Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 03:29 AM
Elite Fan

Eura grew on me. You can't make the mistake to mistake her with Effy. I actually wrote Effy & Eura fic which - as far as my fic writing goes I must say is one of the best things I've written.

I liked Stan/Michelle. I did not like Cadie - she never fit with the group and always seemed very disjointed and her scenes (apart from her own epsiode) very forced as in - oh, we have to write Cadie in. Which is a shame because the actress was one of the few who could actually act well. Which stood in harsh opposition to Tea - the actress... I don't think she deserves being called an actress. She'll be on Gossip Girl next season. Figures.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Master Fan

I actually just read that... and even though she ****ing sucks Gossip Girl is too low for anybody ... literally ANYBODY.

Girl who played Eura just seemed off all the time .. I agree Cadie didn't have much material in most of the episodes but her episode started being great because it was all about her and Britne is a great actress *the best of the cast actually* but my favorite episode was Michelle's.. because I love the original episode and just loved to see her insulting Tea and treating her like ****, because she was ****ing flawless and the girl def can act and because it was the only episode that actually moved me with the ending scene when she's crying in the bus ♥
Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Elite Fan

I think the problem they had in the beginning with Eura was that they tried to make her a second Effy. I really appreciated the last episode where they finally abandoned that and Eura could just be Eura. I really liked writing that fic, contrasting the two characters. I did like how Eleonor portrayed her in that episode.

I agree that Britne was the best actress. Also about Michelle being my favourite. She was just so damn cute. I didn't necessarily like the bus because it had Betty in it and honestly I disliked Betty even more than Tea. But shutting the door in Tea's face was amazing. I Rachel Thevenard. I wish we'd see her in something else, in something good again soon.

Gossip Girl is just... so bloody awful.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 08-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
Gen 1 is my favourite. Definitely start there and work yourself up. S4 was a disaster - I think it had a few moments but if we are honest the only really good episode was Katie's. (I did like JJ's too but I wouldn't call it brilliant). I liked S5, but S6 went down the drain I hated Franky so bloody much. The best thing about S6 was Matty and Nick in the finale, also Rich's last scene and I oddly liked Liv which is funny because I didn't like her in S5 but in S6 she suddenly made sense. My favourite S6 thing was Poppy. Had they done a Gen 5, I would have loved to see her in it. It would have been a good connection.

As for Gen 2 - the love triangle went on my nerves and I must say Freddie/Karen were my OTP anyway.

Did any of you watch the US remake? It was intrinsically flawed (by the fact that their Tony sucked and couldn't live up to the standards of Nicolas Hoult) but I did adore their Michelle amongst a few other things. I thought the Tina episode was exceptionally well done.

And Season 2 - I rewatched it lately and it still was a million times better than a lot of things i've seen on TV, I especially liked the advancement in Jal's and Cassie's friendship because those two were my favourites.
Franky was one of my favorites in S5 and I hated her so much in S6. I wanted her dead.

The US remake was awful but the girl who played Michelle was beautiful and she was one of the few who could act. I liked Cadie & Stanley too. The rest were just awful.

Quote:
I liked Stan/Michelle. I did not like Cadie - she never fit with the group and always seemed very disjointed and her scenes (apart from her own epsiode) very forced as in - oh, we have to write Cadie in. Which is a shame because the actress was one of the few who could actually act well. Which stood in harsh opposition to Tea - the actress... I don't think she deserves being called an actress. She'll be on Gossip Girl next season. Figures.
Just when I thought GG couldn't sink any lower.

The actress who played Cadie is going to be in the next season of AHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGSAFDMD (View Post)
Exactly, I think S4 first half is really good.. well maybe not the first episode but 2, 3 and 4 are.. 5 is a bit over the top but still ok, 6 is a bit flat and boring but not that horrible.. 7 is one of the worst things I've ever watched on TV and I think that when people say S4 is horrible is because they're remembering that episode..
Effy's episode is definitely one of the most awful things I have ever watched. The writing was so ridiculous and stupid. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes all the time.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Elite Fan

What's AHS?

If you watch the season finale and detach yourself from the idea that Eura was supposed to be Effy you'll see that Eleonor Zichy did a great job. I liked that they changed the finale so much because the UK version of it all clearly would not have worked. I was thankful for every bloody thing they did not copy because that was when it was usually not awful.

I'm still confused by what Effy wish diagnosed with.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
What's AHS?

If you watch the season finale and detach yourself from the idea that Eura was supposed to be Effy you'll see that Eleonor Zichy did a great job. I liked that they changed the finale so much because the UK version of it all clearly would not have worked. I was thankful for every bloody thing they did not copy because that was when it was usually not awful.

I'm still confused by what Effy wish diagnosed with.
I agree that Eleonor Zichy was a lot better in the season finale. And you are right that the best episodes were the ones they weren't trying to copy from the UK version. That's why Cadie's episode was one of the best for me.

Effy's storyline in S4 was just stupid and completely destroyed the character. It was obvious they didn't know anything about depression and they just wrote some cliches and trying to make it seem as something "serious" and "deep"

AHS = American Horror Story
Old 08-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Elite Fan

Oh wow, I didn't know American Horror Story got another season.

And yes, I agree - it was best when they didn't try to copy the UK version and that was what was good about the finale - it was simplier, lsss twisted but just about right for the characters we saw. I think the problem with Eura was that in previous episodes they tried to make her Effy and it didn't work. I think my favourite was the Tina episode - mainly because it was realistic and I could sympathize: There is this young woman who suddenly sits at the other side of the table, teaching students but never really learnt how to be an adult. I really felt for her, perhaps because I saw myself in her to a degree - not the sleepnig with students part but the how do I get an adult, I'm older but I don't feel like anything has changed, I go through some motions but in the end it's like in the Lily Allen Song "22". I also appreciated that they showed the consequences which they really didn't with Angie in the UK version. So yeah that was my favourite of the episodes. My least favourites... oh gosh... the pilot was grewsome because it tried to copy everything to the T. And it made me weep.

I thought Effy wasn't merely depressed - in the best scenario it was a depression with psychosis, I'd say frompersonal experience. I agree though that they didn't alot enough time to develop it and the whole juggling of love interests and her parents and especially Tony being absent made it something that was confusing to watch. I think what went on my nerves a lot was Freddie trying to be her saviour - he should have listened to his grandfather the first time around when they talked about his mother. I think, things would not have escalated that much had he not thought he could handle that problem without at least getting her parents invested a lot sooner.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Oh wow, I didn't know American Horror Story got another season.
Yes, it did and it looks creepier and scarier than the first one.

Quote:
I think my favourite was the Tina episode - mainly because it was realistic and I could sympathize: There is this young woman who suddenly sits at the other side of the table, teaching students but never really learnt how to be an adult. I really felt for her, perhaps because I saw myself in her to a degree - not the sleepnig with students part but the how do I get an adult, I'm older but I don't feel like anything has changed, I go through some motions but in the end it's like in the Lily Allen Song "22". I also appreciated that they showed the consequences which they really didn't with Angie in the UK version. So yeah that was my favourite of the episodes. My least favourites... oh gosh... the pilot was grewsome because it tried to copy everything to the T. And it made me weep.
The Tina episode was pretty realistic because I understood why she felt attratected to Chris and what Chris saw in her. In the UK version I felt it only happened because Angie was hot and she was just bored.

Also I never met a teacher that looked like a model

And it was great that they showed the consequences. I think a lot of people could feel identified with Tina's story.

I hated the pilot and Tea's episode (the character and the actress please ).

Quote:
I thought Effy wasn't merely depressed - in the best scenario it was a depression with psychosis, I'd say frompersonal experience. I agree though that they didn't alot enough time to develop it and the whole juggling of love interests and her parents and especially Tony being absent made it something that was confusing to watch. I think what went on my nerves a lot was Freddie trying to be her saviour - he should have listened to his grandfather the first time around when they talked about his mother. I think, things would not have escalated that much had he not thought he could handle that problem without at least getting her parents invested a lot sooner.
I think the whole storyline and the Freffy thing that season was incredible contrived and cheesy. I can expect that kind of storylines from silly teen shows like 90210 or OTH but Skins who always promote itself as "edgy" and realistic (and tried at least to be those things) it just felt ridiculous and out of place. Everything was so overdramatic that season. I loved Naomily in S3 and in S4 I ended up hating the couple and both characters because of their constant drama.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Master Fan

I appreciate drama way more than comedy and lightness.. so that's probably why I mostly enjoyed S4.. for example, I loved to hate Naomi in S4... and every time I watch 4x02 I hate her guts but I just loved her because she was still interesting though she was completely different from S3, Emily was ****ing annoying in S4 I wanted to slap her in every single of her scenes, I only liked her in the first 2 episodes and was ok with her in ep 4 because I wanted Naomi to suffer and she was trying to make her suffer..

I actually loved Freddie from S3 to S4 .. I understood his character development completely and the way he was attached to Effy even more after her "illness" came to light.. due to his mother history and all that, I just thought Effy's character was completely destroyed and after 4 years she deserved at least a decent written episode as her last.. all we got was a stupid soapy/cliche episode that had the most horrible ending to ever exist on TV history.

I think even the novel did a better job writing Effy than Jamie did in S4... and I am just mentioning him, but literally every single writer that shared ideas for that storyline deserves to never be hired for any tv project ever again.

New pic of Luke colored by me
Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl (View Post)
Yes, it did and it looks creepier and scarier than the first one.
Blimey, didn't know that could get any creepier. I just can't watch these kind of things.

Quote:
The Tina episode was pretty realistic because I understood why she felt attratected to Chris and what Chris saw in her.

I think a lot of people could feel identified with Tina's story.
Yes, while my students were of age and I would have never considered anything romantic with any one of them, I could identify with Tina a lot. Mainly with the aspect of - what does it mean to be an adult. You go to high school, you go to college - it's all about studying studying studying and suddenly you are tossed out into the real world. Where you are expected to be grown-up, have a grown-up job and a grown-up relationship. In that scene with her next door neighbour in the car I thought it became painfully obvious that she didn't know how to do that - a grown-up relationship I mean. It felt a bit like, perhaps she had her last relationship at some point in high school if she had had any at all because she came across as well... not necessarily shy but she was also no Heather Chandler. Perhaps I'm projecting to a point but to me... I could see her never having been in a relationship at all and just watching her cooler/prettier girlfriends in high school having them and that's where she got her information from, that's what she was finally able to experience with Chris. But the side in her that knew she should be an adult, that was bothered that her pupils didn't take her seriously as a teacher, that side wanted to have that grown-up relationship and be mature. And of course it went wrong when she tried to date her neighbour because unlike her he knew he was too old for sex in the car etc. - and I think that was a turning point in her story too, where she felt beaten and deficient and that's why she knew she had to break it off with Chris. And then the unfortunate but realistic consequences of it all. I thought it was very well done.

Quote:
I hated the pilot and Tea's episode (the character and the actress please ).
Those two were the worst. I really wanted to like Tea but the actress was so bad and then the part were she was this self-proclaimed lesbian and still fooled around with Tony (whose actor was also so bad)... I was a big fan of Michelle punching her in the face.

Quote:
I appreciate drama way more than comedy and lightness
Yes but there is drama and there is drama. As depressing and dire the overall theme of season 2 was, in the end it was still more cohesive and challenging than season 4. I thought season 4 was so disjunct - there was this whole Sophia thing which I found was not well explained or well played out. I never liked Naomi. Not in season 3 when she was so undecided and left Emily hanging all the time and not in season 4 where she was mostly whiny and full of self-pity. I found that so over the top in episode 2 when Emily stood on that roof top and that whole speech about jumping and how easy life can end and whatnot. I liked Katie's episode - that was drama I could appreciate because it felt real and painful and not exaggerated. I liked JJ's episode because while it was lighter, it still showed a lot about how hard he has to work to overcome his condition and it was good to see that he actually did push himself and he got something out of it. I hated Thomas being such a hypocrite and I hated that there was basically no character development of Pandora.

I must say I didn't ship Effy with anyone. And when I liked Freddie most it was when he was with Karen. I think those two had a lot of chemistry. And I will admit to shipping them.

And yes the novel(s) - I was surprised to be honest because the author was able to capture some of the voices very very well while others not so much. So it was a mixed bag for me but all in all I was pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for the picture!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Master Fan

Took me time to appreciate the novel, actually.. I think Katie, for example was amazingly well written in the novel, also Naomi .. Also the scenes between Cook/Naomi were brilliant. Katie's episode was great because the girl who wrote her episode is a very talented young writer, she wrote the best episode of S5 and the finale of S6 that even though wasn't that good, compared to every other episode that series, it was pure gold.

I am not sure exactly how I felt for Karen/Freddie, I didn't care about them in S3, I found her annoying but funny... in S4 tho, I kinda shipped her with Cook and I loved her relationship with Freddie, but still bro-sis I don't think I went quite there... I totally shipped Tony/Effy though. I can't understand why people would ship the twins though.. maybe because they're actual twins in real life and I just find that creepy...

Nina this is for you
Luke and Klariza - Big Brother UK - YouTube
They're just as adorable off screen tbh
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Elite Fan

I agree Katie and JJ I found were well written. I don't know about Naomi. But well that's perhaps just me. And Katie's episode in S4 was obviously the best of the whole season and one of the best of the whole show. As for the S6 finale... yeah, you know after a season of crap I could live with the end. I liked the Levan brothers bonding and the scene between Matty and Rich where Rich tells him that he sees Grace all the time. There was this look on Matty's face where I thought -- (perhaps since others like Liv have experienced that too) on the one hand he is doubtful and thinks that's a bit loopy but on the other he really wished he could "see" her too and if it's only to say sorry "in person".

Karen/Freddie were my OTP from the first moment on. Then in his S3 episode I loved how he punched Cook in the face for her. I loved how she held his hand in S4 and made him a little origami swan when they waited in the hospital. And at the end of it all it was true what she said in the finale: Nobody loved Freddie like she did.

I don't know, I have trouble shipping Cook with anyone but Freddie. Although I thought Cook/Effy was okay but it didn't really grab me. I never got into Tony/Effy. I know we talked about this before and I re-watched but I just can't see it. Perhaps because they are more each other's caregiver - Tony for her in S1 and to a greater extend roles were reversed in S2. I don't really see the twincest either. I mean I see a lot in their relationship that is totally obvious: Like Katie oppressing Emily in the beginning and then it turning out that she is just very insecure herself and doesn't want to lose her sister etc. -- I can't see anything sexual though.

Awww, thanks May. I'll watch that later at home.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Elite Fan

I like drama more than comedy and lightness too but I hate contrived overdramatic tv shows. I felt S4 was exactly that. Everything just felt forced and put together without thinking about the overall story very much.

I shipped Effy with Cook in S3 but in S4 I didn't ship her with anyone because I could barely recognize the character. She used to be my favorite so I hated what they did to her in S4. S2 Effy is still the best.

I liked Freddie in S3 and I think his episode that season was great because they showed his family. But I hated that he was reduced to "Effy's boyfriend" in S4.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Elite Fan

The whole suicide thing, then Naomi selling drugs and having slept with the girl who killed herself probably because Naomi was with Emily... yeah that was just... I don't even know. Also the ending with the crazy shrink... that was all too much.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The whole suicide thing, then Naomi selling drugs and having slept with the girl who killed herself probably because Naomi was with Emily... yeah that was just... I don't even know. Also the ending with the crazy shrink... that was all too much.
The crazy shrink seemed to be a rejected OTH storyline I remember the show runner said he included it because he read somewhere that happened once.