Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

3x20 "The Last Walt" Episode Discussion

Quote:
CAMERON'S DAD IS VISITING FROM THE FARM, AND WHEN JAY COMES OVER, IT'S TWO MANLY MEN SQUARING OFF, ON ABC'S "MODERN FAMILY"

Barry Corbin ("Dallas," "The Closer") Guest Stars as Merle Tucker

"The Last Walt" - Claire delicately helps Luke cope with the fact that his friend and their old neighbor, Walt, has passed. Phil takes Alex for some father-daughter bonding time, and Haley throws an unauthorized party. Meanwhile, Jay and Gloria go over to Mitch and Cam's to have dinner with Cam's father, Merle, who is in town visiting -- and awkwardness and tension seem to be the rule of the night -- on "Modern Family," WEDNESDAY, APRIL 18 (9:00-9:31 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

"Modern Family" stars Ed O'Neill as Jay, Julie Bowen as Claire, Ty Burrell as Phil, Sof’a Vergara as Gloria, Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitchell, Eric Stonestreet as Cameron, Sarah Hyland as Haley, Nolan Gould as Luke, Ariel Winter as Alex, Rico Rodriguez as Manny and Aubrey Anderson-Emmons as Lily.

Guest cast includes Barry Corbin as Merle Tucker, Rachael Marie as Gabby, Chip Sickler as Patron, Julian Works as Sam, Mandy McMillian as Francine, Stacey Travis as Kim and Malcolm Foster Smith as Isaac.

"The Last Walt" was written by Dan O'Shannon, Paul Corrigan and Brad Walsh, and directed by Michael Spiller.

Source: ABC
I'm dreading this episode.

Last edited by Sweet Embrace; 04-18-2012 at 11:55 AM
Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Moderator Manager

After a very lackluster ep last week for me, I'm so glad to find this ep amazing. I cried! I wasn't expecting to but I did. And I love it when MF does this to me.

Phil & Alex

I think it's about time they have a scene together. Phil's right, amongst his kids Alex is the one he hasn't bonded with the most. I love that he was trying his best and Alex at first wasn't too keen but she ended up enjoying every moment of it. That kiss in the car said it all. And of coursre that graffiti at Moonbeam.

Mitch, Cam, Jay & Gloria

Finally we meet Cam's dad Merle and I love him! He's definitely an older version of Cam. He's good at fixing things around the house. I like the storyline of Jay & Merle who aren't too fond of each other. Jay isn't fond of Phil, I mean he's still trying his best and he's obviously one tough cookie and Merle is the opposite of him. I also thought Merle was making Mitch the "wife" in the relationship and I love Jay for defending them both to Merle: that there shouldn't be that distinction between them. I love Mitch & Cam in this ep too because they tried to make this dinner for their dads but ended up having to compete against each other when Jay & Merle had to make that bed to prove a point.

Claire & Luke

OMG I cried in one of their scenes. When Claire got all worried because Luke was not reacting to Walt's death, I was kind of worried as well but instantly I thought that's how kids react at first. And then when Claire orders him to return the TV he took from Walt's house and he put it back and realized that he sees the TV from his room, that's when I started to cry. Luke got choked up and Claire started crying. Brilliant scene. I can watch it over & over again. It reminded me of Manny's birthday in s2 where they were both in the car and Luke told Claire that he only wanted to be with Phil because he thinks that he's need him more.

Finally, Haley & Manny didn't have much of a storyline in this ep. Or probably I didn't enjoy it as much as the others but it's still good. Gloria got very little on this one too. I did love their scene at the end where Gloria was scolding Manny for not enjoying the party and Haley for throwing a party because there were no adults around.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Moderator Support Team

I really enjoy everything in this episode..

I really can't believe that Clarie was smiling when she gave the bad news.. And I feel bad for those people felt insulted because of her smiling..

And I love the part that Phil wrote her name on the sign.. <33 So sweet of him do that for her to remember that moment.. <33

And lastly, I'm glad that Gloria finally tell Manny that he should do those to have fun than being serious since he's a kid after all and love how she told Haley that she's glad that Manny can ruin her party..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

See I'm the exact opposite. I really disliked the episode. Last week was so solid and emotional, here, they put in so many storylines and none of them really worked for me.

All good stories separately, but Manny babysitting? seemed like a good story on paper, but didn't transpire on screen. Luke's reaction and Claire smiling, good idea but it wasnt very funny to me. And I'd much rather they break the news to him, after happy setting to show how he takes it, he could be subdued or he could have just shrugged it off and shown his emotions to someone else.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Cam's dad was hilarious! And I love that Jay stood up for Mitch. I love that MF addresses real issues and misunderstandings like that.

Claire/Luke... loved every minute of it

Highlight to me though was Phil trying to make that girl have her baby. He and Alex need more scenes
Old 04-21-2012, 05:40 AM
Extreme Fan

It wasn't so good as last week's but I still enjoyed it!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlyshorty85 (View Post)
I really can't believe that Clarie was smiling when she gave the bad news.. And I feel bad for those people felt insulted because of her smiling..

And I love the part that Phil wrote her name on the sign.. <33 So sweet of him do that for her to remember that moment.. <33
See I'm like Claire. I don't know how to cope with death, especially if it's a death of a friend's relative. I don't know what to say and how to say it. In that way, I can relate to her. Yes, I love all the Phil & Alex moments too. So glad they've finally had a chance to bond together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misst89 (View Post)
All good stories separately, but Manny babysitting? seemed like a good story on paper, but didn't transpire on screen. Luke's reaction and Claire smiling, good idea but it wasnt very funny to me. And I'd much rather they break the news to him, after happy setting to show how he takes it, he could be subdued or he could have just shrugged it off and shown his emotions to someone else.
I have a lot of issues with the Manny/Haley storyline as well. That was the only thing that I didn't like about the ep so much but I'm glad the others saved the ep for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Waves (View Post)
Cam's dad was hilarious! And I love that Jay stood up for Mitch. I love that MF addresses real issues and misunderstandings like that.

Claire/Luke... loved every minute of it

Highlight to me though was Phil trying to make that girl have her baby. He and Alex need more scenes
Yes to all of this. That whole thing between Merle & Jay is very much present in most families nowadays. So funny how they were mimicking their sons laugh just so they can prove a point. I agree, Phil & Alex should have more scenes in future eps.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I guess I can understand why Claire smiles when giving bad news, maybe she is sheltered and doesn't like to give bad news so its her way of protecting other people.

I felt they could have done a lot more with manny and haley which is a shame.

It is good we saw Cam's father and how he got on with Jay.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Moderator Manager

Oh dear this scene. I'm really glad Jay's getting great storylines this season.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Haha Jay's face! I forgot Lily was in the scene playing with Haley
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Moderator Manager

Me too. She wasn't in the episode that much, only in that scene if I recall correctly.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think I'll rewatch this at some point and see if I like it more, on a second viewing
Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Moderator Manager

I will have to re-watch it too. For so many reasons, this episode is so much WIN for me.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

On rewatch I think my favourite scenes are the ones with alex and phil. I love how he made a special memory for her. I wonder when she will find the initials he carved
Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Moderator Manager

I would love for them to come back in that same restaurant, Alex with her family and Phil's a grandfather. I will cry.