Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2017, 07:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Ugh, I don't think they should be allowed to ruin a good show with lousy ideas.

I did watch Fire Walk With Me, but I don't think I saw the bonus material. Fenn to me seemed more sultry and seductive, like Ava Gardner or Hedy Lamarr. I never got that from Kelly. Yeah, good luck on Flynn Boyle getting any job in Hollywood these days. She's pretty much disappeared, and she looks horrific after getting lip collagen injection stuff done to her. And I don't think that Lynch even considers that whole half-sister thing relevant since that wasn't part of his story. That plotline happened after he left the show. The writers did a lot of stuff after Lynch left that was never part of his and Mark Frost's storyline.

Yeah, I can see how Merlyn might want to manipulate Thea for the eventual purpose of having her become a weapon for him to use later. But again, he'd still need some way to lure her in. And considering how much bad stuff Moira was into, were you that surprised that she'd cheated on her husband? And didn't that happen after Malcolm's wife died? As for sloppy writing, The Flash is the one guilty of that as far as I'm concerned. I've seen this before on Heroes and it seems like The Flash is making many of the same mistakes, which is worrying me.

I think Melissa Benoist said that Mon El will be returning later on, so there's hope there, Nina. And I'm surprised that I'm watching Riverdale at all. I never expected that either. But I think Riverdale shares some of the same elements as Twin Peaks, which is probably the reason. The show runners admitted that Twin Peaks was a big influence on the show. The creators of Bates Motel said the same thing. Spooky, huh?

And isn't it getting late for you? I like talking to you, Nina, but I also want you to heal and get better, and I know you're supposed to be getting rest. You're not staying up too late, are you?
Old 05-27-2017, 12:04 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Fenn to me seemed more sultry and seductive, like Ava Gardner or Hedy Lamarr. I never got that from Kelly.
And that was the beauty of it when you watch "Fire Walk With Me" and its bonus material. There's this scene where Laura takes Donna to a party and she tries to copy Laura to an extend but then later realises she failed. So In terms of the half-sisters Donna and Audrey, I think it shows this juxtapositon of a more shielded innnocence giving up fairly quickly looking for limits and an innoncence that is still there but is testing its limits. So there is an underlying nature aspect but it's overridden by their nuture. I imagine how much better I would have liked the bathroom scene now in hindsight on the show when Audrey offers that cigarette to Donna if it had been Fenn and Kelly... ahhh maybe a Photoshop project.

Quote:
And I don't think that Lynch even considers that whole half-sister thing relevant
Possibly. On the other hand he brings back bloody Alicia Witt as Gersten Hayward who had perhaps one line if that in the original and is a terrible actress. Or other actors that were there when he wasn't anymore. That annoyed me. Also it's a continuity thing – it was such a big bombshell to drop... even if you never talk about it again, one comment on it would be good otherwise it's weird for someone like me who has watched the show and the movie... blimey... I'm sure over 25 times at this point. Like also while I do not want to see Annie again ever, it'd be weird if she was never mentioned. Meanwhile Billy Zane's character was so unimportant, I totally buy that Audrey has forgotten all about him by now.

Quote:
And considering how much bad stuff Moira was into, were you that surprised that she'd cheated on her husband?
Actually yes, I still cannot imagine it to be honest. I mean being ruthless when it comes to business is one thing but I can't see her do that. As for Malcom's leverage over Thea – could have been a thousand things, could have even been him only lying that he was her father (I mean by that time Moira was already dead and couldn't contradict him) instead of actually being it. I maintain that that was a total bore and it irks me that no Oliver and Tea are only half-siblings.

So I'll cling on to hope for Kara/Mon-El. Yeah you know, I find "Riverdale" entertaining and like over shows throughout the seasons it has a bit of a "Twin Peaks"-esque thing going on but it's not the real thing. Plus for me it comes with too many teenagers and their drama. I'm too old for this. I just hope for season 2 they can focus on the characters that are already in play (and Hiram of course) but resit brining in "new" people just for the hell of it.

I slept for a few hours... not getting too much sleep these days. Idk. Sorry for abandoing you before but I'm back now.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").

Last edited by Nikki K; 05-27-2017 at 02:52 AM
Old 05-27-2017, 01:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

You're back?
Old 05-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Elite Fan

I am for the moment, Arinna. So good to see you! How are you doing?

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 05-27-2017, 03:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, Nina! Arinna has already gone to bed, I'm afraid. Speaking of bed, I sent you a PM about making sure you get enough sleep. I figured you had gone to be so I went to bed myself.

Yeah, I saw that scene at where Donna started getting molested by that guy while she was totally wasted and Laura freaked out. But again, the half sister thing really wasn't part of David Lynch's story. He didn't even have Audrey in Fire Walk With Me, and Donna isn't in the Showtime series, so I think he's ignoring that stuff that the writers put in there after he left the show, like Annie and the Windom Earle stuff, and Billy Zane's character. Although I do admit that there is a bit of a resemblance between them in those pics.

I actually liked Alicia Witt in other things she's done. But I didn't remember her scenes in Fire Walk With Me, and I don't think she's in the new Showtime series. Wow, speaking of which, guess who's back? Bobby! Laura's football player boyfriend who was having an affair with Shelly Johnson, remember? He's a sheriff's deputy now, and his hair is dyed blonde. And when Hawk was going through all the old evidence from the murder because the Log Lady told him that something was missing and that it had to do with Dale Cooper's disappearance, Bobby took one look at Laura's picture and started blubbering again. The Laura Palmer theme started playing and I was like, "Oh my God, it's been 26 years!" Bobby told Hawk that seeing her picture started to bring it all back, and I was like, yeah, Bobby, I remember the scene you made at Laura's funeral where you basically called out everyone in town for ignoring what Laura was going through and saying that "all of us" were to blame for her death. And then Leeland fell into the grave on top of her coffin and started crying. I just thought it was nice to see Bobby again.

Don't worry, Nina... Annie and Billy Zane's character(whatever the hell his name was) are not back in the now show. I honestly don't know why Lynch even had Annie make a brief cameo in Laura's dream in Fire Walk With Me because it was all of five seconds. I also understand what you mean about Riverdale, but I still appreciate the subtle Twin Peaks vibe the show has. It's also based on Archie comic, so there's going to be that element of teen drama, but at least it's not nearly as juvenile as most other CW shows. As long as it sticks to Archie, Veronica, Jughead, Betty, and Cheryl, and keeps any other teen characters to a bare minimum, I'll be okay. Although I've heard that Sabrina the Teenage Witch will possibly make an appearance. Why not? Twin Peaks had the Log Lady.

And don't worry about Mon-El, Melissa said he'll be back eventually. And I do agree that Oliver and Thea being half siblings is a bit of a bummer as well. But nothing we can do about it now. At least Malcolm is dead(according to John Barrowman) and Thea can now move on with her storyline without having that stone around he neck.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Elite Fan

No, Alicia Witt was on "Twin Peaks" – I think in one or two scenes in late season 2. So if given the choice I'd rather had had Moira Kelly.
Well, I don't see how Audrey could have fit in "Fire Walk With Me". There was simply no story for her there. I still think it's a shame that Donna isn't in the revival. It really would have been nice to see Moira Kelly again on "Twin Peaks" ... no need for Flynn Boyle.

Bobby is such a tool – I mean yeah, he was right about what he said regarding everyone ignoring Laura's problems (not that it didn't suit her) but it wasn't that he wasn't a coward for not speaking up about it beforehand either and letting her manipulate him, plus cheating on her with Shelly.

I admit that when I first watched it, one of the main draws for me was that Mädchen Amick was so incredibly hot. She still is actually. Another reason to watch 'Riverdale'.

Quote:
Although I've heard that Sabrina the Teenage Witch will possibly make an appearance.
What? Blimey. I don't know how I feel about that. I mean when I was a teenager I liked the show with Melissa Joan Hart but I don't see this fitting into the Riverdale theme to be honest unless it's like really abstract and she runs some scary esoteric shop or something.

Yeah, I was surprised with myself – Kara/Mon-El ... I guess I liked them because despite the obstacles, they always resolved their drama moments pretty quickly and learnt a lot from each other and were otherwise a pretty comfortable couple. I appreciated that. Low-key on the angst.

True, nothing we can do... except ignore it.

Last edited by Nikki K; 05-27-2017 at 03:27 PM
Old 05-27-2017, 03:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh, so she wasn't in Fire Walk With Me? I knew I hadn't seen her there. She was on the TV show Cybill by then as Cybil Shepherd's daughter. Yeah, Alicia Witt played the little girl on the piano in Twin Peaks, but I don't remember her having any dialogue, she just played a piano. She was also Alia Atreides, the little sister of Paul Atreides in Dune. That movie could've been so much better if Ridley Scott had directed it. I like David Lynch's visuals, but I don't think he translated the story to the screen as well as it could've been. It became too ponderous and dragged way too long.

Yeah, Bobby was a jerk. But he did place blame on himself during his little tirade at the funeral as well. He was doing drugs, and fooling around with Shelly, and Laura was stringing both him and James along like fools while she was also having affairs with Ben Horne and God knows who else while working at One Eye'd Jacks. Oh, I agree, Madchen Amick for me was gorgeous. Along with Sherilyn Fenn. But Sherilyn was always my favorite. No one could top Audrey Horne. Not even the "damn fine coffee."

Ohhh, I'll bet Cooper wants those grapefruits freshly squeezed.

Yep, I find it ironic that Madchen is on Riverdale, which shares so many similarities with Twin Peaks, which Amick herself has mentioned. And I'm pretty sure that if Sabrina shows up in Riverdale she won't be like the Melissa Joan Hart version. She'll probably be closer to Salem or AHS: Coven or something like that. I still question why Josie and the Pussycats are on this show since they don't have any storyline other than pursuing a musical career. They're never part of the main storyline, and the only time they ever did have their own storyline is when they were out of Riverdale, either touring around the world solving mysteries, or traveling through outer space.

I appreciated Mon El not just because he's a great character, but because it spared us that silly James/Winn drama. Seriously, Kara deserved a better storyline than that. I also appreciated Teri Hatcher returning to the Superman universe as Mon-El's mother. I loved her as Lois Lane back in the 90's.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:52 PM
Elite Fan

I simply can't stand Alicia Witt – especially now in her adult roles... like last season on "Nashville". And yeah, Lynch has some good ideas but he also had some misses during his career. I was pretty annoyed by his "interviews" prior to the new Twin Peaks premiere. It was clear he didn't want to answer question – so then why give an interview at all that was so obsolete.

Haha, yeah – I always thought Shelly deserved better than Bobby. For me it was always Mädchen Amick. I don't do caffeine after all. As for "Riverdale" – yeah, I remember Skeet Ulrich who plays FP from those show "Miracles" and "Jericho". Glad they get to work together. They make a handsome couple.

Yeah, I bet if "Riverdale" goes well "Josie and the Pussycats" gets a spin-off or something? I mean so far they are only there to support Archie's music career and we get glimpses at Josie's home life and her mum the mayor, I guess. It's all a bit thin. I just hope they keep the focus and don't get sidetracked by trying to get too many things from the comics involved. Of course it's always nice to see a few things that bring back memories but not too many if they are merely gimick-y (sp?).

Oh yes, that was terrible neither Winn nor James had any chemistry with Kara. True, it was good to see Teri Hatcher and even Kevin Sorbo however briefly. I also liked Lynda Carter and her line "You should see my other ride" after she was revealed to be an alien. I thought that was a funny reminder of her once having been 'Wonder Woman' though in this scenario she clearly is not.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I've only seen Alicia on a few things here and there. I thought she was attractive, but she never made much of an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
I also liked Lynda Carter and her line "You should see my other ride" after she was revealed to be an alien.
An invisible jet, perhaps? That never made sense to me. Diana's abilities came from the Greek gods of Olympus, and she gets an invisible plane? Perseus got winged sandals that allowed him to fly! Yeah, James and Winn just didn't make sense with Kara, and why were they even necessary? It's her first season, and she should be allowed to be an independent female character who establishes herself on her own. She doesn't need a boyfriend right out of the gate. It was nice to see both Teri and Kevin again. And did you also notice that former Supergirls Helen Slater and Laura Vandervoort made appearances as well?

Yeah, I keep wondering what would've happened if things had gone differently. Do you know that Lynch turned down the job of directing Return of the Jedi to do Dune? I can only wonder how that might've turned out. I wish George Lucas had just directed it himself. It was the end of his trilogy, and he gave it to that Richard Marquand guy whom no one ever heard of before or since. And at the same time that Lynch was doing Dune, Ridley was making Legend with Tom Cruise with turned out to be a disaster. I'd have preferred that Ridley had done Dune instead, but I guess after Alien and Blade Runner he wanted a break from science fiction. And David has always been like that. I remember his interviews for Mullholland Drive and Lost Highway. He's an oddball that one.

Oh yeah, the other thing about Riverdale is the casting of all these old teen idols. Skeet Ulrich from Scream, Luke Perry from Beverly Hills 90210, Madchen Amick from Twin Peaks, and even Molly Ringwald as Archie's mom. I agree, FP and Alice do go well together. They're equally diabolical. I don't know if CW is even interested in a Josie and the Pussycats spinoff. I don't like the idea that they're just there as token characters to further Archie's musical storyline. I'd just as soon not have any superfluous characters and just focus on the core group. Sabrina could be an interesting addition if she's done correctly, though.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Elite Fan

No, it didn't make sense but it was a funny line. She didn't say anything about it being invisible. Ah yes, Helen Slater plays her Earth!mum, no? and Laura Vandervoort worked briefly with Kara's crazy terrorist uncle.

Ach... Legend... let's not speak of that one. *shudders* – I don't know George Lucas made a lot of bad decisions with his franchise. But whatever. It is what it is.

I never watched Scream. Too scary. True about the teen idols. Though when I think of that I always think Phoebe Cates. But then I know that'll never happen.

Quote:
I agree, FP and Alice do go well together. They're equally diabolical.
Exactly. And they are not intimidated by each other. They are also both slightly crazy. Mädchen is definitely a shipper. I hope that bodes well for the future.

Yeah, I agree... that makes me uncomfortable too if the only reason Josie and the Pussycats are there is only to be a sounding board for Archie. Still not sure how I'd feel about adding Sabrina. It may be a bit too weird.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, it was a funny line because when Lynda Carter says, "you should see my other ride," that invisible plane is gonna be the first thing audiences think of. I also liked that 80's Supergirl played Kara's adopted mom. Laura could've been a cousin or something. Ray Palmer said that Kara looked like his cousin. Slight nod to Brandon Routh in Superman Returns.

Yep, as I said, if Ridley Scott was going to do something sci-fi/fantasy oriented, I wish he'd have done Dune instead of Legend and David Lynch had done something more his style, like Blue Velvet(which I loved, by the way). I really think that Ridley could've done a good job, even without CGI. And Lucas... let's just say he really disappointed me after the great job he did with Star Wars. I can forgive him giving The Empire Strikes Back to Irvin Kirshner because Lawrence Kasdan did such a great job with the screenplay, just like he did with Raiders of the Lost Ark. But Return of the Jedi could've and should've been a lot better, and those prequel movies were just... ugh.

I liked Scream. I was afraid of scary movies as a kid, but I learned to really like them. And Phoebe Cates retired after Gremlins 2 in 1990 and focused on being a wife and mom. Kevin Kline is a lucky guy.

Oh, yes... Madchen is definitely FP/Alice. So we're gonna get more of that next season. And I think that Sabrina might have a lot more storytelling potential than Josie and the Pussycats given the general gothic-noir tone of Riverdale. After all, she's a witch, she doesn't sing or play guitar.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah that's great when they have some funny references like this without going overboard with it all. I appreciate that.

You know I really like 'The Empire Strikes Back' to tell you the truth. I'm generally okay with the original three movies but those prequels were such a pain. I'm hard pressed to say anything positive about them. Yeah, I don't like horror movies, not my scenes. And I know about Phoebe Cates, I'm just saying. Wouldn't that be grand?

I really need to come up with a little plot for my fanfic... I already miss these two. How will I survive till the show comes back. So far – Alice argues loudly with the judge after FP's sentencing... Hal is appalled that his wife is losing it in public, Betty realises what is wrong with this whole picture and seeks solace in Veronica's arms. Hmhmhm...

True about the gothic noir tone... perhaps again if Sabrina owns one of these witchcraft supply stores and does tarort card readings. I can see people going for that.

Yeah the whole music angle got boring after Miss Grundy left... at least to me.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yep, that's what I also liked about having John Wesley-Shipp as Barry's dad and as Earth 3 Jay Garrick.

Oh, I like The Empire Strikes Back too, Nina. I just wish that Lucas had directed it because I'd have loved to have seen what it would've been like. Irvin Kirshner went on to do the James Bond Thunderball remake, Never Say Never Again with Sean Connery, and then... he went nowhere. I call it the Star Wars curse. Anyone other than George Lucas and Harrison Ford has their careers ruined. Oh, I'd love to see Phoebe Cates in something today. She still looks good! She could've been Veronica's mom. And that's exactly what I think that Sabrina could do. She could be a teenager who works at a new age/wiccan store doing readings and stuff, but she turns out to be an actual witch. And you're right, if you have Miss Grundy helping Archie with his music(among other things), why do you need the Pussycats?

Ohhh, that sounds like a good fic, Nina. I'd like to see you write that. I'm sure we'll be able to manage until Riverdale comes back.

And is it getting late for you? Remember, I don't want you staying up too late if you need the sleep.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Elite Fan

Actually I think Marisol Nichols is quite all right as Veronica's mum on the show. I always liked her, so I'm glad to see she got this role. I like the idea that Hermione might be even more dangerous than Hiram or on another level as was implied in the last few episodes.

But I'm sure we can find another role for Phoebe Cates.

Yeah, I think the whole Miss Grundy thing was interesting because it was so morally ambiguous. You weren't so sure who was whose victim in that relationship to be honest. And yes, she was helping him with his music. Something I have trouble with when it comes to Josie. I mean basically Archie was first like Yoko Ono tearing Valerie away from the group and every time the Pussycats perform one of his songs I'm like... hell no, that doesn't really seem right, not the way Josie is usually acting, regarding race and gender and also the fact that she and her band obviously have so much more experience.

So who do you think shot Fred? That's another idea – Alice goes to FP for answers and ... things happen. But it would be good if they actually found something out too.

Yeah, it is... I'm not sure I can sleep... church in six hours so... well, maybe I give it a go in a bit.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh, I like Marisol, I'm just saying that Phoebe could play Hermione as well. And I can't wait for Hiram to come to Riverdale and start more drama. He could be the Ben Horne of the show, taking over for the departed Clifford Blossom. Hermione does seem dangerous herself after what happened in the finale, but I'm also kinda hoping that she continues her relationship with Fred... if he survives.

I really didn't like the whole thing with Valerie. It was such a throwaway storyline whose only purpose was to further Archie's singing career and once the writers were through with that they had her dump him so he could move on to Veronica. Valerie had no storyline after that. And what did they do with Josie other than establish that her father disapproves of her singing? I'd rather not have them on the show at all if the writers have no real use for them. Even Twin Peaks only had musical acts at the Big Bang Bar perform songs for atmosphere and not for any storylines.

Who do I think shot Fred? It was probably either Sue Ellen or Ciff Barnes... no, wait... that was Dallas. I don't know, but I'm worried that either Hiram Lodge or the Blossoms might have had something to do with it. And yeah, it could lead to some FP/Alice action.

You have church in six hours, Nina? You need to go to bed then! I don't want you to stay up and not be rested for church. We can continue this tomorrow, okay?