Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Elite Fan

THE WORKSHOP: One-on-one short play. Newbies welcome!

Have a scenario stuck in your head that needs playing out? A character you're still trying to figure out? Are you new to the board and shy about joining in? Welcome to the Workshop! This thread invites you to exercise those creative juices of yours, in a role playing capacity, but on a smaller/shorter scale. You don't have to join or commit to it, you can use it as you need it, when you need it. For example...

"ONE-OFF" SCENES:
It might be that you've been imagining some scenario or another in your head, that has no bearing on any active game, say two strangers meeting in a coffee shop on a rain soaked night, and it won't let you be, and you would like to see it played out with a fellow player. Or it could be one character or another had some event in their near or distant past, and though it was never played in-game, you wish it had.

CHARACTER EXPLORATION:
You are in the process of creating a new character for an active or soon-to-be active game. You may have assembled a profile already, but find you are still having trouble connecting to the character, and you feel the need to take them out to play, without disrupting the game itself. Or you could be staring at that empty profile template, wondering what possessed you to go after this character in the first place... Again, the way out might be right here.

NEWBIE ASSIST:
*Educational video voice* Hi there. Are you new to the board? Have you been ghosting about, curious about perhaps joining a game, but you're too shy or unsure to take the plunge? If you would like to take that chance without committing to a game just yet, our awesome players (yes, they are grade A people, A for awesomesauce), and if you would like to give this roleplay world a go, I know they would be glad to assist where they can. Come on, now, they don't bite... much...

Whatever scene you and your given partner embark on will take as long as you see fit to play out, though it should be established that it will be brought to end (who knows though, an idea for a full-out game might originate here!)

When you start a scene, depending on what you and your partner need, presenting any quick info (name and age of character, for instance, the actor it would be played by...). Also, to keep clarity, please use the OOC abbreviation to show when you are speaking out of character.

If you are available for one-on-one play, or if you're seeking a partner, let us know, and happy RPing!

-------------
To get the ball rolling, be it for our potential newbies, or for any others who should feel compelled, I present to you a list of writing prompts, shamelessly brought along from the internets. They can be played several times, so if someone has already selected one, you can still choose it if you want it. More prompt lists will be added over time.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Master Fan

I am veerrryyyy interested in this. Will ponder and chit chat with a few people to see if anyone is interested in playing old characters.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Master Fan

Some of these prompts are amazing.
Mistress of the Marvel Universe
and Roleplaying Board's fairest and kindliest Mod ever!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Master Fan

Dat last one.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Master Fan

I was thinking more like space jail.
Mistress of the Marvel Universe
and Roleplaying Board's fairest and kindliest Mod ever!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Elite Fan

I'd have loved something like this back in the day. Curse my lack of free time to write. I hope this takes off though. Excellent idea, Moonie!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Elite Fan

Thaaanks Libby

I'm going to be kicking things off with a couple of prompts I've got lined up with Pammie and with Leigha, as soon as I've got some food in me
Old 05-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Elite Fan

Yay!

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
Old 05-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Elite Fan

Righty-o, here we go! So, both Pammie and Leigha selected one of the prompts. Here's the character info for those respective prompts:

For Pammie...
"Who wouldn't be angry you ate all of my cereal and faked your death for three years!"
Name/age: Tate Rogers, 33
Role/connection: Death faker/brother (yes?)
PB: Michiel Huisman

For Leigha...
"So why did I have to punch that guy?"
Name/age: Serena Han, 26
Role/connection: Guy puncher/(dunno, what do you think?)
PB: Arden Cho
Old 05-12-2015, 04:55 PM
Elite Fan

OOC - First off I totally be up for more scenes, prompts, or ideas, if anyone wants me as a partner.

For Moonie -

"Who wouldn't be angry you ate all of my cereal and faked YOUR death for three years!"
Name/Age: Elisa Rogers, 26
Role/Connection: Victim of Cereal theft/ Sister
PB: Ashley Clements

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Old 05-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Elite Fan

TATE
Tate Rogers had been seven years old the day his father placed his baby sister in his arms. From that day on, he could have hated her, his tiny shadow, always on his heels, written off as a brat kid sister. Instead, she was his partner in crime, his heir to the mantle of troublemaker. He taught her all his best tricks. He had graduated from troublemaker to lawbreaker and surprised no one. Elisa though, she had grown up on the straight and narrow, and somewhere along the way, she had surpassed him as the responsible older sibling, trying to keep him in check, bailing him out when no one else would.

Then, he'd put her through hell.

He hadn't seen his baby sister in three years, not since the day he had walked away from his life, his past, and every debt, threat, and bit of trouble hanging over his head, when he'd run his car into car into the river. As far as anyone knew, his body had washed away, never to be found. He could have stayed long enough to spy his funeral, but one look at her face, and he would have been done in. It had to be a clean break.

So why was he here? He'd broken in to her apartment with ease, found it empty. Was she working late? Out on a date, out with a friend? She'd come back in time, and then... What? He was going to drive himself crazy wondering, so while he waited, he took in her life. He looked around each room, not snooping through anything that wasn't in plain sight, but still told him enough. He saw pictures and couldn't believe how much she'd changed in just three years. She looked more and more like their mother growing up.

With little more to do and still no sister in sight, Tate went into the kitchen, opening the pantry door and zeroing in on a box of cereal. He grabbed a bowl, started to fill it. The box had been near empty and so he reached for the next available box, topping off his bowl before adding the milk. He finished it in the dark and silent apartment, before filling and consuming a second bowl. Still hungry, still waiting, he made a third, which left this box empty as the first. There was one last box, nearly empty, too. He shrugged and added it. He had eaten his way through all but one bite, which he had been to bring to his mouth, when he heard the key in the door. Swallowing the last of his - considerable - snack, he wiped his mouth on his sleeve, and he waited.
GO PAMMIE GO!
Old 05-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Elite Fan

Elisa
She had been out with some friends at a karaoke bar. That was about as wild as she ever got. She had had a drink and taken a cab home. She was just coming in the door when she felt a presence. Was someone there, she reached in her bag and felt for her pepper spray.
"Hello?"
She asked, leaving the door slightly ajar behind her in case she needed to make a run for it. She saw a shape in the kitchen as she advanced and then she froze. It was dark and the robber appeared to be...eating? She saw not one, not two, but three empty cereal boxes. What the crap? Elisa pulled the pepper spray fully out of her bag.
"I have a weapon and I'm not afraid to use it. I don't know what you want, but if you leave now we can just forget this."
She said as calmly as she could. She had been robbed once before, but she hadn't been there, or walked in on the robber. Especially not mysteriously eating food in her kitchen.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Elite Fan

TATE
He didn't know he'd be this nervous, but then he heard her voice. It was really her. Maybe this was a mistake. Maybe he should have stayed dead to his old life, for everyone's sake. Instead he was here, sat in the dark, scaring his kid sister. He knew how the whole setup would look, just like he could hear the fear in her voice. She tried to hide it, tried to sound in control, but he caught the tremor in her words. He didn't know what else to do, so he held up his hands, to show her he was harmless. She was just slightly lit from the hall, where she'd left the door open, and he was going to lose his mind if this dragged on much longer.

But then she hit the lights, and when both of them were illuminated, everything came to a halt. He only found the ability to speak when the can of pepper spray slipped from her hand and hit the floor.

"Hey, Lis," he breathed, feeling like he had something caught in his throat.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Elite Fan

Elisa
She went through a long moment of shock as she stood there just staring at him and then in one swift motion, she bent and grabbed the can of pepper spray and advanced on him quickly and sprayed him in the eyes. If he was some kind of drunk dream it wouldn't matter, and if he wasn't....then he deserved it. She stepped back and looked at him as he screamed out in pain. She had surprised herself with this attack, she didn't know she was angry...well this angry until it had just happened.
"Come on, lets get some water on those."
She said taking his arm after he was done having the worst of his reaction and showing him to the bathroom where she got a cloth and wet it and put it over his eyes.
"Explain."
She said finally.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Elite Fan

TATE
There was one split second where he knew what was about to happen. And had he not been so taken by the sight of his sister standing there in front of him he might have reacted quicker. As it was, he only had time to mutter something like "No, wait" before his head exploded with pain and he screamed, staggering off his stool to the ground, where he scrambled, trying to let his brain reset itself. His eyes were streaming tears, burning with a thousand fires.

He only sort of understood when Elisa helped him up and brought him to rinse his eyes. He was muttering and whimpering, working up all he could to clear his eyes. " What the hell, Lis, it's me, I haven't changed that much, have I?" he breathed as deep as he could. He couldn't see anything clear, everything was a blur, a haze where he saw lights. He could make out her shape, standing over him, and incapacitated as he was, he really did see their mother standing over him, the way she did when she was about to smack the mess out of him. "How can I even... You sprayed me!" he shouted, rinsing again.