Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2017, 02:03 PM
Elite Fan

Excellent title!

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 03-29-2017, 05:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hi, Nina! Great to see you!

Thanks. I thought of what Sikozu title you'd like.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:57 PM
Elite Fan

You know me too well. Sikozu is my favourite after all. I feel such kinship with her.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 03-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Nina!
Old 03-30-2017, 02:35 PM
Elite Fan

Hi Arinna!

Old 03-30-2017, 02:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
You know me too well. Sikozu is my favourite after all. I feel such kinship with her.
I know, Nina. And she was one of my favorites as well. She made losing Zhaan a little easier. I didn't like Jool all that much.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:42 PM
Elite Fan

Jool grew on me with time but initially she was annoying. I must admit that I never cared too much for Chiana. Especially everything with D'Argo and his son was so... ew. But yes Zhaan was an awful loss.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Jool grew on me with time but initially she was annoying. I must admit that I never cared too much for Chiana. Especially everything with D'Argo and his son was so... ew. But yes Zhaan was an awful loss.
I know. I cried when Zhaan died. I could see it coming, and I think it was because actress Virginia Hey wanted to leave, but I wished she could've stayed. I had nothing against the actress who played Jool, but she just wasn't the same. I think Sikozu just fit into the group dynamic a lot better.

I actually did like Chiana, just not with D'Argo. That thing with him and his son was just all kinds of wrong. I thought she had much better chemistry with John Crichton, and I actually shipped John and Chiana for a time, mostly because Ayren was rubbing me the wrong way. Although John Ben Browder had great chemistry with both actresses.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:53 PM
Elite Fan

That's true I could enjoy Chiana when she was with Crichton or Jool for that matter. I guess I liked Jool when she did all the science-y stuff. I actually love the actress who played Jool, Tammy MacIntosh – she was brilliant on "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries".

I think the problem was that Virginia Hey got severely allergic to the blue face make-up. I read somewhere that's a common problem with blue paint for some reason. If I find the article again I'll post a link.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
That's true I could enjoy Chiana when she was with Crichton or Jool for that matter. I guess I liked Jool when she did all the science-y stuff. I actually love the actress who played Jool, Tammy MacIntosh – she was brilliant on "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries".

I think the problem was that Virginia Hey got severely allergic to the blue face make-up. I read somewhere that's a common problem with blue paint for some reason. If I find the article again I'll post a link.
Yep, I loved the Crichton/Chiana scenes because they had crazy chemistry and you could practically feel the sex coming off the screen. Maybe it's because Ben Browder's wife is also a little on the short side(and has an accent). And I loved how they made it so that teenage Crichton ended up losing his virginity to Chiana without knowing who she was. And I didn't know that about Virginia. It's a shame, but I've heard of other actors having that same problem. One of the actors on Andromeda had to quit because of allergies to the makeup he was wearing as well.

OMG, Tammy was on that show? My mom watches those, along with Rosemary & Thyme, and Midsomer Murders. I had no idea the murder rate in the U.K. was so high. My mom and her family have been watching BBC shows on local PBS since I was a kid. Doctor Who was the first taste of BBC I got.

Yeah, I agree with you about Jool. I just think that Sikozu added something to the show that Jool didn't. I did like Jool in that episode where Crichton(green shirt-Crichton) was in a coma after D'Argo hit him and was having cartoon dreams.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:45 PM
Elite Fan

"Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" is set in 1920s Melbourne, Australia and Tammy plays a lesbian coroner and was produced by ABC Australia if I'm not mistaken. It's a pretty amazing show to be honest. "The Avengers" was my first taste of BBC on the actual BBC. *snorts*

That's obviously true. Jool was nice and pretty straight forward, whereas Sikozu was always a bit morally ambiguous and therefore made for a really different and interesting character because you could never really be sure of her motives. I think my favourite episode of the whole show is 4x01 "Crichton Kicks".

Ah yes, I remember Andromeda. I think there was the blue paint problem again why suddenly Trance changed colour (plot about being a sun avatar aside). But I think you're talking about the guy who played Rev Bem? I think he was allergic to the glue they used to put on his fur/sores.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, Miss Fisher was set in Australia? Sorry. But those others were in England, which had a pretty high body count on BBC. OMG, I forgot about The Avengers! Yes, I remember that! There was the original 60's version, and then the newer 70's version with Joanna Lumley long before Absolutely Fabulous. I can't remember if I saw Doctor Who or The Avengers first, but my mom and aunt watched both shows. My mom named my sister after Diana Rigg. And sorry, BBC America wasn't around when I was a kid. If you wanted to watch the BBC in the USA, you had to watch PBS. Wow, that's a lot of acronyms.

I felt a little sorry for Tammy because she was in the unenviable position of having to follow Virginia, which couldn't have been easy. But I really loved Sikozu for all the reasons you mentioned. And yes, I'm talking about the actor who played Rev Bem. He had to leave the show due to skin allergies from the Magogg makeup/glue he wore. But I had no idea that the blue makeup issue is why Trance changed color like that. I figured it was because the tail was too cumbersome for the actress, but I guess it makes sense because of all these allergic reactions the actors have to the makeup. I was surprised that Virginia was willing to return to Farscape and play Zhaan in season four's "John Quixote" and "Unrealized Reality" considering the makeup made her allergic.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Elite Fan

Yep, both the books and the show are set in Australia and filmed in Australia with Australian actors.

True about the others. I haven't watched any of them though. What I liked about MFMM was also the period drama aspect which I don't think the others you mentioned have?

I loved Joanna Lumley on "Sapphire and Steele" and also now in all the travel shows she's doing.

Quote:
But those others were in England, which had a pretty high body count on BBC.
Oh well, I don't feel much sympathy there these days.

Well, I guess I had it easier then. When we wanted to watch BBC we just switched on the telly when I was young. And those were Saturday or Sunday afternoon re-runs of the 1960s original with Honor Blackman and then later Diana Rigg. Both of them became Bond girls later, I think. The only thing I've ever watched on PBS was Sesame Street.

Could be that the tail played a role in Trance's transformation but I'm fairly certain it had to do with the make-up. Though it was so low budget and kind of campy I enjoyed Andromeda. I remember shipping Trance/Tyr. I guess Virginia may have missed being on the show and wanted to pay tribute to her character, thus braving the make-up for those two episodes. I don't know. I mean Zhaan was a fan favourite. And Farscape was revived by the fans so many times. So it's understandable that she would do it if it wasn't a longterm commitment.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yep, MFMM definitely had that Agatha Christie period look to it. That's one reason I like that. Those others are set in the present day. What was Sapphire and Steele?

"Telly?" Hmmm... are you from England originally? Never mind, you don't have to answer. OMG, I forgot Honor Blackman was on The Avengers. That was way before I was watching it. And The Avengers was before James Bond? Wow, that's a while back. But yeah, by the time Goldfinger came out it was 1964, and Rigg was in On Her Majesty's Secret Service in 1969. Oh, and I used to watch Sesame Street, Mister Rogers Neighborhood, and The Electric Company on PBS. They all aired one after the other. I also watched Dark Shadows on PBS, but on the New Jersey PBS station, which we also got here. The Philadelphia PBS station is WHYY, which is where I watched Doctor Who and The Avengers.

Yeah, I liked Andromeda too. I shipped Dylan and Rommie, but that never went anywhere, sadly. How could they not have gotten those two together? Trance/Tyr? That's unusual. They never had any scenes that implied that. Tyr/Bekka had a few. And I'm glad that Virginia decided to return because I didn't feel they gave her character a proper send off. Making her the princess that Crichton has to save in that virtual reality world was a much better way to give her story closure and also gave Crichton the chance to say goodbye in a way that was more satisfying and completed the story arc.

Yeah, fans really stood by Farscape, but I hated Sci-Fi for cancelling it before they could finish the story. I wish they had gotten a fifth season instead of that Peacekeeper Wars TV movie, but at least we got something.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:28 PM
Elite Fan

Yes, it did have a certain Agatha Christie vibe but sexier.

"Sapphire and Steele" was a sci-fi show about two operatives protecting time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_%26_Steel

Maybe because Rommie was the ship's avatar. And wasn't there this one season where they created another avatar, Doyle played by Brandy Ledford, because Rommie went all evil (and Lexa Doig was pregnant).

Ah, I think there was one episode where you could deduce certain things and there was a lot of fanfic around it. But yes I guess Tyr/Becca had a large fanbase but I never really bought into it.

Yeah, the Peacekeeper Wars movie was... I don't know, good to have but I would have preferred a fifth season. Obviously I also disliked how they left things with Sikozu.

Last edited by Nikki K; 03-30-2017 at 05:42 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread