Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 06:11 AM
Elite Fan

I see if I can find it and make a screenshot. Otherwise, good thinking, Watson Kim!

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Loyal Fan

Nina, I haven't read the Bradford book on Lucrezia, but have read the one on Cesare. I think you said that you weren't enamored of her book on Lucrezia. What did you find problematic?

Sorry, it was Barbara who said that. Would love to hear from either of you.

Here lies in a little earth he who everyone feared, he who held peace and war in his hand.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
While Sabatini mostly wrote novels, he also wrote six non-fiction books and I think a lot of people agree hat he is a terrific writer. And as I said I found his book to be well researched plus he did put some critical thinking about the original sources he used. So yes, give that a go. The thing with Strathern was that it obviously doesn't cover Cesare's whole life but first and foremost the times where he crossed paths with both Machiavelli and Da Vinci – which is definitely interesting but only a small window. So I guess I'd read the former for a more comprehensive picture and the latter for more details on an important period in Cesare's life. Have fun!
By any chance, do you also know any good biography of Cesare written in French ? One of my friends wants to read it but she can't read english. Its seems that Sabatini and Strathern are not translated in French.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Elite Fan

As I said, I haven't read the one on Cesare, so that might have been different – did she write that before she wrote the one about Lucrezia?

The latter I found problematic because – as we discussed before every biographer seems to have a bias towards their subject to some degree, probably because s/he is spending so much time on it – but I thought with Bradford's book of Lucrezia that went to the extreme. I also often found that she already had a narrative and then bent all her "evidence" to make it fit. Furthermore said "evidence" very often wasn't backed up by any citation or sources. I guess a lot of people love her biography because it talks so much about her relationship with Cesare but there again – I didn't find some claims well documented/proven. Additionally, like I think you mentioned with the book on Cesare – it does give you a board overlook over the times she lived in, however, in the case of this biography I didn't think it was well connected to the person. Altogether I very much prefer Monica Bellonci's book – I thought she focused more Lucrezia than on the family but knew how to put Lucrezia's life into context with her family and the politics of the time. I found that especially apparent in the later chapters on her marriage to Alfonso d'Este. Perhaps you will find that harsh or disagree which is fine but in my personal opinion, Ferndinand Gregorovius did a better job at assessing the credibility of original sources than Bradford.

I looked again and it appears Bradford wrote her biography on Cesare in 1976 and the one on Lucrezia was published in 2005? So I can only speculate that over time she probably became a little too attached to certain ideas. I don't know.

I did make some screencaps and will put them together/post them here in a bit.

ETA: Barbara, there is a French translation of Sabatini. There is also Ivan Cloulas – "César Borgia: Fils de pape, prince et aventurier'. But I haven't read that one. So I don't have an opinion on it.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Master Fan

Yes I have the same problem as Nina. I didn't even finish the book.
We don't always know what her sources are from. Maybe she wrote her opinion on the topic ?

Nina, thanks for the link
Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Elite Fan

Okay, so I pieced it together from screencaps:

Source: Meyer, G.J. (2013): The Borgias, The Hidden History. – Bantam. 512p.

Again I wonder about the sources here. And then there are other things that make me doubt it – for instance Vanozza's ledger where she is called the mother of Juan, Cesare, Lucrezia and Joffre. Why not mention the other children then? And if we're talking about importance – saying only the important children were listed... how would you determine that: of course Cesare and Lucrezia stood out in a way at the time. However, what makes Joffre or Juan more important than Pedro Luis – fine, Pedro Luis died from a fever and Juan was brutally murdered but those are hardly their own impressive achievements. And Isabella actually outlived them all – plus she was the great-great grandmother of a pope. So... I'm not terribly convinced until I see what this is based on.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:10 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
Okay, so I pieced it together from screencaps:

Source: Meyer, G.J. (2013): The Borgias, The Hidden History. – Bantam. 512p.

Again I wonder about the sources here. And then there are other things that make me doubt it – for instance Vanozza's ledger where she is called the mother of Juan, Cesare, Lucrezia and Joffre. Why not mention the other children then? And if we're talking about importance – saying only the important children were listed... how would you determine that: of course Cesare and Lucrezia stood out in a way at the time. However, what makes Joffre or Juan more important than Pedro Luis – fine, Pedro Luis died from a fever and Juan was brutally murdered but those are hardly their own impressive achievements. And Isabella actually outlived them all – plus she was the great-great grandmother of a pope. So... I'm not terribly convinced until I see what this is based on.
Nice! Will be back to you later. Let me see if he is getting this from De Roo.

Here lies in a little earth he who everyone feared, he who held peace and war in his hand.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Fan

^^ Link to The Black Duke ^^

^^ Link to The Conclave ^^

^^ Link to The Secrets Nights of Lucrezia Borgia, FYI it's an erotica

Last edited by BL.Arinna_1982; 06-19-2013 at 07:25 AM
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Hun, we can't post links to Torrent and Pirate sites here. It's against the FF rules. If you want to suggest some links like these to someone, PM them.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Extreme Fan

Here's what I wish would happen (I posted on tumblr):

Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Elite Fan

Not my bb Della Rovere (who was so different IRL).

Srsly though, Sara - you should write some fanfic. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who'd read it.

That being said, I should update "La Liste" soon...

Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Extreme Fan

I am writing 2 fics right now one is from 3x03 and the other one is from post 3x10 but it's slow going. And very smutty. I will post links when I'm done.

If I wrote a fic about Della Rovere he probably won't die like that, it'd be more dramatic
Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Elite Fan

Sounds like an excellent plan! Good luck with your writing!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Elite Fan

An interesting podcast from Meyer on his book:
“The Borgias: The Hidden History.”

the borgias ITALIA
Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Extreme Fan

Found a nice fic. That's an end I would really like.
She Is Mine, a borgias fanfic | FanFiction