Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
The previews left me kind of meh... especially the way it seems they want to push Cesare/Caterina Sforza as a love-hate relationship on us which in reality wasn't the case. Then the whole overemphasizing on the sexual bits with Jeremy Irons - I personally thought it was enough to see John Doman naked. Also the absolute historically inaccuracy - Alexander VI fled Rome when the French king came back from Naples. While it is somewhat accurate that her father gave Lucrezia some power in the Vatican at one point, it wasn't really more than her opening the mail together with some really old Portuguese Cardinal (Da Costa). I did read somewhere that he gave Vanozza little things to do and oversee in the Vatican (I wish I had the source on me). My main beef is still with the depiction of Giulia and the lack of her purpose without her brother. (Btw, I am reading a book at the moment on him and his ascencion to the papal throne. A few pages ago Giulia died crying and yelling that while she enjoyed the diamonds Rodrigo gave her that was short lived and her life was worth nothing if Alessandro didn't go and become pope soon. Well, he didn't at that point and tried to drown himself in the lake with the island where he buried Giulia on but we all know, he'll pull through and become pope eventually.) That is the general part.

I understand the need to further the story but I am obviously somewhat afraid what it will do to CL and with all the war and trysts and Jeremy Irons sex-scenes going on, I wonder how many CL scenes we will get and if they are good or if they destroy my love for the couple. And as I said at one point - okay, so you want to show the darker sides of the characters, their descend into darkness or whatever - I can see how that works well individually but by the same token, it makes it hard to believe that their relationship can stay pure and innocent which seems to be something the writers are very adamant about: Not going down the incest road. And if they don't, but their characters change for the darker individually, I cannot really see how they can interact all that lovingly and infatuated anymore. And that is worrying me.
I so totally agree with you. I mean this series is wonderful for my eyes but the way it's written is just meh - even lame sometimes.
There's one thing I need to ask you: I started squeeing when I read about this Giulia Farnese book you've mentioned; what's the title?

(Sorry everyone, was I supposed to introduce myself somewhere? So so so sorry, I haven't been around ff in a while)
Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 AM
Elite Fan

Spoiler:

Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Elite Fan

Alice - there are two books one is called "The Pope's Mistress" and the sequel "The Pope's Daughter" they are both by Frederik Berger. I wrote synopses/reviews for both of them. Here and here. Also for a few other books... wish someone came around to discuss but oh well.

memory - That sounds harmless enough to watch I just don't want to be so emotionally involved with it that it is really painful - sure I can tell myself it's just TV, I don't know sometimes that doesn't really help, stupid but true and then i feel down about it. And
Spoiler:

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 03-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Elite Fan

Spoiler:

Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Alice - there are two books one is called "The Pope's Mistress" and the sequel "The Pope's Daughter" they are both by Frederik Berger. I wrote synopses/reviews for both of them. Here and here. Also for a few other books... wish someone came around to discuss but oh well.
So you read them in German, right? I've been trying to find them in English or French or anything and I couldn't. Thanks though!

As for the episode, I think they were just referring to Ursula and Paolo respectively.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:31 AM
Elite Fan

memory - I watched it now.
Spoiler:

Alice - Yes I did. His books are very well written and researched. Shame there is no translation (yet) - there is a request button on amazon somewhere, I think - it says "let the publisher know you want the book in ebook format, perhaps you can add and translate it first would be also quite rad." As for the scene, yes to me it was sadly too obvious that she was talking about Paolo. I don't think he thought of Ursula though, perhaps he gave the Greek legends a quick thought. Otherwise he seemed way too busy to be jealous and pitying himself.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Elite Fan

Spoiler:

Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Elite Fan

Spoiler:

Sorry I'm so bloody frustrated now knowing what to expect.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Master Fan

I don't think I can add anything to what you guys already said. This show pretty much disappoints me in everything except for the costumes.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Elite Fan

That and the fact that Joanne Whalley is pretty. Apart from that this show makes me weep. And season 1 was actually not bad... or perhaps I didn't see it because CL were so lovely and Joanne so pretty. It's a total shame if you ask me because that's a great cast they have Jeremy Irons and Colm Feore - I think it would be stellar if they had actual scenes together doing this whole political cat and mouse play thing instead of ... well the plump and boring thing they are doing. (Ah... frankly at the moment I'm so disappointed that I'm more interested in who Fontana will cast as Caterina Sforza.)

So how am I going to make it through the season... probably by vacuum cleaning and fast forwarding to see Joanne's scenes.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Master Fan

If you look around, CL are all people care about when it comes to The Borgias. Which is fine in a way, but not fair at all. "Wasted potential" is this show's second name.
And speaking of CL, this puppy thing isn't historically accurate nor enjoyable to watch any longer. I actually dared to hope Cesare would become Cesare in S2, but I see I should give up with that hope, lol.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Elite Fan

Right? He seems so meek in the premiere. And then
Spoiler:

Ah yeah - know what you mean though. I wrote fanfic before and I wanted to save myself some dignity and at least put their relationship into a context and you know have some politics in there, other characters interacting. But the feedback I often got was "love your writing but I always just read the CL stuff". Talking about frustrated.

And I agree with you on "not enjoyable to watch any longer". Loved it in season one although as I have often said there were moments when it wasn't really innocent but now... ach.

As for Cesare, yeah I kind of wish that by crazy-glueing Marta Gastini's fake hair piece on François Arnaud's head they would have given Cesare some of Euro!Giulia's fierceness.

See what I'm saying is - yes I LOVE AND WANT CL on the show, I want them to have awesome scenes together and I'm one of those who wouldn't mind seeing it actually happen but I want other things too, okay - and that isn't too much to ask with that amazing cast and all the possibilities history presented, it's not like the pony I never got for my birthday, it's absolutely doable if you just... get a grip.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Ah yeah - know what you mean though. I wrote fanfic before and I wanted to save myself some dignity and at least put their relationship into a context and you know have some politics in there, other characters interacting. But the feedback I often got was "love your writing but I always just read the CL stuff". Talking about frustrated.
Wow that does sound awful. O_O

Quote:
And I agree with you on "not enjoyable to watch any longer". Loved it in season one although as I have often said there were moments when it wasn't really innocent but now... ach.

As for Cesare, yeah I kind of wish that by crazy-glueing Marta Gastini's fake hair piece on François Arnaud's head they would have given Cesare some of Euro!Giulia's fierceness.
It's really getting hard to take him seriously, and now even the hair doesn't help.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Elite Fan

Ah, it's fine - I enjoyed writing it, especially Della Rovere and Rodrigo being all conniving but polite and with heaps of saracasm and innuendos while trying to work together.

Oh yes, that hair - serious problem!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Master Fan

Yeah the show has them being all Tom & Jerry to each other, but come on and Giuliano wasn't even a Saint. He cheated to be elected himself, and apart from being basically gay and vaguely paedophile he also had at least a daughter which I'd DIE to see on The Borgias but yeah. Another hope I'd just let go!