Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

An interesting article from a few days ago

'The Borgias': Why Creator Neil Jordan Is Glad He Failed to Get It Made as a Movie

Quote:
Neil Jordan tried for years to make The Borgias, about the ruthless 15th-century Italian ruling clan, as a movie that almost starred Viggo Mortensen and Christina Ricci, then Colin Farrell and Scarlett Johansson, but it's probably better as a Showtime series. The first season, which ended May 21, averaged 3.15 million viewers a week (including replays, on demand and DVR). That beats the fourth and best-rated season of The Tudors. On Thursday, the glossy, gory family drama could fetch Emmy noms for Jeremy Irons as the Godfatherish Borgia pope, Holliday Grainger and Francois Arnaud as his tormented offspring, Joanne Whalley as his bitter wife, Lotte Verbeek as the mistress on whose body his finger sketches the map of Italy, and Colm Feore and Derek Jacobi as scheming cardinals.

Besides Irons, the show's likeliest Emmy noms are for costumes, art direction, and the writing/directing of Jordan, who won the 1993 writing Oscar (plus a directing nom) for The Crying Game. He spills The Borgias' bloody secrets to The Hollywood Reporter.
More here

I think I may have seen bits of it elsewhere as well..

Chrissy |
Old 07-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Elite Fan

Viggo and Christina Ricci?

I can see Christina as Lucrezia but who would Viggo play? Interesting choice tho

icon
Old 08-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Elite Fan

From Ruta Gedmintas (Ursula) twit:

Quote:
"Mornin..just to let those of you know who are querying,I don't appear till ep 4 of the Borgias..hope you enjoy it"

icon
Old 08-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

She has to appear at all?

Chrissy |
Old 08-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Absolute Fan

You need to stop
Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Elite Fan

In the first season, her first appearance was in episode 4 too

icon
Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

There are a bunch of articles out right now since the show just started airing on Sky Atlantic today

Quote:
It is Rome, 1492. First scene, and the pope is, cough cough, on his death bed, cursing with his last breaths how corrupt cardinals will "fight like dogs for this throne". Second scene – bonking. Because that's how historical dramas work now, isn't it? Lusty romps, thrilling violence, scandal and intrigue, with a scant regard for historical accuracy but great, glossy production values.

The Borgias, from the makers of The Tudors, would seem to fill these criteria; its cast members are grandly thespian or youthfully good-looking. And, with a story about greedy, grandiose wannabe popes, there's plenty of opportunity for backstabbing betrayals and swish costumes.
More here

Quote:
Dark, racy period drama The Borgias kicks off on Sky Atlantic tomorrow night, and stars Jeremy Irons as Rodrigo Borgia, a ruthless clergyman who uses his wits and cunning - not to mention the odd spot of bribery and murder - to be elected as Pope Alexander VI.

To mark the show's UK premiere, Digital Spy caught up with David Oakes, who plays Rodrigo's arrogant young son, Juan. In our chat below, David tells all about his "lecherous" role and reveals how close he came to taking up a new career as a stuntman! Warning: there a few (historical) spoilers contained within!
more here

Quote:
BEVERLY HILLS – The Borgias will not vanish into history if Showtime president David Nevins has anything to say about it.

Nevins told Postmedia News that the Canadian co-production is “honestly, as big a show as I’ve ever worked on,” and vowed he will keep it going as long as he can.

“I’m really happy with The Borgias,” he said.

The Borgias, nominated earlier this week for a Gemini for outstanding dramatic series, defied early expectations by becoming one of Showtime’s most-watched new dramas, surpassing the mark set by The Tudors, Nevins said. The Tudors aired for four seasons. The Borgias, now airing Tuesdays on CTV, has just resumed production on its second season. It aired earlier this year on the Canadian arts channel Bravo!, which is one of The Borgias’ sponsors, along with Showtime.

Nevins said he stepped off a plane from Budapest, Hungary, just a few weeks ago.
more here

Quote:
Two young British actors have told Newsbeat about the "devious" world of TV show The Borgias.

The raunchy drama, already a hit in the US, tells the story of a powerful renaissance-era Italian family and their rise to power.

David Oakes plays the "lecherous" Juan Borgia while Holliday Grainger plays the "innocent but not naive" 13-year-old, Lucrezia Borgia.

The show debuts on digital channel Sky Atlantic on Saturday 13 August.

David Oakes, 27, said the show was about the family's "manipulation of the city and their aspirations of grandeur".

'Poisoning people'
"My character Juan is the debauched black sheep of the family," he revealed.
more here

Quote:
© Showtime
Jeremy Irons has said that historical drama The Borgias is "no documentary".

The actor plays Rodrigo Borgia - who became Pope Alexander VI - in the show and told Sky Magazine that it is more about the characters than the costumes and period details.

Irons said: "It's not a documentary, it's a great story. It's high drama and high stakes.

"I hope you will be inside the heads of these people and that the costumes will be the icing on the cake. But it's about the people, what they feel and why they do what they do."
more here

I'm sure there's more than that, but I figured this was plenty to post here

Chrissy |
Old 08-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Elite Fan

"lecherous" Juan Borgia...

icon
Old 08-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah that was pretty funny. I don't think of him being quite that bad though

Chrissy |
Old 08-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Elite Fan

No, I don't think so either. Vulgar, maybe but not quiet lecherous

icon
Old 08-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by red velvet (View Post)
She has to appear at all?
my thoughts exactly!

No one cares about Ursula. Sorry Ruta.

Cesare Lucrezia

soulmates
Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
David Alpay signs up for 'The Borgias' role

David Alpay has signed up to appear in the second season of The Borgias.

The actor has landed a major recurring role in the show, Deadline reports.

His character Calvino is an Italian prince who becomes a suitor for Lucrezia (Holliday Grainger).

Alpay is probably best known for his role as Mark Smeaton in Showtime's former historical series The Tudors.
Read more here

He looks pretty cute

icon
Old 08-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Elite Fan

Hah, just discussing that on LJ... oh my. I don't know.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 08-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Elite Fan

I think he's a fictional character. I don't remember reading anything about him when I did my reading on the family.

icon
Old 08-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Elite Fan

Yep. As someone said on LJ: Since Ursula I'm kind of traumatized by fictional characters on the show...

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Closed Thread   Post New Thread