Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Master Fan

4x14 - "A Slight At The Opera" Episode Discussion

Quote:
FAMILY MEMBERS GET CAUGHT UP IN SOME NOT-SO-FRIENDLY COMPETITION, ON ABC'S "MODERN FAMILY"

Nathan Lane ("The Producers") Returns as Pepper, And Fred Willard ("Best in Show") as Frank Dunphy

"A Slight at the Opera" - Cameron is putting on the school production of "Phantom of the Opera," but when their star falls ill, Manny pulls all the stops to land the lead -- even if that means going against Luke. Meanwhile, Jay teaches Phil to golf and they wind up in a golf-off with Pepper and Mitch; Gloria takes Alex along on errands which include a visit to a psychic; and Claire's adventures in babysitting Joe and Lily become a comedy of errors, on "Modern Family," WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6 (9:00-9:31 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

"Modern Family" stars Ed O'Neill as Jay, Julie Bowen as Claire, Ty Burrell as Phil, Sofía Vergara as Gloria, Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitchell, Eric Stonestreet as Cameron, Sarah Hyland as Haley, Nolan Gould as Luke, Ariel Winter as Alex, Rico Rodriguez as Manny and Aubrey Anderson-Emmons as Lily.

Guest cast includes Nathan Lane as Pepper Saltzman, Fred Willard as Frank Dunphy, Reid Ewing as Dylan, Piper Mackenzie Harris as Maureen Schick, Norma Maldonado as Marta, Nicholas Furu as Doug, Molly Lamont as Clara, Lucia Vecchio as Debbie, Duncan Burrell as Carl and Jarrod Bailey as cute boy.

"A Slight at the Opera" was written by Paul Corrigan and Brad Walsh, and directed by Jim Bagdonas.
Eric Stonestreet - Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series Emmy 2010/2012
Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for the thread, Caro!

I loved this episode. It had it's moments for me, mostly the one of Manny which reminded me of my high school days.

First off the storylines I didn't like: Gloria/Alex. It was just meh for me. It doesn't have anything to do with me not believing psychics like Alex but I think it was not really a strong storyline. I do like that Alex didn't tell Gloria about her skepticism. And hopefully that tennis guy will be Alex's boy.

Storylines I did like are everything else. I loved how Claire forgot to babysit Fulgencio because she was obsessing about the safety of that golf ball she tripped on when Phil was pratising at home. Who knew Dylan is good with babies (AND YAY HE'S BACK!). I kept on laughing when he wanted a pic together with Haley & the kids because felt like a family. Actually, they do look like a family with Lily & Fulgencio. Their argument in the end made no sense that it was hilarious! But please don't break-up. I love Dylan/Haley forever.

I also enjoyed the Mitch-Pepper (YAY!)-Jay-Phil golf bonding. How adorable was Phil's sad face when Jay was insulting him? It made him play good but still...we all know Jay won't put the brakes on insulting Phil. And who knew that Mitch was taking golf lessons with Pepper? I wish we'll see more of Pepper soon. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing Jay & Mitch play golf. I really hope that happens.

My absolute favorite is the Manny-Luke-Cam storyline. Who knew that Luke can sing? And boy can this kid sing! I loved Manny's confidence in this play which is really telling of his personality. Luke being the typical boy freaked out when Cam considered him to play Phantom (Manny was saying that it's probably the paint fumes why he sang that good, haha). And Frank Dunphy is back too (YAY!!!). He came to watch this play because he supports his son like Phil supports Luke. He was supposed to miss the play but in the end (after hearing "Cats in the Cradle"), he had a change of heart. Loved the end where Phil was on the trampoline with a client and doing those gymanastics flips again.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved this episode! So much.

I agree about the Gloria/Alex story being weak. It felt out of place, but I did like the twist that Alex ended up meeting a fella. Who knows, he was kinda cute.

So many guest stars in this episode! I was so happy to see Dylan back and being all cuddly with the kids, they were so adorable and it was so funny when Haley and Dylan had that argument, acting like a married couple!

I loved seeing Cam at work and Manny desperately wanting that part. He did his best to drive Luke away but in the end his kind heart changed his mind. I couldn't believe that was Nolan singing! He is brave. I was SO happy to see Frank and totally laughed when he said he came all this way to see his grandson's painted wall

The Phil-Mitch-Jay story was amazing, and Pepper is back!! I love how Jay's insults make Phil - and Mitch- play better although Phil started to cry and it seemed like it made Jay and Mitch a lot closer. Then Pepper plays the song to them all and they are all in tears!! The end was great, Phil and his client trampolining instead

I did like the Claire story, it was a nice filler, but we never did see Phil's reaction.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Moderator Manager

That tennis guy was kinda cute. I hope he's the one.

True, there were so many guest stars in this episode but that's the thing about this show. The guest stars don't overpower the cast and because they were recurring guest stars, it was really a joy to see them.

There was something lacking with Claire's story for me. I liked that she failed to babysit Fulgencio but I hope Jay & Gloria finds out. And we also didn't see the aftermath with Claire, about realizing what she has been doing and being sorry for it.

Did we know Nolan can sing because I didn't so that was really a good suprise for me.

Also, so nice to have Ty's brother Duncan on the show who played Phil's client on the trampoline.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't expect so many guest stars but you're right, it didn't feel overpowering or out of place. Plus them being stars we knew, it felt just right.

It would have been nice to see what happened in the aftermath of claire's story. it felt incomplete.

I had no idea Nolan could sing! I always thought if he did it would be done all goofy but its like, he's always comical and then he bursts into this beautiful voice.

I didn't know that was Ty's brother! They do look alike now that I think about it.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:55 AM
Moderator Manager

I didn't know Nolan could sing either. I'm like "did I miss something?" because I really didn't know. So it looks like Eric, Jesse, Ariel & Nolan are the singers of the cast.

I love that it was Ty's brother who played his client on the show. They look alike and Duncan seems goofy too.

I'm already looking forward to this week's episode. We do have an ep this week?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

We do as far as I know.

We know Sofia sings but poorly and Sarah does a bit I think?