Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2018, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

False? That's one I never heard of.

Machiavelli knew and collaborated with Leonardo da Vinci.

True or False?
Old 08-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Part-Time Fan

True he knew him. Did they collaborate on something? I don't remember

Cesare Borgia was always loving towards Lucrezia, but was disrespectful and callous with other women.

True or False?

Alex, that was true: Machiavelli actually did believe Cesare and Lucrezia were incestuous. He wrote a letter to a close friend saying he believed it was true, but cautioned his friend to never speak of it. Luckily his friend kept quiet and the letter wasn't discovered until years later.
Mignonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, okay, Lila. I wasn't sure if that was true or fanfic.

False. He was kind to Charlotte for the brief time he was with her.

Juan contracted syphilis in real life.

True or False?
Old 08-06-2018, 08:30 AM
Elite Fan

False.

Juan married his older half-brother's bride after he unexpectedly died.

True or false?

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Nikki K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

True.

Rodrigo's great grandson was canonized as a saint.

True or False?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Elite Fan

True.

Rordrigo appointed Girolama's (his second oldest daughter's) brother-in-law Julian Cesarini Cardinal and standard bearer of the Roman People. Besides the Farnese this was the only Roman house to the rise of which the Borgia essentially contributed.

True or False?

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 08-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

False? Rodrigo made him a Cardinal Deacon, which is a low ranking Cardinal.

Pope Innocent VIII endorsed witch hunting.

True or False?
Old 08-07-2018, 04:51 PM
Elite Fan

Well, yes, he appointed him a cardinal-deacon among others like Cesare Borgia and Alessandro Farnese but you know that a cardinal-deacon is still a cardinal though in the hierachy of the church a lower ranking one. He is still above a bishop or archbishop. They are mainly officials of the Roman Curia holding various posts in the church administration.

So the answer to my question was true. You can read up about it here in Ferdinand Gregorovius –*"History of the City of Rome in the Middle Ages."

And yes that is true. On the request of German inquisitor Heinrich Kramer, Innocent VIII issued the papal bull Summis desiderantes (5 December 1484), which supported Kramer's investigations against magicians and witches.

Innocent VIII married his son to Maddalena de' Medici who in turn demanded a cardinal's hat for her younger brother Giovianni, who later became Pope Leo X.

True or False?

Old 08-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

True. That was difficult to find.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the link, Nina. Sorry, I thought that was a trick question.

Ascanio Sforza was accused of the murder of Juan Borgia.

True or False?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:04 AM
Part-Time Fan

True, who wasn't?

IRL, Lucrezia was the only woman Cesare ever loved?

True or False?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:20 AM
Elite Fan

Well, we like to think that, especially the shippers among us but I don't think we can look into a person's heart. I would say that Cesare surely loved Lucrezia most consistently. I wouldn't say she was the only one. After all, there was Fiammetta Michaelis – there are historical sources that attest to their relationship. And that it wasn't more than just a fling, e. g. we can see that in the deeds of donation, the "Flammettae Ducis Valentini Testamenti Transumptum" where Cesare, Duke of Valentino, gifted her several expensive houses. See – Satta, F. (1997): Fiammetta.*– In: Dizzionario Biografico degli Italiani, 345pp.

Giulia's nickname was "La Bella".

True or False?

Old 08-09-2018, 01:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

True.

That was true, Nina. Cesare wrote letters to Lucrezia and saying she was the only woman he'd ever loved, and signed some of them, "your brother, who loves you as himself". She kept his letters in a trunk, taking them everywhere she lived, and they are preserved in Rome. He told many people he'd never cared for any woman except his sister, and this was one reason the incest rumour persisted. As far as his mistresses, Fiametta included, there's no documentation he loved any of them. It was common for men to give their mistresses expensive things like houses, jewels, etc, and the Borgias had free houses and palaces to give away after all the excommunicating and plundering And Cesare did owe Fiametta since she continued giving her "favors" after his syphilis

King Charles V111 of France's invasion of Italy was by invitation of Ludavico Sforza.

True or False?
Old 08-09-2018, 06:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

True. King Charles was allied with Ludovico, who needed help from the French to secure his legitimacy as ruler of Milan.

Rodrigo and Cesare handed Djem over to King Charles VIII.

True or False?
Old 08-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mignonette (View Post)
That was true, Nina. Cesare wrote letters to Lucrezia and saying she was the only woman he'd ever loved, and signed some of them, "your brother, who loves you as himself". [/B]
I've seen that signature once, Lila, it was in a letter Cesare wrote to Lucrezia when she was having a difficult pregancy with her first child by Alfonso d'Este. The letter dates back to mid July 1502. Lucrezia's daughter was still born despite Cesare sending her Niccolò Masini, a famous doctor from Cesena. But I have never read the first part. Would you mind giving me a citation preferable to an original source text as in the letter in question so I can verify? That would be super!

I have never read that he bought anything of such value for any of his other mistresses as he did for Fiammetta, which I grant you – does not equal love but it indicates there was more than the usual business transaction. I also would like to know where you have read that it was Fiammetta who gave Cesare syphilis? Could you please provide a citation for this as well? Thank you so much! I also didn't come across a lot of documentation where other mistresses of Cesare were given much attention by name. As for the gift giving, usually from my understand, Fiammetta was a Cortigiana Honesta (like it's speculated Vanozza may have been though that term may not have been coined by then), that would be someone you would be somewhat exclusive with and actually give gifts to like jewellry, fabric, in rare cases even property – it's nothing you give to just anybody.

Also yes, Alex, that is true. Rodrigo handed Cem over to Charles VIII who left Rome with the French Army on 28 January 1495. He died not even a month later in Capua. Allegedly from pneumonia. His brother, Sultan Bayezid, requested to have the body back to administer Islamic funeral rights but it wasn't until four years later that he got it because of attempts to receive more gold for the corpse. Cem was eventually buried in Bursa.

Anne Boleyn was a childhood friend of Lucrezia's daughter-in-law Renée de France.

True or False?

Last edited by Nikki K; 08-10-2018 at 01:40 PM
Old 08-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

True? But I don't know if they were friends from childhood.

Quote:
Another of Renée’s reformist friends was Anne Boleyn, whom she had gotten to know well when Anne was serving as one of her sister Claude’s attendants at the French court. While the rest of Europe was spreading calumny about Anne Boleyn from pillar to post, Renée would always remember her “with kindness and affection”.

Lucrezia's third husband, Alfonso d'Este, was once married to Caterina Sforza's younger half sister.

True or False?