Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2017, 09:41 PM
Elite Fan

I took some NyQuil tablets and had a cup of tea. Not feeling so good.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 08-31-2017, 05:03 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm sorry you're not feeling well, Nina. I hope you feel better soon.

Yeah, NyQuil is one of my favorite medicines. I always sleep well after having it.

I'm glad you're feeling good, Arinna. I hope you feel better too. And I didn't think you liked alcohol.

Oh, and Arinna? Can you please post on these threads? I was the last one to post on them:

http://www.fanforum.com/f367/borgias...rtue-63192123/
http://www.fanforum.com/f367/tpam-14...tion-63193752/
http://www.fanforum.com/f367/word-as...izza-63192960/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
I'm just saying... there's a lot of sci-fi out there but that is what made Star Trek stand out early on. Realistic or not. There was something yesterday in the seminar series about how "utopia" or the idea of creating a better world is just not very fashionable in fiction or science-fiction even at the moment. Anyway...

Ah, good for you. Yeah, same problem - work, really tired, more work.

Yeah, I do agree with you on that, Nina. I think that perhaps because Roddenberry's concept was in the 1960's that over time some aspects of it got a bit outdated. His vision of the future was a little too perfect, so Nicholas Meyer, Rick Berman, and others started putting some rough edges around it, but tried to keep his original premise. Notice how starships keep getting more and more linear and flattened out? That's because physicists and engineers keep telling them that the original Enterprise would've probably torn itself apart due to poor mass and thrust distribution, so now the new ships are designed more like submarines, which is probably the most practical way of doing it.

And also, I think a lot of the current trends in science fiction began back in the early 1980's after Ridley Scott's Alien and Blade Runner, and James Cameron's The Terminator and Aliens popularized the dystopian futuristic world. George Lucas' Star Wars was probably a lot closer to Roddenberry in the way it had a much more hopeful outlook, but it also had its rough edges.

Yeah, one thing I hate about my job are those damn concrete floors we always have to walk on. The old store had tiles, but these new stores are like Fort Knox or something.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:16 AM
Elite Fan

Well, you know, I did like "Deep Space Nine", I know some people didn't... - I didn't think it was going away too far from the original concept but added some interesting new ideas. Whereas I found a lot of of "Voyager" repetitive of "TNG" and not in an exciting way sadly. As for the new movies, I liked the first one... and like I said, some aspects of the sequels were interesting but I'm not as excited about it as I thought I'd be which is disappointing.

I know there was an animated series of "Clone Wars" and whatnot but I have a hard time to think of "Star Wars" in terms of a regular weekly TV show.

Ach, I hate the taste, so yeah, I took the tablets... I'm feeling dizzy and cold today, not sure if it's because I'm sick or a lingering effect of the NyQuil. Like staring at the computer screen for too long, I feel nauseated. Only... - ach, idek four or five more hours... something.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 08-31-2017, 12:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I tried to get into Deep Space Nine, but it didn't hold my interest that long. Even worse, I had heard that it had copied aspects of Babylon 5, since J. Michael Straczynski submitted an outline of his series concept to Paramount before Warner Bros. eventually produced it. I actually did watch all five seasons of Babylon 5 and ended up liking it better. Until Farscape came along. Now I look back on B5 and see a lot of its flaws, which bugs me. But I do think that DS9 did go for that darker, rougher around the edges look and feel I mentioned earlier. I got bored with Voyager really fast, and I didn't see the point in that show. I'd have preferred it had been more like Enterprise, to be honest. Maybe if Voyager hadn't been made, then Enterprise might've had a better chance because the franchise wouldn't have been dragged out so much.

I agree with you about the Star Trek movies. I feel the same way about the Star Wars movies as well. And yeah, I didn't bother with Clone Wars.

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. But the NyQuil usually works for me. I take the cherry NyQuil because I hate the taste of the regular NyQuil. Just try to rest and get better, okay? And thanks for posting on those threads I told Arinna to post on.

We're about to do a Midnight, Texas watch on the Francois thread, just so you know where we are.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:00 PM
Elite Fan

Oh yeah, I liked Babylon 5 better as well and it's true that the idea of a space station set and finally something with a more season or even beyond season story arc is very similar (and was definitely new to Star Trek at the time which pressed the reset button on most occasions before that) but other than that I don't think that the story lines have a lot in common. The first season of Deep Space Nine was boring, but the subsequent seasons were actually pretty great. There were so many missed chances where Voyager was concerned, it's not even funny.

At least the latest Star Wars movies were kind of entertaining compared to that stuff they produced in the early 2000s. Also by not using established characters like Star Trek, I compare then less to the originals.

Oh yeah, sorry... see on a normal day I can read instructions and I'd have seen that it wasn't meant for me but not today apparently.

I'd join but I'm at work. Doubt the rest of the office is interested in it... I mean my own interest is not particularly high so I can't blame them. But I think he got partially naked in this one. Though obviously we're watching for the intellectual value.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm thinking of taking my Advil on my trip this weekend.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:12 PM
Elite Fan

I'm debating whether or not to go on a trip.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'll miss you while you're gone, Arinna. I hope you feel better.

Hi, Nina! I'm sorry for not posting sooner. This is Dave's - the co-moderator of the Legends of Tomorrow board - final day on He's retiring from the internet but he'll keep in touch with PM's. We all went to his board to say goodbye to him and have one final watch, so that's where I've been most of the night. I hate doing that.

So where are you going if you take a trip, Nina?

Oh, so you liked B5 as well? Yeah, according to what I read, Straczynski had submitted B5 to Paramount in 1989 and gave them an outline of the story and the backgrounds of all the characters, basically the series bible. They rejected it at the time, and he later approached WB, who picked up the series. Shortly after that, Paramount began developing DP9, and the similarities were just too much, not just the space station, but even the storylines and characters. Benjamin Sisko being a veteran of the Battle of Wolf 359 with the Borg, and Jeffrey Sinclair being a veteran of the Minbari war and the Battle of the Line; Kira being Sisko's second in command, just as Ivanova was for Sinclair and Sheridan; the war with the Dominion, and the war with the Shadows; Sisko being pulled into the Prophets' plane of existence in the end, just as John Sheridan is taken by Lorien to be with the First Ones at the end of B5; it just goes on and on. Sure, they deviated from each other in certain areas, but there were too many similarities for it to be a coincidence. Straczynski himself said that he decided to be an adult about it and not drag everyone into a lengthy legal battle, and hoped that after the initial similarities the two shows would become more individual and separate... but that's not entirely how it went.

As for Voyager, like I said, I would've preferred they had not even made that show and had done something similar to Enterprise. In fact, that's the show they should've done. It didn't matter what century it was set in; a hundred years before Star Trek, or right after DS9.

Yeah, but I didn't like the prequel trilogy all that much, except for Revenge of the Sith. The Phantom Menace was too cutesy for me. Even Lucas admitted that Phantom Menace wasn't the exciting space film fans wanted him to make, and that The Matrix was more of what fans were into at the time.

Oh, don't say sorry, Nina! I'm really glad you posted on those threads. I kept waiting for Arinna to do it.

It's okay, Nina. I know you're in my time zone now and you can't do things when you usually did them. And yeah, Francois had a shower scene with his leading lady in this episode. And ratings for Midnight, Texas are good, so we my get a second season!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:14 PM
Elite Fan

I positively hated the prequel triology.

You know that ratings are only good because literally nothing else is on though. Good for them in any event.

Yes, I own all of "Babylon 5" on DVD, even "Crusade" and the movies. Though if we're honest I think Straczynski ran out of ideas at some point.

I didn't dislike the premise of "Voyager" – with the merging of the crews and the whole finding their way home through hostile territory thing but I don't think they played to the storyline's potential. The Marquis crew became assimilated too quickly and then the flight home was often just "another day at the office".

Oh, who knows... The Garden State?

Retiring from the internet or from rather... – I can understand needing a break from the latter.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well I hope you never get the desire to leave Nina.

I hated the prequel trilogy too.

Yeah, it's summer so there's not much on. But it's still better than nothing.

Oh, I.agree. B5 did run out of ideas after a while, and they just started stealing from other stories. Crusade reminded me a little of Star Blazers.

New Jersey? That sounds great!

I'm going to bed now, Nina. I'll see you tomorrow! Goodnight!
Old 09-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Elite Fan

Oh, I had that desired in the past and I left for a while, so that was good. Sometimes you just can't stick around...

Yeah, well... one of the little Swedish outposts in New Jersey more like but well... we'll see if I make it.

Ach, it's brutally cold today. /random

Old 09-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, Nina! I hope you slept well. Sorry for my last post being so brief. I was posting from my phone and I was nodding off the entire time.

Yes, I know... but you came back and I was glad for it. I do get that sometimes you need a break, but I'd miss my FF friends too much to just leave permanently.

Where is the Swedish outpost in New Jersey? The farthest up north I've gone is Trenton, and I used to go to Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ when I was a kid. But when I would go to the Jersey beach, the farthest north I went was Long Beach Island. I normally spent most of my time growing up at either Atlantic City or Wildwood.

Yeah, it got really cool here as well. I think Hurricane Harvey is really screwing up the weather patterns in the USA east of the Mississippi River.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm trying to remember if I got everything for my trip.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Aww, we'll miss you, Arinna. We'll need a temp mod, I guess.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:26 PM
Elite Fan

I think there are two Swedish outposts in New Jersey, one in Paramus, one in Elizabeth... there's another one on Long Island, true.

How long will Arinna be gone?

Closed Thread   Post New Thread