turned out so humorously. The kind of story she would tell at the next party they had, and everyone there would laugh into their beers, but it was certainly not the kind of thing she could tell her already worried parents, as overprotective and overbearing as they were wont to be. Then it would be more talk of Las Vegas, and how unsafe it was, and how foolish they were both being ... not her favorite conversation to have. She got out of the car, still giggling to herself, and locked the doors behind them with a click of her remote as the two strode off for celebratory burgers. "You know, Ser," she said sweetly, knowing that she had already pushed the limits of their friendship once that evening. "I think burgers are on me," Lila, who never paid for anything, volunteered.

OOC: The cover I'm referencing is this one.

Christian
The bartender wore his welcome out with Christian first as the young man wasted no time in coming to help her and then tried to draw out the conversation as long as he could manage with little witticisms and flattering comments about her music taste. He remained silent, only the cock of his eyebrow giving any voice to his inner dislike for the man, who moved away as soon as the expression on Christian's face had been seen by the bartender. Sydney cleared her throat, as if she were anticipating some kind of remark in regards to her choice in beer, but he remained quiet as he reined in the look of sheer possessiveness that had taken over when the other man had shown more than a passing interest in her. "I suppose in that same spirit then that we should drink to new beginnings," he chose his words carefully in response to her comment that it was something new to try in the spirit of adventure.

Slowly, the music changed, and a tune unfamiliar to Christian's ear began playing but soon enough the lyrics revealed themselves to be from a song he knew well.

The world was on fire and no one could save me but you.
It's strange what desire will make foolish people do ...

"Blaming someone else for your poor choices?" he jokingly asked with a quirk of his eyebrow, the lingering ghost of a smile on his lips as their beers were delivered to them, and he took a moment to drink deeply before continuing. "How very un-Sydney Jordan of you. Perhaps New York is changing you after all."

Last edited by fleur captives; 07-03-2015 at 12:22 PM
Old 07-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Master Fan

Sydney Jordan
“Poor choices?” Her lips parted in mock protest. The slight upturn of his lips nearly elicited an eye roll from her, but she refrained, her expression deadpanning the moment their beers arrived. It had been but a glimpse of the Christian of old, the one he promised to reign in as per their truce from earlier. Yet it managed to completely recapture her attention all the same, the bartender all but forgotten at that point. Her grey-blue eyes studied him curiously as he drank, hoping to chance a glimpse of some indication of what he thought of her so-called poor choice now that he had the opportunity to sample it for himself. Christian’s expression remained frustratingly elusive as ever.

She mulled over that fact long after the opening chords of the song registered to her, recognizing the tune almost immediately even though the voice proved unfamiliar. Sydney knew the tune well, though it had been an effort to relegate the music to mere background noise lest she unintentionally dredge up the past. That proved impossible, the lyrics hitting a little closer to home than she would have liked. She looked away from Christian, her sanguine expression ebbing as her mind began to turn over all the things they might have done differently in their past to change the way things were between them now. Sydney turned her attention to the beer in distraction, silently bidding the ghost of disappointment to leave her be.

What a wicked game you play, to make me feel this way
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt that way

“To new beginnings,” she said while clinking the rim of her glass against his before bringing the glass to her lips. What a wicked thing you do, to make me dream of you.

The beer wasn’t bad. Orange and grapefruit aromas tickled the nose and danced on her tongue. Medium body with floral notes. Dry finish. She stared into the glass, idly observing the off white tracing its head left on the sides of the glass as she swirled the liquid around. Only when she felt she had sufficiently driven off her ghosts did she look back up at Christian. “I would hope time would be enough to change a person, regardless the setting. And hopefully for the better.” She countered easily before the smallest of smug smiles came to her lips. “Also, it’s not bad,” Sydney demurred before returning her attention to the beer in earnest.

Jack
“Is it? Can’t say it would be my particular choice for a stress reliever,” Jack remarked cryptically as a grotesquely suggestive smile played on his lips. The image might have conjured up something terribly wicked and provocative in her head, but Jack was not the sort to refer to sex in such an evocative manner. His preferred method of unwinding involved games and people -- making moves in an attempt to move them about on the proverbial chess board of life. Nothing proved more gratifying than when someone chose a course he had unwittingly set them upon, save for perhaps the occasional time someone completely thwarted his plans.

Like a certain masked figure that answered a certain winged signal in the sky.

Above all things, Jack thrived on unpredictability. Chaos. He never felt so alive as when he was suddenly left with a plan that proved moot and was forced to rely on wit and intuition to maneuver about. “Catharsis evidentially achieved, is there anything else the good doctor needs to get off her chest? I’d be all too happy to oblige.” His gaze may have swept the length of her body in a deliberate, suggestive manner. Harleen was seemed to have lulled herself into a false sense of comfort. Jack felt compelled to poke and prod away, testing the boundaries she’d put up between them.

Mallorie Gates
Though far from unfamiliar with the concept of what a joke was, Mallorie still blanched at the mention of being carted off by campus police. The wide eyed, doe caught in the headlights look was beginning to become a regular thing with her, it was a wonder her face hadn’t gotten stuck that way yet. Professor Wiley did not leave her in suspense for too long, which was all the more fortunate for her as her paranoia had resulted in her holding her breath and she was like to pass out at any moment.

She found herself laughing awkwardly in a much needed release of tension. “Fair point.” Relaaaaxxxxx, she silently coaxed herself. No guy wants to talk to the crazy stalker nutto who fails to string together more than three words to form a coherent sentence. Fortunately, Professor Wiley was making things easier on her, perpetuating the conversation as he inquired after her status as student. “Gates,” she supplied for him with a slightly less psychotic smile. “Mallorie Gates. And I am indeed in your class.” See, that was not so bad. “It’s my favorite class, in fact.” Okay that might have been slightly unnecessary.

Next step in learning how to maneuver within basic social situations with attractive men: learn to be a little more discerning with what one says.

Last edited by degausser; 07-03-2015 at 10:56 PM
Old 07-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Passionate Fan

Christian
He was aware that she was watching, studying him closely as he drank more of his beer, as if she couldn't decide if she liked the outcome of their truce after all. All work and no play made Christian a dull boy. The glint in her eye as his comment about poor choices, however, was unmistakable. Silence stretched for a moment between the two, background music filling in the bits and pieces of conversation they chose not to speak, as slowly time and distance both began to recede. As soon as their eyes met, she looked away, and he was left to guess how she was feeling and what was on her mind with no cues, verbal or otherwise, to guide him in the right direction.

The world was on fire and no one could save me but you.
It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
I never dreamed that I'd love somebody like you.
And I never dreamed that I'd lose somebody like you...

Their glasses clinked against each other in the sad mimicry of a toast, simply spoken to new beginnings, when the unspoken question remained what there was to celebrate. New beginnings? Their relationship had taken any number of turns - from love, to hate, and back again .... from Virginia, to North Carolina, to New York ... the list went on. Christian could dedicate his life to ruminating over the possibilities of where each path would have led him and wonder what would have become of them. But nothing between them was beginning - he'd seen an end to that, realizing that unless one or the other would commit to the idea of a relationship fully, they would continue to teeter back and forth from one extreme to the other with no end in sight. "Time changes everything," he conceded, thinking deeply on her words, before shrugging. "But people necessarily don't."

Her comment that the beer wasn't bad - or perhaps, if he felt like reading too much into it, that she meant the comment as a continuation of their conversation - earned her a grin. "I suppose this means we'll have to let him live," he said, a wistful expression taking hold as he noted the distance the bartender had managed to put between himself and the two of them. "A shame. I was hoping you had an interesting evening lined up for us."
Old 07-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Master Fan

Sydney Jordan
Time changes everything, but people necessarily don’t. She wondered if she was meant to discern more from that comment or simply take it at face value. Such had been her habit, clinging to his every word, breaking each down and analyzing them far beyond any measure of sanity. It was not as though it never occurred to her to simply ask him point blank what he might have meant. The thought had occurred to her on several occasions, yet she always held back as if already knowing she feared what the outcome might be. Perhaps he was right, people don’t change.

The change in subject was most welcome and with the bartender proving his worth, at least for now, Christian determined their dastardly plan would have to be postponed. Sydney lifted the glass back to her lips slowly, shooting him a conspiratory look. “The night is still young,” she whispered encouragingly before taking another hearty swig of her beer. It was difficult to hear the next song playing, though the bits and pieces she was able to make out of the lyrics struck her as vaguely familiar. That was until the guitar riff started up, loud and impossible for her not to recognize. She found it difficult to remain stationary in her seat and settled for tapping her foot enthusiastically in time to the riff.

To let me dangle at a cruel angle
Oh my feet don’t touch the floor
Sometimes you’re half in, and then you’re half out
But you never close the door

“Are you trying to tell me decent beer and good conversation isn’t good enough for you, Christian Jenkins?” It was her turn to poke and prod, innocent though it was. His brand of antagonism had a penchant for striking her to her very core; her teasing was always innocuous, never intending any harm. “So difficult to please,” Sydney added after a beat while shaking her head reproachfully. Her beer nearly finished, she waved the bartender over. His intrusion was quicker the second time around as she had already decided on the next beer she wanted to order. “Next thing you’ll do is tell me you’re too good to play a game of shuffleboard with me,” she said as soon as the bartender set off to fill their second order, still tapping her foot in time to the beat.

Last edited by degausser; 07-05-2015 at 02:10 PM
Old 07-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Elite Fan

Harleen
"There are always better options. But not - I fear - in Arkham Asylum."
She said and crossed her arms over her chest, protectively. She felt off put by him slightly and the part of her that wasn't off put - well she was a little concerned about that part. She looked at him and smiled lightly.
"Besides I think we should get back to your therapy and not mine."
She said reaching into her pocket towards the recording device. She was thinking to herself about stress relieving activities, once upon a time she had liked to go to the batting cages. Maybe she'd do that this weekend and practice her swing - she had been very good once.
"Any final words before I go back to recording us?"
She asked with a raised eyebrow.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Passionate Fan

Christian
Her conspiratorial look was most unexpected but had the desired effect of changing the smirk on his features to a genuine smile. But the breathy whisper that followed stilled him for a moment, his expression dropping and eyelids lowering at the idea of the many roads the night could still go down, before he diverted his attention elsewhere and took a long drink from his pint glass to disguise the affect she had on him. It wasn't fair, he thought, for her to employ the same tactics on him that he so often used against her; the whispers, words chosen with care to ensure they remained in the recipient's ear long after they were spoken, and bolstered with looks and touch. She had years and years of experience with Christian and his little games that she could give just as well as he could get.

Sydney's change in demeanor followed suit with the music skewed decidedly more upbeat than the previous songs and revealed itself in her now swaying form and tapping foot. Try as he might, Christian found himself watching her openly, not bothering to disguise his rekindled interest in her behind barbs or stolen looks. Part of him knew time should have made their little games old and tired but they always seemed to come back to them sooner or later as if they couldn't help themselves. Christian emptied his pint glass and smirked, answering her question of whether or not alcohol and conversation was enough for him just a look. Sydney had the right of it; he was difficult to please but thought it easy enough for someone who cared enough to try.

"As always, Sydney, you leave me wanting more," he answered, two responses in one, as the music began to fade out. He caught only the refrain, What kind of man loves like this?, before she asked if he was too good to play her in a game of shuffle ball. No fool, he could recognize an open challenge when he saw one, and stood up with a devilish glint in his eyes. "Now, now. We both know I only enjoy games with an incentive. Tell me, what will be my prize once I've won?" He intercepted the bartender as he returned, sliding him his card to hold an open tab for them both, and took both of their glasses in hand as he waited for her to join him, extending one hand toward her as the upbeat music faded, once again replaced by something downbeat.

I'll use you as a warning sign
That if you talk enough sense then you'll lose your mind
I'll use you as a focal point
So I don't lose sight of what I want
Old 07-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Master Fan

Sydney
Was it really too much to expect they might be able to play a simple bar game without any stakes attached? Sydney knew better at this point and wasn’t it indicative of their strange relationship? Nothing had ever been simple or straight forward with them. The stakes always seemed to become increasingly heightened over the years, proving to be too much when the dust eventually settled. And I’ve moved farther than I thought I could. No, Sydney Jordan and Christian Jenkins would never be able to play just a simple game of shuffleboard. But I miss you more than I thought I could. Or maybe she was reading too much in to it all? Sydney had already determined she would not overthink anything he said or did back when she initially extended her invitation to him and reminded herself of that fact now. She took his extended hand readily, silently noting all the things Christian had done to discourage the bartender’s passing interest in her as he cut off her attempt to pay him and opened a tab. So much for not reading too much into his actions. Old habits died hard evidently.

“What will be my prize, you mean?” She countered as he helped her off the stool. Sydney’s gaze flitted to the outdoor patio as they passed it by. “When I win, you owe me a dance, regardless of the necessary level of inebriation normally needed to get you out there.” Retrieving one of the two glasses from his hand, she set to work on setting up their game as she grabbed the salt shaker from a nearby shelf and tipped it over the wooden table. The new song playing had been completely unfamiliar to her, but the melody had been pleasing to her ear and now that they had found themselves closer to the speaker she found herself listening intently to the lyrics.

And I’ll use you as a makeshift gauge
Of how much to give and how much to take
Oh I’ll use you as a warning sign
That if you talk enough sense then you’ll lose your mind

“If by some fluke of a chance you manage to pull out a win, then I imagine the pleasure of my good company would be enough of a prize?” Sydney took a sip of her beer, glancing back over at Christian. “No?” He was watching her expectantly and she sensed she would regret asking her next question the moment the words breached her lips. “You had something else in mind?”

Jack
His therapy? What did she mean his therapy? Why? They were having so much more fun talking about her failed relationship. Well, he had been having more fun anyway. Jack supposed it was only a matter of time before the good doctor remembered who she was. His new therapist, evidently. Did he have any final words?

Jack sighed. “But your therapy has been so much more fun. In fact, we were making real progress there what with all the revealing and the catharsis. I’m pretty sure hugging was coming next.” Dr. Quinzel was not nearly as amused with his little japes as he was. “I think hugging would have been really helpful for you.” The good doctor let him know just what she thought about his proposal with the sharp click of the play button on her tape recorder. Jack slouched petulantly. Somehow he doubted his own therapy would be nearly as interesting. Not for him, anyway.

“Is this the part where you start holding up ink slides and I tell you what it is I see in them?”

Last edited by degausser; 07-06-2015 at 01:45 AM
Old 07-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Passionate Fan

Christian
Your prize? he thought to himself but stayed silent on the matter, nary a grin to betray his true feelings. Christian was competitive, had always been competitive, but something about Sydney Jordan further inflamed his desire to win. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that when it came to her, he would never come out on top in their little game of cat and mouse, where no one would ever truly when. When she took his hand, he smiled appreciatively, but the look on her face was clear that she had noticed his overtures toward the bartender and was mulling over what his actions meant. But she mercifully said nothing, and neither did he.

"You know I don't dance," he started his warning with a stern look but could not follow through. Yes, he had always been steadfast in his refusal to get out on the floor, but if there was anyone on Earth who had succeeded in what seemed like a hopeless venture, it was her. There was little he could protest and shook his head in resignation at the terms of their agreement. However, when it came time for him to list what he wanted in return were he to win, a devious glint appeared in his eyes. "Your company is always a pleasure," he started in oh-so-typical Christian fashion, taking a drink from his beer while she set up their game. "But I had something else in mind. Do you remember when we played pool, back in Richmond? Ages ago, really," he was drawing this out for his benefit, enjoying the dawning realization on her face as she caught up to the specific memory that struck his fancy. "We bet then that if I won, you'd wash my car in a bikini, and in eight years, you've yet to pay up."

His pleased expression was evident to all. "I wonder if you'll bow out this time too," Christian said wistfully, reaching for his drink, before placing it on a nearby table. And another one bites the dust. Oh, why can I not conquer love? The speaker overhead was louder here, and more unfamiliar music played, but at least she seemed to be enjoying herself. Part of him hoped he was a large part of that response, but with Syd, he could never be sure. At least not fully...
Old 07-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Master Fan

Sydney Jordan
Did she remember playing pool with him back in Richmond? There had been plenty of things about Richmond she deliberately gave little thought to, her first weeks there being chief amongst them as most of her interactions had involved him. It took her a moment, but the quixotic expression she wore slowly blanched as realization donned on her. Sydney focused on her present task at hand intently, thoughtfully shaking the sandy granules over the table as if she were tending to some kind of volatile chemical compound in a lab. She remembered the wager made quite clearly now, her sixteen-year-old self still relatively unfamiliar with his brand of game and unwittingly in way, way over her head. She liked to think herself a little wiser to the game now, better equipped to play, yet the desired response elicited with such ease from her even now had Sydney second guessing herself.

But no, she liked to think she had changed on some level from that shy girl with little to no experience with the opposite sex to someone with enough experience to not blush so easily at the slightest hint of innuendo. The table set, she steeled herself momentarily before moving over to join him at the far end of the table and meeting his expectant gaze resolutely. And I wanted it, I wanted it bad. But there were so many red flags. “There are far easier ways of getting me out of my clothes, or have you already forgotten?” Sydney took some small measure of comfort in the fact that for once her tone did not betray her floundering confidence.

She held his gaze a touch longer than intended, remembering far more than she cared to where the two of them were considered, as it was becoming increasingly difficult to maintain the level of detachment necessary to keep from falling into old habits. “But if those are your terms, then so be it …” she conceded after a significant beat, offering a coy smile as a gesture of good faith and her intent to live up to her end of the wager this time around. The current song playing was a popular dance track and she found herself silently singing along with the refrain. You won’t see me fall apart, ‘cause I’ve got an elastic heart. Sydney moved in beside Christian, the two standing side by side at the head of the shuffleboard table, her elbow knocking against his teasingly as she swayed in time to the beat of the song.

After taking another hearty swig from her pint glass, she set it down on the edge of the table and gathered her long hair over the thin strap of her left shoulder. “Eight years you say? Best prepare yourself for another eight more ...” she boasted competitively before leaning over the table to line up her first shot.

Last edited by degausser; 07-06-2015 at 09:22 PM