Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2014, 04:27 AM
Loyal Fan

Those are the ones. Thanks Christine!

Had the strangest experience walking through Cesare's apartments in the Vatican (now the Raphael Rooms since Julius aka Della Rovere had them repainted by Raphael after Cesare died). Everyone was looking up at the paintings on the ceiling while I was looking at the actual rooms thinking this is the room where Micheletto killed Alphonso and where Cesare was held under house arrest or this is the room where Chestnuts happened. If only the walls could talk

Here lies in a little earth he who everyone feared, he who held peace and war in his hand.
il valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Master Fan

I would have been fangirling THE WHOLE TIME tbh.
DGSAFDMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm so slow... I never realized you could visit the place in RL!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Elite Fan

I'd like to know if Kim's visit to Italy and Spain changed in anyway, the script she's working on?
Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

What scripts? :O
Old 06-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekymonkey503 (View Post)
I'd like to know if Kim's visit to Italy and Spain changed in anyway, the script she's working on?
Christine, It changed in so many ways! I have such a better feel for scenes now that I have seen these places and have already incorporated a few places that I wouldn't have before. But the biggest change will be the ending. I have always been hazy about the circumstances of Cesare's death, but after speaking with the expert in Viana on Cesare's time in Spain, I'm much more confident about why he died and it has nothing to do with suicide or rookie mistakes!

I did forget to tell you that the tourist office people in Viana, Spain were just spectacular. They spent the better part of a day with us driving us around and answering questions. They were really invaluable. We received signed copies of a book written on Cesare from the Spanish perspective and a bottle of wine that was made for the 500th anniversary of Cesare's death. And what do you think it was called? Cesare's Poison!

Here lies in a little earth he who everyone feared, he who held peace and war in his hand.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Are you talking about RL Cesare? You seem to be talking about both but the lines blur.

Visiting improved your experience of the show.

And an expert there gave you more insight into Cesare's death, from what? What is his source?

Do you have a link to the place you visited? Which Vatican museum was it?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by il valentino (View Post)
Christine, It changed in so many ways! I have such a better feel for scenes now that I have seen these places and have already incorporated a few places that I wouldn't have before. But the biggest change will be the ending. I have always been hazy about the circumstances of Cesare's death, but after speaking with the expert in Viana on Cesare's time in Spain, I'm much more confident about why he died and it has nothing to do with suicide or rookie mistakes!

I did forget to tell you that the tourist office people in Viana, Spain were just spectacular. They spent the better part of a day with us driving us around and answering questions. They were really invaluable. We received signed copies of a book written on Cesare from the Spanish perspective and a bottle of wine that was made for the 500th anniversary of Cesare's death. And what do you think it was called? Cesare's Poison!
Cesare's poison that's perfect name for it.

Maybe just because Alexander was a Pope and so more of the art and monuments about him survived because of this, I was surprised by how many Alexander related pictures you sent. I wonder if your take on Alexander and Cesare's relationship changed as well?

I've heard that in Italy they're less kind about people curious about The Borgias so glad to hear people in Spain treated you so well.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Wait I just realized you said Spain? I thought Cesare's house / Vatican apartments were in Italy?

EDIT: If I were to take a trip to Rome, Italy, how would I go about planning to visit certain museums?

Last edited by sourburst; 06-27-2014 at 04:09 PM
sourburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourburst (View Post)
Wait I just realized you said Spain? I thought Cesare's house / Vatican apartments were in Italy?

EDIT: If I were to take a trip to Rome, Italy, how would I go about planning to visit certain museums?
Jade,

Hi! To answer your questions and clear up your confusion, I, along with my writing partner, Kelly, are writing a screenplay about Cesare Borgia's life. It is almost entirely based on history, so very different from The Borgias which was a fictional work of art. I just spent 3 weeks touring Borgia-related sites in Spain and Italy, hence the pictures that Christine has graciously posted for me.

The real Cesare Borgia was double-crossed by the Spanish general Cordoba and imprisoned in Naples after Alexander died. He was then moved to a minimum security prison in Spain named Chinchilla where he tried to strangle a guard. He was then moved to Medina del Campo, which was quite interior in Spain and a maximum security prison. He managed to escape, though broke his shoulder in the attempt. After escaping, he holed up till he had healed, then proceeded to Navarre to offer his services to his brother-in-law who was fighting a war of independence against Spain. Cesare had been there only a week before he was killed in a meaningless skirmish.So, you are correct that Cesare's palace and the Vatican are in Rome, but after his father dies, his story moves to Spain.

Visiting these places improved my understanding of Cesare's life, hence gave me a better understanding in writing my screenplay.

The expert in Viana has written a book in which he has collected all information, stories, legends, forensic information, etc. on Cesare's time in Spain. Unfortunately, much of this information never makes it into Anglo publications.

I visited several museums in Rome, including the Capitoline, the Vatican museum, The Borghese museum, as well as several churches, etc. If you have a specific interest, I would be happy to help. I would definitely recommend reserving ahead for the Vatican as the line can be quite long, especially in Summer.

Christine, I don't think my feeling on Alexander and Cesare's relationship changed. In fact, after seeing their names tied together in the Borgia Apartments, my thought on this became more solid. There was a definite change in power from father to son, and I think at some point Alexander realized he had a tiger by the tail.

Last edited by il valentino; 06-27-2014 at 05:12 PM
Old 06-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for getting back to me That sounds very interesting. I love that your writing a screenplay! It's what I want to do after Uni. Not of the borgias, but write screenplays etc

Which Vatican museum? I know there's two because there are the gardens too? Where did you go when you seen Cesare's rooms?
Old 06-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourburst (View Post)
Thanks for getting back to me That sounds very interesting. I love that your writing a screenplay! It's what I want to do after Uni. Not of the borgias, but write screenplays etc

Which Vatican museum? I know there's two because there are the gardens too? Where did you go when you seen Cesare's rooms?

Are you talking about Alexander's garden in the Castel St. Angelo? The Castel is attached to the Vatican by the Passetto.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGSAFDMD (View Post)
Thanks for posting the pics! I can also spy Lucrezia in that portrait, looks like she's staring at Cesare.
Which one is Lucrezia in the pic? The one wearing what looks like a red hat?

Thanks for the pics, Kim! I hope you had a great time in Italy!
How is the screenplay coming?

It's terrible that Cesare's life had to come to an end in Spain in such a meaningless way. Think of all he could've done had he lived...... and all the ways he could've done Lucrezia.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Which one is Lucrezia in the pic? The one wearing what looks like a red hat?

Thanks for the pics, Kim! I hope you had a great time in Italy!
How is the screenplay coming?

It's terrible that Cesare's life had to come to an end in Spain in such a meaningless way. Think of all he could've done had he lived...... and all the ways he could've done Lucrezia.
She's in the blue dress with the red cape.

Screenplay is great! Finished with the first 8 episodes (1st season) As soon as I get back, I will be seeking out an agent. Will let y'all know how it goes.

Yes, he did meet a sad end, and I think had he lived, he would have united Italy and given them good government.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by il valentino (View Post)
She's in the blue dress with the red cape.

Screenplay is great! Finished with the first 8 episodes (1st season) As soon as I get back, I will be seeking out an agent. Will let y'all know how it goes.

Yes, he did meet a sad end, and I think had he lived, he would have united Italy and given them good government.
Ohh, I see her now! She's like a queen to Cesare's king. Maybe the artist suspected something as well?

Woah, you're writing a whole series? That's awesome! Keep us posted on how it's going. It's different from the Showtime series, I take it?

Yeah, perhaps Europe itself might have been different as well.