Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2018, 05:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, Arinna! Thanks! You too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGSAFDMD (View Post)
I'm off on american holidays cause I work for an american company and there's no point of us being here when the US workers are not in, we depend on some of them quite often... so
Hi, May! That's lucky for you. You should get off because there's no reason to come in to a place that's gonna be nearly empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
From 1954 to 1990, 17 June was an official holiday in the Federal Republic of Germany to commemorate the Uprising of 1953 in East Germany. Since 1963, it was proclaimed by the President of the Federal Republic as "National Day of Memorial of the German People". There are streets named after the date.

Okay, I'm sorry now but as a good Catholic you should know that The Feast of Corpus Christi (Latin for "Body of Christ") is celebrating the real presence of the body and blood of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, in the Eucharist—known as transubstantiation. Always on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday. A public holiday in many countries/regions in Europe.

Also Assumption Day as in the Assumption of Mary... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_of_Mary – that's a public holiday in normal person land.

And thus endeth my teachable moment. Or how else will you ever win at trivia?
Hi, Nina! Thanks for all that!

Sorry, the church I went to was a Ukrainian church, Nina. Everything was almost always spoken in Ukrainian and written in Cyrillic, so I didn't hear much about The Feast of Corpus Christi, even at the masses that were in English. My dad didn't want me or my sister to be able to communicate in a language he couldn't understand, which is why I never learned Ukrainian or Cyrillic... well, because that's who my dad was. Also, my church may have been technically affiliated with the Catholic church, but they were given dispensation from the Vatican to keep their Orthodox traditions, so the stuff we did wasn't quite the same as in other Catholic churches.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Elite Fan

Well, perhaps not 'Corpus Christi', you're probably right about the Eastern church exemption – and as a Protestant, we celebrate communion and the Body of Christ on Maundy Thursday. But for (Roman) Catholics 'Corpus Christi' is a huge deal – the host is put into a monstrance: these can be eleborate pieces of art, not unlike Greek icons... and then the priest goes around and blesses the people with the Eucharist displayed in the monstrance. This blessing differs from the priest's blessing, as it is seen to be the blessing by Christ rather than that of the individual priest. The exposition of the monstrance during Benediction is traditionally accompanied by chanting or singing of the hymn Tantum Ergo. In times of war, priests often carried monstrances into the field with them to bless the soldiers who were close to death.

I'm sorry to say but I think your father did you a disservice by not letting you become bilingual. Perhaps when you have more time now it's time to pick up on some of these things and reclaim your heritage.

It must have been in the back of my mind but I must have forgotten that you have a sister. My apologies, Alex!

All that being said, The Assumption of Mary is a universal feast day for all Roman and Greek Catholics and Protestants alike.

Yeah, May is lucky indeed. It's more than I get.

Hey Arinna!

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 05-30-2018, 06:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I think we did something like that during Easter, when there was a picture of Jesus being taken off the cross and people would line up to kiss the wounds on his hands, feet, and head. But I don't remember anything like you describe. But I do recognize that monstrance you posted. I guess the Greek/Orthodox stuff is similar to the Ukrainian stuff. Thank you for explaining the traditions for me. I probably did have the Assumption of Mary and just didn't know it.

I agree, I think my dad did me a disservice in many ways, not just that, Nina. He got married and had me and my sister when he was very young, so he was a bit immature about a lot of things. I really wish I had learned those things when I was young because being bilingual is always an advantage, but my dad cared more about his own insecurities. And you don't have to apologize for forgetting I had a sister, Nina. It happens. We have a lot of discussions on FF and things can slip one's mind.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:51 PM
Elite Fan

I remember you talked about your brother who was killed and you did not re-connect unfortunately.

Yes, my Protestant church doesn't do that … I just know a lot about Catholic traditions because part of the family is Catholic and so was a former partner of mine. But yes Maundy Thursday is the only time we celebrate communion apart fron NYE.

I agree that it's easier when you're young to learn all these things. I mean you don't have to be perfect but it may be nice to re-connect a bit when you have the chance now that you're out of debt and things are looking up!

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 05-30-2018, 07:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, my brother, Sean. He was killed in a shooting at the convenience store he worked at, Circle K, in Cape Coral, Florida. We hadn't spoken since after my father died and I never got a chance to reconnect with him. Now I wish I had.

Oh, you go to a protestant church, Nina? I was actually baptized by my grandfather who was a priest in the Episcopal church, even though I hardly ever went to that church. Again, my dad's decision.

I'd love to reconnect with those things, but I never have time to do any of that stuff now with work and moderating three boards. I hope one day I will have more time whenever I leave this job behind. Now that I'm out of debt I hope I can start saving up for that.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, sorry... Episcopalians/Anglicans are basically people who thought at some point they wanted to be Protestants but then stayed Catholic for the most part after all.

As I said before I'm sorry about your brother. Are you in touch with your sister?

Well, I'm sure the time will come. Be a bit more social outside of when you've saved up a bit.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, I've heard people say that Episcopalians are Catholic light. 60% less guilt than regular Catholicism. I guess I'm Episcopalian because I was baptized in the church, but I always went to my grandmother's Ukrainian church.

Thanks, Nina. I'm not as much in touch with my sister anymore. She's married and lives far away. We talk every once in a while.

I hope so, Nina. And it would help to have a car so I can be more social.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:24 PM
Elite Fan

I think once you have more time – fine a community you like, no matter the denomination, doesn't matter what you where you were baptizied (at least not to most Protestants) and then just go there. I find it helpful for everday life. Gives me more guidane and purpose.

I think it's good that you keep in touch. I don't know about your relationship but you know, it's family... and even if it's frustrating sometime, I find in the end one is often feeling better to have made the effort.

Ah well, something worth saving for. As long as you're not waiting for anything too fancy. I loved the bug I had.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, I know what you mean. If I had a car I'd go back to the Ukrainian church, but it would feel lonely without my family. There is an Episcopal church right next to me that I can go to. I went there once for Easter Sunday when I took off, but I work most Sundays so that's a pain.

Yeah, we talk every once in a while. I really should call my uncle as well and talk to him and my aunt in Montana. I haven't spoken to them in a long time.

Nothing too fancy. If I could afford one I'd love an SUV like a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Chevrolet Tahoe. And you had a VW I take it?
Old 05-31-2018, 07:45 AM
Elite Fan

At least during Lent and Advent my church has service on Wednesday night. It may be worth investigating this. Also you usually meet people quickly if you stay around for coffee hour.

Not to talk about such depressing things but yeah... it's usually... when you find out something happened you feel sad that you didn't do it sooner.

Yep, I used to have a VW 1300 Beetle the first time I lived in the U.S. – took me everywhere for five years, sold it to a friend when I left. She still drives it.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:28 AM
Master Fan

You know what sucks about the american holidays tho? I have to wait until the ending of May to get one... when in Mexico they're spread more nicely starting in February. But hey we get two days for Thanksgiving and two for Christmas and that's nice I guess
Old 05-31-2018, 10:54 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah, you get more than I do, May. I only get the actual day of Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. I didn't get Memorial Day though a lot of my co-workers did.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:37 AM
Master Fan

WTF? Why?
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM
Elite Fan

Don't know, it's in my contract... maybe there's a byline I missed on exploiting clueless Europeans.

Gosh blimey this is horrifying... more so towards the end when they wrote about their interview with Allison Mack: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/m...h-raniere.html

Last edited by Nikki K; 05-31-2018 at 12:29 PM
Old 05-31-2018, 12:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, May! Hi, Nina! Awww, you only get Thanksgiving and Christmas off, Nina? I only get Christmas off. The only reason I ever get Thanksgiving off is because it falls on my regular day off, unless I'm asked to come in that day.

OMG, the Allison Mack thing. Man, that's such a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGSAFDMD (View Post)
You know what sucks about the american holidays tho? I have to wait until the ending of May to get one... when in Mexico they're spread more nicely starting in February. But hey we get two days for Thanksgiving and two for Christmas and that's nice I guess
Which American holidays do you get, May? There's not much in the first half of the year other than New Years' Day(for those who get that one off) and Easter Sunday(again, for those who can get that one off). My store only closes down on Christmas Day, so I have to request holidays. No one has Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day off. Then there's Memorial Day and the 4th of July, which we should have off, but don't. Labor Day, which we also used to have off, Halloween, which no one has off, and then Thanksgiving and Christmas. It used to be that everyone had off on Thanksgiving, but not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
At least during Lent and Advent my church has service on Wednesday night. It may be worth investigating this. Also you usually meet people quickly if you stay around for coffee hour.

Not to talk about such depressing things but yeah... it's usually... when you find out something happened you feel sad that you didn't do it sooner.

Yep, I used to have a VW 1300 Beetle the first time I lived in the U.S. – took me everywhere for five years, sold it to a friend when I left. She still drives it.
Wednesday night? I could look into that. I'm not sure what days they have mass at this church near me other than Sundays.

Yeah, I know, Nina. And it's okay, I like talking about thigs because it helps.

Wow, that Beetle still drives? Nice machinery. I remember there used to be VW Beetles all over the place here, but you hardly see them anymore.