Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-25-2013, 03:47 AM
Master Fan

{Season 5 Premiere} "Suddenly Last Summer" & "First Days" Episode Discussion

Quote:
SEASON FIVE OPENS WITH SOMETHING SO BIG, YOU'LL WANT
TO SPEND A FULL HOUR WITH "MODERN FAMILY" -- AND CAN -
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25 ON THE ABC TELEVISION NETWORK

ABC's acclaimed hit comedy, "Modern Family," returns for its fifth season with a special one-hour event, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. In the first half of the hour -- "Suddenly, Last Summer" -- the family is in the throes of summer activities: Phil and Claire are trying to orchestrate a kid-free week by coordinating Luke's camp with Haley's beach trip and Alex's volunteering excursion; Jay and Gloria are getting Manny ready for his first solo trip back to Colombia; and Mitch and Cam make it a summer to remember. In the second half-hour - "First Days" -- Luke and Manny have their first day at high school, which proves to be harder for Phil and Gloria than for the boys. Elsewhere, Claire makes her big return to the workforce at Jay's closet company and is a little rusty on her first day, and Cam starts a new substituting gig at the high school, leaving Mitch to try to juggle Lily's first day in 1st grade and a very important meeting at work.

"Modern Family" stars Ed O'Neill as Jay, Julie Bowen as Claire, Ty Burrell as Phil, Sofia Vergara as Gloria, Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitchell, Eric Stonestreet as Cameron, Sarah Hyland as Haley, Nolan Gould as Luke, Ariel Winter as Alex, Rico Rodriguez as Manny and Aubrey Anderson-Emmons as Lily.

Guest cast for "Suddenly, Last Summer" includes Lauren Pritchard as waitress, Courtney Grosbeck as Carly, Jill Matson-Sachoff as Kate, aka Carly's mom, Phil Young as man. "Suddenly, Last Summer" was written by Jeffrey Richman and directed by James Bagdonas.

Guest cast for "First Days" includes Justin Kirk as Charlie Bingham, J.P. Manoux as Todd, Andrew Daly as Principal Brown, David Haydn-Jones as director, Mitchell Edmonds as Albert, Nicholas Hormann as Roy, Craig Welzbacher as office worker, Marsha Kramer as Margaret, Evan Hofer as big guy, Kenny Ridwan as student, Zachary Mitchell as Tyler and Caleb Thomas as freshman boy. "First Days" was written by Paul Corrigan and Brad Walsh, and directed by Steven Levitan.
Eric Stonestreet - Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series Emmy 2010/2012
Old 09-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

loved the premiere. I just started watching this.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixonxnavade (View Post)
loved the premiere. I just started watching this.
Same here.

This show is hilarious!!

Diana
Old 09-26-2013, 03:54 AM
Loyal Fan

deleted

Last edited by StarryFlower; 04-04-2014 at 09:04 AM
Old 09-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Christopher Walk-In Closet

Lily running into the wall

"Look at your eyes", "I can't"

"I always get a whistle when I'm in shorts"

Cam and Mitch!

Brilliant. God, I missed you Modern Family!

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Old 09-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for this Caro!

New fans

I jotted down my favourite bits as I watched it.

First thing I noticed: Baby joe is huge! Well as in he's bigger. Nolan is so much taller and I noticed the difference in his voice.

The new intro! Looks good but the background looked off to me.

Claire and Phil - I found the idea that they had a whiteboard in - which room was that? - hilarious and their scheming to get rid of the kids (even though they tried to get rid of each other in the process).

Gay marriage is legal! I wonder if this was (it must be) inspired by Jesse and Justin tying the knot. I loved mitch and cam both running around trying to plan the perfect proposal.

Claire's twisted ideas for proposal were hilarious, she was almost evil in some of her suggestions and when Phil told her of all his sentimental things, she was about to cry and that was really sweet!

I love when Jay said to Lily "No one ever leaves home without coming back." and Lily went "I did!" I love that she's older and more snarky.

In the end it was kinda great that the proposal didn't happen perfectly, but when they were fixing the car and then Mitchell got on his knee and they just say Yes, it was so beautiful!

I'll post the next ep thoughts a bit later.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Phil remains the best
Old 09-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for getting this started, Caro!

I love both episodes. What a great way to start off S5. I think I lost it when both Cam & Mitch said yes. They're going to get married and that episode will kill me, I know it. I love the stories of how Jay proposed to Gloria and how Phil is such a romantic for keeping all those memories of him & Claire.

2nd ep made me emotional as well. Luke & Manny are both growing up and I loved that Phil & Gloria shared that mutual feeling. And Claire is back working! And I absolutely love that Cam is the new football coach. He loves the sport (because he even painted his face in S1 just to watch a game) and he is the perfect choice.

I think I'll re-watch these eps again over the weekend and post here my favorite lines from the ep (and there are a lot). Great start MF.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

2nd ep:

Here's some of my favourite bits.

I found it really emotional that Phil was so affected by Luke growing apart from him. I mean, he still loves his dad and wants to hang with him but there is also a part of him that wants to grow up. I like that he and Gloria got to bond over that and I thought Gloria and Phil miming was brilliantly played, until Phil broke down crying!

I loved that Cam was in that outfit coaching the team. He is perfect for it. He tried hard with the history Alex kind of annoyed me by the way she was adament that Cam shouldn't be her teacher and I hope she loosens up a bit.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by misst89 (View Post)
I found it really emotional that Phil was so affected by Luke growing apart from him. I mean, he still loves his dad and wants to hang with him but there is also a part of him that wants to grow up. I like that he and Gloria got to bond over that and I thought Gloria and Phil miming was brilliantly played, until Phil broke down crying!

I loved that Cam was in that outfit coaching the team. He is perfect for it. He tried hard with the history Alex kind of annoyed me by the way she was adament that Cam shouldn't be her teacher and I hope she loosens up a bit.
I didn't like the Haley storyline in the 2nd ep because it was bordering a bit on the ridiculous especially with Mitch's boss. And like you, I thought Alex was a bit harsh with Cam. I mean I would get embarrassed too but I wouldn't want to embarrass my uncle in-front of everyone.

I love/hate seeing Phil cry. I love it because it's hilarious but I don't like it because you know that he's really super sad. I think that was the first time we saw him cry over Luke like that.

Also props to Aubrey for being really game about her stunts now. She's so ridiculously hilarious and getting better at it. Watch out Sarah, Nolan, Ariel & Rico.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, with Haley I hope they don't turn her into someone who dates around and flirts with anyone. Yeah especially if that was my uncle, I would have told him that in private. I'd have liked for Alex to be more supportive.

It was a funny scene to see Phil cry! It almost made it less sad, because of the absurd situation!

She is. I've been pleasantly impressed with Aubrey!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Moderator Manager

I don't like seeing Phil cry, it makes me sad too but I do understand what you mean because he ended up bawling his eyes out more than Gloria.

I'm going to reserve my judgment and think that there will be an episode which we'll love for both Haley & Alex. I always enjoy those ones where they have to spend time with their parents. It brings out the best/worst in them.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah of the times Phil has cried, only one time has it really made me tear up (when he talked about his mum) the other times were done in a lighthearted manner - when he cried in front of the girls, and here.

Yeah its still early days for Haley and Alex - I'm sure throughout the season we'll see more opportunities for character growth.