Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2019, 03:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Is "romantical" a word, Arinna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clear (View Post)
I'd like to thank Francois with all my heart for making Neil Jordan aware of the friggin' obvious.

I can't believe Neil even considered shying away from the incest. This was a SHOWTIME show. The network allowed THE TUDORS to be as naughty as it wanted
Hi, Gwen! Yeah, I'd like to thank Francois for that as well.

I know, right? I mean, look at what Game of Thrones has done. And yeah, Showtime didn't mind the debauchery on The Tudors.

I think we're gonna have to wait until Arinna is home from school to watch the finale of Midnight, Texas.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:54 AM
Part-Time Fan

How could you leave Manfred without a head for so long?
Old 01-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I don't know, Anticipation. I couldn't believe they did that, but Arinna and I haven't seen the final episode yet, so I'll give you my full recap as soon as she gets home from school.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sounds good.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I hope we can watch soon, Arinna.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

We will.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Arinna, yes he did write CL as romantic but only after a lot of persuasion from Francois and the fandom at large

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I know, right? I mean, look at what Game of Thrones has done. And yeah, Showtime didn't mind the debauchery on The Tudors.
The Tudors went full-on with sex scenes and most of the characters were very likely related at that point, I mean we know that people in royalty married their cousins etc so why was he so uptight about Ces/Lu?
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-18-2019, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Arinna, yes he did write CL as romantic but only after a lot of persuasion from Francois and the fandom at large

The Tudors went full-on with sex scenes and most of the characters were very likely related at that point, I mean we know that people in royalty married their cousins etc so why was he so uptight about Ces/Lu?
Yep, that's true, Gwen. I think that Jordan was just being petulant about the story he wanted to tell, and backpedaled as if he had nothing to do with the Cesare/Lucrezia chemistry when even Francois and Holliday could tell that's where he was going. I think Jordan began to just change his mind on how he wanted to tell the story, which was annoying.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:24 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Exactly Which is why I said François pushed for the incest. He saw the romantic way CL were written and said in an interview that he and Holly both had been pushing for them to become lovers and were happy when they saw the s3e3 script.

Quote:
I wonder if it was the incest itself that was NJ's problem, because while The Tudors was full of sex and nudity, the incestous relationship that siblings Anne and George Boelyn were accused of having was never mentioned.

Maybe NJ wrote CL as romantic to ALLUDE to possible incest as IRL history, but never intended to have it progress to them having sex.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Nah, NJ wrote them like this since the beginning and he wanted to portray them as the impossible lovers, but... we know what happened in season 3.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mignonette (View Post)
I wonder if it was the incest itself that was NJ's problem, because while The Tudors was full of sex and nudity, the incestous relationship that siblings Anne and George Boelyn were accused of having was never mentioned.

Maybe NJ wrote CL as romantic to ALLUDE to possible incest as IRL history, but never intended to have it progress to them having sex.
See, I can't believe that the incest would've been a problem for Jordan considering the stuff he did in The Crying Game and Interview With The Vampire. He'd be a hypocrite if that were the case. And even if he just wanted to imply it, Francois and Holly certainly felt that they should explore that further, and they were right. If Jordan didn't want that he shouldn't have put it there to begin with.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

He just didn't want to do it.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:51 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
See, I can't believe that the incest would've been a problem for Jordan considering the stuff he did in The Crying Game and Interview With The Vampire. He'd be a hypocrite if that were the case. And even if he just wanted to imply it, Francois and Holly certainly felt that they should explore that further, and they were right. If Jordan didn't want that he shouldn't have put it there to begin with.
The incest was already in the book, Interview with the Vampire, so he didn't create it as he did with The Borgias. He was just following Anne Fice's story. I haven't seen The Crying Game. Was there incest in that movie, Alex?
Old 01-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mignonette (View Post)
The incest was already in the book, Interview with the Vampire, so he didn't create it as he did with The Borgias. He was just following Anne Fice's story. I haven't seen The Crying Game. Was there incest in that movie, Alex?
Hi, Lila! The incest was actually in the sequel, The Vampire Lestat, where Lestat(who was made into a vampire by the self-made vampire, Magnus, a Renaissance scientist who made himself a vampire as an experiment), made his own mother, Gabrielle, a vampire. Gabrielle was only 15 when she had Lestat, and Lestat became a vampire at the age of 20. Gabrielle was in her early to mid 30's and dying of tuberculosis when Lestat changed her, and they became lovers afterwards. Interview didn't really have incest.

No, there wasn't any incest in The Crying Game, but let's just say that The Crying Game had quite a... surprise twist at the end. The main character fell in love with a woman who turned out to be... well, not a woman.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:17 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Hi, Lila! The incest was actually in the sequel, The Vampire Lestat, where Lestat(who was made into a vampire by the self-made vampire, Magnus, a Renaissance scientist who made himself a vampire as an experiment), made his own mother, Gabrielle, a vampire. Gabrielle was only 15 when she had Lestat, and Lestat became a vampire at the age of 20. Gabrielle was in her early to mid 30's and dying of tuberculosis when Lestat changed her, and they became lovers afterwards. Interview didn't really have incest.

No, there wasn't any incest in The Crying Game, but let's just say that The Crying Game had quite a... surprise twist at the end. The main character fell in love with a woman who turned out to be... well, not a woman.
Oh that's right, Alex, I'd forgotten it was only in the sequel, thanks It's been a while since I've read the books.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread