Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Awesome We can start getting information together
Old 06-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Loyal Fan

Nonie, Emma, and Chrissy, so glad you like the OP update. I've tweaked the art and the title fonts.

I'm liking the plans you guys for discussion. Looking forward to it.

Luthor ღ Lang ♥ Confessions of an L/Ler
jnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

It will be great to get the discussions going

Cesare Borgia

History

Name: Cesare Borgia
Born: 14 September 1475 *
Home town: Rome
Died: 12 March, 1507 (Viana, Navarre)
Position: Cardinal of Valenica, Captain-General of the Papal Army,
Gonfalonier (Standard Bearer), Duke of Valentinois and Romagna,
Lord of Piombino, Camerino and Urbino.
House of: Borgia
Marriage(s): Charlottte d'Albret
Nickname: Marano (Jew), il Valentino, was called "priest and son of a priest" by his enemies.
Personality type: Handsome, attractive to women, discreet in his affairs,
cold, secretive, arrogant, duplicitous, ruthless, merciless,
independent, dominating, calculating, cruel.
Hobbies: Hunting, military manoeuvres, seducing women.
Strength(s): Athletic, strong, competitive, princely, aloof,
noble, generous with his comrades, has the ability to overcome tremendous odds, instilled fear in his enemies,
provoked genuine feelings of loyalty and awe in his men, extreme intelligence, determination, military brilliance, just.
Weakness(es): Lechery, arrogance, hubris, cruelty.

The Show

Name: Cesare Borgia
Date of Birth: 14 September 1475 (Rome)
Date of Death: 18 March 1507 (Viana, Navarre)
Position: Unordained cleric, titluar bishop of Pamplona.
Later Archbishop of Valencia, Cardinal,
Captain-General of the Papal Army, Gonfalonier (Standard-bearer), Duke of Valentinois, Duke of Romagna
Personality type: Ruthless, cold, arrogant, serious, merciless.
Endearing traits: Very handsome, intelligent, determined
Strengths: Highly intelligent, Cesare had a brilliant military mind.
Weaknesses: Lechery, cruelty, arrogance.
Quirks: Unusually close to his little sister, Lucrezia

Last edited by kindness is free; 06-20-2011 at 02:49 AM
kindness is free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Extreme Fan

funny that it lists "lechery" as Cesare's weakness in the show. Does the Ursula affair count as lecherous conduct? Or that one night stand with the girl in the first episode? 'coz compared to Juan...Cesare is almost chaste. LOL

But I do wish the show would highlight Cesare's athleticism and physical strength.

Cesare Lucrezia

soulmates
claire_bear2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

I know right I got this information from a site maybe there will be more to come in S2 considering his reputation in history

Cesare has wanted from the start of S1 to be in charge of the Papal army or at least be able to help. We have seen him fight one on one he is very athletic and physically strong he would be more than capable
Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

First profile add. I do find it interesting for the show profile they're already assuming his later titles that come after he's no longer a cardinal

Chrissy |
red velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
funny that it lists "lechery" as Cesare's weakness in the show. Does the Ursula affair count as lecherous conduct? Or that one night stand with the girl in the first episode? 'coz compared to Juan...Cesare is almost chaste. LOL
I suppose they list it cause hes a cardinal and hes not really supposed to be having affairs so to speak, but with Juan it doesnt really matter?

anyone else find it weird that his date of death on the show is 6 days later than his real life death?

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
s e r e n i t y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes you would think they would keep that information true to history

They are assuming so we will have to see what they do put in the show
Old 06-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

yes I do suppose we'll have to see what route they actually take but for now the information is a good stand-in

Chrissy |
Old 06-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yes the info we have been getting is giving us a guide line to how the show might go.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Loyal Fan

Cesare's profile comparison is really good. One of the most consistently noted parts of Cesares personality, in these profiles and in other places, is his remarkable intelligence. After reading this, I went digging up and found this description of Cesare that I had saved years ago:

"He possesses a marked genius and a charming personality, bearing himself like a great prince. He is especially lively and merry and fond of society." -- Andrea Boccaccio Source: crime library.com/borgia/borgiamain.htm

Thought that was such a refreshing description of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s e r e n i t y (View Post)
I suppose they list it cause hes a cardinal and hes not really supposed to be having affairs so to speak, but with Juan it doesnt really matter?

anyone else find it weird that his date of death on the show is 6 days later than his real life death?
That's a really good explanation for the inclusion of "lechery" on The Borgias profile for him. Makes sense that it would be more noted for him since he was a member of the clergy and there were moral expectations for him. The New World Encyclopedia says Cesare was known for his "womanizing, lavish clothing, and hunting parties" (Cesare Borgia Article, New World Encyclopedia). So the description is consistent, but I do agree that we haven't seen the full scale of it on the show.

On the date, I noticed that too. I'm not sure why the shift in date either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Phoenix~ (View Post)
Yes the info we have been getting is giving us a guide line to how the show might go.
I'm leaning towards that as well. I've gotten the impression from Neil J's interviews that he has a complete vision of how he wants to proceed with the series, so these profiles do seem to reflect that.

This is sort of random, but one of my favorite items of trivia about Cesare is that Leonardo da Vinci worked for him as a cartographer (drawing maps) in the early 1500s. When I found that out a few years ago, I really relished that connection. It sort of reinforces too that Cesare was a thinker, interested in finding out how things worked and making things work for him. It's a little too early in the series to reference it, but I thought I put it out there anyway:

"As a military engineer and architect, Leonardo was put to work designing war machines…. During his time with Borgia, Leonardo designed many machines, including collapsible bridges, wall-mounted ladders, and rotating scythe blades attached to moving chariots. It's also possible that he designed weapons, such as catapults, crossbows, machine guns, and cannons. Leonardo's genius turned lethal, when required.

Like so many religious and political figures of the day, Borgia was also a patron of the arts, and having Leonardo da Vinci in his company was another feather in his cap. Leonardo stayed with Cesare Borgia until his return to Milan in 1506"
(49-50).

Source: 101 Things You Didn't Know about Da Vinci: The Secrets of the World's Most Eccentric and Innovative Genius Revealed by Shania Priwer and Cynthia Phillips.

Luthor ღ Lang ♥ Confessions of an L/Ler
jnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Extreme Fan

I've also read descriptions of Cesare as someone who is very "secretive" and his face inscrutable so you never know what he's thinking.

But at the same time, as mentioned in earlier posts, others also profile him as very charismatic, charming and quite lively. In other words, somewhat of an extrovert. Which kind of conflicts with the other description of him.

It makes me wonder what was his "natural" disposition. If the "lively" attitude was something he only used if it was to his advantage.

Cesare Lucrezia

soulmates
Old 06-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
It makes me wonder what was his "natural" disposition. If the "lively" attitude was something he only used if it was to his advantage.
That's an interesting theory. Perhaps he was aware of people's impressions of him and used what they thought of him in order to more adeptly play out the political games

Chrissy |
Old 06-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Extreme Fan

I love how in the show, Cesare is only naturally happy and lively with Lucrezia. The rest of the time, he's smoldering. hehehe

Cesare Lucrezia

soulmates
Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Loyal Fan

Is it true that women during the Italian renaissance had quite a measure of political and artistic power.

A sample:

Caterina Sforza was on the show for a few episodes. Like many women of the nobility of that time, she was highly educated. She organized the military of Forli against Venice until they left her alone. She defended her keep in Forli when Cesare and a French army attacked it and gained admiration for her bravery.
Quote: If I were to write the story of my life, I would shock the world.

Isabella d'Este, who was called the First Lady of the Renaissance for her great intellect and education, would become the sister-in-law of Lucretia. She was a patron of the arts and ruled Mantua for her husband and later son.

Vittoria Colonna is the most famous Italian female poet of the Italian Renaissance (but far from the only one).

Laura Battiferri: Another very prolific poet.

Maddalena Casulana: the first female European composer (whose work was published).

Isabella Andreini: Playwright and actress.
Hate: Animal Cruelty
Vanora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread