Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

3x16 - "Virgin Territory" Episode Discussion

Quote:
PHIL WITNESSES A MAJOR T.M.I. MOMENT AND PROMPTLY GOES INTO DENIAL, ON ABC'S "MODERN FAMILY"

Ernie Hudson ("Ghostbusters"), Marc Vann ("CSI") and Jack Laufer ("Huff") Guest Star

"Virgin Territory" - It's a day of disturbing realizations when Mitchell manages to ruin one of Jay's proudest golf moments, Phil overhears something that may forever change how he sees his little girl, and Gloria stumbles upon Claire's dangerous little secret, on "Modern Family," WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 22 (9:00-9:31 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

"Modern Family" stars Ed O'Neill as Jay, Julie Bowen as Claire, Ty Burrell as Phil, Sof�a Vergara as Gloria, Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitchell, Eric Stonestreet as Cameron, Sarah Hyland as Haley, Nolan Gould as Luke, Ariel Winter as Alex, Rico Rodriguez as Manny and Aubrey Anderson-Emmons as Lily.

Guest cast includes Ernie Hudson as Miles, Jack Laufer as Frank, Marc Vann as Stan, Will Greenberg as Dr. Goodall, Jess Allen as Viggo, Hollis Robinson as Miranda and Tim Monsion as Waiter.

"Virgin Territory" was written by Elaine Ko and directed by Jason Winer.

"Modern Family" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's Selected HD Format, with 5.1 channel surround sound. This program carries a TV-PG,L parental guideline.

I've been looking forward to this ep for ages, since I know a little spoiler.

Last edited by carito; 02-22-2012 at 06:06 PM
Old 02-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Moderator Manager

I can't wait for the new episode!

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Master Fan

Sis I changed the title for the official one
Eric Stonestreet - Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series Emmy 2010/2012
Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Elite Fan

my love for Phil Dunphy grows more and more every week lol awww Haley saying
"I have a cool dad" almost in tears was adorable!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Master Fan

I don't think any father deals well with learning their daughters aren't virgins anymore. My father freaked out with both me and my sisters. Though I think Phil will handle it better than my father.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:13 AM
Moderator Manager

This is not a great episode for me because it was BRILLIANT. I love it! Traces of s1 and s2 make it enjoyable for me. I love it when the family's together and there are good storylines to tell.

Jay & Mitch

Probably my favourite scene of all. I do think it's typical Mitch to burst his father's balloon over brunch but you can clearly see Jay hurt when he found out the truth about that hole-in-one. That scene of them reminscing about Mitch's 14th birthday was the best. But then Jay forgets what they were talking about. Typical Jay. I've said this already and I'll just say it again: Someone give Ed an Emmy already.

Claire & Gloria

Their scene was reminiscent of "Dance Dance Revolution" for me in s2 where that was Claire's thing. This too was Claire's thing - shooting range. Who knew? (I didn't!) It was funny how Claire was trying to get away from Gloria and worm her way to the firing range but she caught her. Of course, Gloria's aim is much better than Claire.

Phil, Haley & Alex

I think that doll shop was bizaare. But I love Phil in this one because, like with what was said, Phil handled the virginity issue of Haley well. Most fathers wouldn't. He is the cool dad and the girls are so lucky to have him. Their scene was also reminiscent of season 2 "Manny Get Your Gun" - where they were all bonding and then crying. Only this time, it was a shock to Phil for finding that out about his big girl. Claire said it best too in the end. And he was glad he just found out.

Manny & Luke

Love it! Very "Thelma & Louise". We see Manny and his usual girl troubles and Luke just having a good time in that car. That trap for Lily was hilarious. Luke has always been plotting his revenge on Lily the moment she pushed him and even if it didn't work, at least they both got $20 just to clean Cam's car (not to drive it of course, haha). I was laughing when Manny was driving the car ever so slowly and playing really loud hiphop music and trying to act all cool (Luke's idea).

The Cam storyline is probably the weakest for me. I love it because it's typical Cam but it could have been better. I love Claire singing to him a TV remote song. And Lily is adorable in this ep. "Daddy you're ruining brunch!"

Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

This was a great episode.

Phil and Haley was just a great storyline. I had read that Phil was supposed to lose it when he found out, but it was the opposite. It was so well handled and so tender, touching, and sweet. The scene in the doll hospital, when they were really talking about Haley and this situation, was clever. Phil is the cool dad and when Haley says it? Aww! I also loved it when Phil confronted Claire on the subject and he hugged and thanked her for not telling him about it for three months. Letting him think his little girl was still his little girl for a little while longer.

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by carito (View Post)
Sis I changed the title for the official one
Where do you get the official synopsis's? So I know in the future.

I absolutely agree. Phil thought he blew it with how he reacted and I almost thought he would talk to Haley about it. But maybe talking about it would make him feel worse...and Haley seemed really touched. Saying "I have a cool dad" in that sad way was heartbreaking.

I loved the Jay and Mitch bonding. I think it was due. So Lindz I totally agree. It was great for Jay to show that side of him when he told Mitch something sweet, and Mitch busting him is typical.

I love Luke and Manny being the "bad boys" They think they're bad, but they are just silly little things!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Master Fan

I love Phil and Haley scenes. That storyline was very sweet and I love Haley saying she has a cool dad.

Booth/Brennan Chuck/Blair Angel/Buffy Rigsby/Van Pelt
Old 02-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

All the things Phil said to the doll doctor had its double meaning and everything, when he told Haley "you do whatever feels right." she just embraces him
Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Moderator Support Team

^ I love that..

I really love the whole Phil/Haley scenes so far even I didn't know that they have doctor for fixing a doll.. So interesting, but so adorable.. <3

I love the part that Alex and the doll look exactly like her, but surprise that she didn't notice that..

I was cracking up when Manny was driving the car to get the girl's attention even he drives like a grandma.. So amusing..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybgb (View Post)
Phil and Haley was just a great storyline. I had read that Phil was supposed to lose it when he found out, but it was the opposite. It was so well handled and so tender, touching, and sweet. The scene in the doll hospital, when they were really talking about Haley and this situation, was clever. Phil is the cool dad and when Haley says it? Aww! I also loved it when Phil confronted Claire on the subject and he hugged and thanked her for not telling him about it for three months. Letting him think his little girl was still his little girl for a little while longer.
I agree with all of this. The usual dads will freak out, give you a scolding and you're grounded for life. Not Phil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misst89 (View Post)
I loved the Jay and Mitch bonding. I think it was due. So Lindz I totally agree. It was great for Jay to show that side of him when he told Mitch something sweet, and Mitch busting him is typical.
It's those little moments like this that make me love an ep. I always love a sweet moment between these two because they've never been really "close" in terms of playing sports or talking about girls which are not really Mitch's interest except if the topic of girls were Broadway actresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue54 (View Post)
I love Phil and Haley scenes. That storyline was very sweet and I love Haley saying she has a cool dad.
Me too. We already love Phil so this episode is reminding us that yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlyshorty85 (View Post)
I love the part that Alex and the doll look exactly like her, but surprise that she didn't notice that..

I was cracking up when Manny was driving the car to get the girl's attention even he drives like a grandma.. So amusing..
I love the mini Alex doll too. So cute. And the Manny/Luke scene was priceless! The things you do to impress a girl...specifically the things Manny does.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It did really touch me to see how broken Phil was when he found out. He even admitted in the onscreen interview he knew Haley was a big girl but it was just a reminder that she was growing up and he was torn about letting go. Its one of the rare moments where you truly see how he feels about his kids, all the joking aside.

The Jay and Mitch scene could have been awkward with no real resolve so I am glad they went the way of giving Jay time to show Mitch he does remember things about his childhood even if he may not show it.

Oh manny reversing..smooth!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Moderator Manager

I bet Nolan & Rico had a fun time filming that scene.

True. That Phil/Haley moment was a rare and sweet moment between the two and we've had quite some moments with them this season. It just shows us that Haley is growing, she'll be off to college soon, and her parents are gonna be a wreck when she leaves. I'm sure Alex will be sad too.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't know what it is about Haley/Phil scenes that kill me. From the previous seasons it was when Dylan and Haley broke up and Phil was there to comfort Haley. Being his first born, I think there's a special bond already, Phil's struggle is in her wanting to be more independent.