Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

4x19 "The Future Dunphys" episode discussion

Modern Family Season 4 Episode 19 “The Future Dunphys” – When Phil takes Claire to the hospital for her angiogram, they encounter a family that is basically their future selves, and they’re not sure they like what they see. Manny drags Jay on a visit to a prospective private school, and Mitch and Cam organize a fun “girls day” for Gloria and Lily — but it becomes a spontaneous “cultural day” instead — on Modern Family,” WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3 (9:00-9:31 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 AM
Moderator Manager

This episode was absoutely fantastic. I felt like all the storylines were important and this one I will remember a lot because, imo, it's a very strong episode especially the writing. Just wow. I don't think there's a weak storyline. I really enjoyed all of it.

The Mitch/Cam SL with Lily is I feel a very strong storyline because it shows us that Lily starts asking questions. First about her body which they know very little of, thus they ask Gloria's help. Then Lily tells Gloria she's gay which is of course a concern for Mitch/Cam and what made her say it. When they find out it's more about heritage, we discover that they know little about Vietnam and Gloria expresses concern that Manny is forgetting Spanish and Joe will grow up not knowing his culture at all. That scene in the resto was really good, especially all of Cam's lines and the shared emotion in that table that yes, they know very little about other cultures or that they are losing grasp of their own culture (Gloria's case). I think this will also be a start of Lily's many questions about life and she is growing up so this SL made it really important for me.

The Jay/Manny scene in that private school was also a good one. Jay was reminded of things he wanted before unfold in-front of him and is happening now to Manny that he now wants this bad for him. That AMAZING scene between them on the steps of the school was very touching. Jay doesn't express emotions freely, he's not touchy feely or expressive. So to hear him say those words to Manny made me really teary-eyed. I'm glad it was Jay accompanying Manny to that school because it really gave Manny that push at the interview. I also LOL'd at Manny's sofa interview when he started to sing the school verse and he was cut off immediately. Clever one, Ryan Case.

And lastly, the Dunphy storyline was perfect. I love that Phil & Claire saw future versions of their kids on Norman's kids and their varying reactions to how they dealt with their kids cracked me up. It also brought them even more closer and they realized that their parenting skills work no matter what - that is until their kids came in complaining about them. But we all know that with the right guidance, these Dunphy kids can manage. I love that shot of the family in the end who are now similar to the Dunphys and looking at them in a judgemental way and Claire saying "Save the judgy look for another 15 years".

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This episode was SO good! I laughed all the way through and it was a fantastic directorial debut from Ryan Case. You said everything perfectly so I just jotted down my favourite bits whilst I watched it.

Phil and Claire That beginning scene where Claire orders Phil to talk to his kids, he gives them ALL the wrong advice so holding the fire extinguisher Claire goes "Step away from the children!"

Mitch and Cam In their interview talking about Lily needing a feminine influence and Cam is unknowingly gesturing with his hands until Mitch tells him, just sit on them! Very funny. My colleague is gay also and gosh he acts just like Cam its hilarious (but we poke fun at him).

Lily Her interpretation that she must be gay because her daddies are gay is very sweet. She obviously hears them talk about it a lot and assumes its what she is. She does need to have a closer connection to vietnam.

Luke He was absolutely hilarious. I love this line and the perfect delivery, it killed me.

Quote:
here’s what we know. Mom had to go to hospital for a simple procedure. Then mom and dad started calling us all weird. Open your eyes people. They’ve been kidnapped.
Cam Did anyone notice that he is drinking Fah at the restaurant? He mentioned that soup to their paedritician. Great reference.

I'll be back with more thoughts, a bit later.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Moderator Support Team

I really love this episode.. Everything was funny..

I love Mitch/Cam/Lily/Gloria conversation and the way they thought that it was about her being gay then it's about her culture.. I love everything w/ it..

Also, the hospital scene plus adult version of Luke/Haley/Haley.. I love it..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

More thoughts:

I love how Mitch/Cam/Gloria were saying certain things that made the whole restaurant stare them So much so that Mitch was like "I'll get the car."

I love the end of Phil and Luke trying their pancake flipper and just when they leave, it works! Their relationship is so cute!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Moderator Manager

Yes! Thanks for pointing those out. I love that end part between Phil & Luke too. Such a great dynamic between them.

And that entire restaurant scene with Cam, Mitch, Lily & Gloria was one of the funniest for me.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I just can't get over Cam mentioning the Fah soup
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Dedicated Fan

Lol the fah thing reminds me of the time they took lily to the hospital/doctors and Cam asked if he was pronouncing it right lol.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Moderator Manager

Mitch & Cam meant well and they're trying but it was just so hilarious in that restaurant.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Gotta love them for their efforts. Always causing a scene and like they said, now Lily has caused a scene