Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Elite Fan

I'm into a few: Bates Motel, GOT, Supergirl, and sort of The 100/reign.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Master Fan

Oh silly me, how can I forget.

Harry Potter forever.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Elite Fan

Just wanted to stop in, say hi, and help keep this board alive!

cliffies • kcch
Old 02-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Master Fan

Welcome to the board!

Any help would be appreciated. I'm Letty, btw.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Elite Fan

Thank you! I'm Nicole! Nice to meet you!

cliffies • kcch
Old 02-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Master Fan

I haven't started it yet, but I was going to do a panfandom game that pairs humans with fictional characters. If you guys could come up with characters from your fandoms to play, that would be great. Once we have at least 3 people, I'll put it up.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:23 PM
Elite Fan

You don't have to rush. And I'm interested in that definitely. I haven't done a panfandom in years. Is there a set setting we're going with?

cliffies • kcch
Old 02-14-2016, 06:31 AM
Master Fan

Welcome around!
Mistress of the Marvel Universe
and Roleplaying Board's fairest and kindliest Mod ever!
Old 02-14-2016, 09:12 AM
Elite Fan

Hi Nice to meet you! I'm Pammie!

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
Old 02-14-2016, 10:17 AM
Elite Fan

Hi Pammie and winter_solider! Thanks for the welcomes! Nice to meet you both.

cliffies • kcch
Old 02-15-2016, 01:44 AM
Elite Fan

I watch a lot of shows (A bunch I'm behind on right now) but I don't know if I'd say I'm in their 'fandom' when I think of fandom I think of interact communicating with other fans and as a fan I'm a big time lurker. Except around friends. If there's one fandom I am comfortable with saying I'm in it's Harry Potter, also Doctor Who. like Libby and Letty I watch The 100 (though I have a hardcore love of all dystopian and post apoc dating back to my days reading Fahrenheit 451 in high school) I also watch Supergirl like Libby (Melissa is adorable), but I pretty much watch all the superhero show except I haven't watched Arrow (though I plan to netflix it) and Daredevil (yes I know its weird that I watched JJ first.) I am also a hardcore comics/graphic novel fan and am getting into Spider-Gwen right now. I love the concept. Plus who doesn't love alt-realities. hmmm...that gives me an idea.

Blah I have ONE paragraph left, and then I have to edit this stupid paper and it is giving me such a time. Now I have a headache on top of it all.

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
Old 02-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, I would really only consider myself part of one actual fandom that I actively engage with other fans with, and that's ASOIAF. But there are certainly several shows/books I have an ongoing interest in.

My thing is it's really hard for me to actually write as an already established fictional character. I'll do it if there's nothing else going on, but I've always preferred creating my own characters in general.

Libby: I randomly started watch The Paradise last night. I put it on when I was trying to sleep thinking I would not be especially interested in it, and then it was 4am and I was about five episodes deep.

And I was halfway through episode six when I realized the main character was your girl Joanna Vanderham.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Master Fan

I'm a writer,so I agree. However,lately I've been writing odd stories and one of them is based on the SNL skit about Matt the Radar Technician. A friend and I were going to do a private s/l of that, but it fell through. Writing that meant writing as one or two fandom characters. The game I started is from a story I was writing. I wanted to come up with something to save the board and thought it might be fun.

I think as long as it's not OOC or you're making them a sue/stu,it's okay. I'm too afraid of haters to show my story to anyone,but if only you see it, I don't think it matters.

It's funny,though. We all worry about Mary Sues, whether it's fandom or OC's. Sammy showed me a great article about Mary Sues and it was so spot-on. James Bond is a total gary Stu,but we worship him. Rumplestiltskin on Once Upon A Time is a god mode Gary Stu from hell,but he has legions of fans. So I think even if we're writing as fandom characters,they still shouldn't count as a sue unless it's god-moding. I made my game flexible for the same reason. Worrying about sue and stu issues can stifle creativity. If male characters can be as 133t as they want, then that -Female characters can,too.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:19 PM
Master Fan

I honestly don't really care too much about the concept of Mary Sue. A character lacking in any flaws will not be as compelling a character to read or write and I don't think that's nearly as much of an issue as it used to be. I for one always try to keep the whole "Greek Tragic Flaw" philosophy in mind and as long as I can focus one of those tragic flaws on a character, I think they tend to turn out alright.

It's godmodding that can be the issue. People can have powerful characters and you actually need some characters that command more "power" (be it physical strength, an army, magic, whatever the plot calls for) in order to move the plot along. But in a setting such as this one where people are collaborating with other people, you can't just assume things about their characters without consulting them first.

I think we've been pretty good about that lately too.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Elite Fan

Haha, I'm glad you like The Paradise! My girl is excellent in it. Sadly, it got canceled.

Sorry I've been MIA but work and life are jam packed. I'm honestly not sure when I'll have free time to post regularly. I'm still interested in MPG but time to write is scarce if not nonexistent.