Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2017, 07:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hi, Nina! Sorry, I was out having dinner.

I'm okay with Alex Kingston, but I didn't like River. Sure, the scenes with Tennant were okay, but her scenes with Smith just got over the top. I got sick of it after a while. Oh, and she also misrepresented American history during the Richard Nixon episode. "Vietnam, Watergate, but he had some good qualities." Watergate was Nixon's mess, but Vietnam was all Lyndon Johnson's. If Moffat is gonna make fun of us, he can at least get the history right. So yeah, I do agree with you about Moffat.

Well, I think Jenna just made Doctor Who great all around. I liked Matt Smith with Jenna a lot more than with the Ponds. Oh, and thanks for explaining Bill's name.

So the new companion is a man? That figures.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I'm okay with Alex Kingston, but I didn't like River. Sure, the scenes with Tennant were okay, but her scenes with Smith just got over the top.
Yeah, I agree with you all around. And it makes me sad in the sense that I loved Alex Kingston in other roles and had high hopes for her. So I wanted to like River but it wasn't meant to be in the Smith era. Meh. Which again is why I don't want to compare River to Romana because I adored Romana... or the Rani even. I wish we could have both Romana and the Rani back (still think it would have been hilarious of SJA's Rani would have turned into The Rani). Like, I always held out high hopes that Lucy Saxon would be revealed to be a brainwashed Romana or an undercover Romana who was secretly working against the Master but I guess RTD was not clever even to come up with such a fine plot. I mean just look at her – Alexandra Moen had this whole classy demeanour (admittedly buried under layers of abuse) that was inherent to Tamm and Ward both.

Yeah... I mean I guess I'm not surprised and I'll withhold my opinion until I've seen him in the role but I'm not terribly optimistic. He's a game show host and his acting credits extend to a soap opera if I recall correctly. I had hope they may bring back Katherine Kelly. She definitely was the best thing about the failed spin-off "C.L.A.S.S.".

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Nikki K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

So, are you both watching Doctor Who?
Old 08-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

No, you know I'm not watching Doctor Who anymore, Arinna. I stopped watching the same time you did.

I think Moffat just overdid it with River during the Smith era, Nina. And having her turn out to be Amy and Rory's daughter conceived while they were on the TARDIS was just... I don't know. Like I said, it's a rather absurd way for her to be so connected to the TARDIS to the point where I felt it would've been easier to simply have her turn out to be Romana in another regeneration. After all, if anyone was gonna end up married to the Doctor it should've been her. And I forgot about the Rani. That's a good idea. Lucy Saxon turning out to be Romana would've been another good idea, but both RTD and Moffat's stubborn reluctance to bring Romana back was frustrating, especially given how much admiration they both apparently had for Mary Tamm and Lalla Ward. Just one more reason I dislike the Moffat, aside from his subtle distaste for the USA. I can tell, believe me.

OMG, this guy is a former game show host? Well this is gonna be interesting. And who is Katherine Kelly again? Was she on the Capaldi series?
Old 08-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Elite Fan

Well, Alex, I am trying to get you to at least watch some of the Peter/Jenna and Twelve/Clara videos because they are just too cute. And you should absolutely give at least a few clips a chance. Because... awwww... – plus I may be writing fanfic.

I thought Lucy Saxon as Romana would have been a splendid idea – I never cared for Simm as the Master but that would have added an interesting dimension to it if he got to Romana just to mess with the Doctor and then the Doctor would have felt like he'd need to free Romana and maybe it could have turned out that Romana wasn't as brainwashed as she had made the Master believe and Romana and the Doctor could have worked together. That would have been fabulous. I did like Alexandra Moen. I think she could have totally pulled it off.

Yeah, gosh the whole Melody thing was so convoluted it made my head hurt.

Really? Moffat had a dislike for the U.S. apart from that snafu you mentioned above? Because I felt at some point it was very annoying during New Who that we'd constantly have episode in the U.S. or some version of New New York when all I really wanted was... like... think about Four/Romana going to Paris for instance, if we have to stay on Earth and don't want it to be London.

I always thought the Rani was great fun. Would love to see her back. During "Sarah Jane Adventures" I really hoped that at some point Rani played by Aniji Mohindra would turn out to be The Rani but I knew that was too much to ask.

So last year there was this new Doctor Who spin off called "C.L.A.S.S." that was set at Clara's old school where aliens were wrecking havoc through some time rift. It wasn't terribly good but Katherine Kelly played an alien posing as a Science teacher who was enslaved by this other alien posing as a student and the Doctor basically put them there in protective custody. Katherine Kelly previously played Lady Mae on "Mr. Selfridge". She's really really pretty and a brilliant actress.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 08-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hi, Nina! I know, and I liked those vids you sent me. They are cute. And that's great if you're writing fanfic!

That sounds like a good idea for Romana. I'd love for The Master to figure into it somehow. And is that the actress who played Lucy? Alexandra Moen?

Who was Melody again? Sorry, I really didn't keep up with things during the Capaldi era.

Yeah, well in nearly everything that Moffat wrote I got the idea that he didn't like the USA. Like that comment that Twelve said about how people in the USA just pray all the time. Moffat always seemed to have a very condescending view of the USA. Sure, there were a lot of Doctor Who episodes set in the USA so that BBC could market the show in the USA, but I also got the idea that Moffat resented that as well. And yeah, I also liked City of Death where Four and Romana were in Paris. That remained the highest rated Doctor Who episode until the 50th anniversary episode.

Oh, I see. I never saw CLASS or The Sarah Jane Adventures. Those, and Torchwood never caught my interest. My mom was more into that. But thanks for that link. And Katherine does look pretty.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:14 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And is that the actress who played Lucy? Alexandra Moen?
Yep... that's her, I think it would have been excellent had it been revealed she was Romana, she certainly looks the part:

Source: so glad to meet you

Quote:
Who was Melody again? Sorry, I really didn't keep up with things during the Capaldi era.
Ahm, you mentioned Melody Pond yourself, no - Amy's and Rory's daughter, who turns into River Song with the whole TARDIS DNA "logic"... so no, nothing Capaldi era in that. Simply Smith & Moffat.

Yeah, "City of Death" was great... idek, I think Moffat resents a great many things. So I'm a bit whatever about his opinion.

Well, you honestly picked the worst spin-off then - I mean "Torchwood" was bloody awful. It surrounded Jack by cast of characters that had zero charisma or purpose, actors without an ounce of talent, stories with no point. I wrote mock running commentary on every episode of season 2 because I thought the show was so daft. In comparison "The Sarah Jane Adventures" was simply brilliant, a master piece if you will and so entertaining. That was one of the last episodes where I liked Matt Smith as the Doctor - when Sarah Jane and Jo reunited to free Eleven. The two-parter was called The Death of the Doctor and if you're still off today and have nothing else to do, I strongly recommend you watch it. It's such good fun. "C.L.A.S.S." was meh except for Miss Quill and the episodes that had The Doctor but it wasn't nearly as terrible as "Torchwood", just kind of bland for the most part, which was a shame because Katherine is really great. I adore her.

Last edited by Nikki K; 08-25-2017 at 03:17 PM
Old 08-24-2017, 12:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Tennat was my fav doctor of them all.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Elite Fan

He was mostly okay with Rose and Martha. Not my favourite Doctor but also not my least favourite.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for those pics, Nina! Yeah, I saw those pics when I Googled her. I agree, she'd make a great Romana.

I thought Tennant was okay with Rose, but after that I wasn't into shipping him. And Four/Romana will always be my main ship.

Ohhh, Melody was River. Sorry, I forgot about that.

Yeah, I agree with you about Torchwood. It didn't really make much sense to me, and it just seemed like an excuse to expand the Doctor Who universe unnecessarily. I think RTD got a but drunk on success for a while there. But Moffat just annoyed me.

Oh, City of Death brings back such great memories. Four and Romana was totally Ten/Rose back then.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Tennant was great with Billy Piper's character back then!
Old 08-25-2017, 03:13 PM
Elite Fan

I didn't ship Ten with anyone but I liked the dynamic he had with both Rose and Martha. I didn't like what they twisted Rose into though towards the end... this needy, clingy girl who they sent the broken not-quite-Doctor-doppelgänger to fix.

Ahm, didn't you write about Melody and River up above? I had almost successfully forgot about it until you brought it up.

I think my problem with RTD was towards the end that I positively hated Donna and everything seemed to be a cheap gallery play. I liked Moffat's first season (season 5) and episodes he did before that, "Blink" in particular, also season 9 was really solid but yeah... I think he's somebody who believes in his own hype and did he produce some convoluted wank or what? So annoying.

I loved the whole "Key To Time" series... but i think 'The Pirate Planet' will forever be my favourite.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

You didn't like Ten with Donna, Nina? I liked their comedic chemistry. I didn't like how the story ended, with Donna having to forget all of her adventures. And I get what you mean about Rose. Not everyone knows how to write a proper romance, sadly.

I only mentioned Melody because you did, Nina. I had forgotten that she and River were the same person.

Oh, Blink was brilliant! That was when RTD was still running the show, right? Moffat was just one of the writers at that point. But I also agree that Moffat started thinking he was the greatest thing on Earth at a certain point.

I loved The Key To Time as well! A classic!

Which one was The Pirate Planet? That wasn't Tom Baker, was it?

Oh, and Audrey Horne finally showed up on Twin Peaks! But I have no idea how long it will be before she and Cooper reunite. Dale's still an amnesiac.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:03 PM
Elite Fan

I didn't think it was comedic. I thought Donna was vulgar and awful, that was it.

You mentioned Melody first if you go back and look. I had totally forgotten she existed.

Yeah, I think Moffat starting to think he was the bee's knees had/has probably a lot more to do with "Sherlock" fandom than with "Doctor Who". And btw, I always thought "Sherlock" was terribly overrated. I much prefer "Elementary".

Oh yes, it was Tom Baker and Mary Tamm, the one where they think they're going to some cold and boring planet and are surprised to find this thriving civilisation... it then turns out it's ruled by a bunch of mad people... one of which has a parrot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pirate_Planet

Old 08-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

I never mentioned Melody's name, Nina. I just mentioned that River was Amy and Rory's daughter, but I forgot what her real name was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I think Moffat just overdid it with River during the Smith era, Nina. And having her turn out to be Amy and Rory's daughter conceived while they were on the TARDIS was just... I don't know.
And after I posted that, you mentioned Melody, a name I had totally forgotten. Sorry.

Yeah, well Katherine Tate is pretty vulgar if you've seen her comedy show. But I get what you mean.

Sherlock was very tiring after a while. Moffat was showing off how brilliant he was, but he also made fans wait unbearably long between seasons. I watched Elementary for the first four seasons, but Arinna and I kinda gave up after that.

Oh, so then that Pirate Planet episode was during The Key To Time storyline, because that's the only Doctor Who season Mary Tamm was in.

Thanks for the link! Now I remember that episode.